Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    I was reading this book that I sensed had some racial undertones and I posted something about it online. Well, the author responded and, in my personal opinion, she reacted badly. I know she thinks I essentially called her a racist, but I didn't. I said that I think her book and characters in her book had parallels to slavery.
    People on this site seems to know how to handle people like that. I was just hoping for some input. Please keep in mind that when I posted my review on Amazon I didn't expect the author to respond.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014

Hi carlinclare, welcome to the forum.

That the author responded at all is unprofessional conduct. You have the right to express your opinion, especially when it is in the form of a product review or criticism.

Were I in your position, I would not respond, and let the author’s poor conduct speak for itself.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Hello there, new person! Welcome aboard.

I largely have to agree with Taku. If you think your original review stated your position clearly—even if the author misinterpreted it—then letting it stand is probably the best reaction. That way, people who read your review and the author’s response can decide for themselves who they agree with. Continuing on, especially if the author isn’t interested in an actual conversation (which sounds like this case) probably isn’t going to actually accomplish anything. The author’s not going to change, and you probably aren’t going to change either.

In general, I try to avoid getting in arguments on the internet over things like a person’s intent (yours or the author’s!), how people interpreted something differently, etc. Once everybody’s had their say on what they think, if it looks like it’s going to head into “argument” territory as opposed to “respectful conversation” territory, it’s probably time to just abandon ship.

Leave it and do an exaggerated pimpwalk away from your computer.

Hi there guys.
    You guys should probably kow that I have a habit of playing devil's advocate. It's my way of trying to make people see both sides. Well anyway, this is how I see it from her perspective. She's a self-published author, who had the time to respond. Maybe if she were traditionally published she would not respond at all. I don't know; I don't really like to speculate but that's what it would seem like.
    I guess what I'm really angry about it how in her response she said that should I have a problem with any author or their book in the future I should email them first. I get where she is coming from, but at the same time I don't like to be told that I need the author's PERMISSION to post something bad about their work online. I mean, would she ask me to do the same thing if I were posting something good? I'm can't be too certain, but the answer would most likely be 'no'. The second thing that get me angry is how she keeps trying to squash my interpretation of the book. I know authors have one message they would like to send, but sometimes people could get other messages from their work. Doesn't mean they are wrong, just different. That she refuses to see that my interpretation of her work is MY interpretation, is something that I also can't ignore. It's like she keeps saying 'Your interpretation that my book has racial undertones is wrong.' I even presented her reasons why I thought that, but sadly they fell on deaf ears.
    Sadly, the racial thing isn't what makes me angrier; it's the infringing on my First Amendment right to express myself in any way or form of my choosing.
    Thanks for letting me vent.

Sadly, the racial thing isn’t what makes me angrier; it’s the infringing on my First Amendment right to express myself in any way or form of my choosing.

Ain’t what the First Amendment means, bro.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

at the same time I don’t like to be told that I need the author’s PERMISSION to post something bad about their work online

I 100% agree with you on this part. As long as you’re not, like, personally attacking somebody, you should be able to express your opinions on a subject. (and disagreeing with somebody isn’t a personal attack)

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014 edited

I get where she is coming from, but at the same time I don’t like to be told that I need the author’s PERMISSION to post something bad about their work online

If you want to post a review saying that someone’s book was sparkles and toddlers and rainbows, you should be able to do it. If you want to post a review saying that someone’s book aspired to be dumb as dirt, go ahead. Obviously unless he/she has put in place a measure that stops you from writing bad comments, you can do as you like. I’d like people to give me ice cream sundaes before they tell me bad news, but I’m pretty sure no one’s done or is ever going to do that unless they’re a complete walkover.

‘Your interpretation that my book has racial undertones is wrong.’

Interpretation is only wrong to the person saying it is wrong.