Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I thought it’d be interesting/fun to make a demographic survey of II. Completely anonymous, of course. Possibly still creepy. Because I’m interested.

Do you think we should do it?

Edit: I did make one. It is here.

Go nuts, guys. And don’t worry. Your anonymity is safe with me. No-one can see the results except for me, and I’m not logging IP addresses.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011

I’m always up for a survey. What sort of questions were you thinking of including?

In list format for your convenience.

age (categories, with numbers 14 through 19 listed separately, because I think that’s our highest concentration)
    gender (including other)
    what country are we in (US, AUS, GB, NZ, SA, and others)
    sexuality (multiple options can be selected: homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual, asexual, undecided, transexual, other) (This one feels a bit intrusive, but it’s anonymous)
    how many times a week/month/day you log on to the forums (how addicted are we?)
    do you write, read, spork, mock or all of the above?
    do we trope (yes, no, I might if not for….)
    education level (from primary school through to post grad degree)
    relationship status (married, single, in a relationship)
    what genres you read

I feel so intrusive.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011 edited

multiple options can be selected: homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual, other

I feel like I have to object to this. There should be a line to write what you want on it. I do not want to have to choose ‘other’, it effectively erases my sexual identity and associates me with wrongness/incorrectness, social Otherness and disconnection. Sexuality isn’t just about one, the other, or both (or, if you’re weird and different, “other”) any more. There’s a growing movement to replace the “GLBT” acronym with “QUILTBAGP”[1] or something like it. There’s a huge spectrum of orientations2 that are becoming increasingly more vocal in society, and limiting any survey to only three real options and an ‘other’ is just not acceptable any more. And sexual orientations are no longer just about sex3.

1 Queer, Undecided, Intersex, Lesbian, Transsexual/Transgender, Bisexual, Allied/Asexual, Gay/Genderqueer, Pansexual…

2 _Think less like the Kinsey scale, and more like a Cartesian plane.

3 As a friend of mine put it, “gender is fluid, and I shall drink of it”

steps down from soap box

I also have no idea what “do we trope” means.

My gosh, I am SO sorry! I thought better of that list for both gender and sexuality once I posted it and thought I edited it! Having a conversation with you of all people, too. I feel very embarrassed and terrible. I cannot emphasise enough how sorry I am. You must think I am a cold and terrible person.

the list I meant to put in, in the order that I thought of them, reads:

Sexuality:

Heterosexual
    Homosexual
    Bisexual/bicurious
    Asexual
    Undecided/unsure
    Don’t want to say
    Other (please specify)

Female
    Ambiguous
    Transsexual
    Other (please specify) – just in case, because I have no idea.

and you can check multiple options in each.

Also, ‘do we trope’ I will change to ‘are you a troper?’

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011 edited

That sounds more like it. : ) I’m not as upset as I probably sounded, but it is one of those issues that gets my hackles up.

Alas, “are you a troper” makes equally little sense to me. I guess at least I know enough to answer ‘no’ to that one.

I still feel so terrible and about three centimetres tall.

Not even that. My gosh.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Relax, homeslice. You’re cool.

Lol, homeslice. Okay.

Right…. Do you often visit/contribute to tvtropes.org?

“gender is fluid, and I shall drink of it”

Ew.

Not the idea behind it, just the metaphor.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

I like the idea of a survey...don't know how many people will, though.
    • CommentAuthorNo One

Mmmm, I like the idea of a survey too. Surveys are fun. There’s a flood of surveys at my school at the moment too.

Duuuude, BlueMask, make an intro thread!

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

Surveys are fantastic! They’re always so interesting and informative, especially on the faceless internet. Plus, I love trivia, so bits of random info like this really fascinate me. I’m all in!

I will make this, I think.

Here it is!

Because I have nothing better to do with my time than this.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I’m pretty sure I’m firmly average in every area as far as that survey goes. :P

You might think that, btu I’m willing to bet there’ll be some surprises.

I took it. I love taking surveys. I have no idea why.

I did it!

I am curious about the results, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

I took the survey and I, too, am curious about the results.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Well, that was fun. :D Can’t wait to see the results!

• CommentAuthorNo One

.... Dude, include more options in the level of education. I’m still in high school, but I haven’t dropped out or completed high school. I didn’t want to choose primary school either.

Whoops. I meant to fix that.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Oh yeah, I chose “completed high school” because I’m still in college.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

I took it. I didn't know what to put for frequency of visit on Impish because while I'm visiting multiple times a day right now, I've gone with long periods of not visiting at all. So I split the difference with a couple times a week.

But yeah, there probably could've been a currently in high school, currently in uni. Fortunately, I'm graduate from both :)

@Taku yikes, they might want to work on that new acronym because that's getting so long it will be too unwieldy to use.

frequency of visit has two sections—one which addresses the long periods issue, and one that addresses the what you do when you are around.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011

Oh, my bad. I must have read the questions too fast.

tut tut. Naughty, naughty.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011

I have taken it! I’m glad there was the ability to choose multiple options, I needed that for a few questions.

Survey completed. :D Please post the results!

I will once we get more than 23 people :)

how many active members do we have? How many answers do you expect to get? We’re kinda small…

Just did it.
    I think I broke it, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2011

I did it! Although I didn't answer the age question. Or the school one. Homeschooled wasn't on the list, and i only realised that I could have written it in the little box when I finished. So yeah. I did the survey.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Oh hey, another homeschooler. :D There seem to be a lot of us around. Maybe one day we can band together and fight the Australians.

/irrelevance

I was homeschool’d too, and I know that others here were, too.

FIGHT THE AUSSIES. FIGHT EM.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2011 edited

FIGHT EM indeed. And it must say something about my personality when I cock a snook at them because LOTR wasn't filmed here rather than because the All Blacks won some game with a ball. Rugby, who cares?

Shoot. I forgot religion. THAT would’ve been interesting. I may have to fix it up and make you all take it again.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Okay. But please include Discworld as a religeon, because my devotion to those books is stalkerish and religious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011

FIGHT THE AUSSIES. FIGHT EM.

You can try, but we have wombats. Wombats with frikkiin’ snakes strapped to their heads.

Don’t forget the koalas.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Koalas who are trained at throwing spiders like some kind of poisonous writhing ninja stars.

Also, kangaroos, who don’t need to be trained at anything more than disembowelling you with their feet and drowning your pet dog.

And also koalas will rip appendages off you like there’s no tomorrow. And then eat your face.

Bilbies and numbats, as the only Aussie animals that DON’T try to kill you, should be more respected just for this reason. Because I fully suspect that if they were provoked too much, they too would become things to be greatly feared.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011 edited

Bilbies are dangerous, they’re just rather more passive aggressive about it. “Fine, eat me! I hope you get diabetes!”

If your dog eats one, it will die.

@Steph: Ah yes, my young Padawan.
    Great and unexpected anger from lifelong supression comes.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

When I was in Aussie recently, I saw a giant saltwater crocodile.
    *shrugs* They live in Aussie. They are on the side of the Aussie.

WHY DO KIWIS CALL AUSTRALIA ‘AUSSIE’? IT REALLY ANNOYS ME.

Sorry, BlueMask, I know it’s just linguistic habit and the desire to annoy Australians.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Because we are lazy buggers who abbreviate everything. It annoys Australians? That's an unexpected +.

Rats.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

You can try to hide behind your odd little rabid animals, but you know in your heart of hearts that we’ll win out through sheer wit and superior good looks. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

we’ll win out through sheer wit and superior good looks.

THE AUSSIES counter with AUSTRALIAN BEER*!

IT’S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

*Carlton Draught, Victoria Bitter, XXXX, etc. Not Foster’s.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

I still hold my head up high with the fact that Lord of the Rings was filmed here, and I can actually climb actual Mount Doom, and act out the scene from the first movie in the actual forest. Of course, the tours cost a bucket...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011

More people! Answer this survey!

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Fine! Geez.

Don’t forget about boomerangs!

Why is there not an “I openly like Inheritance and twilight and I feel no shame :P” option?
    I like to read, but I feel the proper way to represent my feelings is something along the lines of “I love stories”.
    I’m not really sure what falls into which genre, so I’m skipping that.
    ...yeah, I’m an outlier I think.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

When do we get the results>

OKAY RESULTS ARE IN GOSH STOP NAGGING ME :D

32 people/monkeys with typewriters responded to the survey.

Female: 16
    Male: 15
    Ambiguous: 1
    Transgender: 1

There are three Imps for each of the ages of 14, 16, 17, and 23, while there are only two for ages 15, 18 and 24. Only one Imp for each age of 13, 21, 25, 26, 29, 30+. And there are 8 of us who are 19.

And I forgot to put a ‘13’ category in, so one person skipped that question. Heh. Whoops.

As a whole, we check II at least several times a week, with 40% of us checking multiple times a day.

In terms of sexuality, nearly 80% of us are heterosexual, 3 of us are bisexual or bicurious (bad me for not separating those two. Oops), 3 are asexual, 2 of us are undecided, 3 of us didn’t want to say, one of us is apparently underage and therefore not in possession of a sexual identity, and and one of us is pansexual.

Surprisingly, nobody checked homosexual, so I don’t know whether it was clumsy wording of mine or something else.

As for country— 20 of the 32 people who answered the survey are American, with 3 people each from Canada and Australia, and 2 from Britain, South Africa, and New Zealand. Also somebody wanted to let me know that they’re in California, so I guess that counts as another land if you’re talking about Hollywood…

In terms of education, I structured that question very badly, so I’ll just say that one of us dropped out of highschool, 3 of us have a Certificate or Diploma, and 12 of us have an undergraduate degree (or are completing it).

Now, as for what we’re doing on II…

94% of us are writers
    97% of us are readers
    19% of us spork, while 63% of us read those sporks
    50% of us just like to mock the popular targets
    2 of us are rewriting these targets
    and 16% of us like Eragon or Twilight but feel a vague sense of shame about it.

favourite genres to read:

(ignore the grey area. The other results are:
    Poetry – 16%
    Non-fiction – 20%
    Terrible writing for fun – 35%)

When it comes to tvtropes, 31% of us don’t visit or contribute, 35% of us sometimes do, 2 of us frequently do, 22% of us binge on it, and 2 of us have a loathing of it that goes beyond all definition and avoid it like the plague.

And in relationship statuses, 80% of us are single, 2 of us are married, 4 of us are in a relationship, 1 of us has no idea, and nobody who did the survey has kids.

I was going to crosstab some stuff, but since I’d have to do that by hand because I don’t have a pro account, in the interests of anonymity I’m going to skip that one.

And there are the results.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2011

Wait, what are the favorite genres?
    Awesome survey, Steph! Thanks for doing it, it’s very interesting. Um, I just wanted to say that I did the survey twice, by mistake, so that’ll only be one person from NZ. Sorry!

fixed, and oh well, never mind :)

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Coolio, thx.

I thought there were more Australians on this site for some reason…

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Hmm, well it was started by an american, am I right?

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011

Well, not everyone has completed the survey. I can tell you that there is few more Aussies that probably hasn’t taken the survey yet.

Yeppers.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I think I was the “drop out.” Technically I did withdraw from the public highschool, but at the time I don’t think “homeschooled” was an option either.

facepalm

Maybe I might redo this some day when I get really bored. And actually, you know, get it right next time :)

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

This was pretty cool. Thanks for taking the time to put the survey together and share the results. Most fascinating . . . mua ha ha!

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

Awesome socks. When you read results like this, you totally want to play an invasive who’s-who with everyone.

But that would be wrong.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Yes, some of the results were really interesting. So, 19 year old’s are the majority, hmm? And there is at least one transsexual.
    We are a motley bunch, aren’t we?

So, 19 year old’s are the majority, hmm?

no

plurality

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

?

8/31 aint a majority it is a plurality

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Oh. Ok.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

Interesting. We need more Canadians to represent and it would appear, while I am not the oldest, I'm on the older end of things.

Was there a genre? Because neither of those top categories would I have voted for (poetry and non-fiction)

Wait, what are the favorite genres?

I still can’t see that picture…

Oh, and this was a cool survey.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Yes, I would have thought that fantasy would be in there…

high fantasy and low fantasy were in there.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011

Has anyone else noticed that TAKU’S ENTIRE LIFE is kind of designed to screw up surveys?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011

I am the exception to every rule.

EXCEPTION

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011

No, I meant, in the results. I voted fantasy!

I took the survey.

And then because I'm so marvelous the survey developed sentience and asked me out.