Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

(Sorry if I’ve spelt the state wrong.)

This is a restart of RikkiTikkiTavi and my conversation from the ‘Interview with CP’ thread. Basically: Eragon narrated in Southern Drawl. It should be obvious. Feel free to join in!

—-

“Papaw, ah fouwn’ a noo shah-ny blew sto-un. Kin ah kip et?”

• CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009

Just for the record, I live in the South, and that is most certainly not a Southern Drawl! xD That’s not even Huck Finn Southern Drawl! xD

Still I can’t wait to see how that turns out.

Oh, shut up lol! Cut a poor old Aussie some slack!

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

Yeah, sorry Steph, even a girl from the Mid-Atlantic could cry foul on that one. Maybe this:

"Paw, I been wantin to show you this 'ere egg I found th' other day out in the woods."
    "Well wouldja lookit that, boy! That egg's big 'nuff tuh gag a maggot on a cowpat. Give it 'ere so's your Aunt Fanny kin cook you an' yer fifty cousins some breakfast."
    "Awww, I don' know, Paw, I'm a thinkin' that egg's like ter be some trouble."

That any better?

Yeah, lol. But as a complete non-American, I tend to accentuate the accent everywhere it pops up (which is everywhere) so that’s probably my problem. Anyway, RTT played along! I’m waiting for shim to pop up and post the next bit.

Oops! Sozzy, me didn't know I was so integral! *gasp*
    Here ya go. And I suppose we were going for extreme Rural Appalachia over Southern Drawl (Hairs anulla furry starry...."sorghum stenches")

"Iffen yuh can' eaddit, don' kip et. Seel et."

“Aw-kay, Paw. Iffen ah kin sell et fer sum meet, that’ll be sumpin’. Say, Tray-duh Man. Dija wauna lookie-here et dis dang big shah-ny blew sto-un? It’s big es one-a Uncle Garrer’s sheep’s drahppin’s.”

—-

Thinking back, it wasn’t Pa, anyway, was he? It was Garrow all along. Oh well. here is where everyone can continue on.

@ RTT: You are now expendable.

(If it is rural enough...Garrow might be Pa anyway.... XP)

(lol oh yeah. Quick retcon:)

“Eragahn? Ah am yer ‘ncle Garrer. Now go seel th’ sto-un.”

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009 edited

*dies laughing*

Aussies imitating a Southern drawl... XD That's got to be one of the most hilarious (and incorrect) impersonations I've seen yet. :D

Hey, if you’re dead, you can’t talk. Shut up.

You just wish you could hear me reading this out loud.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

True. That would be priceless.

And since I am with me at all times, and can hear my voice wherever I go, I win!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

But you’re not American, so you have no idea how priceless it would be to me to hear you try for the extreme accent.

You know, sometimes, I can’t believe that Americans talk in their accents all day and don’t burst out laughing at how they sound. Then I remember that it’s all they hear, poor dears.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Oh, jeez. Not one of those people again. If you think we ought to burst out laughing at our own accents, then I think you should swoon every time you hear the sound of your voice. The same goes for British people. Being American is so unfair. XD

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Hmph. I still say I don't have an accent. And it's pop, NOT soda. *grumbles* The fools...

You should record yourself talking in a "southern" accent and post it on here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRT3

I love foreign impressions of the south.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep

Sorry, swenson, but south of the Mason-Dixon line, it’s soda, or coke (and who drinks Pepsi anyway?).

@ swenson. Soda is nom. Pop is music.
    • CommentAuthorEric

If you want to hear a fairly extreme southern accent, listen to J.D. off of the last season of Survivor. That’s about as strong an accent as most people have in the south, other than a very small population. I live in the south, and I have an accent, but it’s not nearly as strong as some people would like to think.

But, on the flip side, I think Aussies have a funny accent as well. No offense.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Soda is like baking soda. Pop is the delicious beverage. Soda pop is a bastardization that should never, ever be used.

Do they really call it “coke” in the South? I’ve heard that before, but didn’t know if it was actually true…

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

If we’re going to get into this, pop is an onomatopoeia. And really, it’s like calling a sandwitch a sub or a hogie. It all depends on where you are.

And, yes swenson, down south (at least in Georgia), a catch all term for carbonated beverages is coke. Most of them are made by Coca-cola anyway.

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

Apep is right. There's no such thing as Pepsi in the south. Who would want it? Pepsi is nasty anyway. And if it's not a Coke, it's a soda. Pop is just.... no. It's a type of music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

Oh dear. Proof that nobody but Zora Neal Hurston should write in dialect. Well, maybe Brian Jaques too. Wouldn’t that have been awful though, if Paolini had decided to go beyond a smattering archaic diction, and actually typed out the dialects? shudder

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

You know, there's a video on youtube of Paolini actually attempting to read stuff in the "Ancient Language" to some unfortunate children in some Borders Book Club thingie. It's vomit-inducing. I don't recommend watching it, unless you have a death wish. The elves were sufferable, but I had to stop when he started imitating the trolls or dwarves or whatever.
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy

Hmph. I still say I don’t have an accent. And it’s pop, NOT soda. grumbles The fools…

Yes, it is pop. Someone else who sees the light.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Hallelujah!

And hmmm… yeah, Brian Jacques and Mark Twain are the two people I think of when I think of “dialect”. Hopefully I’m not the only one who read all of the dialogue in the Redwall books out loud… and could say anything in several different dialects, including mole and hare?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

It’s definitely pop or sodapop here in the Midwest. Unless you’re the sort of person who calls Missouri “Missouruh” (MY BIGGEST PET PEEVE OKAY. CAN YOU NOT SEE THE ‘I’ IN MISSOURI? CAN’T YOU?!). Then you say soft drink.

Anyway. If you want to hear an extreme Southern accent, I can provide several choice specimens from various neighbors and friends. Missouri isn’t the Deep South, but somehow the citizens of the boondocks think it is.

@swenson

>Hopefully I’m not the only one who read all of the dialogue in the Redwall books out loud… and could say anything in several different dialects, including mole and hare?

No, you aren’t. In fact, after I listened to the audiobooks, I did all of Brian Jaques’s own mole voices.

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

Span, I don't even live in Missouri and I find the "Mizzurruh" thing annoying. Yes, I've heard people pronouce it that way. I used to live in West Virginia :/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

EDIT: People editing their posts like lightning!

Yeah Amelie, the people who say Missouruh are the same people who say Mundee, Tuesdee, Wednesdee, Thursdee, Fridee, Saturday (somehow this one usually gets left out), and Sundee. Why. WHY. The correct way is right before their eyes. Why do they ignore it?!

*sobs in a corner*

EDIT: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

This is hilarious! Unfortunately, I live so far north I have no idea how to do a Southern drawl. I will simply watch. And laugh hysterically.

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

@Span-- For the same reason that certain people choose to pronounce "nuclear" as "nuke-u-lar" :*(
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Yeah, well. It's a hard word. Sometimes I mispronounce it without thinking. >>
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearl

So “nuclear” and “nuke-u-lar” are the same word? Because for so long I’ve felt as though I’ve been missing out on something scientific.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Yes, yes they are. People pronouncing it “nuke-u-lar” are the ones missing out on something scientific.

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3

I do it ironically though…

Um. Hello? Eragon? Gawsh.

Ha ha. Could we possibly post a piece of Rural Eragon with each post? It’s just that I’d love to see where this goes.

(By the way, my Southern impression frequently gets confused with Mammy’s accent from GWTW.

—-)

“Hey, mistah butchah man, kin yer give me a foo’ pee-ces o’ meet? Ah’m starved hongrier then a cowboy aftuh a day-long shuffle on a square-mile ranch!”

(bad saying. I know.)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009

Ah cain’t give yuh the meat, son. Bein’s how yuh got the stone in the Spahn.

Guess what? I’m terrible at this too. Saying it isn’t hard. Writing it down is ridiculous. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009

Yer a nahstah ol’ man an’ Aye hope yew burn en-

Hey, Paw!

Katrin-er! Whatcha doin’ he-er? Git on home!

Paw, give ‘im ‘is meat! Or else Mistuh Horst’ull waste ya!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009

(somebody needs to do this gangster style)
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

(I would, except I’m very, very bad at ghetto-speak. Even worse than Steph is at Southern-speak.)

Oi, mate! Y'know, I resent that remark!

I can't actually do a 'proper' Aussie accent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Yeah. I’ve never even said ‘oi’ in my life.

I've said it. And 'mate'. But it's not common. I'm over that phase now. Kath and Kim ftw.

Lol, I saw Tropic Thunder, and the Aussie accent Kirk Lazarus had was the worst I've ever heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009

I love Australian accents! But mostly because I adore Finding Nemo and Zero Punctuation.

Yahtzee is a British expatriate.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009

With a pretty accent.

And you’re right… I forgot that.