Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

So, I sometimes have trouble writing dialogue in a way that makes people read it in the way that I want it to be read (like with the right tones and inflections and what not). For example, in a short story I did for creative writing class, I tried to write a character’s dialogue in one scene in a way to indicate that she was crying while speaking. To do this, I used a lot of dashes and ellipses to try and show pauses in speech, like when you take breaths when you cry, but people seemed to read it more as stuttering in fear. I got a lot of comments about how people don’t really stutter like that when they’re scared, so that was apparently not how to write crying dialogue. Does anyone know how to do this?

Another example would be to show that someone is angry or kind of yelling without using a tone of exclamation points of CAPSRAGE. I use italics a lot for this, but people don’t always pick up on why the italics are there.

So, yeah, this is just in general, how do you show how a character is saying a specific line so that the reader knows what it’s supposed to sound like?

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011

I mostly use italics. I overuse them, in fact. Also, it depends a lot on the actual dialogue. On what words are used. For anger, you can add in descriptions of what they’re doing while they’re speaking [jaw clenched, fists clenched, stomping around, frowning] and for crying I normally going for using descriptive words instead of playing with the dialogue.
    In my opinion, it’s often more about the words used around the dialogue, and then it’s up to the reader to interpret the words and dialogue- hopefully the same way as you wrote them.

In my opinion, it’s often more about the words used around the dialogue, and then it’s up to the reader to interpret the words and dialogue- hopefully the same way as you wrote them.

I’ve tried this before, and I think that’s what I’m going to try to do when I revise, to make what’s going on more clear. Showing pauses in dialogue without it looking awkward is something else I need to figure out.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Well, I’m sure you’ll figure out some way of doing it.

To do this, I used a lot of dashes and ellipses to try and show pauses in speech, like when you take breaths when you cry

That makes sense to me. Of course, it depends on context.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011 edited

I generally use much more descriptive content around the dialogue than changes to the dialogue itself. He said furiously, he stormed, she shouted, she raged. I include people pacing, throwing stuff, hitting their fists against things, slapping. A little dash of that kind of stuff gets the point home pretty reliably.

For crying, same deal. Straight-up say that the character breaks down into tears/sobbing/ what have you, describe her or him putting their head in hands, curling up, whatever, and then the pauses in dialogue will be more clear.

I also use * * bracketing for onomatopoeia (no, I didn't spell that right on the first try) so

" Well... *sniff* that's true, I guess..."

I'm satisfied with it. Just my two cents.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Dialogue and descriptive tags are your best friend. If you want to show pauses or really emphasize how a character says something, they’re the best way to go, and they’re far less annoying/ambiguous than ellipses/dash/italics abuse. And tags don’t always have to describe the dialogue directly or even be placed at the start/end of each line of dialogue.

For an impromptu example:

After a certain point, though, you have to realize that readers will read and interpret the dialogue as they will, and there is nothing you can do about it. There comes a point where you’ll try too hard, which will make for clunky, unpleasant and unrealistic to read dialogue.

The best you can do is hint at the intended tones of voice through tags and gestures, but if you’ve written your characters well enough and have ensured that their dialogue is consistent throughout the piece, your readers will be quite capable of filling in the blanks on their own.

The old adage “actions speak louder than words” is very much true.

That example was actually really helpful, Kyllorac. Thanks.

I think I overdid the ellipses/dashes thing before (just in that one scene), but I’m going to try to describe more of what the character is actually doing along with the dialogue, like what you and Inkblot said. I was basically trying to do a type of panic attack.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011

You have to be careful with “...” and “!” and any other kind of textual effect, because the reader can rapidly get annoyed with you if you overuse them. I agree with Kyllorac’s advice here.

I try to avoid speech tags/said bookisms whenever possible and try and make the dialogue itself convey everything you need to know, but that doesn’t always work and it’s not very helpful besides. I think mixing dialogue with intermittent actions is a good strategy for conveying mood on top of breaking up big dialogue chunks and giving you another avenue to play with the pacing.

(I do usually make an exception on the “no dicking with the dialogue via tags” in the case of volume, though, since it’s even less evident than tone.)

I’d say more but this shit already took me too long to type. Fucking keyboard.

• CommentAuthorSen

Or, you know, you could always just rely on being able to sprinkle adjectives all over the place whenever you wish. ‘Traitor tears were there betraying me…’ So now the idiot reader knows for sure that she’s crying against her will.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011 edited

My computer’s going nuts…

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

No one’s ever going to read dialogue the way the writer intended it, which is why you I agree with the general consensus here—you should just use speechtags and other descriptive bits to prod them in the right direction. Launching into straight up dialogue for emotion is tough.

I don’t know about crying, because people cry for a lot of reasons, but for anger, say, what the character is saying in addition to the way what they’re saying is written should both give clues to how they’re saying it. Its tough with others, but anger has a habit of seriously limiting one’s vocabulary. Kyllorac’s example (which cracked me up by the way, I love the way Tom reacts) shows that really well.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Everybody’s keyboards are going weird all of a sudden. What is wrong? Sen, Sansa, people in the MQ thread…
    And what everyone else said makes sense. About the Emotion in Dialogue.