Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I liked the 5th one the best

Me too! That’s why the 5th movie disappointed me so much. My favorite book scene was when Fred and George said, “Accio brooms!” and the brooms broke the chains and flew through some stuff. They didn’t have that or any other Quidditch related stuff in the movie.

And then when they made Umbridge’s life hell!

Right now I'm reading "Good Times: The Holocaust as seen by Perpetrators and Bystanders". (Nonfiction) It's utterly sickening and depressing, but fascinating at the same time.

They didn’t have that or any other Quidditch related stuff in the movie.

That’s why I’m looking sort of forward to the 6th movie; Quidditch is back!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009

Not really, it’s just Ron blocking shots. :P

Really? Damn.

Yeah, they kind of only had the try outs and then pretended Quidditch doesn’t exist for the rest of the movie. It’s ok though, because it means they had to go down a different route to flesh out Harry/Ginny, which I think ended up working waaaay better than “OH MY GOD WE WON WE WON WE WON HEY GINNY LET’S CELEBRATE IN MY BEDROOM”.

snort Heh.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009

Reading The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare. It isn’t nearly as good as I remembered it to be, but still. Nostalgia.

My sister’s reading that. :D

I finished the Colour of Magic and now am reading Wildwood Dancing.

I was on that Google thing where you can preview books. I was just happily going along, reading ‘The Subtle Knife’, when in the randomest places they just took out pages!

UGHHHH.

Obviously, I’m supposed to buy the book, but I’d like to read the FULL preview! And yes, I already own the book. It just wasn’t with me.

Starting on Winston Churchill’s history of ww2. Picked up the first volume yesterday. I’m on page 10.

Good luck with that. ;P

“Starting on Winston Churchill’s history of ww2. Picked up the first volume yesterday. I’m on page 10.”

Inspector, a word of advice if you don’t know already. Read it as Churchill’s story, not as a(n?) historical text. Unless you are an anglophile, then go right ahead.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009

Re-read of The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall.

I just finished chapter 2 of Twilight. I wanted to slap Bella by page four. What is her problem? It’s too green here? What kind of stupid complaint is that? And she’s such a bitch. I thought that she wouldn’t get really bad until later, but I was oh so wrong. I still don’t understand why she calls her dad “Charlie.” He hasn’t done anything to warrant her not like him other than want to spend time with her. I just didn’t think she would be as annoying as she is, at least not yet.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009

I’m reading Alice in Wonderland for the first time. ;P

(This is just because I’ve never read it before)

(This is just because I’ve never read it before)

Really? That makes no sense at all… ;P

He’s a preteen. He hasn’t had as Long as we have.

Now it makes sense.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009

Alice in Wonderland is awesome! Have you gotten to the shroom-eating hookah-smoking caterpillar yet?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yep, she just talked to the cat.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Oooo, I forgot about the Duchess and the pepper! And the song! And the pig! I love that book. I should read it again.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009 edited

‘You should learn not to make personal remarks,’ Alice said with some severity; ‘it’s very rude.’
    The Hatter opened his eyes very wide on hearing this; but all he said was, ‘Why is a raven like a writing-desk?’
    ‘Come, we shall have some fun now!’ thought Alice. ‘I’m glad they’ve begun asking riddles. — I believe I can guess that,’ she added aloud.
    ‘Do you mean that you think you can find out the answer to it?’ said the March Hare.
    ‘Exactly so,’ said Alice.
    ‘Then you should say what you mean,’ the March Hare went on.
    ‘I do,’ Alice hastily replied; ‘at least — at least I mean what I say — that’s the same thing, you know.’
    ‘Not the same thing a bit!’ said the Hatter. ‘You might just as well say that “I see what I eat” is the same thing as “I eat what I see”!’
    ‘You might just as well say,’ added the March Hare, ‘that “I like what I get” is the same thing as “I get what I like”!’
    ‘You might just as well say,’ added the Dormouse, who seemed to be talking in his sleep, ‘that “I breathe when I sleep” is the same thing as “I sleep when I breathe”!’
    ‘It is the same thing with you,’ said the Hatter, and here the conversation dropped, and the party sat silent for a minute, while Alice thought over all she could remember about ravens and writing-desks, which wasn’t much.

Good times of my childhood. XD

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I was going to post that earlier today, but I didn’t want to type all of that. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Wikiquote is your friend. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

“I quite agree with you,” said the duchess, “and the moral of that is—‘Be what you would seem to be’—or, if you’de like it put more simply—‘Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.’”

I think that’s my favorite sentence in the whole book. XD

(Yes, I typed all of that.)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Braindeath!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009

I just finished it, makes me never want to be a teenager. D:

I haven’t touched Churchill today. But I did read some of “The Avengers”, which is about a group of Jews who formed an underground resistance. Interesting stuff.

makes me never want to be a teenager. D:

Heh.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2009

I just finished “Enchantment” by Orson Scott Card. It was very good and I’ll definately read it again. Now I want to read up on Russian Fairy Tales.

I’m also in the middle of “Fahrenheit 451” which is very good, but I don’t really “get” it yet.

ASAP I will begin A Song of Ice and Fire series, which is on hold for me at the library.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2009

Yeah definitely get on ASoIaF.

Mystic River, by Dennis Lehane. It’s very well-written, though I could do without the rather excessive profanity.

The Lord of the Flies. Finally got it from Barnes and Noble last night. Yay!

Currently reading Terry Pratchett’s The Color of Magic (3rd attempt, and I will finish it!) and Neal Stephenson’s Snow Crash.

Oh, and a bunch of books for school, because it never ends.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009

Snow Crash is so fucking awesome. It does slow down a bit in the middle.. but I haven’t read it in a while.

I freakin’ can’t get ASOIAF!

BAHHH. >:(

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009

Is there only one bookstore in your area?

Well, I’m not sure buying the book would be a great idea, because then my parents might read it, and then they wouldn’t be very happy at all. However, if I borrow it from the library, I can quietly read it, return it, and hopefully they’ll never know. (As was the case with Watchmen)

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Really? That sucks.

Well, I mean, they’re pretty liberal about most things, but I think that ASOIAF might be pushing it even for them. Especially my dad.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah, ACoK is fairly bad, especially on Tyrion’s end.

Maybe if you just told them? I dunno. Gotta try everything to read it.

• CommentAuthorFenix
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009 edited

I’m nearly finished in “Beyond the Shadows” the third book in a trilogy that’s surprisingly good.

Tell me by the way, how can you not get through the colour of magic, it wasn’t exactly thick or complicated was it?

I’m also really jealous of you guys who can get English books in a libary, I wish they’d stock up on some foreign classics around here.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I’m waiting for Coraline by Neil Gaiman to arrive from the library.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Where are you, Fenix?

Coraline‘s great; I haven’t read the book, but I watched the movie and loved it. And I didn’t realise ASOIAF was so dirty… Unless you’re referring to something else, SWQ.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, I’m re-requesting Coraline, because somehow, I accidentally requested the Spanish version. :P

• CommentAuthorFenix
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009

I’m in the Netherlands, you can generally get books from writes like Austin and Brontë(either one) and some recent hits like the Da Vici code in English, but that’s about it.
    If you want to read Dune, you’ll have to read a translation.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009

I just finished The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett today, and will continue on my mission of reading all of the Discworld Series.

Next on my reading list is A Tale of Two Cities [gack!] for school. Followed by A Song of Ice and Fire, or perhaps more Discworld novels. I haven’t decided yet.

Yeah, I’m re-requesting Coraline, because somehow, I accidentally requested the Spanish version. :P

You’re being very pessimistic, this is a great opportunity to learn Spanish! :P

I finished Lord of the Flies and wow. LOVED IT. And I am so proud of myself; I got most of the symbolism, which means I was paying attention while reading it! ;) Now I’m reading Foundation by Asimov.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009

I’m reading War and Peace right now, but I feel like I’m the only person in the world who has ever read it. My parents gave up long ago, and though I did meet one person who finished it, it’s really hard to read because the book is so normal, it’s like reading about real life, the author doesn’t really leave out anything, he describes everything.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

@Puppet—NO. I READ IT TOO.

:D

Mmhmm, War and Peace was…vaguely plotless, but lovely.

• CommentAuthorWitrin

I read War&Peace a few years ago. I read the first thirteen pages so many times before I got into it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009

Same here. ^^

It took me 4 attempts to get past the 2 chapter, and even now I keep having to look back because the names are so hard to remember.

My sister got the book as a prize, and it’s still on her desk, untouched. I think she’s little intimidated with 1000+ pages to read. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

It’s not the page count that makes it hard to read…

I’m amused that there’s a sci-fi series out there called ‘Peace & War’. No, really.

Did they run out of ideas when titling it or something? That’s so lazy.

I’m gift-shopping and I have basically bought nothing but books for my family. I bought The Very Hungry Caterpiller for my 1 1/2 year old sister because she needs to start getting to know this ‘language’ thing (and it’s a very pretty book), The Twits for my 5 year old brother because he needs to start reading even if what I’m shoving his way is above his reading level (he’ll read it EVENTUALLY, I haven’t a doubt), The Ruby In The Smoke by Pullman for my soon-to-be-13 year old sister because she needs to read more than manga (and I couldn’t bring myself to buy Twilight in public) and a Cthulu Tales comic for my older sister because, well, who doesn’t just love Cthulu?

Which reminds me, I dreamt that he killed me the other day.

w00t

(still reading the necronomicon)

@DrAlligator

>(still reading the necronomicon)

Obviously, you aren’t. If you were, you’d be too blind with madness to type that.

Hey, it was a scary-as-fuck dream, but the memory of it’s faded now so it’s easier to chuckle at. I mean for one thing, Cthulhu was running around with a very bloodstained hatchet, commanding his followers in a deep, hellish voice, “Off with their heads!”

The more I think about it, the sillier the dream gets.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I need to buy a book. What should I get? I feel like starting a new author / series.

Have you tried Asimov?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

No. What’s his best / more noteworthy piece? I can’t think of the name.

The Foundation trilogy. There’s also I, Robot, which has a similar anthological format, and The Caves of Steel, which is an actual novel.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

What is Foundation about?

It’s like when the Irish monks preserved reading and writing during the Middle Ages after the fall of the Roman Empire, IN SPACE.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Hm.. I might have to look at it.

Tropes mentions one of the characters as a Xanatos Gambit / Roulette for creating an entire civilization with an encyclopedia?

That would be Hari Seldon.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yep.

I picked up Good Omens by NG / TP, just because the back said: According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (the world’s only completely accurate book of prophecies, written in 1655, before she exploded), the world will end on a Saturday.

Ooh, I’m reading Foundation and it’s quite good so far. And Good Omens is great too. Either way, I’m sure you’ll find a good read, Virgil.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I was thinking of Shadowmarch as well, but I decided on Gaiman / Pratchett.

Good choice. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Is Shadowmarch worth picking up?

I find it so hard to start new stories..

Hmm… I haven’t read it so I wouldn’t know, but it sounds interesting on the amazon summary… I’d pick it up if I were you, but first I’d read Good Omens.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Well Good Omens is sitting in front of me, so its likely I’ll probably read that first.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

I am very, VERY annoyed at the fact that A Game of Thrones which I special-ordered to the library two weeks ago came in as A Feast for Crows. And now I will have to wait even longer for the right book.

Sigh

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009

You should be enraged enough to transform into Gregor Clegane and murder, rape, and pillage. Which are Gregor’s middle names and children.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I’m reading Coraline right now, it’s sort of weird, because the beginning is rather similar to a story idea I had, like I’ve already read it. ;P

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009 edited

@Virgil: I liked Shadowmarch a lot and I definitely recommend it. Except it ends on a cliffhanger so you pretty much have no choice but to buy the next one. Just warning you.

EDIT: Also, I’m nearly finished with The Promise by Chaim Potok. He’s is now my favourite first-person writer ever. Can’t say it’s as good as The Chosen but it’s still really great. Not only is the writing done well (seriously, how can one not love an author who makes someone else’s everyday life sound compelling?), but I also found all the explanations and ins and outs of Judaism surprising and interesting. Will read moar Potok as soon as I can get my hands on his other books.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Ah, no worries. Next time I’ll go down to the BN, I’ll most likely pick up Colour of Magic (if they have it) and Shadowmarch.

Oh, the Chosen was great. I never knew there was a sequel, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009

Can I get Sandman in novel form?

I saw a Sandman novel once, except it was more of a tie-in rather than an adaptation of one of the comics. Also, Gaiman only served as editor rather than writer.

And what’s wrong with reading the comics?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009

No, its that they are expensive and plentiful. But I’ll get them, I do want the original.

I’d rather read the Sandman in novel format as well, like I did with Watchmen.

Personally, I like Sandman as it is. I just don’t think some of the stuff (like the art, for example) could be translated into text without some of the meaning being lost.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009

Same with Watchmen. Things like Kovacs and ‘The End is Nigh’ sign cannot be done as subtly as it is.

No, I mean like everything in one package.

You mean if the entire Sandman series was in one giant book? Well, there are four “Absolute Sandman” books that feature all of it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

Right now I’m reading Christopher Hitchens’ God is Not Great.

@Marquis: I’ll have to get my grubby hands on those!

I’ve just finished Wyrms by Oscar Card Scot. Enjoyed it overall, but the ending was just too similar to Ender’s Game for my liking.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

You mean if the entire Sandman series was in one giant book? Well, there are four “Absolute Sandman” books that feature all of it.

Yeah, thats what I want. Preferably, I might get the comics anyway.

I’m reading Wicked for the umpteenth time. Some of the pages near the photo inserts are coming out.

@The Butterfly

>Oscar Card Scot

You mean Orson Scott Card?

@SMARTALIEN: You ever seen the musical? It’s SO DIFFERENT! Songs are great though.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009

I loved the musical, but I hated the book. D: It was so strange and… ugly? I dunno, it was just weird and not enjoyable. Same with Maguire’s other book, Mirror, Mirror.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009

I finished Coraline today, it was good but random, and the ending just seemed to drag on. =/

Until I looked closer at movie previews, I always the book title (and by association the movie titile) as “Caroline.”

That’s how the residents of the House say her name, anyway. She’s always correcting them, but they never listen.