Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBloo
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012 edited

So I haven’t been here in a while besides as a lurker, but I figured that hey, I might as well start a discussion while it’s on my mind.

What do you guys think of creative writing classes? Has anyone here taken them? If so, did you take it through school, a workshop, or what? Do you think they helped you? Is there something you really liked in yours or really wish there would be?

Personally I don’t think they’re much help at getting you to write better. I’m currently in Creative Writing I; all we do is fill out prompts from a list, and at the end of the trimester our teacher will take them up and write them as a participation grade. We write a first draft, which our peers will edit for grammar mistakes, and then we give them to her. She looks over them, writes one or two comments, and hands them back. Then we write a final copy. I don’t think anything the teacher or other students have done have helped me grow as a writer.

The one thing I do think that the class has helped with is getting me to write. I’ve always had trouble getting words from my head to the page, and by forcing me to write for a grade, even if I spew out a page’s worth of crap (you’re welcome for the image), I’m still writing. It’s helped me learn to get over writer’s block whether I want to or not.

I do think the class would help more if the teacher didn’t keep telling us to do things that I’ve learned not to do from this site and Limyaael, among others, like replacing “said” with synonyms that are ever growing in ridiculousness, or using purple prose. Really, I guess she’s trying to help some of the kids in there improve their vocabulary, but I think she’s going about it the wrong way. I’m just a sophomore, though, so what do I know?

So…do you guys have any thoughts?

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I took a Creative Writing elective one semester in high school, and, honestly, I didn’t get much out of it. It wasn’t nearly as structured as your class (the only real ‘prompt’ was “write two Halloween-themed stories because Halloween is coming up”). The rest of the time was basically what you described: switch with another student, make comments/corrections on their work, make changes, turn in.

I thought about taking a Creative Writing workshop in college, but given what I heard from a friend (the teacher wanting non-genre writing), I didn’t see much point.

Is this high school CW or college CW?

I took a few CW courses in my last year of college and enjoyed the hell out of them. How much you’ll actually get out of one depends on the teacher and other students, though, and more importantly, what your intention in taking the class is.

•  
      CommentAuthorBloo
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012

Thanks for the correction, Apep. Dx

Yeah, we’ve had to write three prompts dealing with Christmas. Two of them were exactly the same, except one was in first person present and the other was in second person present. She made us write separate first drafts and everything. Ugh.

I’ve never really been clear on the distinction between literary and genre fiction, actually; the only difference I can tell is that literary is more monologue and genre has more of a plot. obviously I need to lurk moar

I was talking about high school CW, sansafro, but any kind is fine.

What do you mean, intention? Want to Write vs. Want a Free A?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I once took a Creative Writing workshop class in community college that I really liked – basically we all had to write two short stories and a poetry project (any number of poems, but a set number range of lines). Everyone got a copy of everyone else’s story/poetry project, and we would have to come to class having read them, and we’d set up our desks in a circle and discuss the work (usually on content and clarity, rather than grammar and mechanics).

While I don’t think the class improved my actual writing much, it was really fun to read other people’s work, it was a good lesson in being diplomatic while giving critique, and it gave me a little more confidence in showing my writing to other people and accepting criticism without flipping out.

• CommentAuthorRocky

In my experience, Creative Writing classes will provide you with two things: peer feedback and a kick in the pants to get stuff written. If we're talking about high school or low-level college writing classes, I personally don't see the point, as you can easily, _easily_ get the first of the two things I mentioned right here on Impish. However, upper division writing classes will do two additional things: put you in contact with better writing students and put you in contact with creative writing faculty. Both of those can be immensely helpful, and the latter might prove invaluable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

Much of the class depends upon the instructor. As the saying goes, “Those who do, can; those who can’t, teach.” That isn’t always true, of course, but I’ve found it’s often the case with many CW instructors. I had a CW instructor who loved the crap out of one of my classmate’s Backstreet Boys fanfic. Oh lord, I wish I were joking. The instructor use to hold them up as an example of truly passionate, expressive writing. Now, I know there is some good fanfic out there, so please don’t think I’m bashing the world of fanfic. But these stories were just sex scenes loosely decorated with the trappings of a story. I don’t know about you, but I can only handle so many Nick Carter sex scenes.

But a truly good instructor can help a writer really think about what he or she is doing. A good instructor cuts through the student’s preconceived notions about her own work and gives her honest but motivating feedback. I’d say that the quest for those good instructors makes it worth dealing with the crappy ones.

However, upper division writing classes will do two additional things: put you in contact with better writing students and put you in contact with creative writing faculty.

This is a very important reason to take CW classes. Never underestimate the power of networking.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

The high school classes don’t seem worth it, but I took two creative writing courses in college (one community, one university). Both, despite one being an intro the other a more upper division, were structured nearly the same way. The intro to writing class required 1 finished short story (along with a number of in-class free-writing prompts), 3 finished poems (again, in-class free-writing) and 1 complete short script (same). The short story intro class required 2 finished short stories, with daily free writing.

I found that structure to be really helpful: lots of free-writing, which I never do enough of, but also a focus on a complete work over a fairly extended focus and several revisions. For the finished stories, the class would break into groups at least every other week and analyze each other’s work—not just grammar, and in-depth discussion of your work-in-progress. Not all the comments are helpful, but having such a wide range of viewpoints is, especially since after not too long you get to know the kind of responses your classmates will give.

tl;dr: It sounds like college classes are more likely to be helpful in terms of discussions: but they can get snobby, and while lots of writing is good, being able to focus on only one story over several weeks with a couple revisions is almost more so. In other words, if you do choose to take another creative writing class, I’d talk to other’s who have taken it, and find out how it works first. If there’s not much discussion, there may not be much point.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I had a CW instructor who loved the crap out of one of my classmate’s Backstreet Boys fanfic.

My CW instructor was actually really cool, but I was pretty shocked to find out one day that despite his teaching that same class for years, he didn’t know what fanfiction was. So that was weird.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

I had a CW instructor who loved the crap out of one of my classmate’s Backstreet Boys fanfic.

Umm…did said instruction know it was a fanfic?

I’m not really surprised when ‘real people’ who are older than me don’t know what fan fiction is, but that’s because it took me so long to find out it existed myself. I just find it odd when authors and intellectuals are so surprised/horrified by the fact it does exist. And many people point to StarTrek fanfic as the beginning, but really the only reason copyright protection exists is because of unauthorized sequels to hugely popular works like Pamela (hence why only the making money part is illegal). Fan fiction is a very old literary drive.

@Spanman, just curious, how did you find out he didn’t know? When he discovered it or what?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Heh, maybe I should turn in some fanfic in my current CW class and see if anyone notices…

Anyway, like I just said, I’m currently in a creative writing class. We’ve only just begun though (only been to two classes so far!), so I can’t really comment on how it’s gone, but I really hope I’ll enjoy it. I like the teacher, he seems very enthusiastic and interesting, and we’re going to be doing a lot of workshop-type things (we post our writing pieces online, everyone comments on them, and then we all come in to class on assigned days and discuss different people’s pieces). In general, though, I think it’ll at least encourage me to write on a regular basis and encourage me to write outside of my comfort zone (which tends to be sci-fi, fantasy, and fanfiction for sci-fi or fantasy fandoms).

My high school had a CW class taught by my awesome lit teacher (who has apparently published poetry!) but unfortunately it was cancelled this year for lack of enrollment.

From what I could gather, it was really free-form- hand in a portfolio of short stories, poems, plays, etc. My teacher gives great, thoughtful feedback (even if you can’t read anything he writes) and my writer-friends who took the class had fond memories.

So I guess it just depends.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012

Umm…did said instruction know it was a fanfic?

Come to think on it, I don’t know. But my classmate submitted a new one for every writing assignment. They were horrible, but she kept getting A’s.

• CommentAuthorSen

Personally I don’t think they’re much help at getting you to write better.

I happen to both agree and disagree with this. First, it depends on the kind of writer the student is. I think that these classes can help people with things like word choice and grammar. It can help people to avoid clichés, to learn all those little tricks when it comes to evoking a certain atmosphere or even something as simple as descriptions. The teachers would show you ways of better painting your images. Instead of saying something is just red, they may show you a million different , and more interesting, ways of saying it. But once you have those pat down, I think one can take it from there.

These classes would definitely be good for helping you to stick to writing regularly. However, a teacher’s not going to be able to help you lead an idea on the track it’s supposed to be on. I’ve never taken a Creative Writing class because I can’t imagine what more a person can help you with other than the basics. They can’t brainstorm for you or anything like that. And if they do, they shouldn’t. The ideas are all you. For sure, they could point out mistakes in your work, like: insert this paragraph here so that we have a better flow to the story, or: remove this section as it interrupts the mood and place it somewhere else, but even then, we’re getting back to the basics of writing.

So I would think, yes, it would help if you need to better your structure of writing and really need to break away from other influences, come into your own. You would be given the tools that would help you to best describe what’s going on in your mind, because no one else can describe that other than you. That tool, to me, would be a much better paintbrush than what you started out with, that could paint far more vivid and poignant images than the ones you created in the past.

But I would also think no, because it’s not just the paintbrush. What’s in your mind is what’s going to guide the creation of that image, and I don’t think that a teacher should interfere in that creative process. That should be all you.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

Frankly, I’ve never done a creative writing class per se, but all my english classes have focused mostly on creative writing in any case, and I go to a writers’ workshop on Saturdays. I mean, I think the best part of writing is not always gaining new techniques, but knowing what you’re doing wrong from the getgo, and needless to say that really improves ones writing. Like, a few years back, I had a tendency towards long, convoluted sentences and absurd prose, and while I’m still quite long winded and purply, because people told me I was just ‘too, too’ I’ve mellowed out my writing much more. Feedback is great, and if you can do it in a nice environment where people are insightful and honest, then more power to you. Also, just being able to read other people’s stuff has allowed me to pick up a lot of stuff. But how all this is approached is really what changes things, I think. So if you aren’t picking up stuff right now, then it’s probably a failing of the specific class you’re in, and there’s no reason to give up writers classes as whole.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012 edited

how did you find out he didn’t know?

One girl admitted that she wrote a lot of Twilight fanfiction, and he was like, “Fanfiction? What is that?” And when we explained it to him, he said that in all his years of teaching he’d never heard of such a thing. It was odd, to say the least.