Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2011

I didn’t think I could be more excited about this season. I was wrong.

And this season is the episode written by Neil Gaiman, too!

They totally need to do this crossover.

•  
      CommentAuthorCurly
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2011

Aha Nate, so YOU’RE the phantom user on at the moment.
    And yeah, Dr Who. Waters of Mars was cool. WHY DIDN’t HE LEAVE THEM THERE TO DIE. THE IDIOT. The Aussie guy was the coolest, blowing up the ship to save Earth. Sweet beard, too.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2011

T_T

Fuck you, cancer.

Who had cancer?!

I just found it. Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith) died today from cancer. :’(

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2011

I just heard that too… :’(

I recently started watching her original episodes, and they’re great stuff! I already liked her from what little I knew of her in the new series/Sarah Jane Adventures, but now… that just makes it all the worse.

@Nate – It’s completely inaccurate. Watch this instead, it’s much more informative. Oh, it’s accurate, as far as I can tell. Missed some kinda important parts of his story (like, oh, I dunno… him sacrificing his entire species) but was otherwise awesome.

First Courtney, then Diana Wynne Jones, now her… Why does everybody cool have to die of cancer?!

So the new DW’s out.

Slender man… O_o

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011

Slender man. Moffat is messed up in the head, how does he know the scariest things in our imaginations?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I know, that’s what I was thinking too! A creepy being with a messed-up face lacking certain important features wearing a suit… and he can mess with your mind and make you feel sick. If they all start coughing in the next episode, I’m done. I’m just done, I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep ever again.

I was watching the episode at night, and… yeah, I had to turn on my bedroom lights halfway through. SO CREEPY.

The not being able to remember them thing is what I found scary about it. I didn’t like that the premiere ended with a cliffhanger, but that’s just me. The fact that those remind you guys of Slender Man actually makes me feel better about the Slender Man because I don’t really know anything about him except that he has a suit and makes you scared of cameras, coughing, and the woods.

...And don’t you dare tell me anything else about him!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011 edited

Oh, the forgetting was creepy. I wanted to scream at them “TURN AROUND! JUST TURN AROUND AND REMEMBER FOR FIVE SECONDS!” but they didn’t!

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

I have been a bit obsessed with Doctor Who lately. Sorry, none with the Eleventh Doctor (yet).
    I really should have scanned these, but it was easier to take a picture with the camera.
    The likeness came through well on the second one, and not quite so well on the first one, but the picture was a touch to blurry to see well.
    The third one I like, but the likenesses aren’t as good as I want.
    Anyway: Its Doctor Who season! Yay!

Those are very good, Pearl! Who is the girl in the last one?

Wedding dress makes me think Donna or Amy, but Amy is with Eleven, so probably not her. I could see it being River because of who a lot of people think she is.

Right looks like Rory, so I’m guessing it’s Amy.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

Oh I meant that I hadn’t drawn the Eleventh Doctor even though I’ve done of two of the Tenth Doctor.

And yes, it’s supposed to be Amy and Rory, though they don’t look too much like they are supposed to :/

Oh, I can see that then! I though that the guy was still supposed to be Ten.

•  
      CommentAuthorCurly

WOW! You are a damn good artist, Pearl. Well done!
    How long did those take you, weeks? Months?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2011

I started season 5 recently. I am dissatisfied with Eleven, in a different way than I was, at first, dissatisfied with Ten. I only didn’t like Ten because he wasn’t Nine. I don’t like Eleven because he’s a bit lame. Not sure how lame. I’ll continue watching and see if anything changes.

Also Pearl, those pictures are amaaayzing. I am impressed.

I started season 5 recently. I am dissatisfied with Eleven, in a different way than I was, at first, dissatisfied with Ten. I only didn’t like Ten because he wasn’t Nine. I don’t like Eleven because he’s a bit lame.

I agree, though I don’t know if “lame” is the right word. I really don’t know why I’m dissatisfied with Eleven.

Oh, I have a Doctor Who IRL friend now! She was into watching all these British shows on Netflix, and she finally started Doctor Who. She just started season five and doesn’t like Eleven either. She also doesn’t like Amy, but she had only watched the first episode. I like Amy okay.

Eleven has made me like River a lot more, though. I didn’t dislike her in “Silence in the Library,” but now whenever she’s in an episode, it’s like, “Yay, it’s River!”

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Oh Spanman, I kinda want to rip your limbs off now. :(

Physical violence makes friendships so awkward. For the record, Eleven has earnt my unconditional love. It began with fish fingers and custard and will not end. <3

Of course the above is not entirely accurate, but it neatly sums up why I was ready for a change with Eleven, and why I love him so.

I still like Ten better, but that comic is… awesome. It’s really true too, now that I think about it.

It also makes think if I hadn’t binged on the show, I would like Eleven more (not more than Ten, but more than I currently like him). I would have had “curse of the Time Lords” for years instead of a couple of months.

Oh, and my friend showed me this: Comic Relief—Catherine Tate and David Tennant.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Ahahaha! That’s a great comic, Jeni.

Of course I still adore Ten, but I’m OK with Eleven too.

@NP – I saw that once a really long time ago, but I’d nearly forgotten about it! It’s great.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Oh Spanman, I kinda want to rip your limbs off now. :(

I’m sad that we’re so estranged because of this!

Actually, I think maybe the reason I’m not so into Eleven is precisely because he’s more silly than the Nine or Ten. I have this horrible penchant for brooding characters, so horrible that I absolutely ate up David Tennant’s sad, soulful expressions. I guess I should probably stop thinking about Eleven in relation to Nine or Ten and enjoy him for what he is. Sigh.

Also, I hate River. I have only seen one episode with her so far in S5, but she is so damn pleased with herself all the time that I just want to punch her in the face.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2011

I’m sad that we’re so estranged because of this!

Me too! I think I might be, what’s scientifically called, a “fangirl” now. It’s quite a strange feeling.

NP, have you watched all of the Comic Relief episodes?

No, I haven’t even seen a full episode. My friend posted that video on my wall on Facebook, and then I spent a little while watching a bunch of Catherine Tate videos on YouTube instead of doing homework.

^^I like that.

•  
      CommentAuthorCurly
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2011

I turned on the TV just now and saw and episode where

Is this the latest episode?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

No, the very latest episode just came out today. But that is the first episode of the new season, and it’s the second-to-latest episode.

Also, I’m watching Confidential for the first episode, and… it’s kinda funny to see all the British people talking about America. Is saying “US of A” common in the UK? Because everybody keeps saying that!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

No, they’re just being dramatic. Although I do need to watch this week’s Confidential, hmm.

Damn it! I see things out of the corner of my eye all the time.

watches episode ...and there goes my ability to sleep.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2011

Re: Day of the Moon

So after sporadically watching a serial every five months or so, I’m deciding on starting the original Doctor Who once finals are over. But where to start? Should I go all the way back to Hartnell for the sake of completionism, or begin with Pertwee so I can experience Sarah Jane and the Brig earlier on?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2011

If you do start with the First Doctor, be forewarned about a couple of things: first, Special Effects Failure is very, very much in full effect here. If you don’t look too hard and overlook it, you can still get into the stories, but… the special effects are genuinely awful at times. Second, because of the BBC’s habit back then of not keeping master tapes, a lot of episodes are either missing parts or simply not in existence any more, so be sure to check for that before you start trying to track something down. And third… some of the early episodes are really not all that great, I’ll just come out and say it. Some of them are quite enjoyable, but severalare just not all that interesting.

Now that the Debbie Downer stuff is out of the way, I do really like some of the early episodes. Watch in awe as he meets Nero and you learn the background of his line to Donna in the Fires of Pompeii about how he had nothing to do with Rome burning! Gasp in astonishment at the authentic way the actor acts like a very old, slightly senile man! (because William Hartnell flubbed about every other line) Gaze in rapture at the fantastic special effects of the 60s! And quickly come to realize why Barbara and Ian are pretty much awesome!

So I watched An Unearthly Child...and yeah, I probably need a list of serials to watch rather than go through it all.

Pikachu: Fear me. I’ve killed hundreds of Wailords.

The Flopper: Fear me. I’ve killed them all.

Oh neat! Chuck’s actually released a Dr Who 101 video.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2011 edited

I saw half an episode of the one with the red emo-hair and the bow tie, and I had nightmares all last night from it. OMGWTF.

The episode was called Day of the Moon or something silly like that.

the one with the red emo-hair and the bow tie

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2011

That was such a freaky episode. I loved it thoroughly. Haven’t seen the latest pirate one yet! Must watch it immediately!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011

I’ve been reading some delightful theories about mirrors and reflective surfaces. So of course I now have to re-watch the last three episodes (again) to confirm.

FOR SCIENCE.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011 edited

I had nightmares from the first two episodes of this series. I kept imagining something standing in my room, watching me. But I was too afraid to open my eyes, because then it would notice me noticing it >.< Thanks, Moffat.

I’m excited for the next episode… every time an old acquaintance of the Doctor is referenced, my first thought is ‘Romana?!’. I’m still hoping they’ll bring her back. Now I’m sure that she’s not River Song, but the synopsis for “The Doctor’s Wife” makes me wonder…

the one with the red emo-hair and the bow tie

This comment confused me until Marquis posted the picture. I never thought of Matt Smith’s hair as being red, so I was thinking that the one with red hair is Amy, but it’s not emo hair, and the Doctor has the bow tie; I guess his hair is kind of emo-ish. The Slients didn’t have any hair, so I thought maybe I missed some scary evil clown monster or something.

I’ve been reading some delightful theories about mirrors and reflective surfaces.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Hidden for season opener/Black Spot spoilers:

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Spoiiilers (but nothing not shown on TV, I don’t do spoilers):

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2011

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011

Okay, I’m starting to get into Doctor Who. For the sake of sanity and free time, I’m starting with Series Five. Just saw The Time of Angels. Oh. My. GOD. I deeply love Eleven (I have seen two Ten episodes, The Satan Pit and The Next Doctor). While I liked Ten, Eleven is just so… well, come on!

“There’s one thing you never put in a trap if you’re smart. If you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow there’s one thing you never ever put in a trap: Me.”

The Time of Angels

I know you’re starting with series five, but watch Blink. It’s awesome, and it’s when Angels first appear.

The Satan Pit and The Next Doctor

Those are not the best representations of Ten.

Ten is better IMO, and you should definitely watch his episodes at some point, but I understand you starting with Eleven since you only have to watch five and six to be caught up.

Those are not the best representations of Ten.

Yep. Personally, I find Girl in the Fireplace, Human Nature/Family of Blood, and School Reunion to be better representations.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011

I just finished the two Silence episodes. GACK. I thought they were really, really well done, considering the whole forget-as-soon-as-you-look-away bit. However, there are a lot of unanswered questions there. Interesting theories all round.

Rory: LOVE LOVE LOVE. And love a hundred times more with those ’60s horn-rimmed glasses.

Rory: LOVE LOVE LOVE.

YES!

I feel bad that he’s become the Kenny of the show though.

I feel bad that he’s become the Kenny of the show though.

Haha, that’s true. It’s probably because he’s more expendable than Eleven or Amy, so the audience might think he could actually die. Or not.

Also, Willow, you should watch some episodes with Donna because you just should.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011

Yep. Personally, I find Girl in the Fireplace, Human Nature/Family of Blood, and School Reunion to be better representations.

Fantastic choices. I would also add Voyage of the Damned, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead and Midnight.

Always Midnight.

Midnight, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, and Blink are my favorite episodes, I think.

Midnight might be number one, but I’m not sure why.

Midnight’s probably the best RTD episode for me. If only he realized that he was good at brooding horror more than the large-scale finales he always mucked up.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011 edited

To be fair, I don’t think the end of Series 5 made any more sense than RTD’s. It was just funnier thanks to the companions and Eleven.

ANYWAY... on to tonight…

Brilliant episode. The more odd shippers out there will have a field day over this.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2011

Loved this episode <3 Though that’s how I’ve always shipped the Doctor :P

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2011

Hah, same for my friend. Fortunately she wasn’t able to watch it live, so we sat on gmail later watching her squeeing and generally flailing about how this was everything she’d fanfic’d since she was 5.

Best way to rewatch Doctor Who. Ever.

Oh crap, the writer for the oncoming two-parter wrote Fear Her. This is gonna suck…

but then again, he also did Life on Mars…

I am conflicted.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2011

I loved the episode too! I have to rewatch it. It was awesome.

Come on, you know it’s true.

So how was Rebel Flesh?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2011

Rebel Flesh:

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

Not really a spoiler, but

Don’t worry. You’re doing just fine.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Rebel Flesh:

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2011

swenson,

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2011

@Jeni

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2011

Been listening to the Fifth Doctor on iPlayer. Other than how neither Tegan nor Turlough sound anything like they did 30 years ago, it’s pretty engaging.

Okay, Eyepatch Lady officially creeps the fuck out of me too.

I’m annoyed that BBCA isn’t showing the new episode today because of Memorial Day.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2011

As a result of the most recent episode, I’ve gone from being creeped out by Eye Patch Lady to being absolutely terrified of her.

Also, next week’s episode looks AWESOME. But Moffat’s repeatedly promised that it’s a huge cliffhanger >.<

Oh, and probably a major spoiler…

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2011

Hell. Yes.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2011

I must adamantly close my ears about today’s episode. I haven’t even watched Rebel Flesh yet! D:

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2011

Won’t spoil this week’s episode beyond I LOVE YOU MOFFAT.

As for the next episode,

Now for the long wait until the next half of the season. Hopefully Torchwood will be enough to satiate me until September :/

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

That was fun. Why must we wait until autumn? WHY?!

I just read the very beginning of Moldorm’s hidden thing, just enough to see what will be revealed but not what it is revealed to be. I am even more irritated that the US is one episode behind now. :/

And for the audio fans, Big Finish is having a sale right now. Six/Evelyn is marvelous.

That was fun. Why must we wait until autumn? WHY?!

This. So much.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011

Re: the mid-season finale

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011

Guys. GUYS.

Fan orchestra does I Am The Doctor

You have got to see this :D

Sorry to double post, slow board.

So, apparently Matt Smith, is, ah, special.

Terrifying Fact Number Two, is that I’ve just watched Matt Smith carrying a flaming torch on screen. Oh, it’s for such a thrilling scene in Episode 12. Really and truly, magnificent and epic. A proper movie moment. But never mind that, it’s Matt carrying a FLAMING TORCH. Look, Matt’s lovely, he’s a magnificent, brand new, hilarious, heartbreaking, heroic Doctor — but the fact is, if that man walks into a room with a coffee then it’s only so long before you’re wearing it. No, really, clumsiest man on earth. He walks like he’s in a constant state of surprise at his own limbs. I remember when he turned up at a Worldwide meeting really early on, and the first thing he did was spill a cup of coffee over a rather lovely woman. Naturally she giggled, flushed and introduced her mother. (Ahh, life when you’re Matt ! I accidentally made eye contact with the same woman — she phoned the police and shot me in the face.) On the way out he apologised to a completely different woman for the coffee incident. “That was the wrong woman,” I said, as he went out the doors. “Nope,” he replied, “That was the second cup.”

Oh, and there was the top secret, very special, extra readthrough for Episode 10 (I’m talking that up, but what the hell) and Matt came striding in with a GUITAR ON HIS BACK. I have honestly never seen a whole roomful of people flatten themselves against a wall with such a high-pitched squeal of terror. Except Karen, of course, who trotted along behind him without a care in the world. Oh, the horror as the Doctor spun and chatted and coffeed a series of delighted women. How that guitar arced and scythed! Swish! Get down, Karen! Swish! Karen, save yourself! Swish! Not her face, Matt, NOT HER FACE!! Ah, the memories. You know, to this day I’m not sure if Matt knew he had a guitar on his back — he might just have collided with a musician.
    — Steven Moffat, DWM Production Notes

Lol.

The TARDIS doesn’t swing both ways.