Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2012

Sooo, Virgil and I set up an IRC channel for ImpishIdea. Come hang out!

#impishidea @ irc.freenode.net

You’ll need an IRC client (duh). I would recommend Pidgin. It’s compatible with Windows, Mac and Ubuntu. Once you’ve downloaded and installed Pidgin you’ll need to create an account. Pidgin should appear in the notification tray in your taskbar. Right click on the icon and click on “Accounts.”

In the window that opens click on “Add.”

Set the “Protocol” as “IRC,” choose your username and set the “Server” as “irc.freenode.net.” You can ignore the “Password” and “Local alias” fields for the time being. Click “Add.”

Once that’s done a new window should open up. Click the “Conversation” tab in the upper left corner and then “Join a Chat.”

Select your account from the drop down menu and put “#impishidea” in the “Channel” field. Click “Join” and you’re done.

Now, real quick before I wrap this up, IRC isn’t like instant messaging; it’s more casual. You join the channel, you idle and you talk when you feel like it. So, I invite you to join me and Virgil as we discuss the weather and engage in other interesting and thought provoking conversations about our universe. Yeah…

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

There is also a web based client which is easier to get into, called mibbit

Scroll to the bottom and click ‘Chat Now’. On the next page, click on the server link, and type in irc.freenode.net in the text box that appears. In the Nick type in your desired name, and channel #impishidea

Forgive my ignorance, but what’s an IRC channel? Is it kind of like a privatized chat-room?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I guess you could say so.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2012 edited

As a warning, mibbit doesn’t work; freenode apparently disabled access through there. Use http://webchat.freenode.net/ instead.

EDIT: Making the link clickable.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2012

Wow. IRC. Haven’t used that in years.

Next up: an II newsgroup.

;P

@SWQ – Just as forums overtook newsgroups because of all the shiny features they provided, IMing and flash chat rooms overtook IRC.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2012

IRC seems like it would be a good fit for II. ‘tis perfect for casual conversation.

arg, my dad’s computer filter blocks pidgin and my portable version keeps crashing.

Poo.

EDIT: I’m not getting the “join conversation” option at all, anywhere. Maybe it doesn’t work with portable?

EDIT: ARG, I can’t get enabled. I wonder if this is somehow blocked by my dad’s filter? RAGE.

EDIT: Now the ‘join a chat’ feature is greyed out. But I can ‘join a chat’ with my aim account. WHY?

EDIT: My connection keeps timing out. wft?

Lol at i<3twilight.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2012

If you have Thunderbird 15, you can access IRC from within the client.