Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2010

Is the finale out now?! MUST GO TO VEOH IMMEDIATELY! dashes off to the rest of the Internet

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2010

O.O

Just watched the season finale. MOST EPIC THING EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPOILERS for The Big Bang; as with my Pandorica Opens spoilers, read these before watching the episode and you will hate yourself forever:

As you can tell, I’m a little bit excited about all of this… no joke, I literally thanked God Steven Moffat was born. I love that man so much right now.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Fair point. But it just seemed like such a cop-out… I guess I should stop blaming him.

RTD may have used rather a lot of deus ex machina, but you have to remember that not all of his eps are overflowing with it—sure, like the S3 finale was ridiculous, but he also wrote plenty of decent episodes (see below). He wrote Children of Earth, for example, which was, in my opinion, very good. Fans like to pick on him for the sometimes ridiculous and narmy eps he writes, and then forget about the decent ones he also wrote. And conveniently forget that without RTD, there wouldn’t be this reboot of Doctor Who in the first place.

For the record, these are the episodes of Doctor Who that RTD wrote:
    Series 1: Rose, The End of the World, Aliens of London, World War Three, The Long Game, Boom Town, Bad Wolf, The Parting of the Ways
    Series 2: The Christmas Invasion, New Earth, Tooth and Claw, Love and Monsters, Army of Ghosts, Doomsday
    Series 3: The Runaway Bride, Smith and Jones, Gridlock, Utopia, The Sound of Drums, Last of the Time Lords
    Series 4: Voyage of the Damned, Partners in Crime, Midnight, Turn Left, The Stolen Earth, Journey’s End
    Specials: The Next Doctor, Planet of the Dead, Waters of Mars, The End of Time

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

RTD can be decent and even really good at times (I loved Children of Earth), but I have a big problem with his inconsistency and his overall lack of subtlety. When he wants to say something, he shouts it. Moffat and the whole new cast bring a lot of subtlety to Doctor Who, where there was hardly any before.

The series finale made me ~squee, by the way :) I love how Moffat can make use of time and time travel within his individual plots. It gives his episodes a brilliant complexity. He doesn’t just use time/time travel as a method to throw the Doctor into various situations and ignore them afterwards, like other writers, but weaves time travel into the plot and makes it indispensable in the way the story is told.

•  
      CommentAuthorthat girl

Hey can I say thanks to all the Yanks who put warnings on the spoilers for the eps to come!

BTW What is your veiw on people that think that Doctor Who is for Geeks?

^^I would say, “of course that’s what it is.” But if they look down upon it purely on that factor, then they can go jog on.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

Moffat, you bastard. How do you make me hate and love you at the same time?

PLUS, CHRISTMAS?????

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Gahhhhhh, I can’t believe I have to wait six months!!! to see what happens next…

EDIT: River Song speculation based off of finale episodes, but probably not actually all that spoilerly:

BTW What is your view on people that think that Doctor Who is for Geeks?

Bring it on! I’ll just bash them with my limited-edition light sabre till they see the light and take it back.

But anyway. It’s not.

I would also like to say that having seen episode 11, a shirtless Matt Smith is awesome.

I’m almost done with the first season/series. It’s been airing on BBCA everyday.

Finished the entire fifth season. That was epic, and I loved the ending of The Big Bang where

Also, the Doctor in a fez with a mop is hilarious. “I wear fezzes now”. But River’s outfit… doesn’t it kinda remind you of Zoe’s entire wardrobe on Firefly?

I am confused about companions, though. After they come back from travelling with the Doctor, have they aged?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2010

I never thought about River’s outfit before! Now that you mention it, it is reminiscent of Zoe…

The way I think time travel works, at least in the DW universe (multiverse?), is that your age is determined by your personal timeline. So if you go back in time and spend a week in 1900, you’re a week older when you come back, even if you come back at exactly the same time. Presumably, if you travel with the Doctor enough without coming back to your own timeline, you’d end up noticeably older than people who were originally your age. (Or younger, in the case of Rose coming back a year after she left with the Doctor. I don’t think they actually spent a year traveling.) To even things out, I guess you’d just have to come back progressively later in your “real” timeline (so if you spend a week in 1900, come back a week later in 2010 than when you started).

Anyway, I don’t think any of the Doctor’s companions have really spent enough time away and then come back to the same time for it to be noticeable. In the cases of companions who did spend a lot of time with him (several months or even years?), I think they usually come back later so it’s not noticeable.

kthx :)

Actually what made me think of Zoe was the Springfield Punx version of Doctor Who.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2010

Martha = <3

I actually feel motivated to watch the episodes now, I’ve been watching pretty much nonstop for the last few hours.

I’ll watch Blink tonight. In the dark. Should be fun.

I need to catch up, so I can get to “Blink.” I got to watch two yesterday. I have decided that Martha is better than Rose, but Donna is better than Martha. However, as of now, I have only seen Donna and Martha in one episode each.

Blink is God Tier. It’s so awesome that it balances out the failure of the finale.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Blink is God Tier. It’s so awesome that it balances out the failure of the finale.

This is very true. We can all learn from how truthful it truly is.

Also, you should watch Human Nature/The Family of Blood. It contains a good plot, great acting, and Viserys.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Also, you should watch Human Nature/The Family of Blood. It contains a good plot, great acting, and Viserys.

I did. Quite interesting, certainly above average.

Found this a few minutes ago.

So, Gaiman’s gonna be the next Doctor with Charlie as his companion? Cool!

But yeah, Human Nature/Family of Blood is probably my favorite DW story.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Apparently—well, Neil Gaiman was on set because he wrote that episode, of course, and apparently the BBC brought Charlie on to do a vlog, basically, of how DW is filmed or something like that.

I am extremely, madly jealous.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

SO EXCITED about Neil Gaiman’s episode.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2010

Blink.

I have no words.

^^Yes, even the old Who purists can’t help but admit how good Blink is. And you’d be pleased to know the guy who wrote that is now the head writer for the show.

Also, skip an episode called Voyage of the Damned. You’ll hate it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

And you’d be pleased to know the guy who wrote that is now the head writer for the show.

No shit, Sherlock. 8P

Also, skip an episode called Voyage of the Damned. You’ll hate it.

Voyage of the Damned is one of the best Christmas episodes. Excellent characters and just a lot of fun intermingled with sadness.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Jack

“I say to thee expelliarmus!”

That line made my day.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Puppet now understands why Whovians refuse to have statues in their houses.

I think I’m gonna go watch another episode. It’s “Gridlock.”

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2010

I just finished Series 3… The final didn’t feel very satisfying…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2010

Gridlock is OK, I think… haven’t watched it for a while.

Series 3 finale stuff:

There are too many Dalek episodes, and most of them seem to be two-parters.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2010 edited

The overwhelming number of episodes with classic villains is why, despite a lot of people disliking them, I liked the Slitheen. They were new, at the very least, and not overused. The Weeping Angels are the same way (although I don’t think anyone actually disliked the Angels!)

I liked the Slitheen

I kind of liked the one where the girl was the only one left, and they were like “arresting” her. I don’t know which ones are classic villains (except the Daleks). I’m tired of the “we are the last (insert number) Daleks” storyline. There’s always more, so they are obviously not the last.

The Weeping Angels

I haven’t gotten to them yet, but I’ve heard they are really creepy, so I’m looking forward to them.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2010

I agree entirely. I hope they aren’t used in the next series or two, to recapture the sense of excitement when they do put in an appearance.

I don’t know which ones are classic villains (except the Daleks)

Daleks, Cybermen, Macra, the Master, Sontarans, Silurians. They’ve all been updated, though, with varying degrees of success.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

For a race that’s supposed to be extinct, there sure are a lot of them still out there.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

The Macra were handled very well, though. I didn’t even realize they were a reference to a pre-existing species! And the Sontarans/Silurians weren’t overused, which is a Very Good Thing. The Autons were also a pre-existing villain, but again, because they weren’t overused, it was good.

I could’ve done with just the one cybermen episode though.

And, yeah Puppet, they have found the last of the Daleks about four times now. At least the Manhattan one left it open for them to plausibly find another without finding another random sect that managed to survive.

EDIT:
    And “The Lazarus Experiment” was kind of ridiculous.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Oh, I completely forgot the Autons. I am penitent.

Also, there are many old monsters mentioned but not appearing in The Pandorica Opens.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

The Macra were handled very well, though. I didn’t even realize they were a reference to a pre-existing species!

Got a Choose Your Own Adventure book featuring the Macra, the other day. :D Still have yet to follow all the paths through.

I have one more episode to go before I get to “Blink.” I’m going to finish start studying and then watch “The Family of Blood.” Then I can watch “Blink” tomorrow. I fear my expectations of it are too high.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2010

Just finished Voyage of the Damned.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2010 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2010 edited

CATHERINE TATE! flails happily

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2010

Partners in Crime.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I felt kind of the same way about that episode.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

The Poison Sky.

“Are you my mummy?” -The Doctor wearing a gasmask

That line was brilliant.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

The Doctor’s Daughter.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2010

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2010

Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2010

Midnight.

My reaction: GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2010

SO TRUE.

Also, regarding the Library ones… “You’re in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010

Turn Left.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

The Stolen Earth and Journey’s End.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

:D

Sounds a lot like my experience, Puppet! Except I watched 10’s episodes first, so it was the other way around with getting used to Doctors.

Have you seen Season 5 yet? Although, come to think of it, you still have the four specials to watch before you get there anyway, if you haven’t watched it yet.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

No, not yet. I’ll probably start it today.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010

So just to recap.

Rose < Donna < Martha

^^Yeah, pretty much this.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010 edited

My favourite’s still Donna :3

By the way, it’s been confirmed that the 2-part opener for the next series will take the Doctor to… Utah. They’ll be filming on location. In Utah. I can only imagine what kind of plot Moffat has planned…

I can only imagine what kind of plot Moffat has planned…

Something about Mormons, maybe?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010

Utah? I don’t know… Farmer’s cows being stolen by Aliens?

Maybe the cows are the aliens. I say this is as a US American, the US episodes that I’ve seen have not been as good as the other ones.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010 edited

Season 6 spoilers:

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010

GUYS, spoilers, please? Hidden text is there for that.

Thankyouverymuch. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010 edited

Whoops, sorry!!

Further Season 6 spoiler:

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010

Oh hey, Joker. Weird to see you up in Bannerman Road.

Donna is back!!!!! I like her the best, and I’ve only seen her in two episodes. She just seems to have more of a personality than the others. Martha was alright though.

Also:

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2010

So, because my stupid DVR didn’t tape it, I had to download The End of Time from Amazon. I’ve watched the other up until that one though.

The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky:

The Doctor’s Daughter:

The Unicorn and the Wasp:

Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead:

Midnight:

Turn Left:

The Stolen Earth/Journey’s End:

Okay, so I looked at the air dates for all of these. What, did they just skip 2009? There were only like three episodes in 2009. I know they are “specials,” but there aren’t any regular episodes. That would have made me really mad.

The Next Doctor:

Planet of the Dead:

The Waters of Mars:

Long post is long, I know.

Okay, I’m going to go watch the end of time now. I’m neglecting schoolwork to catch up. Yay for procrastination!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010

The End of Time Part 1:

One day, I’ll have to buy all of the seasons, so I can see what the Americans cut out to put in more commercials because they have referenced a couple of things that I don’t remember happening. :/

Of course, I think as long as the content is fine, they let the episode run over the first time its shown on BBC America (that’s what they do with Being Human), and then when they show it again, it’s been edited for time.

The End of Time Part 2:

First of all, I’d like to say, I love:

Okay, now the episode:

In sum, I will miss:

sigh I’m kind of depressed now. :/

When The Doctor regenerates, is he like the exact same person but in a different body, or is he more like a slightly different person with the same memories

The latter.

This is me, Ari/Elleira, making it clear that I am the biggest DW fan in all of Taiwan. Possibly the biggest one in all of Asia.

...oh yes.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010

I’ll be honest, Jo in her later years looks… creepy.

Also, I’m definitely watching that, even though I’ve never watched anything else from SJA before!

I’m up to “Vampires in Venice.”

He didn’t offer to find them a nice planet first.

But they’re Daleks. They just would’ve left the planet and killed everyone they could find no matter what. The Doctor’s known them quite enough to know that negotiations mean nothing.

The Doctor’s known them quite enough to know that negotiations mean nothing.

I know. I agree with you, but he usually tries. I just said the planet thing because that’s always what he tells aliens who are screwing with Earth.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010

Daleks are kind of on his no-fly list, though. He did blow up their entire planet once already, after all…

So I’m getting reinterested in watching the serials again. I’m about half-done with The Invasion (sucks that they won’t animate any more of the missing episodes), and while it’s really slow-paced, it’s also pretty gripping.

Apparently, this is what the 8th Doctor will look like in all future promotional images and on the rare occasion that he ever comes back for a reunion.

Huh. So it was fashion sense that made him regenerate into Eccleston.

Cold Blood:

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010

Cold Blood:

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010