Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009

So. For a story, I need mythical creatures that are humanoid (as in, if you had no clue mythical creatures existed and you saw them walking down the street, you would think they were human). I already have werewolves and vampires.

Any Khajiits? =)
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Say what now?

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Medusas?

You can do what the Percy Jackson books did- make her wear a hijab so no one would see the snakes underneath the veil. ;)

Although that would not be very creative because someone already did it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

Faeries? They can be made to be humanoid. In the HP series, wizards/witches aren't a separate race, but can go unnoticed in the Muggle world.
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009 edited

Satyrs are my next suggestion.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I thought of mermaids, too, but while I might be able to work around the snake-hair thing of Medusa/gorgons in general, I don't know how I could work around the fish tail.

What else is in Percy Jackson? Dryads and satyrs, I could use them...
    Wheelchair with an aqua tank enclosed? (Drawing again from Percy Jackson- Chiron's wheelchair, anyone?)

Satyrs- well, fake feet, obviously. And hats.

But you really don't want to be TOO much like Percy Jackson.

Halflings?

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Yeah, the problem is outside of Greek mythology I don’t know many humanoid creatures. I’d offer imps, but you might consider that a joke. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I'm tempted to throw them in, just for you guys...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRT3

Okay, here’s the schpiel. It’s called a Shortfangled Humpfence. It is approximately five feet and seven inches tall. It has large, glowing golden eyes, and skin a shade of deep viridian. Its mating season is Tuesdays. It enjoys long walks on the beach, and prefers fastballs high in the strike zone.

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

^^ I just choked on a graham cracker. Thanks, RT3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRT3

I’m not sure if that’s a euphemism or not, but I’ll err on the side of innocence and tell you to drink some milk. And if it was a euphemism then what I just said sounds really bizarre.

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

It wasn't a euphemism... I seriously was attempting to eat a graham cracker, but that action got interrupted by your little schpiel on the Shortfangled Humpfence. They sound like the most intriguing creatures, and it's really a shame I've never had a chance to meet one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRT3

They’re mostly indigenous to suburban Boston.

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

You know, I was just watching a Red Sox game and I may have spied a few in the crowd. I suppose, having a specific preference about fastballs, that they would be baseball fans?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRT3
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009

Players, actually. I mean, look at Manny Ramirez. Does that guy look human to you?

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

No… I’ve actually seen him from pretty close range when I went to a spring training game once, and although he looked humanoid he did not look human. Plus he’s on roids. I have a sneaking suspicion that Johnny Damon might be a SF HF as well.

I lived in suburban Boston for years and I never saw one. :(

They must be pretty elusive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRT3

And David Ortiz is a VLH.

SWQ, indeed, their specialty is stealth. Strike that. Their two specialties are stealth and hitting for average. Wait, no. Their three specialties are stealth, hitting for average, and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope. AMONG THEIR WEAPONS...

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

What kind of humanoid is the Pope? I’ve always wondered, myself. Is there a special type of humanoid that only rides in golf carts?

Well that explains it.

I wonder if they're on the Endangered Species list...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRT3

The Pope also rides in a Volkswagen. He is a regular human with an Irregular Hat. It is believed that Jesus gave him the hat right before he went off with the alien dudes and his pal Xena, who is apparently the Jesus Warrior Princess Goddess of Scientology.

•  
      CommentAuthorOverlordDan
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009 edited

Its mating season is Tuesdays.

:D

Alright, how about a zombie? I always imagine them wearing the 1950’s gangster suit and hat.

That, or shave a yeti.

:D

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I want to throw in a zombie, but the rotting flesh might be a giveaway…

Although, what if I had intelligent zombies that were just really, really bad at running fast? I mean, I’m having vampires (although my version will not be Meyerpires, which means they can go out in sunlight (but their powers are weakened), they have a flair for the dramatic, and they’re susceptible to wooden stakes and garlic), why not have something that eat brains? Although my vampires will, again, not be Meyerpires, so they won’t drink all their victims’ blood. So I dunno how I can have zombies without them killing people…

Make it this kind of zombie.

Well spoken, polite, and persuasive :D

You don’t need to keep stating your vamps aren’t like Meyers. It’s unneccessarily defensive. I’ll just assume that Your Vampires Are Different.

How about Djinn/Genies? The classic kind, not your bottled three wishes fare. They’re beings made of fire (in the same way as humans are made of clay), and resemble humans. The wikipedia article on them can help get you started.

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard

Why not put that creativity to good use and invent your own?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

CB – planning on it. But I need other species, too.

What…. no elves suggested?

Also, there’s the old trope of “illusion”. Go with any critter and make them able to disguise themselves as human.

I could also give you a list of all the creatures from Supernatural.

Elves are so done. Then again, so are vampires. That's why I'm staying far away from both.

But if you can put a creative spin on either, then go right ahead!
    • CommentAuthorGolcondio

You could have old Egyptian divinities strolling about… they were mostly humanoid, if not for the animal heads…

...but then you’d be ripping Neil Gaiman off…

It would be awesome if Thor was running around whacking people with his hammer.
    Go to the source of all knowledge! *cough* Search on wikipedia. XD Found a really creepy mythological creature on there...pale bat people with feet and hands on backwards that magically turn *cough* dead blood and other such nasties into humans.
    Also, for slightly mythical creatures:
    Imps (No wai...), Gnomes, Mothman (XD), Selkies (Think mermaid, but they are seals that can shed their skins at will to become human for limited periods of time)
    • CommentAuthorGolcondio
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009 edited

Well, in Neil Gaiman’s “American Gods” there gods from all over the world doing what they do best, so it’s a distillate of win!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009

Half-elves?

Yeah, and throw in Drow while we’re at it. I can’t stand either.

I agree. Quote:
    bq. 1112. I will stop referring to the Eladrin as just the Elf Mk II.

Also;
    bq. 55. Before facing the dragon, not allowed to glaze the elf.
    bq. 156. When one person forgets to buy rations, eating the half-elf is not our first option.
    bq. 218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.

From The 1375 Things Mr. Welch Can’t do in an RPG

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009

Selkies are the ones that change forms by removing/applying their skins and about which legends involving humans taking their skins to control and marry them are made, right?
    Go for them, they’re awesome.

Incubi and succubi.

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard

Succubi sound awesome. Go with them.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

I have to admit, I have a soft spot for elves.

Or maybe try the Fomóire—they’re from Irish mythology, and depending on which source you look at, they’re either horribly malevolent or completely harmless. On that note, also the Tuatha Dé Danann, who are sort of like elves in Irish myth, but not really.

Or drawing from Norse myth, maybe the Aesir, who were basically superhumans, as they could die. Or Jotun, the frost giants.

Or goblins? Clare B. Dunkle’s Hollow Kingdom books have a very interesting twist on the gobli myth.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

GOBLINS! How could I forget about them?! I’m definitely using them. And I’ll look over the other ideas, too… selkies sound good. They aren’t exactly shapeshifters or weresomethings, so it mixes it up a bit.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Irish myth also has a lot of swan-maidens, if you want to use those.

Or using Irish myth again, kelpies. Although those are generally malevolent and not humanoid, but you can make them so.

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3

I still think you can’t go wrong with a Shortfangled Humpfence.

Kelpies are like horses that are water-dwelling, right? Like EVIL water horses.
    For more water-dwelling baddies, check out the Dobhair-Chu!
    Enjoy writing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2009

Would Spriggans work?
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2009

Would Spriggans work?

Spriggans are mine. xP

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009