Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2016

I have a marketing project due in the next week or so. It’s about Pixar Animation Studios. I’d appreciate it if anyone would answer the questions that apply to them. Thank you!

Marketing Survey Questions: Pixar’s All-Ages-Appeal
    1. For All Adults: What do you find most appealing about Pixar’s films?
    2. For Parents: Are there any jokes that you understood, but your kids didn’t? Why or why not?
    3. For Parents: What did your kids like best about the films’ stories or characters?
    4. For Parents: What did you like best?
    5. For All Adults: What are your top four Pixar films and why?
    6. For Everyone: How often did you see each film in theaters?
    7. For All Adults: Do you go to full-price theaters, or wait for bargain ones?
    8. For Everyone: Did you buy any of the films on DVD?
    9. For Everyone: What are your top five favorite characters and why?
    10. For All Adults: What was the first Pixar film you saw and why?
    11. For All Adults: How old were you when you saw it?
    12. For Everyone: What was the most recent Pixar film you saw?
    13. For Everyone: Do you plan to see Finding Dory?
    14. For Everyone: Which of Pixar’s new releases are you the most interested in and why?
    15. For All Adults: What do you think has made Pixar so successful?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2016

1. The combination of simple down-to-earth storytelling with complex, emotionally deep characters that seem to live outside of the bounds of the story.

5. Toy Story, Brave, The Incredibles, The Good Dinosaur, and WALL-E, not in any particular order. Because of answer number 1, combined with their intelligent leveraging of /a/ childhood nostalgia, and /b/ cutesy yet iconic and memorable character design (large heads, large eyes, smooth lines, all innocent and wonder-filled).

7. Usually I go to my local independent, which is by nature a ‘bargain theatre’. When I want to splash out I’ll go to the fancier one 5km down the road, but they have standard unchanging prices so waiting won’t make a difference except for seating and crowds.

8. I tend not to buy DVDs, but I do have a couple of Pixar ones floating around.

9. Pixar characters, or all characters? If Pixar-only, my choices would be Merida, Marlin, Woody, Jesse, and Mr Incredible. For ‘why’, see answer 1, plus each of them have had to battle inner demons and doubts and desires that are deeply embedded in their personalities, in a way that anybody can relate to, that doesn’t feel forced and isn’t solely for the sake of the story.

10: Toy Story, when I was a wee little lad. Because Mum took me.

11. about 6 or 7.

12: The Good Dinosaur.

13: I did, but I don’t have any time now that term has started again. I might catch it when it comes out on telly.

14. New as in upcoming? The Incredibles 2. Because the first Incredibles was, well, incredible, and I want to see more of the family in action.

15. See answer 1 and the ‘why’ for number 5.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2016

1. For All Adults: What do you find most appealing about Pixar’s films?

The good stories and characters. Pixar movies are living proof that just because something is appropriate for children doesn’t mean it can’t be complex and intriguing. A lot of stuff out there for adults seems to rely on stuff like sex, violence, and general nastiness to show off how ADULT! they are, and how COMPLEX! they are, and how much BETTER they are than silly things for children, but a good Pixar movie demonstrates these things are not at all necessary.

Plus, c’mon. They’re always so emotional and adorable!

5. For All Adults: What are your top four Pixar films and why?

Hoo boy. In no particular order: The Incredibles, Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo, and Up. But that’s a hard list to do because I love many of the others as well.

The Incredibles: I love superheroes, plus it’s just plain crazy fun. I also love the family dynamics thing it’s got going on.
    Toy Story 3: everyone knows sequels are terrible. Toy Story 2 was pretty good, so obviously Toy Story 3 had to be terrible to maintain the balance of the universe. Except it actually was very good as a movie on its own, while also being a beautiful nostalgia trip and emotionally gripping.
    Finding Nemo: one of the first Pixar movies I remember my family actually owning, instead of renting. And the story is just really, really good. You’ve got Marlin and Dory’s bizarre but wonderful journey to find Nemo, you’ve got Nemo and the aquarium fish’s epic quest to escape, plus all the great characters they encounter along the way.
    Up: I SOBBED FOR THE FIRST TEN MINUTES STRAIGHT, OKAY.

6. For Everyone: How often did you see each film in theaters?

I’ve actually never seen any in theaters! I’m not much of a movie theater person; we didn’t watch movies in theaters when I was a kid, and today I mostly only go when friends want to (which means superhero movies, for the most part).

7. For All Adults: Do you go to full-price theaters, or wait for bargain ones?

See above.

8. For Everyone: Did you buy any of the films on DVD?

Yep. I have Finding Nemo, Monster’s Inc., WALL-E, and the Incredibles on DVD. One of these days I really need to pick up all of them.

9. For Everyone: What are your top five favorite characters and why?

Hoo boy^2. That’s hard. Um. Probablyyyyy…

Dory, for her sweet and funny personality, plus surprisingly emotional character arc. (I haven’t seen Finding Dory yet, mind you)

The kid from Up whose name I cannot remember at the moment, for being adorable and hilarious and earnest and all those great things. Actually, can I put him and the old guy (whose name I can ALSO not remember, shame on me) together? Their interactions and relationship was wonderful.

Violet Parr, mostly because she was this shy, awkward girl who had issues at school, and I watched the movie when I was a shy, awkward girl who had issues at school. So I’ve always felt a sort of kinship with her. I love her interactions with her family (in particular the way that she’s extremely uncomfortable and quiet around other people, but not so much around her family, which is basically me) and I love how she grows in self-confidence; as she grows more confident in her abilities, she grows more confident in general.

Boo. Okay, so she doesn’t have much of a character arc, but she’s adorable and runs around in a silly monster costume and says “Mike Wazowski” in a really cute voice and made me cry at the end.

EDNA MODE. (and guest) SHE’S AWESOME AND THE SOONER WE VOTE HER QUEEN OF THE UNIVERSE, THE BETTER. So what if she’s a side character; she is well-utilized in fleshing out the world and providing an alternate perspective on the whole superhero thing. (e.g. that superheroes are awesome and if you can do something about a bad situation, you should)

10. For All Adults: What was the first Pixar film you saw and why?

I don’t have a specific memory. Either Toy Story or A Bug’s Life, I know we saw both in school (and A Bug’s Life scared me as a kid :P).

11. For All Adults: How old were you when you saw it?

Not sure. Elementary school, so 6-9 years old.

12. For Everyone: What was the most recent Pixar film you saw?

CONFESSION TIME: I haven’t seen any past Brave. I always want to, but never actually do. However, the only one before that point that I haven’t seen was Cars 2.

13. For Everyone: Do you plan to see Finding Dory?

Yes, but given that I also plan to see Monsters University, Inside Out, and The Good Dinosaur and still haven’t, I don’t know when I’ll watch it.

14. For Everyone: Which of Pixar’s new releases are you the most interested in and why?

Stuff that’s out that I haven’t seen yet: Inside Out, because I’ve seen some clips from it and it just looks really really good.
    Upcoming stuff: Incredibles II, for the same reason as Taku.

15. For All Adults: What do you think has made Pixar so successful?
    Same answer as for #1, really. They make very solid films. Those movies/TV shows/whatever I mentioned above that use sex/violence/nastiness to prove how ADULT!!! they are? In most cases, they’re using that as a crutch to disguise the fact that they don’t have solid writing and they don’t have good characters. (“good” here meaning “interesting and complex such that the audience wants to see more of them”) Maybe Pixar movies don’t have those “adult” things (in giant, sarcastic quotation marks), but they have what really matters.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2016

The old guy is Carl. The kid is Russell.