Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorPotatoman
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2013

Have you ever just sat down somewhere and let your mind wander? A little thread to see what people are thinking about sometimes :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorResistance
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2013

Sometimes I regret, a lot. Sometimes I embrace what I've done wrong. But sometimes, I just don't know.
    • CommentAuthorPotatoman
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2013

Gray areas in life are pretty common. I have the same feeling sometimes.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance

I think we pretty much live in fifty shades of gray. (Wink, wink, nudge, nudge).
    On a more serious note, I agree. I like to argue both sides of something, so sometimes I'm never really sure what's right and what's wrong.
    • CommentAuthorPotatoman

Haha that’s really true (lol at FSoG reference), and during debate class we were warned about that. I feel our own moral compass plays a huge part (e.g. our own inclinations and biases towards a certain topic) along with outside stimuli. The really important part is how we are able to respond and whether we can to our satisfaction.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance

Right, although as many have said, everyone's the hero of their own story, they do things for the right reason. Someone may have robbed a bank, but because they needed medicine for their dying daughter. Wrong, but right, in a way. You have to understand everything and then I think you can pick a side. Well maybe not everything. Most, though.
    • CommentAuthorPotatoman

Well said, my friend. tips hat Are you studying philosophy right now? I have a feeling you could do very well in it.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance

Thank you! The part of "everyone being the hero of their own story" was from Rorschach though. I just added onto it. I have too much time on my hands to wonder. Unfortunately no, not right now. Though I'd love to take a class in it, if my highschool is offering it (going in next year). I will be taking a courtroom and the law class where we go to a trial (sounds fun!).
    • CommentAuthorPotatoman
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2013

Ah, law class. I can’t wait until my high school starts (stuck with holidays at the moment) so I can enroll for a law class myself. My parents don’t want me to go too far with the whole criminal law scene ‘cause they’re scared I’ll grow up and end up representing a criminal or something lol but fortunately business law is just as fun as criminal law. Have you seen the film ‘Erin Brockovich’, starring Julia Roberts? That was primarily based on the financial side of the legal system and a small law firm VS a ginormous Evil™ company that did a lot of Evil™ stuff. If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend it. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance

No, I haven't. I'll put it on my lis of things to watch though! Yeah, I'd love to go into civil rights law, but my mum is like "there's no more cases."
    I'd love to go to school for writing, but I'd rather get a really good-paying regular job and write on the side.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2013 edited

I’d love to go into civil rights law, but my mum is like “there’s no more cases.”

Really? Really, really?

I’d love to go to school for writing, but I’d rather get a really good-paying regular job and write on the side.

Good plan. I did a writing degree at university, and it set me back about two years in terms of finding work, five if you include the time I could have been working.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. What about gay marriage? Not to mention the countless discrimination cases. Then again, my parents are paying for college.
    I'd love to be an editor, but I just don't want to be swamped in debt by the time I get out of college.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Being an editor is a wonderful career. The problem is, there are just so many editors, and you need demonstrated experience before getting any sort of decent job for it. On top of that, everyone who thinks they can write also happen to think they can edit, so freelance work is surprisingly scarce. I tried being an editor, did one unpaid job as a freelancer and then had to turn down one job as a subcontractor (on the grounds that the “book” submitted for substantive and copy editing was a dozen Wikipedia pages copied verbatim, including footnotes) before having to find a real job that actually paid the bills.

I’d still love to be an editor, or at least a slushpile-filter, but it’s little more than a pipe-dream, right now.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance

I'd love to be a "slush-pile" filter too. *laughs*
    Even though writing is my first passion, I have other things I love, other things that will secure me a job much easier. Like law. I just don't want being a lawyer to corrupt my prose or imagination, as some books I've read from lawyers are boring reads about cases with tweaks. That said, some great writers, like Bram Stoker, were lawyers. I gues it helps to be able to look at both sides of an issue when writing a book.
    • CommentAuthorPotatoman

Haha you are in the same dilemma I’m in, friend. I am a guitar player by nature (been playing since I was 7 years old) and I’ve done a couple shows in India with my band. But then I love writing as much as I do playing guitar, so now I think I’ll end up being a touring musician writing books. Hopefully those books are halfway decent but then again I seek acceptance for my music as well.

And yeah, it helps to have a balanced viewpoint when writing books otherwise you come off as preachy and trust me, nobody likes those authors.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

You could write books about travelling guitarmen who wander the countryside despatching evil with their guitars of justice and riffs of Smite Evil +3.

You could call it Guitar Heroes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorResistance

Have you ever read Deadline by Chris Crutcher? Okay book, very preachy author. The main character always goes on and on about Malcolm X (a book about racism, I think). That's fine if the author likes that book, but you don't have to shove it in our face.
    (lol at Guitar Hero ;))
    • CommentAuthorPotatoman

YAY GUITAR HEROES!!! Epic guitar solo of epicness™ Good idea Taku, maybe I’ll weave that into a book somewhere once I’m done with this novella.

• CommentAuthorPotatoman

And no, Resistance, I haven’t read that book yet. Preachy author, eh?! Calls for a spork! But after I finish my Percy Jackson review.

• CommentAuthorNossus

Have you ever just sat down somewhere and let your mind wander?

What the fuck else is there to do?

• CommentAuthorPotatoman

I dunno, lots more productive things I guess. Like write, play music and things like that.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance

@Potatoman
    That'd be awesome. Although I don't know if Deadline is quite spork-worthy. You don't want to have to stretch it.
    • CommentAuthorPotatoman

@Resistance Yeah, maybe you’re right :P Well, maybe I’ll wander around the internet until something exciting happens, I guess. Story of my life right there. xD

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance

Same *laughs*
    I'll hopefully be getting around to sporking Hush, Hush. I got it (for the second time) from the library (not paying eighteen dollars for this crap) and the woman was clearly giving me a look that said "why are you taking this out again"? I'd tell her, but I think she'd think I was quite insane putting that much effort into disliking a book.
    Then again, the first line from the back cover is - "Patch's eyes were black orbs." So I guess its worth it.
    • CommentAuthorPotatoman

Lol, and the whole bit about one of the main character’s name’s being Patch… I mean fricking seriously?! Patch?! What is he, some kind of evil pillowcase or something? It’s books like these that turn me away from being a serious YA writer (but then again there’s the other part of my brain that goes “YOU CAN DO IT!!”) so I suppose everything balances out in the end.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance

I may just have to quote you on that evil pillowcase thing. Patch's name is the least of his problems, though, in this book. Hush, Hush is going to be fun to spork. YA fiction can be done really well when it's like Go Ask Alice or Harry Potter. Not to gritty, but not covered up with euphemisms either. I just don't like books like Pretty Little Liars or Twilight.
    • CommentAuthorPotatoman

Feel free to quote me. xD And true, I like it when a bit of dark realism is injected into the books, but I really didn’t like the last book of Harry Potter because I felt Mrs. Rowling went a little far with the whole death stuff. But in the end it was a war and she was the author. I just felt sad when Dobby, Hedwig and Fred died. Not cool :( My favourite characters! NOOOOOO!! :’( Anyways i agree with you, I don’t like books like Twilight because they’re too glittery (pun fully intended) and most of that bundle of pages is just Bella fawning over Edward to a sickening degree. Blech.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance

I don't even remember the last book. But I do remember when Fred died. Though I guess that's better saying "Pysche! Not dead!"
    I'm sort of cynical, so I don't like happy endings, at least not with a sacrifice.
    • CommentAuthorPotatoman
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013

I feel some people have to earn their happy endings, but it’s a little out of place when everything goes TOO well. Then you find yourself hoping something goes wrong just to prove you aren’t going crazy. Meh, happy endings schmappy endings. I like realistic stuff but a Super Mario ending Is just fine with me.

• CommentAuthorPotatoman

Just to add a little more to this thread, I think it’s pretty cool how there are so many awesome, funny, accepting people on this website. I salute all of you raises glass of orange juice.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance

I love the idea of "earning" your happy endings, or paying for them. When things go too well for me, and I had to sacrifice nothing, I always know doom is coming *laughs*.
    "I think it’s pretty cool how there are so many awesome, funny, accepting people on this website"
    Same here. *clinks glass of orange juice*
    • CommentAuthorPotatoman
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2013

xD Doom is coming… that sounds so cool! Great name for a heavy metal song, which is exactly my forte. And yeah, I’ve been searching around the net for a cool writer’s website since I was 12, and I think I’ve finally found it! This place is great! I mean a flying castle, a crazy guy in a lab coat who gives us all free lobotomies, what’s not to like? :P Haha ImpishIdea is awesome, I can’t wait until I finally charge my Macbook so I can start sending in some articles.