Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorMnemone
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011

I enjoy reading plays very much and hope that you (second person plural) do so also. What plays do you read? Who are your favourite playwrights? Is it better to have lots of stage directions or not so many? What is the relationship between script and performance? Are there plays that are better to see than to read? Better to read than to see?

Note: This is intended to discuss the literary value of theatrical works. Discussions of performance and production should probably go somewhere else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

One of the best plays I’ve read (aside from A Midsummer Night’s Dream) is called Cosi, a local Australian play about the residents of a long-term mental ward putting on a performance of an opera (cosi fan tutti). I can’t remember the entire plot of the play, but the script was really brilliantly written, the characters were nuanced and subtly described through their dialogue and interactions, and all of the dialogue was at once naturally-flowing, engaged with the other characters, and condensed to make the most impact to emotion and to the plot. It was made into a movie, but I think it works best as a play, or even as a ‘reading’ of a play.

I love plays!

My favourite overall playwright would have to be Harold Pinter (The Homecoming is the best!), and it’s currently my goal to read all of his work. I love his dialogue, which is infuriating and too much like real life (and of course, ripe with all those goddamned pauses), and after reading too much, I begin to see the same speech patterns in real life.

Tennessee Williams is also good, although I’ve only read two of his.

In my acting class, I’m working on Mamet’s Oleanna, which is also brilliant (I’m doing a monologue from act two). I need to get around to reading his other plays.

However, my all time favourite play is Angels in America (the miniseries was also good). It is truly a work of genius, although very strange. I also like how, even though it deals with the AIDs crisis, it’s not as depressing as other plays about the same subject (Like The Normal Heart and it’s sequel. I’ve read The Normal Heart twice and the sequel once and GOOD GOD is that emotionally draining.). I mean, it is depressing at times, but at least it doesn’t make you want to jump off a cliff.

I love musicals too (even reading them) and have read most of Sondheim’s plays (though the books are by different writers), which is interesting, especially if you read the original versions and then see/read the updated ones, to compare changes in the script. Of all book-writers, George Furth would be my favourite, because the dialogue for Company is truly wonderful (plus, it’s my favourite musical ever). I most just enjoy reading Sondheim’s lyrics though, since they say so much on their own (I’ve got his first book of collected lyrics and it makes me squee nerdily because he is a genius)

When reading, I don’t really have a preference for how many stage directions there are, and actually, I enjoy seeing how different playwrights handle it. I would image that seeing them is better, but live theatre is way to expensive.

I love reading them out loud and doing different voices, but for plays with fast paced dialouge cough Pinter cough that gets hard.

I recently picked up The Complete Works of Shakespeare at my library’s book sale for a dollar, so maybe I’ll be able to read more (I’ve only read about two of his), although I’d much, much rather watch Shakespeare than read him.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Probably the very first plays I read and loved where Agatha Christie’s adaptations of her novels (or, in some cases, original plays that she later adapted into novels). I had the fortune to see The Mousetrap performed when I was fairly young (thus beginning my lifelong love of Agatha Christie and aversion to the song “Three Blind Mice”) but I’ve greatly enjoyed reading some of her other plays as well. Ten Little Indians in particular was great in play form, especially because I hadn’t read the novel first. It was as suspenseful as any book!

Tennessee Williams is also good, although I’ve only read two of his.

Which two? I’m writing a paper right now on The Glass Menagerie and A Streetcar Named Desire. I really enjoyed both, which was nice, because normally I don’t consider myself a huge fan of plays.

We watched Athol Fugard’s Master Harold…And The Boys in AP Lit. That is the most depressing play I have ever seen.

Which two? I’m writing a paper right now on The Glass Menagerie and A Streetcar Named Desire. I really enjoyed both, which was nice, because normally I don’t consider myself a huge fan of plays.

Those same two. Streetcar is an amazing movie, too.

• CommentAuthorMnemone

I liked *Master Harold....* very much -- it's probably the best play I've ever read about racism.

I rented the miniseries version of *Angels in America* and it drove me crazy. All of that mystical bullshit was unnecessary -- the best parts were the ones about the real people, like with Louis trying to live with the fact that his sweetheart is going to die, Mary-Louise Parker's character struggling with her husband's sexuality (Patrick Wilson never looked so handsome). That would have been enough for me.

You guys might consider reading *Cat on a Hot Tin Roof* to complete the triumvirate of Tennessee Williams' most famous plays. It's a good play, and the movie has Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor in it.

I rented the miniseries version of Angels in America and it drove me crazy. All of that mystical bullshit was unnecessary — the best parts were the ones about the real people, like with Louis trying to live with the fact that his sweetheart is going to die, Mary-Louise Parker’s character struggling with her husband’s sexuality (Patrick Wilson never looked so handsome). That would have been enough for me.

As much as I liked the mystical bits, I agree with you. The interactions of the characters are really what make it for me. (and yeah, Patrick Wilson was pretty yummy in that. And Mary-Louise Parker is nice to look at, too.). Still, I did like the plot with the angel, and Prior’s speech about telling God to piss off. I loved the dialogue in that one as well. In my acting class, one pair is doing the scene where Harper finally asks Joe whether he’s gay, and it’s great.

My “Plays to Read” list:

1. Anything by Pinter
    2. Seed-the-Plow, David Mamet
    3. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Tennessee Williams
    4. Death of a Salesman, Arthur Miller
    5. The Cherry Orchard, Anton Chekhov

There are probably more, but they aren’t coming to me right now.

Also, how do you feel about Equus?

I own Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, but I read the other two because those were the ones my teacher assigned. I have seen the movie, it was pretty great.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011 edited

I hated The Glass Menagerie. I rather liked A Streetcar Named Desire.

No, I haven’t seen the film of Streetcar. But the pages drip with sexual tension, which, as a 16 year old (when I read it) I could understand. Menagerie was too depressing and pointless for me.

EDIT: Hey, other plays I recognize! I really, really hated Equus. Again, too depressing and pointless. And pretentious. I don’t mind a play being depressing for a reason, if the characters learn something/grow. But… gah. I didn’t like Master Harold and the Boys, but I don’t remember why. Oh, and I read Death of a Salesman ages ago. I did not like it. Same reason as Equus.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011

Menagerie was too depressing and pointless for me.

Amen. To top that off, my mom thought it was funny (?) to keep telling me that one day I would have “gentleman callers” lining up to ask for my hand. I think she started saying it as a joke, but as the years progressed and I went through high school without any gentleman callers, it became more serious. That’s on my list of Things to Never Say to My Children.

Admittedly, I don’t read a lot of plays. I did enjoy Antigone, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

We just read/watched Streetcar in my theater class, conveniently enough. It was pretty good. Not exactly the happiest of stories and happiest of endings, but good nonetheless. The movie really is pretty fantastic, it was done very well. (we watched the original movie, by the way, with Marlon Brando and Vivian Leigh, so I can’t really comment on other film adaptations of it)

In my high school AP Lit class, we read Antigone (as well as Oedipus Rex and Oedipus at Colonus) and… meh. I can see why it’s such a well-known play (same for Oedipus Rex) but they’re all just so depressing. Oedipus at Colonus was probably the most cheerful of the lot (because Oedipus sort of gets a semi-happy ending), but I didn’t like it overall as much as the other too. Anyway, I still like them as good writing, but not so much as entertainment. The other Greek play I’ve read is Lysistrata, which is, well, a whole lot more entertaining. 2000 years later, and that play is still hilarious.

• CommentAuthorMnemone
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011 edited

What translation of *Lysistrata* did you use? The premise for that play is great, but I have yet to find a translation where the Spartans' dialogue doesn't grate on me.

Sen -- Have you considered writing such a play yourself? I admire *Master Harold....and the boys* very much, because it crams a great deal of material into a one-act play, but there are indeed many other plays that deal with similar material. I didn't think of it as a particularly South African play, in fact. With a few adjustments you could have it be set almost anywhere.

EDIT: I affirm the greatness of *Death of a Salesman*. From there you might jump to any number of plays by Eugene O'Neill, or to Lorraine Hansberry's *A Raisin in the Sun* . Or you could turn back to more Arthur Miller, and read *A View From the Bridge* and *All My Sons* . From *A View From the Bridge* you could go to *Fences* by August Wilson and then Wilson's Century Cycle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I don’t know, actually. I was at my cousin’s house and was immensely bored, and the nearest book to hand was her English textbook for school. So I started flipping through it, because sometimes there’s some interesting stuff in there, and came across Lysistrata. So whatever translation is used in high school textbooks!

I do recall the Spartans being kind of annoying. But it seems like that was probably a little bit intentional, right? With the Spartans being the backwards, unadvanced types as compared to the clearly much more brilliant Athenians?

LYSISTRATA!

Sex comedy and the war of the sexes is ageless :D

• CommentAuthorMnemone

Re: Glass Menagerie

Yeah, it’s depressing. But there’s something poetic about it that I just love.

Re: Equus

So weird, but honestly, I loved how screwed up it was.

But then again, I love depressing things. Give me something that leaves me weeping in a corner for hours and I’ll be happy as a…clam? (are clams happy? Where does that phase come from?)

• CommentAuthorMnemone
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2011

To the Inspector K-- Do you think that lyrics written for singing with melody, harmony, etc. should be regarded as poetry? There is much kerfuffle, for example, over the songs of Bob Dylan, as one of the world's greatest songwriters, being studied as if they were poems. Many academics do not believe they stand up to such analysis.

Aside from plays by Shakespeare and Moliere, has anyone else read plays with effective dialogue written in verse?

Lyrics should be lyrics….without the music, they are missing something. In some cases, lyrics are fun to read on their own, but unless you know the tune, it lacks a soul. Also, because they are written to fit a melody, they can be forgiven if they aren’t quite perfect. (although Sondheim’s lyrics are sublime).

I’m not saying that lyrics are a lesser form than poems, but they should be regarded differently.