Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Well, I bought The Color Of Magic by Terry Pratchett earlier today.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009

Well, I bought The Color Of Magic by Terry Pratchett earlier today.

I envy you. Enough to murder you and take it. My BN doesn’t have it..

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I just requested 8 Alex Rider books. =-)

Why?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I’ve got nothing to read. :P

Well, why can’t you request Artemis Fowl books? They’re much better.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I just did, I was going to request them earlier, but I somehow forgot.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Aw hey, Alex Rider is tons of fun. Even though it's 80% bullshit, it's still tons of fun. D:

*enjoys guiltily*
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni

8D It’s immense fun. Even more fun than Artemis Fowl, because that’s good.

Pure escapism brain candy.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009 edited

That ‘Looks like I sleighed him’ line from Point Blank gets me every time.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

XDDDD It’s so wonderfully tacky.

I envy you. Enough to murder you and take it. My BN doesn’t have it..

Can’t you order it from the BN website or from Amazon? That’s what I do when mine doesn’t have books I want.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009 edited

I’ll have to check.

According to the site it does have it. I probably just missed it.

Has anyone ever read The Lovely Bones? I was reading about it, and it looks pretty interesting. Is it any good if you have read it?

Today I purchased Joe Abercrombie’s Best Served Cold. I probably won’t be able to start for a while due to summer homework, but totally psyched for this book.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009

Has anyone ever read The Lovely Bones? I was reading about it, and it looks pretty interesting. Is it any good if you have read it?

waves hands around

Dammit, I wish you all lived next door or something, because I have two copies and I’d lend/give you one. Argh. Er. Anyway. It’s pretty good—I liked it more for being thought-provoking than having really fantastic setting or really brilliant characters. It’s definitely worth a read, though, from what I remember of it.

Currently rereading The Time Traveler’s Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Same, it was incredibly enjoyable and creative, but, I didn’t like the characters that much. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009 edited

Look Me in the Eye: my life with Asperger’s by John Elder Robison is my sister’s book but it was lying around so I stole it and read it. It was good.

Read Ophelia which is possibly worse than Twilight and now I’m reading the first book from the Bartimaeus trilogy. I’m finding it quite amusing and a nice light read, which is good as I’ve recently been reading pretty heavy books. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I’m reading the first book from the Bartimaeus trilogy.

:O For the first time?

I just reread the Amulet of Samarkand recently. I forgot how good it was.

I just finished the Hero and the Crown by Robin Mckinley. I liked it a lot, actually.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

I’ve read a little bit of Robin Hobb’s Assassin’s Apprentice, but I haven’t gotten into the really good parts yet.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Whats it about?

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

The blurb says some bastard son of a prince is trained by a king into becoming an assassin.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Ooh.. let me know if its good.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Robin Hobb’s pretty solid, I haven’t read that trilogy, only Soldier Son, but I can’t fault her much.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I just picked up Colour of Magic, the series will last me.. ooh, probably a decade. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Is The Dark Tower best in novel or graphic novel form? Novels are so much cheaper..

Dammit, I wish you all lived next door or something, because I have two copies and I’d lend/give you one. Argh. Er. Anyway. It’s pretty good—I liked it more for being thought-provoking than having really fantastic setting or really brilliant characters. It’s definitely worth a read, though, from what I remember of it.

Thanks. =)

Currently rereading The Time Traveler’s Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger.

I want to read that too. How is it so far?

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

I want to read that too. How is it so far?

It’s lovely. ^^ I suppose it is a bit gloopy. I’ve heard it basically called a wankful girly fantasy. But I didn’t think it was—it goes deeper than that, I think. Although, er, don’t look to the movie trailer for reference—the movie trailer played up all the gloop, and none of the non-gloop. It’s not nearly as gloopy as the trailer makes it out to be.

The trailer looked okay to me. There was gloop but not really the aweful kind. It’s nice to know that there is non-gloop as well though.

I got Snow Crash last week, but I just got around to reading it. So far, it’s pretty good.

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009 edited

I just got The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. It’s supposed to be Hamlet, where Hamlet is a mute 14 year old in the 70s, who trains dogs.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009

Snow Crash rocks.

just bought 20 books today for $63 :)
    squeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My mom only bought 1 book.
    1 BOOK! HOW DO YOU ONLY BUY ONE BOOK!

BTW: What’s the Color of Magic?
    It keeps popping up in this thread.

The Color of Magic is the first book in the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett.

I have to read Discworld.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009

Yeah me too. I have CoM, but going through Heir to the Empire first.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009

Yes. Everyone has to read Discworld.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009

I tried and failed. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009 edited

I couldn’t think of two genres farther apart.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009

O_o

If the Count of Monte Cristo and Romeo & Juliet can become anime, I don’t see why this should be surprising.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I don’t like or care or pay attention to any anime or manga, so it is quite a surprise to me.

with the exception of Full Metal Panic!, which wasn’t totally unbearable

This picture was what sealed it, what made me have to buy them.

A mutant four-armed Macduff.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

WTF?!

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

wtf indeed.

Macduff is four armed? How the hell.. ?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Well, he is “No man of woman born.”

Do they use the actual Shakespearian language?

Do they use the actual Shakespearian language?

From what I can see, it seems like it.

It’s too small for me to read.

I can read “Whether shall I fly?/I have done/no harm..”

Yup, they use Shakespearean language.

Mind you, Othello opens at ‘carnival season in Venice’.

I saw one of those at the library. It was Hamlet.

Currently reading Neverwhere. And yes, it was the first time I had ever read Bartimaeus trilogy, mostly because I could never get my hands on the first book. Not in the library, at least. ;)

I tried and failed. :P

@ Puppet: I keep trying to read The Colour of Magic and failing.

Anybody have that reading guide chart which tells you what to read and when in the Discworld series, and how they connect?

Just finished the Diary of Anne Frank, Definitive Edition vwith 30% more material not previously published. She’s very frank (pun intended) about some things, and I think, though I’d reccommend it to every girl over fourteen whom I know, she’s got a few strange ideas about her relationships with others and she seems to despise her family. If I read it again, I’m going to stick with the original version.

Am about sixty pages into HP2. I’m actually enjoying it. Which means it can only get better, right?

Yeah, I couldn’t get into The Colour Of Magic. Instead, I’m reading Mort.

Narrated by Death? A few people I know have a crush on Death.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009

No, the POV character is Mort, his apprentice. It is really about Death, though, being the first book in his mini-series.

Currently reading Neverwhere.

Ah, same. It’s my first time as well.

Reading Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein. Good books always give me fuzzy butterflies dancing inside my stomach.

By the way, I’ve been Googling about the book and it seems that there is a debate about whether the original version or the heavily edited version of the book is better. So which version do you think is better? The bookshop has both versions, I can settle for either,

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009

I’m back to reading my old favorites, Louis L’Amour books. I’m coming to the realization that he isn’t actually a great writer, but he really knows his facts!

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009

I’m reading Stardust right now. It’s good, I just didn’t expect it to have… adult moments. Stuff like that doesn’t bother me, it just came as a mild surprise.

Ha ha Dia, yeah, I know. I was rather shocked as well. ;P

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009

I have finally picked up my copy of A Scanner Darkly that my brother got me for Christmas. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009

The only Louis L’Amour book I have read is Down the Long Hills which i dearly love.

The last books I read were “The Book Thief” and “I am the Messenger”, both by Markus Zusak.

Oh my god. The Book Thief. I didn’t know I had it in me to cry that much. Just…..wow. It’s one of those books that keeps you up late, utterly destroys you emotionally, and then makes you wish there was more of it. You would think with all the foreshadowing (not to mention the narrator coming right out and telling you the end before it happens), it wouldn’t be such a big deal, but Good Gravy. If you’ve read it, you know what I mean. If you haven’t, you should. It’s worth it. 5 of 5 stars.

I am the Messenger was good, and at some points utterly hilarious (though not without it’s moments of poingency…). However, it sort of fizzled out at the end. But it was excellent up until that point. Again, something you don’t want to put down. 4 of 5, because the ending was stupid.

Yeah, I agree that the ending of I Am the Messenger was a cop-out, but I highly recommend it for all the stuff before that. It made me feel guilty that I don’t do community service.

And yes, I cried during the Book Thief too. I read it again, and then I cried again. (When did you cry? For me, it’s always Rudy. WHY?!)

Yeah, I Am the Messenger did make me want to be a better person…

I cried a bit about the teddy bear and the dying piliot.

But, oh God, Rudy. I was sniffling through that entire passage. Like when Death mentions kissing the children Goodnight. But the line that got me the most was this:
    Crap. I just cried again typing that up.

So I managed to pull myself together by the last page, only to cry again at the very last line.
    “I am haunted by humans.”

I’m rather raw about this book, still. I only finished it a little less than a week ago.

It’s a great book.

Indeed. It’s got to be one of the best books I’ve ever read. Definately makes my top ten, and maybe even my top five.
    I should write to the author:

“Dear Sir:

Your stupid book made me cry, you idiot! Why do you have to be some damn brilliant? I hate you, but it was soooooo good, and you need to write moar plz!

-Me”

The Book Thief… I only read it once, and I didn’t remember much about it. But then I found a brand new copy for fifty cents. So I bought that and it’s sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. Twilight fanfiction, however, takes the priority…

Was looking through it the other day and I teared up.

Anybody mind spoiling The Messenger for me?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Nooooo! You have to read it for yourself!

The Book Thief, is indeed, epic. Although, I didn’t cry…

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

The Book Thief. I was so happy, it disappeared for a month, but I found it in one of the pockets of my backpack yesterday. It’s such a great book, and I’d rank it among my favorites.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

While I was away I read: Invisible Man, The Handmaid’s Tale, We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families, Pride and Prejudice, and World Without End. Along with some math books, of course.

I've got The Invisible Man.

Did you like P&P? It has to be one of my favourites.
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy

It should be made clear, The Invisible Man and Invisible Man are very different books. The first is a science fiction about someone who is literally invisible, the second is a social drama about a black man who is metaphorically invisible.

That was my second time reading P&P, and yeah, I enjoy it.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@Sly- yeah, that confused me a lot. Because I’ve never read either, and so I never could quite tell if it was about someone invisible or someone metaphorically invisible… but now I understand!

^^That also confused me. We were going to be assigned Invisible Man over the summer, and I read The Invisible Man during the year, thinking that I was getting a head start.

We ended up not having summer reading though, so it didn’t matter.

I’m still wading through Twilight, and I don’t like to read more than one book at a time, so I’m stuck with it until I finish. I also don’t like to start books and not finish them, though I do on occasion.

I’m two-third way through Stranger in a Strange Land, I’ll probably finish it today. I’m still thoroughly enjoying it, even though the sudden influx of hippie and Free Love themes confused me for some time.

I don’t like to read more than one book at a time,

How do you LIVE?????

I finished HP2 and I was going to spork it, but I realised I’d spend more time nitpicking and less just getting it over with. I want to read all HPs in order. It’s pretty damn hard work, you know!

Hewlett-Packard? Lovecraft?

Also, I’m reading The Once and Future King. It would be great, except that White constantly throws in details that (by his own admission) DO NOT belong in medieval England. It’s really jarring when characters talk about going to Eton and read the Encyclopædia Brittanica and drink port and smoke tobacco and light fires with sticks “like the base Indian”.

My sister bought several nice looking books for her college lit course…mwahahaha. runs off to borrow a few

How do you LIVE?????

Uh, happily? I just prefer to fully absorb into one world at a time, which makes it seem really strange that I want to write more than one book at a time. I guess if I’m making it up, I need a break. If someone else made it up, I want concentrate on it.

And sense I’m reading TWILIGHT, I don’t want it to taint a book that I might really enjoy just because I’ll forever associate it with Twilight.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009

Eh, I don’t read more than one book at once, NP. I like to devote my attentions to one book totally.

I’m in the midst of reading a Game of Thrones.

I also read my books one at a time (if I can help it). It’s a bit disorienting and irksome to read more than one at the same time.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009

Eh, I don’t read more than one book at once, NP. I like to devote my attentions to one book totally.

Ditto.^^

I just finished Neuromancer and I’ve started Count Zero.

I’ve…..I’ve never read The Book Thief...

or Discworld....

hides

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009 edited

I’m reading three books right now, Storm of Swords, Color of Magic, and Dark Force Rising, which I am focusing on more than the others.

@Islington: For some reason I don’t think I’d like the Book Thief.

It’s very different in the way it’s written. It’s about how the Holocaust affects a German family, narrated by Death. I liked it, even though you already know what happens because the story it told out-of-order. But you still cry at the end all the same.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009

About the Book Thief: I actually hated it when I first tried reading it, but later picked it up again and loved it. It’s one of my favorite books to this day, and SWQ’s right. It’s a tearjerker. D:

I’m rereading the Dresden Files out-of-order because I’ve read some of them several times and some only once.

Hewlett-Packard? Lovecraft?

Harry Potter 2, Dan, you nong.

Although printer manuals are fascinating.

Just finished The Amulet of Samarkand.

Just finished The Amulet of Samarkand.

Wait, was it your first time? I could’ve sworn you read it. But that doesn’t mean rereading is out of the question. Come on, you should know.

Wait, was it your first time? I could’ve sworn you read it. But that doesn’t mean rereading is out of the question. Come on, you should know.

No, it was my second or third, something like that. I reread everything like crazy.

• CommentAuthorWitrin

“I am haunted by humans.”

I just have to read that line to remember everything that came before, and choke up. It’s probably the only book that can do that to me.

I’m currently reading The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness. I’ve just realised that he has a very unfortunate name.

Currently intimidating me from my bookshelves is Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clark(e?). Has anyone read that?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Yes, the writing style is incredibly creative and winsome, but the plot is somewhat standard and dull.