Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Because everyone’s talking about it everywhere. We may as well contain it a little.

Sink this if it’s regarded as unneccessary after all.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012

On a topic that might be regarded as un-sink-worthy, and related to SOPA,

Should we start going around and saving backups of sporks and stuff that we like? It would be great to have an archive just in case. Sounds paranoid, I know, but it seems like the Feds are taking stuff down without warning.

Heck yes. We will rebuild the internet after SOPA strikes, if that’s what it takes. We’ll make a second internet.

It’s worth repeating: fanfiction.net is so screwed. If you don’t already have backups for anything you wrote on a whim or any final touch up edits you made… ya kinda better do it now.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

All right. I got my FF stuff saved. I don’t care about the shorts, but I’d hate to lose the only proof copy of my 48000 and counting epic. :C

I can go back and start saving text copies of our old articles and stuff.

Sly might have a backup server or something. I’m sure he would. I’m also fairly sure we’re a low priority for the feds, and most people would have saved their own copies, so I’d focus more on saving ffn stories you want to read again or das_mervin’s sporks or something.

We should also all have a designated meeting spot to converge to, should II go down :)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

SOPA isn’t going to pass and PIPA probably won’t either. Megaupload was taken down because the people who ran it were complete idiots; Its not like the feds decided overnight to take Megaupload down suddenly just ‘cause they can. The case has nothing to do with SOPA.

Also, I’m pretty sure the people who wrote the articles for II will have backups on their computers. :P

Megaupload was taken down because the people who ran it were complete idiots

This. If you run a file-sharing site, you have to be on the ball with DMCA requests or you’re gonna get your shit stepped on.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

We’ll meet under the tree on the lawn outside the castle.

Yes there is a lawn for a floating castle.

feds feds feds.

I don’t think they’re going to pass, but I’d rather be overprepared than have a server nuked overnight and wake up to find stuff I wanted gone forever.

And I was talking about the people who wrote articles back in ’08 who are no longer around or whose usernames have changed.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012 edited

They documented all the illegal activity they were doing and didn’t delete any of the evidence when the feds came knocking. Megaupload is run by a bunch of idiots, that’s why they got taken down, not because of SOPA and not because the government is going to censor the internet omgz1.

Oh btw: Puppet 2011©

Edit: I’m sure Sly will save all the sporks from back in the day in case SOPA ever does pass, guys. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Okay. I’m not freaking out or anything, I just would rather know it’s backed up somewhere.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

ImpishIdea will always be backed up in my heart. <3

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

That’s not the most comforting thing you’re ever said. :D

Megaupload was taken down because the people who ran it were complete idiots

This.

SOPA isn’t going to pass and PIPA probably won’t either.

ehhh… I’ve heard this and I’ve heard the exact opposite of this, too.

I think the thing is, though, SOPA even being considered as an actual bill and all is a sign of how much clout those media companies have got, and is probably a harbinger of sneakier roundabout bills to come. They’re not going to stop here. If it stops piracy only, that’s good. But if it leaves loopholes here and there to get people like us, which it probably will because that’s not what they care about, then that’s bad. And I don’t want to sound paranoid, but we’ve got enemies. Hell, Rorschach alone has more than the lot of us combined.

Speaking of SOPA why is the Impish part of the Impish Idea sign blacked out?

Huh. Nice blackouts. Gave me a bit of a shock at first!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Hell, if Gloria Tesch tries to sue us we can just say the sporkings were for educational/parody purposes. If I recall correctly, some crazy author already tried to sue Rorschach.

The thing is, if SOPA does pass it’s probably going to be worse for business for a lot of those companies. Hosting companies could potentially lose a lot of their customers and media companies, too. If the government is going to take down every single website for copywrite infringement then they’ll have to shut down 99.9% of the internet.

Speaking of SOPA why is the Impish part of the Impish Idea sign blacked out?

We were contacted by the Oxford English Dictionary yesterday. They said if we didn’t take down the word “Impish” from the banner that they would take us to court. :[

Lawsuit? Still going. Updates that are still probably current are in podcast episode 2. :D Just to make you all more wild for them. ...or, you know, we could ask Rorschach how he’s going.

The thing is, if SOPA does pass it’s probably going to be worse for business for a lot of those companies. Hosting companies could potentially lose a lot of their customers and media companies, too. If the government is going to take down every single website for copyright infringement then they’ll have to shut down 99.9% of the internet.

But history has established that those media companies are pretty much idiots. They haven’t successfully adapted their business to the internet nearly enough, and they want more money than they can have. Greed is blind.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

If nothing else, this topic reminded me I should probably have backups of the writing I do on my blog. So.

I doubt that any rational person would let SOPA and PIPA pass… which is exactly why I’m worried they will. It’s all rather frightening.

But yeah, I agree that we should have an external site unlikely to get hit by SOPA in the case of ImpishIdea going down.

bq. They said if we didn’t take down the word “Impish” from the banner that they would take us to court. :[

Seriously?

If nothing else, this topic reminded me I should probably have backups of the writing I do on my blog. So.

You blog, good sir?

But yeah, I agree that we should have an external site unlikely to get hit by SOPA in the case of ImpishIdea going down.

ProBoards, here we come!

EDIT:

They said if we didn’t take down the word “Impish” from the banner that they would take us to court. :[

BAHAHAHAHA Puppet!

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

You blog, good sir?

Yeah. Just some basic original writing (which has progressed from horrible to maybe decent enough) and a spork of Maximum Ride.

ProBoards, here we come!

So, create a forum for ImpishIdea on a different website for the purpose of if II goes down? Brilliant!

I’m going to feel silly if I’m the first one to panic and create it, though.

Link to your spork? I haven’t read Maximum Ride in ages.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Ahaha, Puppet, for being such a nay-sayer you’re really getting into the spirit of this. :D Love the blackouts.

I thought that was Sly!

Puppet? Brofist.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I’m going to feel silly if I’m the first one to panic and create it, though.

And I can’t create it, I’m still a relative newbie and I don’t do anything anyway. I just… mooch.

Link to your spork? I haven’t read Maximum Ride in ages.

Here ya go.

bq. They said if we didn’t take down the word “Impish” from the banner that they would take us to court. :[

Oh. . . you were joking. Somehow the fact that I thought you were serious and that I nearly flew into a deep burning rage at Oxford makes it even funnier.

And I can’t create it, I’m still a relative newbie and I don’t do anything anyway. I just… mooch.

I suppose I have enough street cred with these cats to do it myself if I stop feeling silly, but I don’t like to. Puppet has right of way.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I doubt that any rational person would let SOPA and PIPA pass… which is exactly why I’m worried they will.

This. I’m doing ff backups, because I don’t read sporks, but if anyone wants help with a big archive or wants a second copy on my HD let me know.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

So why is Impish blacked out?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

The interesting question is, how do the United States congress thing they have the jurisdiction to legislate on something that affects a global, international amalgamation? Sure, they have the power to pull down American-hosted sites, but they do not have any jurisdiction over sites from say Australia, England, Asia, Canada, South America, Africa, or anywhere else in the world that isn’t United States territory. The best they can do is send a polite request to the people who do have that power in those particular countries, and hope they act on it. Or institute a US firewall to block rogue international sites.

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

They definitely don’t have any power over other countries, but perhaps on the chance that they DO pass SOPA they’ll… I dunno, block incoming copyrighted content from other countries?

I dunno, I wouldn’t worry about it. It seems too over-the-top.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I think they just block the websites in America.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Yeah. They just block content at the border. Like what China does.

Like what China does.

Just great.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

^ Exactly.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

I think my concern is that even if SOPA and PIPA both fail, we’ll see modified versions of them back in Congress within a year (two at the most). As I recollect, PIPA is essentially an edited version of Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) which failed back in 2010. Supporters of internet “protection” are determined to get a bill of this nature through come hell or high water and they figure that if they edit and persist enough, they will win in the end. Which, to be quite frank, the supporters of bills such as SOPA are probably right: if they press again and again, they will succeed.

That said, even if a monstrosity such as SOPA got passed, II would be an unlikely target. I’m not saying that it couldn’t happen, I’m just saying that the entertainment industry already has many, many sites that it wants to take down and that will keep the courts quite busy. After all, if SOPA and PIPA are passed, virtually every court case that comes from trying to enforce the laws is a “test case”. We won’t see how the law can actually be applied until it is applied (and yes, that’s a scary thought). Which means, even if the legal team of Team Tesch (let’s go with a well-known entity) tries to submit a complaint, it may not get heard right away. It may very well be considered invalid, too, based upon how the courts choose to interpret SOPA, PIPA and any related legislation.

SOPA has been postponed indefinately after protests.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Yay!

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

They definitely don’t have any power over other countries

Mmm, that depends. Some kid in England made a google-type site and America had him extradited,so now he could be facing 5 years in prison. For making a website in England that broke American laws. If someone, somewhere, is willing to give the US that type of weight to throw around, well damn, America’s sure as hell going to use it. Furthermore, apparently if SOPA is able to pinpoint a site with copyrighted content (no matter the place) they can take the site down. If the site owner inquires, apparently that then puts them in US jurisdiction, at which point they will be facing some serious time.

Ughhh…I really don’t want FF to go. I love that site T_T… And with FF, if someone doesn’t want their IP on it, they can just ask the site to remove it and FF does it without complaint, like it did for Anne Rice and George RR Martin. Sigh…I’m curious as to how youtube will survive as well.

EDIT
    bq. SOPA has been postponed

Yesssssss

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Google, as it turns out, is already enforcing its own SOPA-style policy (as of my brief news skim at 11 AM) and cleaning copyright-infringing videos off Youtube. Officially sponsored music will stay, which is good.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

I wonder if fan vids will be allowed to stay :/

You know what I just realised? If a new bill like SOPA passes, Yu-gi-oh! The Abridged Series would so be going down. o.O

twitches The horror.

But at least we’re out of the woods for now.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012

SOPA has been postponed

Before we start celebrating, let’s not forget that there is a world of difference between ‘postponed’ and ‘rejected’.

There’s not really that huge of a difference in the American system just because more legislation dies because of inaction than losing up-or-down votes. Besides, even if it lost, there’s no “you can never try and pass something like this again” clause. Indefinite postponement is about the best anybody could hope for, realistically.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

cleaning copyright-infringing videos off Youtube

I really hope they don’t touch Wizard People.

There’s not really that huge of a difference in the American system just because more legislation dies because of inaction than losing up-or-down votes

Seems like an inefficient system.

Seems like an inefficient system.

It’s inefficient by design, but that’s another conversation entirely.

I really hope they don’t touch Wizard People.

I’m kind of amazed it’s still even up there, since Warner Bros could DMCA it if they wanted to even without SOPA.

FWIW, the best recording of Wizard People has got to be the torrent-able version, but obviously that’d get the kibosh from SOPA anyway.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

It’s inefficient by design, but that’s another conversation entirely.

Actually, I can see the merit in a system designed to take a long time to mull over potential new laws, but I do wonder how many have been simply ‘lost in the system’ due to the build-in inefficiencies?

I’m kind of amazed it’s still even up there

I thought it fell under fair use/parody? At any rate, the people running the Harry Potter empire seem to appreciate and/or encourage fanfics and such, because it keeps the interest going and therefore the (potential) sales up.

At any rate, the people running the Harry Potter empire seem to appreciate and/or encourage fanfics and such, because it keeps the interest going and therefore the (potential) sales up.

Now that is an interesting take on it.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I think it’s related. Isn’t that a musical of Harry Potter or something?

I thought it fell under fair use/parody? At any rate, the people running the Harry Potter empire seem to appreciate and/or encourage fanfics and such, because it keeps the interest going and therefore the (potential) sales up.

I think they’ve gotten in Brad Neely’s shit about it before, or at least theaters trying to play it.

Totally unrelated, but what is Wizard People?

One of the seminal works of our time.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Wizard people is a showing of all the movies, with hilarious dubbing/alternative narration.

““Harry feels right with himself. He’s down there, a new god who has found his calling. He holds up the Snitch and bellows: “I am a beautiful animal! I am a destroyer of worlds! I am Harry Fucking Potter!” And dear reader, at last, the world was quiet.”

But the actual quotes are secondary to the telling, the voice acting that goes with it (it’s all narrated in this charmingly-gravelly voice, that changed slightly when doing character voices, but not much)

Oh, and I was never able to read Hagrid properly again after Wizard People introduced him as the Horrible, Hoary Hagger.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012 edited

He’s a man that if you didn’t know any better, you might mistake him for a giant, hairy truck.

charmingly-gravelly voice

Gravelly version is good, but the warble-y version is best I feel.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I kept hearing about SOPA, and then that was more or less over, and now I’m hearing about something called ACTA, which apparently is, and I quote, “much, much worse than SOPA.” Either all the world leaders suddenly realized all at once that the internet is actually not a passing fancy and it has to be addressed somehow, or people can’t stop fearmongering about the next big hazard to our interwebz liberty or some shit.

So many acronyms.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Well, take a look at the Wiki article on ACTA and decide for yourself.

And the acronyms in law exist purely to deter the people from actually looking into proposed/current legislation.

Anyone mind doing a cliffsnotes summary?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2012

I would, but I haven’t looked into it enough. I probably should, though.

It’s kind of interesting that Filesonic is voluntarily suspending file-sharing functions now(you can only download files you yourself have uploaded) and more may follow. I guess people are trying to cash out before the feds come knocking.