Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Awesome news, fellow Imps! This weekend is the Christchurch, New Zealand, Armageddon Expo. It’s basically the closest thing this quake-ravaged place gets to an anime/scifi con. And guess who I just found out is coming for one day only? Christopher Paolini!
    My mission is to go there, armed with a copy of Eragon to get signed for the hell of it, and see if I can ask him a few questions, suggested by you guys, of course. So, anything you want me to ask, post here and I’ll do my bestest (double superlative because it’s a once in a lifetime chance) to ask him. Plus, I’ll try and get a photo with him to put up here, as the kids say, “for the win”.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012

“Did you always intend for Eragon to be the villain, or did he fall into the role unexpectedly?”

I would LOVE to get a recording of his response to that. HD video if possible.

good luck!

• CommentAuthorDeborah

Ask him how much research he typically does.

And maybe why Eragon didn’t turn invisible when he saw the soldiers on the road in Brisingr.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

All the things I want to ask him are old in-jokes nobody would get, least of all him. Pity.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

“How much Alagasian history did you intend to include in the trilogy, and why do only small, confusing snippets make it into the narrative?”

“Why was Eragon relatively family-friendly, while Eldest contained jarring and often random references to nudity and sexuality that added nothing to the plot?”

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

What are you planning on writing next?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Bring a copy of Twilight and ask him to sign it.

^ That’s just mean.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Burn, Puppet. Burrrrrnnnnnn. XD

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Oooh, that’s just terrible.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012

“How many drafts did you write on average, and what tips can you offer other writers about proofreading?”

“What in your opinion defines the Varden as heroic and the empire as evil?”

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Do you have any regrets about publishing so early in life (i.e. in the jungle of adolescence)?

Is there anything you’ve learned from writing Inheritance?

I’ll try and ask as many as I can (I don’t know the etiquette of these things, like time, recording devices, etc). And perhaps I could make an article for the site with what I get? It looks like he might be doing a talk too, so there should be the material. Especially if I can record it all. If there’s a public Q&A, I’ll be sure to ask Taku’s question: “Did you always intend for Eragon to be the villain, or did he fall into the role unexpectedly?”

Ooh, a transcript of his speech would be interesting.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

Oh, oh! I’ve got one!

“What’s the difference between the Varden and a terrorist organization? They both use similar tactics.”

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Why is Eragon so irredeemably shoddy?

I’m kidding, I’m kidding.

I think it’s a legitimate opportunity to find out what this crazed mess looks like from the inside, and were I you I’d save the troll questions for last. I’d like to know exactly what Paolini thinks of Galbatorix and the Empire and their relationship with the Varden, or Armada’s second question.

Found a voice recorder from my uni days, so I’m all set. Also, for the purposes of signing, my name is Ian Isaac and I’ll get him to use my initials only :wink.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012

NICE

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012

See if he’ll spill a little ink in one corner for me.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012 edited

Oh, that’s great.

Well… that was certainly interesting. He’s a really nice guy in real life, and talks about his books with a real boyish, sincere, enthusiasm. It makes it hard to try and be “mean” regarding his writing, and I gained a weird respect for him, after all the stuff I’ve read online. I got in two questions (Taku’s one and Armada’s on how many drafts he does) and recorded his talk/panel, which I’ll start transcribing for you guys tomorrow. Do you think I should make a transcription and a separate article, or combine the two?
    I didn’t want to get into what Inkblot called “troll” questions: we could only ask questions for the panel since he was damn busy signing (an hour and 15 minute wait for me). And seeing all the little kids there held me back! Hell, I’m happy to see younger kids reading at all, and something that isn’t Twilight to boot.
    Anyway, here’s something that I haven’t seen anywhere else yet, so let’s hope it’s an Impish Idea exclusive: He’s finished the outline for Eragon 5, and its name has been mentioned in Inheritance. Also, it ties up some lose ends from Inheritance.
    Oh, and we have a signed book!

Wow, thanks for doing all that, Minoan Ferret! Out of curiosity, how did he react to Taku’s question? Also, since when is there a 5th book?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2012

how did he react to Taku’s question?

YES. Transcript soon, please.

Also, since when is there a 5th book?

Since today? I was really surprised too! I think he mentioned what was in it vaguely, but any more info would see us having to be confined to his parents’ basement. I’ll start typing tomorrow morning (12 hours or so away) since I’m damn tired right now. Being crushed up against heaps of fellow geeky types is pretty stressful. Expect it in under 24 hours from this post unless I say otherwise, and in a new topic. I got good audio sitting up on a railing next to a speaker so it should be straight forward, though some of the audience questions were inaudible. I’ll be guessing those, but he did repeat them back for the most part.

I can’t remember what he said exactly re: Taku’s question, sorry, since I’m bushed, but the way his face fell almost made me feel guilty. That I’ll remember for a while! Too bad I don’t have a video camera. But in the signing he remembered me (it’s hard to forget the Guy with the Ferret Tattoo) and said it was a good question; it certainly seemed to make him think.

Again, sorry to make you all wait.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

get some sleep, Minoan. Answers can wait, health comes first.

Hooray, I got his neurons to meet! Must have been an interesting encounter for both of them.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

I think two separate article would work best since the transcript will probably be really long and text-heavy. ;P

Hooray, I got his neurons to meet! Must have been an interesting encounter for both of them.

Oooh, burn!

I think two separate article would work best since the transcript will probably be really long and text-heavy. ;P

It is so far. He talked for about an hour. I’ll just put the transcript up when I’m done, then I or anyone else can use it for an article.

Coffee Count: 2

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada

This is awesome Minoan. Honestly, though I stopped liking Eragon after eighth grade, its interesting to hear the perspective of a fellow writer, and I look forward to your transcriptions. Thanks for using one of my questions by the way!