Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2012

I’m curious how every came to be here. It’s strange to think about all the cosmic coincidences that take place to bring people together.

For me it was enjoying The Epistles on Anti-Shurtugal, which lead me to Uru’baen. That became Deux Ex Machina, where I was a moderator. Later on, I decided something had to replace AS, and so II was born.

Anti-Shurtugal articles led me to here.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

I found a link to the You Slay Me Sporks on some site. I think it was TV Tropes, but I could be wrong. I found them pretty much hilarious, and I lurked around here for about a year before I started posting in the Maradonia Sporks.

And then I joined the forums!

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Well, I was shown the main website (specifically some article or other mocking Twilight) by a professor’s pre-teen daughter at my college. I thought it was funny, then went back to the website later and read all the related anti-Twilight stuff. Then I saw a button that said “Forum”...

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Anti-Shurtugal’s Eragon articles led me to Uru’baen, then I promptly dropped out of view for a couple of years. Eventually, on the Shurtugal fanfiction forums, someone linked to something here (I think it was a Twilight thing?) and I just sort of stuck around. The Twilight and Eragon stuff was pretty great, and then there were the Maradonia sporks, and… well, I just discovered I liked the place. :)

I was an Eragon fan, sorta. I was looking on the Inheritance-wiki and found an article on “anti-eragoners.” One google later, anti-shuturgal. I hopped on to that one blog . . . thing by that one person. And had followed an AS link here.

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach

Similar to Sly: AS, then Uru’Baen, then DES, then II.

But if we were going one level deeper, I went to see the Eragon movie with a friend of mine who was a HUGE fan of Inheritance, and all of us intensely hated the movie with the passion of a thousand fiery suns, so I went home and started Googling, and suddenly I found Anti-Shurtugal.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

First I spent time on Anti-Shurtugal, and then when that was abandoned, I moved to Dog-Eared. When that too was abandoned, I followed Axegrinder’s link to ImpishIdea, and here I am.

• CommentAuthorMerlitaru
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2012

Facebook for me, someone was doing a spork on Eragon and linked it there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

The “Everything Wrong with Eragon” articles first drew me here (I was probably Googling Eragon reviews). I liked the series at the time, but I remember finding the whole bit about Eragon constantly re-stringing his bow hilarious. Juniper eventually directed me to the forums, and that was that.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2012 edited

I can’t remember, but I think it was pretty similar to Danielle. Except I only lurked pre-split A-S (with that really old-school website), joined D-E, and then followed Axegrinder’s blog. From there I was either linked from Axegrinder to here or I followed Jeni over to here from Deux Ex/Carrot Sticks or whatever that was called in the end.

I stumbled across A-S when I heard about this movie called Eragon and thought that sounded an awful lot like Aragorn and after a little bit of googling, stumbled my way into anti-fandom. The movie was a hilarious disaster to sit through though.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Back in ’05, Anti-Shur’tugal was born in a wee IMDb forum for the film adaptation of Eragon.. In one or two ways I regret to say that I was there… but I was there. Oh God. That was seven years ago.

For me, it was the ‘Everything Wrong With Eragon’ articles.

Followed a link from GTesch’s page on ED, which I found because it was a featured page when I happened to go on there one day. I held off joining the forum here for a long time when I read you had to apply; I thought I’d have to submit my writing credentials (non-existent) or be published or something to be able to join! Glad I just tried again anyway.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

It’s all in my author bio. Wandered in from an isolated religious sect, started debating with local populace, gained a place in their society. Not a place of honour, as such; just a place.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I found it via Googling Gloria Tesch. There was actually a long time where I couldn’t figure out how to navigate the site and thought that the tags were the only form of navigation. I learned.

I found it via Googling Gloria Tesch.

This. I was looking up who the “world’s youngest author” was because I was seventeen and wondered if I could still be in the running if I hurried (I was a stupid teenager, okay?). Then I found a bunch of her spam answers to that question and looked her up, which led me to Ari’s original Maradonia sporks. Then I read a bunch of Twilight articles on the sight, wrote my own, and joined the forums.

I slowly became disenchanted with the Eragon series with each and every book (I almost throw Book 4 across the room 50 times). Finally, I looked up some critiques on youtube (distinct vagueness is the best), read the 1 star reviews of Book 4 on Amazon, and then stumbled across this site while googling anti-shurtugal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

That was seven years ago.

I know. It makes one feel old.

I found it via Googling Gloria Tesch. There was actually a long time where I couldn’t figure out how to navigate the site and thought that the tags were the only form of navigation. I learned.

The coding-induced agonies I suffered in the endeavor to make the navigation appear on every page of the site in an aesthetically-pleasing fashion has been validated.

That said, I was a longtime lurker within the antidom. I lurked the IMDB boards. I lurked the old AS site. I used to be fairly active on the AS LJ, but these days, I mainly lurk and post the occasional reply. I lurked all the incarnations after the split. And then, for reasons I don’t even remember, I decided that, of all the offshoots to actively participate in, it would be II.

And so ended my long reign of lurking.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2012

One day I went looking for the anti-shur’tugal and found this site. That was like three years ago

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2012 edited

I think it was around 2006/2007. I’d been reading some stuff on A-S (I remember writing a bit of an essay on Eragon), and somehow I ended up here, probably via the Everything Wrong With articles.

Edit: Just checked the archives for those articles. I guess it was 2008. My memory is getting a bit fuzzy.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2013

I was watching the WriterfromNowhere's commentary on Gloria pimping out Gold of Ophir, which led me to Google Maradonia, leading me to Ari's Maradonia spork, I left the site, then found it again Googling Maradonia and Rorschach's sporks.
    • CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2013

I was on AS, UB, DEM and now I’m here.