Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Vampires appeal to readers because of they’re troubled and dangerous…
    Angels—why? I never understood that part. And how much of appeal would angels lose if an angel novel is written from a Muslim (as opposed to Judeo-Christian) point view, as seen here? Why?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_view_of_angels

P.S. Can anybody recommend an angel novel where the angel is not fallen/reincarnated/actually a half-angel/doesn’t realize it/not really an angel as we know the word/a Sue’s personal guardian, but a straight-up, goody-two-shoes angel as God/the Deity intended him/her to be?

I don’t know about angels if they were written from a Muslim viewpoint, but they’d certainly lose all of their appeal if they were actually written as they are in the bible. From Ezekiel 10:14: Each of the cherubim had four faces: One face was that of a cherub, the second the face of a human being, the third the face of a lion, and the fourth the face of an eagle.

That would make one Hell of a supernatural romance novel.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012

A cherubim appears in Madeline L’Engle’s A Wind in the Door. He pretty much looks like a biblical angel, but there’s no romance subplot.
    And also, this idea of angels falling in love with humans is ridiculous. Angels don’t have genders.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Angels in Romance (i.e. the artistic movement, not literary bouncy-bouncy) are physically flawless, and superhumanly chivalric. In romantic (bouncy-bouncy) fiction, they6 are also mentally self-tortured for falling in love with a mortal. It’s like the Bad Boy trope, but with Nice Guys who are chivalric and cuddly and heroic.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012 edited

Angels are the closest you can get to the divine in earthly form. That’s where the interest lies. The desire to feel unique or superior is something easily appealed to by authors and, more than anything, readers live through these characters that share one thing with them; their human form. Angels bridge the gap between a place of imperfection and that higher, pure place that is beyond the reach of many (at least this is the contrast I’ve noticed in such novels. Suddenly the entire world is so filled with evil and misery. It tends to make the divine character’s position more pitiful if he/she is one of those who have been thrust into the mortal world to suffer humanly experiences. This may be what makes the idea so appealing. Some may feel they can relate to this earthly suffering).

Outside of a romance novel, I don’t see why either an unconventional or rarely used concept of these beings would make angels lose their appeal. I’d find that quite exciting really, especially if it were set in the present-day. The reactions of the witnesses to the appearance of such a sight would be very interesting. Even more so if it were taken up to the scale of a worldwide event. I can see that idea working. If this does lose appeal with some, I’d say its because, like every other idea, it’s just not everybody’s cup of tea. I see nothing wrong with the concept itself.

I remember reading this novel ages ago in which this guy was kind of like an angel. He was definitely not fallen or reincarnated or any of those things. I can’t for the life of me remember the title or even if it was a children’s or YA book. Anyway, it was a bit strange. During most of the time, he was compared to an owl. He had the diet of one as well. And he hid in the attic and was kept safe by two children. It’s not very clear as to whether he was sent there for any divine purpose, but his ever calm, sweet and meek nature was definitely meant suggest something close to angelic. He also may have had wings although, again, it’s not made clear whether they’re angel’s wings or if he’s part bird. Now I’m going to have to look for that book title …

Edit:

Ah. Skellig by David Almond.

a straight-up, goody-two-shoes angel as God/the Deity intended him/her to be?

Aziraphale, Good Omens. I always picture him as being Giles from Buffy, except less kickass- so maybe Giles circa S1.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Try this.

Magical realism is love.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012

For a more Biblical portrayal of angels, I suggest the eldils in C.S. Lewis’ Space Trilogy.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012 edited

I’ll be honest, I’ve never been interested in angels in stuff. As a Christian, the idea of a paranormal romance involving an angel is just… bizarre. Angels are pretty well sexless, as far as the Bible says, and if unfallen angels don’t sin, then there’s not much interesting story there… and if fallen angels have no chance of redemption, there’s no interesting story there either. So I highly doubt there’s any actually Biblical-style angel books out there.

For an interesting portrayal of angels in general, however, I personally favor Tolkien’s legendarium, with Ulmo being my favorite angel. And I guess Gandalf and Melian are cool too. :D

• CommentAuthorDeborah

Yes, I like the Valar too. All the portrayals of angels I like—don’t really get into romance. There’s no romance in the L’Engle, or the Lewis. And I like Tolkien’s Valar as well.
    I guess the only angel romance I like is Thingol and Melian.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Ezekiel 10:14: Each of the cherubim had four faces: One face was that of a cherub, the second the face of a human being, the third the face of a lion, and the fourth the face of an eagle. That would make one Hell of a supernatural romance novel.

Haha, I was just thinking that!

Angel: Kiss me, my love!
    Sue-ish Love Interest: Um….which face do I kiss?

I’ll be honest, I’ve never been interested in angels in stuff. As a Christian, the idea of a paranormal romance involving an angel is just… bizarre. Angels are pretty well sexless, as far as the Bible says, and if unfallen angels don’t sin, then there’s not much interesting story there… and if fallen angels have no chance of redemption, there’s no interesting story there either. So I highly doubt there’s any actually Biblical-style angel books out there.

Not only that, but biblical angels are warriors, fighting on behalf of God and his people in a cosmic battle against the Devil and his demons. In Daniel chapter 10, Daniel is praying for an interpretation of a vision he had. When an angel finally appears more than two weeks later, he explains that a nasty battle with the “prince of the Kingdom of Persia” had been resisting him, holding him back from delivering an answer. “Prince,” in this case, means “demon.” Most romance novels with angels don’t even touch on that aspect of their existence. They just have angels angst about how they’re not supposed to fall in love with humans.

If a novel were to focus on that part—that falling in love with an angel would be like falling in love with a soldier who fights demons on your behalf and can be called back into battle at any moment—then I might actually read it, never mind the fact that an angel wouldn’t fall in love with a human.

• CommentAuthorDeborah

I’d like to see more angels fighting supernatural battles, too.
    There were angels and demons in L’Engle’s Many Waters, as well. The demons had kids with women, but the angels didn’t.