Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCGilga
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009

I’m not going to lie. I’ve read very little fantasy. So little that I’m generally lost in the “Oh, have you heard of…?” conversations. I was wondering if you have any recommendations as far as the fantasy genre goes. I’ve read GRRM, and LotR, but very little beyond that (to the point that I don’t even remember who the author was, and what books they were. Any help?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Looking for suggestions? Well… lately I’ve been into speculative adventure fiction (which is a very interesting genre… unfortunately they run out of plots too quickly. I mean, what else is there to talk about other than terrorists taking over the earth, terrorists taking over the earth with nukes, or terrorists taking over the earth with diseases?!), but… do you like “traditional” fantasy or “modern” fantasy or don’t care either way? Read the Artemis Fowl books… and the Percy Jackson ones, too. And Pendragon. Those are the three biggies for “modern” fantasy, I’d say. At least in recent years.

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

I wasn’t aware Artemis Fowl counted as fantasy? Make that 3 series.

I honestly don’t care what type of fantasy it is.

Temeraire series
    Read it. Love it.

There is, of course, Harry Potter too.

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

Thanks for starting this thread CGilga; I’m pretty much in the same boat. I mean, I’ve read Harry Potter and Artemis Fowl, and I tried to read LotR, but I found Tolkien’s writing style to be abysmally dry. I would appreciate some good fantasy recommendations.

You need to read the Bartimaeus Trilogy , by Jonathan Stroud. That is mentioned here quite a lot. And it’s quite funny.

•  
      CommentAuthorZombie Devin
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009 edited

If you enjoyed Martin, try Abercrombie's "The First Law", great books. For some deeper sci-fi/ fantasy, there's "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?" by Philip K Dick, "The Golden Compass" and its sequels by Philip Pullman, and "Perdido Street Station", by China MiƩville.

Edit: I would also like to second Nate Winchester's suggestion for Temeraire, very good reading there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

You know, I own the first in the Bartimaeus Trilogy, but I never actually read it.

The Edge Chronicles series is pretty good. The first is meh, but it’s generally very good from the second book on. And the illustrations are beautiful.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Ooo, I forgot about the Bartimaeus Trilogy! It’s awesome. But I cried at the end.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Obvious recommendation is obvious… A Song of Ice and Fire. I liked R.A. Salvatore as an introduction to fantasy, although some more snobbish people might disagree. His Dark Elf Trilogy to be specific.

@ CGilga:

Go read it. I read it again last night. I’m up to part three. If you read up to there, then we can read together from then on! YAY! (well, you don’t have to, but we should!)

@ swenson: I just pretend to myself that he got out of it.

That was a bit sad, but I can’t think of any other way for it to have ended without more books :(

Great to re-meet you! (is this an intro thread?) :D

Neil Gaiman’s books count as urban fantasy. I’d suggest basically any book by him – Neverwhere is exceptional though.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009

I’m annoyed at myself for never getting his books. I always have something else I’m reading when I mean to. I began American Gods and it seemed really promising, though.

• CommentAuthorMegaB

The thing that disturbs me about the Bartimaeus Trilogy is that it is Black Magic at its dirtiest. I’m actually not kidding; I don’t know who this Jonathon Stroud really is, but he describes the rituals and summonings as if he has witnessed them first hand.

I’ll be frank: It scares me. A lot.

I loved American Gods. Read it. Read it! shakes fist

:D

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Aye, aye, sir. I was going to try and finish it while I was in the Barnes&Noble, but one of the employees must have realized what I was up to.

• CommentAuthorMegaB

LOL! That good? Can we have a synopsis and thoughts please?

Well, I can’t relate anything without giving up some plot points, so its spoiler’d.

I can’t say any more without fear of ruining the book for people. Wisper me if you don’t care about the spoilers.

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

Aye, aye, sir. I was going to try and finish it while I was in the Barnes&Noble, but one of the employees must have realized what I was up to.
    Lol, I do that all the time, although I try to hide in places like the nonfiction history section where no one will ever notice me.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

I try to “steal” books all the time. It was great back when I just rushed through books like an excitable moron child, but it takes a bit longer now that I try to analyze the writing. Alas.

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

Oh, the woes of being an intelligent reader.

What did hedo about it? You should have just cited the store’s policy and said all is fine.

• CommentAuthorDrAlligator
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009 edited

I haven’t read American Gods yet. I know how awesome Gaiman writes, but it’s so big that I’m worried I’ll just be sucked up into reading it when I should be doing other things, and I’m already expected to dedicate my summer reading more intellectual novels.

And I’ve decided to spend my summer reading this website. A futile task :P

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I know! The instant you get all caught up, fifty more replies come in!

Unless I make the claim to my English Literature teacher that American Gods is a commentary of today’s culture and the death of old beliefs (based only on your summary, Dan), then maybe I can read it ‘intellectually’.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Just read it, you pansy. :D

I want to…

Psh, no, too easy. Anyway I have too many other books to get through at the moment.

On topic though, The Once And Future King by TH White is considered fantasy – it’s Arthurian legend retold. It’s quite funny and absorbing.

btw I’m also disappointed in you.

A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin is Neverwhere wrapped in sorcery.

The First Law trilogy has the worst ending of anything I've ever read ever.

The Age of Misrule trilogy is good if you can get over how anti-religion preachy it is. Seriously, like every other page.

hrrmmm...that's all I can think of right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep

I recomend the Dresden Files series. Urban fantasy done well.

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009

CB, I’m actually not surprised. It’s not even related to this, is it?

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010

Anything by Lloyd Alexander. His good stand-alones are:
    The Marvelous Misadventures of Sebastian
    The Iron Ring
    The Rope Trick
    The Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain
    The Cat who Wished to be a Man.
    And there's also the Westmark trilogy:
    Westmark
    The Kestrel
    The Beggar Queen

And of course, his most famous books, the Prydain chronicles:
    The Book of Three
    The Black Cauldron
    The Castle of Llyr
    Taran Wanderer
    The High King

Other fantasy author's I'd recommend:
    Peter S. Beagle, (The Last Unicorn)
    Robin McKinley (The Blue Sword, The Hero and the Crown, The Outlaws of Sherwood)
    Ursula LeGuin (A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan)
    • CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010

I actually have Ursula LeGuin’s A Wizard of Earthsea, but I never got around to finishing it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010

You should. Ursula Le Guin is pretty much the personfication of Amazingness.

She wrote Gobbelino, The Witch’s Cat, am I right?

Damn, I have so much to catch up on and read.

... wait, that’s a good thing, isn’t it?

^^Seconded.

The Earthsea books were very interesting, but I didn’t like Tehanu that much. However, I LOVED Tombs of Atuan.