Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Well, I decided not to post this as a feature article, since it has very little to do with what Impishidea mostly deals with, but regardless, it is a horrible, horrible book that deserves to be ripped to shreds and burned. Also, I would like to apologize for the lack of apostrophes, but I dont live in the States and the computer I use is more of a glorified calculator with colored screen and does not support the option to switch to English keyboard. Anyways, enjoy, what little there is to enjoy about this abomination:

Well, tonight I am going to do something different. I am going to review a study book. As the title of the review says, this book is called "Introduction to European Law" and it is not focused simply on law school students, those studying economy or politology can find it helpful as well. At least that is what the author would want you to believe.

Simply put, this book is just horrible. The text is atrociously written. Every other word is an abbreviation which you have no chance of understanding what is it supposed to mean unless you check the abbreviation list, which is about three pages long. This list is located between the lost of contents and the actual content, so it will take you several moments even to find it, hidden somewhere in this uncertain begining - ish part of the book. And who thought that using so damn many abbreviations would be a good idea? It makes the text near impossible to read, let alone understand fully, it will make you waste time flipping through the pages, looking for the abbreviation list. And some of them are not even on the list! Are we supposed to make up our own interpretation of the term that is unsuccesfully used?

In most cases, if the abbreviation is not on the list, it is explained somewhere in the text. And what did the author do about this? Did he explain the abbreviation right when it first appeared? Fuck no! The actual explanation is about half a page lower, so all those previous, essential paragraphs will make very little to no sense you, since you have no idea what the hell is this guy talking about in the first place!

Every good textbook dealing with any form of international law has either a list of the most important court cases you are supposed to study in order to grasp the basic principles of the given branch of the law, or has the rulings themselves included in the book, so that you dont have to dig these up from the archives at the library. How does this book deal with these important parts absolutelly vital for your education in the field? It does not. There is nothing. Sure, the cases are mentioned in the text, in parts relevant to their background, but if you want the list, you have to read the whole book, look for these mentions, and write every single one of them down. Because there is no list.

And the content itself? It is presented in a way that would even put a squirrel high-strung on caffeine to sleep within minutes. So when reading this book, you have a choice of either becoming infuriated or falling asleep out of sheer boredom, because the facts are presented in such an awkward way. I am not making this up. When reading this book, always have a lot of coffee at your disposal because, I guarantee that, you will need it.

This book is terrible. It is nearly impossible to read and even more impossible to understand, so if you wont need anger management sessions by the time you are done, at least you will save yourself a lot of money for sleeping pills. I hate this book. I hate it so damn much it gives me energy. If it is ever translated to English, even if you may be for some twisted reason curious about the subject, avoid it like plague.

0/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009

When I go to get my degree in European Law, I will remember this and thank you.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Falconempress, you might be interested in reading Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen. It deals with inaccuracies in history textbooks… and sometimes the inaccuracies are pure invention or simple lies.

Another good one is 48 Lies About American History (That You Probably Learned In School). I can’t remember the author, sorry.

I also don’t know how to italicize words here…

Sounds interesting. I must definitely put it on my list for when the insanity of finals is over. Thank you:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

@ drkeiscool

You italicize by placing _ these _ marks around the text, but don’t have a space in between the word and the underscores. Test

You also have to switch the “Format comments as” from Text to Textile.

• CommentAuthordrkeiscool
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009

test

• CommentAuthordrkeiscool
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009

YAY!

you got it!

Sorry. Now I’m teasing you.

Very funny ‘article’, falconempress, by the way.

God, your text book sounds terrible. Do you have to use that one?

I’ve had similar pains with my psychology text book. It’s boring, not very well laid out without even a contents page per module (the contents only lists the module pages, if you want to find something, prepare to flip through the book for a good few minutes), the topics within each module are laid out one after another without any clear seperation, and sometimes you’ll get case studies shoved mid way through a paragraph. The most egregrious example was a half-page pros/cons list that was split in half by a 4-page long case study.

Thankfully, we’re using a different, better text book for A2.

yup, I do have to use that one:(

@Steph – if this amused you, I am glad. The damn book is good for something then

But not for studying it. New game, guys:

10 fun things to do with falconempress’s useless textbook.

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009

Throw it on Steph’s face.

Blend it, use the resultant pulp to make new paper, print this thread on the paper.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009 edited

Boil it and feed it to starving orphans. Season lightly with garlic salt as desired. Serves 12.

Boil it and feed it to starving orphans. Season lightly with garlic salt as desired. Serves 12.

Mmmm. I love orphans! :D

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Use it to play book conkers.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

Burn it. Its tradition.

haha, i cant decide which one I like better. Maybe we can do them all! Gradually…yeeees, there is nothing like slow torture….>:)

There should be enough paper there to rip it into smaller sheaves to use for each activity.

• CommentAuthorDrAlligator
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009 edited

Throwing it at Steph would require the whole book though. Best to start from there. At the very end, burn all the smaller sheaves that were ripped. Even the ones that twelve orphans would now be digesting.

Find high-powered magnifying glass. Fill lamp with highest-watt bulb possible. Place glass between “book” and lamp. Before turning on lamp, douse book with kerosene or stud with magnesium for added fun.

Alternatively, cut out each letter and paste them into the words of a hate letter. Send to maker of textbook.