Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBloo
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2011

Alrighty. In the current story I’m writing, the main character is a werewolf living in a mostly-werewolf community. There are vampires involved, but they differ significantly from the normal sparkly, pretty, angsty portrayals of vampires in media these days. I’ll let my main explain it to you (and this scene is very rough-drafty, I’m only looking it completely over for the first time when I post it on here; if you want to criticize it feel free but it’s not necessary):

There’s a very good reason we were worried about Joseph’s body being missing and his ghost not being able to tell us about it. For centuries, every werewolf has been cremated or buried with garlic in place of a heart—because if you don’t, some very, very nasty things will happen. Just because ghosts are the only human things lurking around doesn’t mean they’re the only things, and werewolves are just the hosts some demons need to form something entirely different: vampires.

No one can remember where or when the first vampires showed up; probably it was at the death of the first werewolf, before anyone knew better. But here’s what we do know: where we have normal strength as wolves and humans, they are ten times stronger than us at their weakest. Where we feel injuries like anyone else, they can go on through any hurt besides their heads being ripped off or being exposed to sunlight. Where we can think like humans do, they are completely mindless, thinking only of having their next meal—or drink, I guess.

Most vampires form by accident. A werewolf dies in a car crash or something at night, no one takes care of it fast enough, and the body’s taken over. Most people wouldn’t form one on purpose; who would want something insane and bloodthirsty and strong, something they can’t control, so close to them? But necromancers can control them, and when a necromancer does make a vampire, there’s hell to pay.

Yes, I know that was horrible and doesn’t sound remotely like a teenage boy. But ANYWAY.

The idea for dead werewolf —> vampire came from old legends that said…dead werewolves, if not buried properly, —> vampire. Transitionword, these vamps are a lot different from anything I’ve seen in media lately, and so I’m kind of torn about this:

A) Exposition this? In a much…better way than above.
    B) Drop details about it and describe the vamps when they finally make the scene?

So, thing the second: my teenage main’s girlfriend is black. He sees nothing unusual about Micah being black and would feel no need to mention it to the reader on her first appearance; if he would’ve said anything about it at first, now they’ve been friends for years and dating for over two years. I drop mentions of it in description (ex. at one point he describes himself and Micah in terms of contrasts; he’s scrawny while she works out; “[he’s] pale as a ghost, and Micah’s about as pale as coal.”).

What I’m worried about is, first of all, I’d rather get it out of the way that Micah’s black so that it doesn’t seem like I’m trying to hide it, if that makes sense, the way some authors think of their characters as being gay or drop hints but never have the guts to make them come out in-story and then you find out from the bonus material. At the same time I don’t want to seem like I’m overplaying it or trying to say Micah’s special because she’s OMGBLACK, LOOK GUYS, I’M SO PROGRESSIVE BECAUSE I HAVE A BLACK CHARACTER. Or like I’m, even worse, fetishizing Micah’s race, which seems like a pretty big risk since not only is the POV a teenage boy who is indeed having sex with Micah, I’m also bisexual, and I don’t want to come across as too, ah, strong.

God that was a long, rambly paragraph.

Oh yeah, and do any of the guys here have a tip for writing teenage boys? I don’t want to make it so that half of every page is basically a play-by-play of Theo’s dirty mind, but I also don’t want to go the Rowling route and replace “erection” with “chest monster.”

my teenage main’s girlfriend is black.

to the brandon signal

seriously though i think you will do okay with it just because you are asking good questions of yourself

as far as writing like a teenage boy goes i would say dont go out of your way to play to stereotypes and focus instead on what your specific teenage boy would think

it is acceptable for the sake of fiction to not have him think “dat ass” every other sentence no matter how realistic it might be

If it’s 1st person, bring it up where it’d be natural for the PoV character to comment on it. Like you said…

to the brandon signal

Okay, this made me laugh. I’m such an old member.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2011 edited

Okay, this made me laugh. I’m such an old member.

I didn’t get it until you pointed it out, and then I was like, “Oh.”

I’m going to blame the slowness of my brain on the drinks I had earlier. Yes.

Back on topic, I have read worse cases of exposition. An alternative you might consider is perhaps a ghost story around a campfire, or something. You can add tons of gory details that way, to boot. ;P

As for the girlfriend being black, I don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve always loved looking at black women’s skin. It’s so soft- and smooth-looking, but not in the monochrome way white people’s skin is. Due to how oily black people’s skin tends to be, there’s a faint rainbow sheen to it that’s just amazing on skin tones ranging from black-black to dark brown.

And don’t get me started on the hair.

My point is, you could always have your character admire the nuances of lighting on various parts of her body, and even the texture of her hair. It would fit in naturally with the sex-appeal aspect of the relationship, and really, if there wasn’t something about her physical appearance that he particularly liked, that would be weird. You could just make it something that’s inextricably tied to her blackness.

And now I feel like I crossed a ton of socially-acceptable lines in this one post, but I don’t care. >.>

as a black man i am offended

also i am a little let down by your first drunkpost so i will show you how it is done at some point in the next week

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2011

bq, And now I feel like I crossed a ton of socially-acceptable lines in this one post, but I don’t care.

Y’know, I’m going to cross another one and say that maybe it’s time we writers risked that. We’ve got tons of literature about races and racism, but they always follow one of three socially approved plotlines:

1. Black people gain independence from white people—whether in the Civil War, the Civil Rights Movement, or in some small way, like breaking the race-based glass ceiling in a Fortune 500-esque company.
    2. Interracial couple/friendship goes public and must endure scrutiny and threats.
    3. Racist white person (whether to a small or large degree) learns to accept black people and becomes a better person.

Now, there’s nothing wrong with those storylines. There are some great stories told within them (like Huckleberry Finn and, more recently, The Help.) But they’re all we have. There are no stories I’ve seen that treat interracial relationships as normal and even healthy. I say that there’s nothing wrong with what Kyllorac’s suggestion, as long as it’s tastefully done.

(Note: If any of you have seen stories that defy these conventions, please direct me to them.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

For the werewolf thing: in cases like this, I prefer exposition, because when little details are dropped here and there I tend to forget that they’re part of a whole and they sort of just slip away from me. However, the difference between exposition and info-dumping, in my mind, is merely how interesting it is. Though there were a few issues with description above, it did not bore me to tears, which is a good start.

And then: Being the product of a mixed race couple, this doesn’t seem remotely strange to me. It just sort of is.When it comes to mentioning race in fiction, though, I usually go the ‘mention skin-tone’ route, just because to just say ‘black’ or ‘white’ or ‘asian’ or whatever just seems so blase. So, like, say she has dark brown skin in whatever way you manage it. I mean, whenever I introduce a character, I usually mention hair colour, eye colour, and skin colour, for descriptive reasons. When she comes in, just describe her features and her race should become evident on its own. Or, since the two are BF and GF you could have your main hold her hand at some point, and as you suggested before, mention the contrast between their skintones. I mean, it really doesn’t have to be a big deal. Race really isn’t anywhere near the most important part of a character, so don’t dwell on it too much.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I like this take, which is always a good start. You have scored high in the game of “How Original Can We Make Twilight 2.0?”

...Okay, so I realized that sounds overly harsh. No, I really do like this, in perfect sincerity. I have nothing against classical Eastern European folklore per se.

And now I’ve realized I need an introduction. I am a teenage male. I am also fiercely, bitterly nonconformist down to the core. Your narrative voice sounds a lot like me in my blacker moods – a balance of academic dryness with dark, cynical humor. I think the segment you posted would benefit from being partially dispersed into conversation, or told as a campfire story. As it is, it’s too coherent and single-minded for too long to be true thought, and sounds like a story being told to someone – in the absence of a second party, that someone is the audience, which you might want to avoid.

About the other thing. The best advice I can give you is to believe that readers are smarter than you often want to give them credit for. A reader will be able to sense, from your tone, not only what you want them to think you’re saying but also how you feel about what you’re saying. Just write it as if you honestly don’t care whether the girl is black or white or purple or whatever, and that note of strength and sincerity will be there under the words you use.

On teenage males. This is where the second part of my introduction comes in. I despise teenage boys who don’t think about anything but sex. Unfortunately for my whole argument, I must admit that this means I despise a lot of all-too-real people. So if you want to portray your VPC as someone like that, there is real-world precedent. Most of my generation has been taught to think this is normal male behavior. It’s a shallow, stereotypical portrayal, yes, but of shallow, stereotypical people.

However, I must also add that, if you are looking for a way out of that, there is at least one teenage male alive who thinks differently. :D

Hope any of that helped. Good luck.

• CommentAuthorSen

You know, even though I hardly had any problems with what you wrote above – I am keeping in mind that you’ll be revising :) – I like the idea of a werewolf being turned into another creature so much, that I would like to see you play up the mystery in your story. It’s a big reveal and I like stuff like this to jump out at me.

I have no way of knowing how exactly you’re going about writing the story itself, but may I ask: Are you going to create a lot of mystery surrounding Joseph’s body? Do you want to do this in such a way that the reader wonders: “Why exactly is everyone freaking out? Sure he’s their friend (I don’t know who Joseph is, so I’m just assuming here), but why are they all this worried? What are we missing here?” And then it’s like BAM! The guy comes out of nowhere, resurrected, yet as a completely different creature and there’s a big “everything falls into place” moment for the reader: “Ah. So this is what everyone has been fearing would happen to the body.

At the same time, I agree with Beldam. The exposition can be a good thing and, if well done, doesn’t have to sound like info-dumping. I’m only saying that if you want to keep some mystery surrounding a good idea, that won’t be bad either.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I don’t have much help to offer on the race issue—it’s something I’ve struggled with in the past, worrying that if you don’t specify, people will assume one thing or another… and then worrying that I’m being racist because I assume people will assume a particular way—but I just have to say, I love the idea of werewolves becoming vampires. That is a really fascinating idea.

•  
      CommentAuthorBloo
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2011

Thank you, guys, for all the advice. :) I really appreciate it. None of my friends are writers and this feels really cool. And, um, what’s the Brandon Signal?

@Kyllorac: The ghost story thing is a good idea, but I’m not sure if it would work for this world. Here, it’s basically the modern world, but everyone has at least one but up to two kinds of magic (four elements, plus necromancy, empathy, and clairvoyance), and everyone knows about vampires. They’ve been used as soldiers in wars, terrorized small towns when created on accident, and used as weapons by serial killers (like in this story), among other things.

...actually, you know, those would make great urban legends. Or if he was in a history class…o.o Thank you, kind sir.

And it’s fine about you crossing culturally-acceptable lines. I used to live in the Mississippi delta. At least you have positive discrimination…

@Danielle: I really can’t think of a story that focuses on African-Americans (one time I’m going to say that term. I mean what the hell do you call a British black person, and I don’t wanna discriminate. xD) that doesn’t follow one of those plotlines. It’s kind of sad that there can’t just be a character who happens to be black without there being some kind of Lesson™ about how Discrimination Is Bad or something like that.

It’s kind of one of the reasons Micah is black in the first place (doesn’t help that the book is set in Tennesee)—not because I want to have a Lesson, but because I want there to be a character, and she happens to be black, and that’s perfectly normal.

@Beldam: I didn’t bore you to tears? Success! :D On a more serious note, I prefer to know what I’m dealing with first thing, as well, and not save it for when, say, a ravening vampire jumps on the scene and Theo takes time to note that oh yeah, that thing is made from a dead werewolf and is completely mindless and can only be controlled by a necromancer and hey when did it have time to rip out my throat?

And you’re right about the race thing. I’m probably way too worried about this, really.

@Inkblot: That actually wasn’t my original intent. xD I just love Theo (he has so far been a demigod, a god, an immortal, and a superhero; this is his first werewolfy stint) and Micah (she showed up in the superhero thing), and then I used Theo in a werewolf RP, and then I found that dead werewolf = vampire legend, and this kinda happened. But thanks.

Theo can be cynical in a gallows-humor way, but he normally just jokes around—you’ve got the academic part right, though. (In another story, there was a girl who told him her name was Helen. He introduced himself as Paris.) And you’re right about it being too long for a true thought. That’s part of why I’m worried. I’m thinking about the history class I mentioned earlier in this post, or Theo trying to scare his stepsister.

It does irritate the crap out of me when guys are too obsessed with sex/sexual things (the exception is Harry Dresden, because he is awesome). The problem is, I am not a guy, and my two male friends seem to have not hit puberty yet, and my brothers are only eleven and seven, so it’s not like I can use them for a guide. And while I don’t want to go overboard I also don’t want to give Theo a “swooping sensation in his midriff” whenever he and Micah are necking.

I think my new rule of thumb is, take out half of all sexual references every time I edit. xD

I was aware nice teenage males exist, lul. But thank you.

@Sen: Not telling people about vampires til they show up would be pretty cool, but I’m leaning towards the exposition. I’ll think about it, though—I’ve never seen that kind of thing pulled off before, at least not that I can remember.

@Swenson: Exactly. I think part of it for me is growing up in the Southern U.S. all my life—I’m afraid some people’s prejudices (and my own life experiences, honestly. The only black person I have met that didn’t live in our town’s ghetto was in his thirties and from Indiana) will have affected my writing too much.

And I can’t take credit for the werewolves-to-vamps idea. :) It’s a legend that I found on TvTropes.

And, um, what’s the Brandon Signal?

it is the signal we shine in the air when the citizens of impish idea are in trouble and need help discussing relationships between white boys and black girls

It is in the shape of a dinosaur

•  
      CommentAuthorBloo

...oh, alright…
    ...newbie, sorreh.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

He’s the hero ImpishIdea deserves, but not the one we need right now…

•  
      CommentAuthorBloo

...does Brandon have a theme song?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

It goes something like this:

NANANANANANANANANANANANANAN BRANDON!

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

All right, that seriously made me bust a gut laughing. That doesn’t happen too often.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Wait… did I miss a heroic promotion somewhere? This makes me a very sad Kyll, for this means that I missed an awesome party with awesome food.

The ghost story thing is a good idea, but I’m not sure if it would work for this world. Here, it’s basically the modern world

Ah, but that’s why it would work so well. It’s practically a requirement that all gatherings of not-yet-adults tell ghost stories/urban lengends around a campfire (with reality of said campfire being optional).

History classes also work. Better make the teacher an awesome one who makes history interesting, for the sake of your readers.

Thank you, kind sir.

mopes

Though I suppose in this case it’s quite understandable considering how detailed my admiration of black women’s skin was…

At least you have positive discrimination…

It’s not even supposed to be discrimination. I just happen to find black women have very nice skin that they take good care of that I wish for the life of me I could paint properly but the ability to render it while doing it even a modicum of justice eludes me. If more black men took better care of their skin, I’d probably be gushing over their’s too.

But yeah. I find it incredibly sad/disturbing/damned inconvenient that commenting on someone’s skin tone is automatically discriminatory. It’s not like you can change your skin tone outside a certain range at the drop of a hat. Kinda like eye and hair color. It’s not discriminatory if you appreciate a certain eye or hair color (or even combination), so why should an appreciation of a range of skin tones be seen as such?

It’s something that’s always frustrated me, these stigmas attached to talking about skin tones being attractive, especially considering I’m the product of an interracial marriage. The doctors thought I had jaundice when I was born because my skin was so yellow, but as I grew older, my skin tone became more pale like my dad’s, and nowadays, most white folks tan darker than I do. Which is all fine and dandy if you like pale people, but I personally find the ability to clearly see my veins through my skin a bit disturbing. And black people have this amazingly pretty luster to their skin (when they take care of it properly), and their hair has awesome volume to it, when they don’t oil and straighten the hell out of it.

The oiling bit in particular is really gross in all aspects, especially the smell. Ew.

And before I forget…

@sansa

Offend. Offend offend offend offend.

Offend.

;P

•  
      CommentAuthorBloo
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2011 edited

Sorry about the gender mix-up. If it makes you feel any better, I say that to girls in real life too. And I’ve been known to say “good girl” to guys (although that was only when he said “yes, sir” to me first).

Now that I’ve thought about it I think I’mma make Theo try to scare his thirteen-year-old stepsister by telling her about the vamps.

I kinda stuck my foot in my mouth on the whole positive discrimination thing—you’re right, there’s nothing wrong with admiring a skin tone in particular. (I like really pale people. And freckles. If that says anything about me.) Sorry it came off so offensive.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

It didn’t come off offensive at all.

It’s just a comment on how there’s such a silly stigma attached to talking about skin tones, and how it makes no sense that it even exists.

Anyway, if you feel the need to mention differences in skin color, go for it. The rest of the mad world and its oversensitivity can go an be stupidly rabid for all I care. And if you really want to treat the relationship between your characters as perfectly normal, then you shouldn’t care either seeing as how skin color is a rather conspicuous part of any person’s appearance. ;P

•  
      CommentAuthorBloo

Oh alright. You just quoted my discrimination comment, and then a couple paragraphs later you said it was stupid how commenting on someone’s skin color was thought of as automatically discriminatory and you seemed pretty mad.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Mad? No. That was mild irritation there. If I were mad, you’d know.

Pray you never see me mad. >.>

•  
      CommentAuthorBloo
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2011 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

I knew that you’d fit in well.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011

OH KYLLORAC I’M SO SORRY I OFFENDED YOU. HOW COULD I HAVE SAID SUCH HORRIBLE THINGS ABOUT YOU.

•  
      CommentAuthorBloo
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2011

Wow. One joke about booze and Jesus and I fit right in.
    This place feels like high school all of a sudden.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2011 edited

I haven’t read this entire thread, but I will and comment more. I’d just like to chime in on the how to write teenage boys. I don’t necessarily know how to write them, but one big thing to remember is the experience of teenagers as with any person is they will vary as much as any other character.

There are those teenage boys that will turn absolutely anything into a unclever double entendre or giggle/ mishear absolutely everything in terms of crass or crude comments. But they are not the entirety of boys. Neither do all boys have ‘their game’ and can play the lady’s man like every suave teen on every hollywood film. In fact some are quiet terrified of girls despite being attracted to them. My most helpful advice is perhaps to watch Freaks and Geeks. No other tv show about teens that I’ve come across has tried tackling the variance of experience and the huge amount of uncomfortableness/ awkwardness than can exist (I was feeling uncomfortable watching some of the characters attempt to talk to the other gender on Freaks and Geeks.)

As to this part:
    I don’t want to make it so that half of every page is basically a play-by-play of Theo’s dirty mind, but I also don’t want to go the Rowling route and replace “erection” with “chest monster.”

My best advice is don’t overplay it. In fact understatement would be the way to go even if you were attempting stream of consciousness. I know it’s a running joke that guys think about sex every two minutes or something like that, but it simply isn’t true. If you actually set a timer for however often it is that guys are supposed to thinking about it, it quickly becomes apparent just how ridiculous that concept actually is. It winds up sounding like mental tourettes. It would actually be a lot of work to be thinking about it that much and you could hardly live your life at all. It actually sound rather obsessive/ unhealthy for any one thing to be thought of every couple minutes or so.

What is true is that guys will immediately notice a pretty girl. We’re not looking for them, they just stand out even as you’re walking by. Where you go with that mentally is really up to the individual where it can be anywhere from ‘huh, pretty girl’ and moving right along to full on ogling, but that’s varied. In addition, guys are more easily stimulated visually.

However, even when a guy is most with obsessed with a girl, for instance in the heights of emotional up and downs with does-she-like-me-or-does-she-not. Maybe-I-should-ask-her-out-maybe-I’m-over-reacting. Even in that time, a guy is not constantly thinking of her and certainly not exclusively about sex. It’s going to be a wide variety of things from loneliness, over-analyzing past interactions, thinking of the next step, how she talked and yes how she looks.

But if a guy is busy doing something, occupied with some other project that requires thought and is just in general is busy all that stuff can be quite easily shoved to the side for hours on end. It might all come rushing back once there’s a bit of down time/ time to think. But we are pretty good at focusing on the task at hand and shoving everything else temporarily to the side.

So that would be why I would really downplay how much a guy is thinking about sex. And yes, chest monster is just weird. Like awkwardly weird. You’d be better off using actual slang however crude than make up your own strange terminology. Of course the problem with slang is that it dates itself pretty quick. but chest monster will always be weird. That is, in fact, timeless.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2011

to the brandon signal

Nice to know my old username’s still remembered around here.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2011 edited

We never forget any Imps. <3

Jabrosky is Brandon? These username switchups confuse me so.

Complete Bastard

I remember him…that was a LONG time ago. Wow. I always wonder what’s going on now with those people who disappear into cyberspace.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

I always wonder what’s going on now with those people who disappear into cyberspace.

That’s easy. We went on to live our lives. ;P

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Heh. Or, if you’re moody like me, they could be dead or dying or lost somewhere far from home. Sure, I know you’re probably right, but I can’t help wondering.

That’s easy. We went on to live our lives. ;P

I meant in a creeper ‘what are they actually doing’ kind of way. But yeah.

We never forget true OGs.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2011 edited

Aug 9th 2009

Pfft, I don’t even think you were on the original forums, with all the wonderful people like Rob The Hamburger, Paladin, Corsair, Syrith, CompleteBastard and Ishy. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2011 edited

Hey now, Ishy was on another level.

they differ significantly from the normal sparkly, pretty, angsty portrayals of vampires in media these days

If sparkly is “normal” then I’m sane.
    Having said that – I’m glad you’re not bandwagoning. I respect that.

He sees nothing unusual about Micah being black and would feel no need to mention it to the reader on her first appearance; if he would’ve said anything about it at first, now they’ve been friends for years and dating for over two years.

This already told me that you don’t have as big of a problem as you thought.

OMGBLACK, LOOK GUYS, I’M SO PROGRESSIVE BECAUSE I HAVE A BLACK CHARACTER.

More on that in a moment.

really, if there wasn’t something about her physical appearance that he particularly liked, that would be weird

Deep down, all of us have a little bit of shallowness. some more than others, of course, but that’s not my point. See, the first thing you notice about someone is his/her looks, and we all have our little preferences and likes and dislikes and whatnot, so yeah. Besides, a teenaged boy dating a girl and going on and on about her personality and her voice and her handwriting or whatever, and never saying a single thing about her looks, would be extremely weird. Downright creepy, IMO.

Y’know, I’m going to cross another one and say that maybe it’s time we writers risked that. We’ve got tons of literature about races and racism, but they always follow one of three socially approved plotlines:

Dani, you’re not a fighter pilot, are you? I swear, you hit that mark with your eyes closed. Awesome.
    My biggest pet peeves are with sexism/double standard/discrimination against whatever sexual preference (and don’t get me started on the ludicrous amount of cliches and socially approved bullshit in that area!), but racism follows in a close second.

Note: If any of you have seen stories that defy these conventions, please direct me to them

Wash and Zoe were happily married, weren’t they?

I have nothing against classical Eastern European folklore per se.

i wuv it!!!111!!!!

I am also fiercely, bitterly nonconformist down to the core. Your narrative voice sounds a lot like me in my blacker moods – a balance of academic dryness with dark, cynical humor.

Ah, Inky. One day when my deranged brain finally gives in, you will be the perfect candidate to take up my sword.

I love the idea of werewolves becoming vampires. That is a really fascinating idea.

It really is. You know what I myself like about it? That the weres are “normal”, civilized people, and that the vamps are crazed, mindless monsters. It’s usually the other way around. no really – go have a look. Vamps are almost always classy white snobs who do or do not drink…. wine, and weres are dirty scruffy Native American tribal peoples who like beating the shit out of each other for fun.

It’s kind of sad that there can’t just be a character who happens to be black without there being some kind of Lesson™ about how Discrimination Is Bad or something like that. It’s kind of one of the reasons Micah is black in the first place (doesn’t help that the book is set in Tennesee)—not because I want to have a Lesson, but because I want there to be a character, and she happens to be black, and that’s perfectly normal.

^This. Like I said, there’s a mini-rant on the way.

hey when did it have time to rip out my throat?

The untimely huge slab of exposition: fun for sporkers of all ages.
    Good point.

Though I suppose in this case it’s quite understandable considering how detailed my admiration of black women’s skin was…

Couldn’t help lolling at that.

seeing as how skin color is a rather conspicuous part of any person’s appearance. ;P

But yeah. I find it incredibly sad/disturbing/damned inconvenient that commenting on someone’s skin tone is automatically discriminatory.

Yeah, especially when you have to describe what someone looks like, to someone else who doesn’t know.

And I’ve been known to say “good girl” to guys (although that was only when he said “yes, sir” to me first).

Lol.

I like really pale people. And freckles. If that says anything about me.

:-0
    Me too! Awesome!

There are those teenage boys that will turn absolutely anything into a unclever double entendre or giggle/ mishear absolutely everything in terms of crass or crude comments. But they are not the entirety of boys.

The thing about dirty jokes is that you always reach a limit. There’s always one person in the group who’s more pervy and vulgar than the rest, to the point of grossing even them out and stopping the discussion of scrotums or whatever other topic. then everyone shivers, collectively agrees that now they’ve heard it all, and artificially changes the subject.

I know it’s a running joke that guys think about sex every two minutes or something like that, but it simply isn’t true. If you actually set a timer for however often it is that guys are supposed to thinking about it, it quickly becomes apparent just how ridiculous that concept actually is.

seven seconds, they say.
    Untrue, like you said. However, once we start thinking about sex, it’s kinda hard to get out of that mindset. Haha, c whut i did thar.
    I think that’s where the stereotype comes from. It’s kind of like cartoon quicksand – if you steer clear, you’re okay… but once you’re in, you’ll a have a lot of trouble getting out again.

It’s going to be a wide variety of things from loneliness, over-analyzing past interactions, thinking of the next step, how she talked and yes how she looks.

I couldn’t have put this better myself. Of course, most of the time I try to picture the girl in question putting up my insanity, then fail miserably at making the image realistic and then stop caring.

Of course the problem with slang is that it dates itself pretty quick. but chest monster will always be weird. That is, in fact, timeless.

You don’t have to say “pills”. “Balls” is fine, and also timeless.
    I got “pills” from Lord of the Flies, btw.

lost somewhere far from home

jacks up old radio
    Anybody out there? Hellooooooooooo?

Now, that minirant:

You wanna know how not to do it?
    Exhibit A: House of Night.

Our protagonist, Zoey Redbird, is part-Cherokee and as such SO IN TOUCH WITH NATURE AND ITS MYSTICALNESS AND HER CULTURAL HERITAGE AND ANCESTORS AND SHIT!11!!1!!!!!1!!
    But wait! There’s more:
    Once she gets to the titular vampire school, she makes a bunch of BFFs, among which is Stevie Rae (Okie), Damien (gay) and Shaunee (black). You see the words in brackets? Each word describes the character in question’s ENTIRE FUCKING PERSONALITY.

Damien has conservative, homophobic parents, especially his dad. He also feels the need to point out whenever he sees a hot guy, because he likes guys instead of girls, because he’s gay, you know? His girl friends also constantly tell him that he shouldn’t try to give them advice on guys, cause he’s not like a real guy anyway, you know, since he doesn’t like girls, you know, what with being gay and all. this is treated as a joke, not an insult. Also, he’s very sensitive and caring and chatty and cultured and he talks with his hands and likes commenting on pretty clothes because he’s gay. His girl friends like pointing out that he’s gay, and Zoey’s narrative describes him as gay and not straight everytime he makes an appearance. Why? BECAUSE HE’S GAY, GODDAMMIT! THIS IS SUCH A PROGRESSIVE BOOK, FOR FEATURING A GAY SUPPORTING CHARACTER!!!!

Stevie Rae wears cowboy boots and a Stetson and likes listening to Kenny Rodgers and Shania Twain. She speaks with a nigh indecipherable country twang. Because she’s an Okie, you know?

Shaunee developed a crush on an Okie guy and felt bad, because what if he’s a racist? Cause all Okies are racists. She commented on a black redshirt who died, cause it’s such a shame when a “cute brother” dies, and upon this Zoey felt the need to point out that it’s a shame when any cute guy dies, BECAUSE RACE SHOULDN’T MATTER ANYMORE IN SOCIETY TODAY U GAIS R U LISTENEENG?? Ugly or average-looking guys are a different ballgame, it seems.
    Zoey then encourages Shaunee to go for the Okie guy, and they end up dating, and Zoey’s narrative tells us that a mixed-race couple is SO RARE AND AWESOME and that the rest of the world can learn SO MUCH about tolerance and whatnot from this. also, Shaunee’s BF feels the need to comment on her race as well.

sighs an actual RL sigh

I’m done.
    Credit goes to Zeldaqueen on livejournal, who sporked this shit.
    I feel her pain.

bq. Stevie Rae

My Mother's from Oklahoma.

Oh and the Stevie Ray Vaughn fan in me would like to protest.

bq. that a mixed-race couple is SO RARE AND AWESOME

When you think about it most couples (in melting pot countries at least) have a pretty fair chance of being mixed race (Heinz 57 Caucasian Mongrel and all). Just not in the way that particular Author's thinking.

^You see?

One commenter on zeldaqueen’s spork noted that at least Shaunee isn’t named LaShonda or something like that.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012

When you think about it most couples (in melting pot countries at least) have a pretty fair chance of being mixed race (Heinz 57 Caucasian Mongrel and all). Just not in the way that particular Author’s thinking.

Heck, there’s a fair number of mixed couples in the way that particular Author was thinking, and they’re so not-focused on racial implications, it’s not funny. There’s five I know of in my immediate area, and keeping in mind I live in the heart of hick country where 90% of the population is white, 6% is black, 2% are Asian (mostly Korean/Chinese), and the rest are everything else, that’s saying a lot. And the oldest daughter of one black-white couple married the son of Japanese immigrants. Their children are SO CUTE! Especially their youngest girl. X3

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012

it’s a shame when any cute guy dies

This is so shallow it’s horrifying. >.>

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012

You could try the Harry Potter approach. We know/notice that Angelina is black. We know/notice that Dean Thomas is black. When Fred asks out Angelina, the only comment is that she’s cute/hot . When Ginny dates Dean, the only conflict is Harry wants her. No mention is made of Dean being black at all. Just OMG THEY ARE KISSING CHEST MONSTER DOES NOT APPROVE.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2012

This is so shallow it’s horrifying. >.>

You might not want to look up the series. It starts off with so shallow it’s horrifying and then it breaks down into the glorification of the worst aspects of…well, call it humanity, even though vampires are, of course, the bestest of best everness, including the best people. Why is that such a popular trope? :(

But personally, I also like the idea of just having a cast of characters of whatever heritage and then not not making too big a deal about it. Depending on the story, it may make a difference in subplots and character interactions, but I also don’t want to overstep and appropriate someone’s experience that I haven’t made an effort to understand, etc.

But personally, I also like the idea of just having a cast of characters of whatever heritage and then not not making too big a deal about it.

This.

• CommentAuthorMnemone

But do we know Angelina and Dean are black, really? Does it matter? The answer is No. They just become names with no particular appearance attached to them. Nice names, reasonably memorable names, names of people who are "the good guys", but it's not something you notice or remember until at least the third reading.

If everyone has dark hair and dark eyes then race is entirely unimportant.

...huh? No, it is specifically mentioned that Angelina is a black girl, and that Dean is a black boy. It isn’t dwelled on, but then, no one else’s skin tone is either. Unless you count “Weasleys have freckles”.

• CommentAuthorMnemone
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2012 edited

Yes, it specifically mentions their race, but is that really what the reader sees subconsciously when their name appears in the text? JK Rowling created some of the greatest characters ever written, but outside the triumvirate and certain teachers like Snape or Dumbeldore, the physical appearance of most of the characters isn't mentioned very much or merits memorable description. Kingsley Shacklebolt and Cho Chang have distinct physical appearances, the latter mostly because of her name and Harry's obsession, but most characters of colour are not drawn in much detail.

Their ethnicity is arbitrary, in other words.

What, so you have to emphasize race? I’d prefer ethnicity be arbitrary, for the most part- why do people have to be defined by ethnicity or skin color? Dean is defined by loving Manchester U, drawing well, and not being hotheaded. Race isn’t a big deal in the UK, at least not the way it is in the US.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2012 edited

I found this subject to be interesting, as one of my stories-in-progress has the hero, who is white, falling in love with a black woman. It is a different world, so the racial history isn’t the same, but I do have the idea of him thinking she is beautiful because she is black, not in spite of being black. I appreciated Kyllorac’s comments on the attractiveness of black women, and I hope to be able to work something like that into the story. The hero of this story probably would notice things like that in contrast to him, since he is a very fair-skinned redhead. I admit I haven’t had many ideas about her culture, because I didn’t want to fall into stereotypes like Paolini did. Later, a couple characters of mixed race will appear in the other stories set in that world.
    And yes, I like the way that Harry Potter did it. There were black characters, but they weren’t defined by their race. (Though I actually quite liked what we saw of Kingsley Shacklebolt, and would like to know more about him.) I remember that Percy Jackson brought that up, too—there was a black character (Beckendorf), but he was mostly defined by his crafting ability, which was a big asset to his friends. And a daughter of Aphrodite was in love with him, so he must have been pretty attractive.
    I would like to know more about making a black character, without making them the token black character. Same thing for other races.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2012

Ok I have a gender related question. I have a fantasy story that relies fairly heavily on a strange hybrid of aristocracy and professional armies. So at one point knights titles were Sir, but this now broadened out to common military etiquette. So a Captain can be called sir as in “Yes sir.”

Problem is I’ve put women in the Dwarves army, but what do you call a female officer? Technically it’s ma’am, but it feels so anachronistic and just as a word I don’t really like it. My work around is just “Yes captain.” But is there another solution?

You could always just keeping using sir for both.

You might not want to look up the series. It starts off with so shallow it’s horrifying and then it breaks down into the glorification of the worst aspects of…well, call it humanity, even though vampires are, of course, the bestest of best everness, including the best people. Why is that such a popular trope? :(

Thea’s right.
    All cool celebs are vamps, in that verse.
    Methinks the Casts (mommy and daughter cowriting) tried to battle the accustions of sexism, racism and homophobia that Twilight got, with results that… well, just read my minirant again, will ya?
    And to your unasked question, yes – the series was in fact written just to cash in on the craze. PC Cast is already an established author who writes “beautiful” and “romantic” romance novels about single middle-aged women fucking gods, angels and other preternatural beings who all look like male models. Her editors told her that vamps are the new black.
    So to speak.
    ;-)

But personally, I also like the idea of just having a cast of characters of whatever heritage and then not not making too big a deal about it.

This. I remember writing a (white) kid who came into the story, worried and confused, asking the other MCs if they’ve seen his godfather, who’d been missing for weeks. Obviously he had to describe the guy’s looks: “big black man, late thirties”.

No mention is made of Dean being black at all

Which is why I missed it, the first time through. I knew Jordan was black, though, cause he has dreadlocks. Very few white folks have those.

Nice names

I always thought that Katie Bell was an incredibly cute name. Maybe because I like the name Catharine/Katharine and all its different spellings and pet names.

Though I actually quite liked what we saw of Kingsley Shacklebolt, and would like to know more about him.

Had he been American, he’d have looked like a certain actor.
    He’d have dramatically misquoted old wizarding tomes before cursing some Death Eater’s head off, and he would’ve doubledared motherfuckers to say “Potter Stinks!” one more goddamned time.
    That’s what I think, anyway.

Women/girls get “sir”-ed all the time on the internet. Especially when they say something awesome/funny.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Women/girls get “sir”-ed all the time on the internet. Especially when they say something awesome/funny.

Especially when everyone on the internet thinks they’re a guy.

^That was kind of my point.
    But yeah. :-D

bq. Had he been American, he’d have looked like a certain actor.
    He’d have dramatically misquoted old wizarding tomes before cursing some Death Eater’s head off, and he would’ve doubledared motherfuckers to say “Potter Stinks!” one more goddamned time.
    That’s what I think, anyway.

That would have been awesome!

Actually in an idea I had these angels in human form gleefully kill evildoers and make up bible verses a la Jules Winnfield.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalling

I guess. But I think this that’s one thing that only fiction writers will do and I’m not sure I want to continue in that vein.

• CommentAuthorSen

Well then, I would suggest that you don’t. There’s no female equivalent for sir (at least not one that will carry the same meaning as the one you’re looking for. I mean lady or ma’am just doesn’t seem to sit right, does it?) so maybe make up a title? You’ve probably already considered this, and if you have, I’d say go for it. I’ve also come across a few titles that I had problems with, so I made up my own. The great thing about this is that, since it’s your own, you can ascribe exactly the meaning you were going for to that word. So you don’t feel that “sir” should be used to address a female. Well, in creating a title that’s going to be used specifically for a female officer, I think you would get a much stronger meaning across. I don’t think one can really picture a soldier or whatever characters you may have, barking at the officer: Ma’am, yes, ma’am!

Yeah … it’s not the same as it is with “sir”, is it? Go ahead and make up a title and allow it to carry as strong a connotation as “sir” does. Something intimidating, something that gives the reader the idea that any female bearing that title ought to be respected. Have you ever considered making up titles for both male and female officers? I suppose with the male officers you could have the freedom to alternate between your own word and with words like “sir” or “captain”, but it’s really fun to create your very own systems within a fantasy story. Maybe play around with your own ranking system with the Dwarves army and ascribe your own titles to each rank. Maybe you’re already doing that, and if you are, go on and do the same with the captains as well. Just a suggestion.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

i remember seeing a steampunk novel where they used “ser” for both genders. It worked.