Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009

Has anyone read the Pellinor series on here by Allison Croggon? The first book is The Naming/The Gift, followed by The Riddle, The Crow, and finally The Singing.

I'm curious to see what the consensus on this series is. I think the plot could be more creative, but the author has really good prose, and its quite poetic, but never seems to get too over the top and purply.

I haven't read the series in a while, however, so maybe I'm being too nice about it. Having a crush on one of the guys in the book might also have something to do with why I like those books. =D
    •  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009

Oh, I’ve read it. Huh. It was kinda generic, and I have to say I did get annoyed at Maerad being overly perfect and all. But overall, as a sort of once-through read, it was quite good.

Ooh! Let me guess, Cadvan? >:D

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Cadvan is awesome. I hated Maerad, loved him.

Which made The Singing torture for me. WHY, OH GOD, WHY?!

I read The Naming and loved it. I got bored about halfway through The Riddle, attempted to read The Crow, and got bored with the first few pages. I reread The Riddle a bit later and got all the way through, but didn’t understand it at all.

But Cadvan is hot, but is (luckily) too old for Maerad. Maerad has gotten progressively worse throughout the series, I think.

What happens in the Singing? Please tell me AC did NOT kill him off, or I shall have a large and embarrassing hissy fit.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

It’s worse than that, QT. I’d rather see Cadvan dead than wish upon him this fate.

Cadvan and Maerad become a couple.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009 edited

Okay, I have to admit here that I am generally a canon shipper, so at the time Cadvan and Maerad became a couple I went aww.

But in retrospect, the thing I really want to do is punch Maerad in the face.

• CommentAuthorWitrin
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009 edited

I liked Irc.

Maerad was like a Mary-Sue that's been to Mary-Sue Rehab. Yeah, she was all-powerful, but she faced the conseuences for her actions. Or, at the very least, she felt bad.

And she wasn't a Mary-Sue at the very end...what with the choice she was given. Not that she had much of a choice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009

Irc was cool. I also had a soft spot in my heart for Zelika.

Haha. Mary Sue Rehab. xD I was glad to see her get slapped with some consequences, but still. She got so whiny and angst-y.

Okay, I have to admit here that I am generally a canon shipper, so at the time Cadvan and Maerad became a couple I went aww.

I sort of saw it coming, but I waved my premonitions away as soon as they mentioned the age difference. It was exceedingly obvious, but I thought I had to be wrong. And while I do sort of ship them, I’m almost afraid to read The Singing now.

One problem I had with The Naming: No duh she’s the Foretold. We just got through an entire book discussing the Prophecy, and how powerful she is (“She destroyed a Wight of the Abyss!”), and how amazing and wonderful and damaged she is. And that wight scene where she yells ‘Noroch’... “Brisingr!

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009

XD

Preeetty much. I saw it approximately halfway through the first book. Or around there, anyway. I mean, the author didn’t even suggest any other possibilities besides her, of course it was Maerad.

• CommentAuthorWitrin
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009

And that wight scene where she yells ‘Noroch’... “Brisingr!“

Rofl. There are a few similarities between Pellinor/Treesong and Inheritance… I don’t think Eragon is going to return to the oh-so-lacking superpower he possessed in Eragon, though. He’ll just move on up to Super Saiyan 4… sighs