Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorAlyssa
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011

Okay, I was just wondering how many characters you have on your short story, novella, novel or a book series you're currently working on. I also want to know how many character limit you have.

I, personally only allow plenty of characters when an author is writing a trilogy or a book series. I mean PLENTY. I'm talking about more than 20 characters. I don't mind having plenty of characters on a novella or a novel but sometimes, it's hard to keep track of them when the character number exceeds over 20. What's really NOT acceptable is that there are plenty of characters in a short story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

Usually, I don’t mind lots of characters as long as they’re relegated to specific sections of a book and never meet with one another. If everyone meets all at once and it turns into some sort of brawl, I have no interest in keeping track of all those suckers.

The first project I’ve got going has seven central characters—four as the heroes, the antagonist and his right hand man, and a mercenary type figure who’s kind of being battered between the two. And then there are maybe three or so other minor character which I’ve taken a significant interest in.

The second project has three characters in the main band, one seperated protag, the main villain who has two people who he uses to get stuff done,, two characters who are sort of neutral, and one who doesn’t get directly involved, so that’s ten altogether.

I generally don’t limit my characters—I put as many characters as I need, and that’s that. Obviously, if I can merge two characters into one I’ll do that, but that’s not always possible. I think my first project probably had at least two dozen characters distributed across different circles, and they weren’t too difficult to keep track of because they were so different. The problem with so many characters is that if you like them then you’ll try to make the plot bigger to accomadate them which is a bad bad thing. I think I try to limit my character count to ten or fifteen these days, for my own sanity as well as others.

Let’s see in my first book of a fantasy trilogy I suppose after the halfway point when pretty much all main characters have been introduced it’s… 9 but 2 – 4 of them are the main ones. Then there’s 2 antagonists. Then there’s some secondary and tertiary characters like family members, “classmates” and such so… 19 but as I actually write the story there will sure to be new people created to fill in certain roles. Probably more than half of those don’t matter much with some pretty much just being nothing more than names. If you wanna count animal companions then I’ve made 5 with only 1 really being important.

Sooooo…. I suppose at this stage of planning and writing about 35. And obviously it gets higher in the second and third books with some characters being lost along the way. In the second and third books there are huge gaps in planning about the characters.

What series would have the most character ever? My bet would be on either Harry Potter or One Piece.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Uhhh…two? Hahaha. I’m seeing a ceiling at eight to ten, depending on the needs of the plot, and half of those are minor characters – half of those are one-time appearances.

About eleven important ones, (tweleve if you count the cat), because I guess this is sort of a small story, really. There are other characters, various policemen, peasants, servants, prisoners, and people living in Petersburg, but only about 11 are really important, and only three are viewpoint characters.

What series would have the most character ever? My bet would be on either Harry Potter or One Piece.

Bleach?
    Naruto?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

It’s kind of strange. If you asked me straight out without me thinking about it much, I’d say no, I prefer a small cast of just one or two main characters. But when I actually think about it, I realize that I actually use a lot of ensemble casts. It might focus on one or two characters primarily, but there’s still a large cast of main characters. Interesting realization for me to come to.

Doctor Who. Kind of inevitable after how many seasons it has. Or do you mean just characters that are regularly used? DW might not make it, then.

Of course, I have to throw out a shout-out to one of my favorite shows ever, Red vs. Blue. In the first five seasons, there were… let me think… eleven main characters (including the robot mechanic, the tank, and two ghosts) and two antagonists (one of which lived in the head of one of the sort-of good guys. Or at least the not-evil guys). And then there was Tucker’s alien baby and the evil computer and the alien on a quest and the other alien and the guy who came back from the dead…

And then there’s the more recent seasons, in which you get all of the Freelancers, and then it just gets crazy.

What series would have the most character ever?

Please. The Wire.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011 edited

I don’t know whether to shove you all into the Pit of Shame or crawl in there myself.

My one project has (I kid you not) 15 viewpoint characters. I haven’t even tried counting the secondary or tertiary non-viewpoint characters, but there’s a lot, and just the secondary cast alone numbers at least in the 20s. I don’t even want to think about the number of one-shot throwaways.

It started out as an affectionate fantasy parody. It exploded into a darkly humorous fantasy EPIC that deals (among other things) with the conflict between freedom and security (or Chaos and Order if you want to be more general/cliche). Considering its now-epic nature, I suppose I can get away with the crazy large cast.

What amazes me is that I’m somehow, thus far, managing to fit it all inside one book.

As for my other projects… None of them are as far along as the one mentioned above, but the trend of really large casts is very much present. What can I say? I like my characters, and I write mainly character-driven stories. It’s like a self-propagating cycle of character multiplication.

At least they’re all distinct and not easily confused, even the one-shot throwaways.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011 edited

Bleach?
    Naruto?

Nah One Piece has definitely got a million more than them.

Please. The Wire.

No idea still need to watch this…

Doctor Who. Kind of inevitable after how many seasons it has. Or do you mean just characters that are regularly used? DW might not make it, then.

Yeah Doctor Who might just take the cake but I don’t watch it. I guess I mean any character that has some significance in the episode or whatever they’re in and has a name. One Piece has lots of characters that are never seen again or seen rarely and the author even names random people in the background for fun and gives them a little pointless back story.

Kyllorac wow you’re really going to switch between 15 different point of views? Interesting… I would say my story is more plot driven because there’s some big mission the characters have to accomplish, but I like to think that sometimes things happen because of the way certain characters are.

I can’t believe nobody has nominated ASOIAF yet. After AFFC I lost track.

As for my WIP...I don’t know, I feel like the cast should be large but I’m deliberately experimenting with a more claustrophobic atmosphere, so I’m really trying to either a) limit the people that show up or b) have unimportant people appear in huge masses.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Kyllorac wow you’re really going to switch between 15 different point of views?

Not going to. I have. And there’s one secondary character that’s constantly going “Oh! Oh! Oh! Give me a viewpoint! Then you can reveal my evil schemes and… waitasec. Don’t give me a viewpoint. I don’t reveal my schemes to anyone. But then I only show up when Character X sees me… I take it back, GIMME A VIEWPOINT!!! But wait! My plotting! DDD:”

He’s not happy with getting a novella all his own from his own PoV, nope.

But yeah. I’m seeing if I can cut down on the number of PoV characters at least in future drafts. >.>

Cool. I was going to have 1 to 3 chapters that were from other people’s point of view but eventually decided against it because I feel the story works better only being from the main guy’s POV. The first chapter/prologue is from someone else’s POV though. Well actually a few. It does that thing where it switches between an invisible narrator and a few characters. That’s allowed isn’t it? In book 2 I want to do a part where you follow maybe 3 different point of views during the same time frame. So while all this hectic stuff is going on one character might hear an explosion. Then the next chapter starts from the beginning of those events again but from someone else’s view point and you find out what exploded and why. Like that The Simpsons episode with Bart, Lisa and Homer or whoever’s stories. But I dunno…

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Uhhhhhh. My novel in progress is based on real life, so it will probably mention around 20-30 minor side characters, plus about 5-10 major characters, plus two main characters.

Shame?

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011

Kyllorac, dare I ask how long the novel is? I mean, even assuming the POV characters only have, like, two pages a piece, that’s still 30 pages right off the bat. I think if it were me I’d start meandering at that point, so I’m slightly in awe that you’re managing to keep all those strings straight and lines moving.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I believe that every story that runs over 1000 words has roughly 26 characters. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but the baseline is generally 26. Certain “artsy” stories will try to use fewer, but these are generally less about the story and more about literary exploration.

• CommentAuthorDeborah

Mine has about 42 named characters. Plus eight who are mentioned but never appear in-story.
    As a contrast, my last one had only five for most of the story, except at the beginning and end.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

I don’t have an actual word count since I wrote most of it by hand in like five different notebooks and on various scraps of paper, but I’m guessing around 80K. Except that when I go to type things up, I can’t help but do a little bit of revising as I go along, and things keep slowly inflating… (i.e. one notebook page becomes 3+ pages in Word)

And Taku, I would challenge you on that. My short stories tend to have at most five characters, even the ones with over 1K words. Unless you count random background crowds or those that are only briefly mentioned by another character.

/me should really finish that one story about the carnivorous slugs…

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

Only 80k?! What. How in the world did it manage to be so compact? I’m flopping around at 60k with only two POVs. You may very well be my new hero.

I have to agree with Kyllorac on the character to wordcount thing. All my shortstories usually come in at just over 1k and I’ve never written a shortstory with more than two people—the most recent one I wrote only had one. You need as many characters as you need, I guess. Like, in the Catcher in the Rye, Holden meets only a handful of other characters—he thinks about quite a few, but he doesn’t meet that many, and of those he meets even fewer are named. I suppose it just depends on what type of story you’re dealing with.

You need as many characters as you need, I guess. Like, in the Catcher in the Rye, Holden meets only a handful of other characters—he thinks about quite a few, but he doesn’t meet that many, and of those he meets even fewer are named. I suppose it just depends on what type of story you’re dealing with.

Yeah… pretty much what Beldam said here.
    To take it to extremes (once again, using only TV as an example): a soap opera typically only has about 20-25 characters, half of them MCs that form the main focus of a particular arc, half of them just running around to make the setting look like RL where you and your neighbours/siblings/collegues sit down and discuss your issues every now and again.
    I would say that they’re not doing it realistically, but that would be more related to my generally negative attitude towards soap operas than anything else.

Then we’ve got Doctor Who, who travels through TIME! and SPACE!.
    Of course he’s going to meet hordes and hordes of one-shot people.

As for my own stuff:
    I usually have loads and loads of characters.
    My current WiP starts out with 6 MCs, but the 7th team member is due to arrive after a few episodes, and the 8th doesn’t really want to be there, but he helps out every once in a while. Then I’ve got 3 main antagonists (working separately, not together), as well as a large number of minor characters and lots of one-shots.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011 edited

And Taku, I would challenge you on that. My short stories tend to have at most five characters, even the ones with over 1K words. Unless you count random background crowds or those that are only briefly mentioned by another character.

I think you’ll find you use roughly 26 characters, if you’re writing in English. ‘S’ ‘T’ and ‘E’ are the most common.

And now back to your serious discussion.

Not counting peripherals, I tend to keep my characters to a minimum. I like to work with two or three at a time, at most. I find that if I try to work with more, I tend to forget to iunclude some in the scene, and focus in on the actions/thoughts of a single character to everybody else’s exclusion.

‘S’ ‘T’ and ‘E’ are the most common

Well played, sir. Very well played.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

applauds vigorously

Jolly good show, what?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Ernest Vincent Wright would disagree with you, Taku. He used only 25.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

I think you’ll find you use roughly 26 characters, if you’re writing in English.

What’s this? We’ve been had!

He used only 25.

Did he leave out…z?

@Inkblot – let’s have some more tea and crumpets, old chap. I say, this has been quite a smashing performance.

@swenson – I read somewhere that this one guy wrote books where he always omitted E. Was that him?

@Beldam – yes. Yes, you have. ;-)

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011 edited

I GOT YOUR JOKE, TAKU

I’m too lazy to count my non-PoV ones. I do have two alternating persistent PoVs, and 3 one-shots at the beginning, middle, and end. The structure doesn’t really call for more, since it’s basically a two-person road trip.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

@Beldam – Compactness is a something I excel at naturally; part of my style, you could say. Take this story for instance.

We have:
    Densely descriptive prose
    Characterization
    Plot
    A story within a story
    and
    A grand total of 1900 words (counting title)

I naturally tend to condense a lot into very little space. Makes writing papers and such with word/page minimums an absolute PAIN.

@Taku – Well played, though it does ignore the other characters, like the umlaute and variations. ;P

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

The umlaut challenges you. You’re lookin’ at the umlaut…and the umlaut’s lookin’ at you.

^Here’s lookin’ at you, umlaut.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@Klutor – that would be the one. It’s called Gadsby.

Looks like I win again.
    Do I get a cookie?
    puppy dog eyes

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I really want to read that. It piques my professional interest – how did he pull it off? Does it seem awkward? Is the plot interesting? If yes, no, and yes, respectively, that’s a pretty incredible feat.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011 edited

I’m not sure. I skimmed the Wikipedia page, and it seems that it’s not that great of a book (which he flat-out admitted in the foreword, because come on, it’s hard to write a book without active past tense (he apparently had to use things like “did walk” instead of “walked”, which could get awkward fast) or “the”) and doesn’t have that interesting of a plot, but is generally decently written.

In other news! My pre-order of Snuff, Terry Pratchett’s new book, just came today! Forget my homework and reading yet another hilarious Dwarf Fortress playthrough (Syrupleaf, in this case; I read Boatmurdered a month or two back and just finished Headshoots today), I’m going to go read Discworld books instead!

Um… yeah… that was related…

So in one novel which I’m aiming for 47 000 words (because it’s for kids, and that was the length of the longest Enid Blyton novel), I have fourteen characters, eight of whom have POVs. ...yeah, this is going to change once I finish the first draft. Am having fun now, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011

Ahaha, totally wrong thread, I only just now realized. I think it was supposed to go in Small Victories.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I actually have a lot of characters for once! My nano has ten people with names and personalities so far. Normally i bother to flesh out like two, and all my writing feels like a vacuum for it.

@ swenson: or the book thread?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Yeah, probably.

Enid Blyton novel

Yay, somebody else knows who that is!

^Noddy, right?

I grew up on Noddy.

I read her St. Claire’s and Mallory Towers books.

I still haven’t read all of St. Claire. I read all of Mallory Towers, though. Brilliant.

...still totally related.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011

It was Faraway Tree, Enchanted Forest, and Wishing Chair for me. Also, uncounted miscellaneous fairytales.

... How did this become about Blyton?

I mentioned Blyton’s word count on Five Go Adventuring Again as my goal for a novel I’m writing.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011

Is this characters in general or PoV characters? I write long books so I'll have a lot of characters that my main characters meet along the way. My one problem is because I have a head for names, I want to make lots of characters, but I'm afraid to confuse the reader. So then I end up naming a couple and then just referring to the rest by title or occupation: colonel, farmer etc.

I don't really like this method as to me it draws too distinct a line between 'important characters' and 'unimportant characters' to use roleplaying terms: PC vs cardboard NPC's. Which I don't like as I would prefer to give the feeling that there are multiple stories going on rather than everyone comes to life as the PC's tromp through the village. I'm not sure how to solve this conflict.

As for PoV characters, I've been trying my hardest to limit the number of PoV because I tend to see the same event from multiple perspective rather than through one and I want to tell them all. I have managed to cut it back to two main PoV's with 2 other sub PoV plotlines that weave around and merge with the main PoV character. The other PoV's I either dropped entirely or re-incorporated the essential information into another scene with a different PoV.

I've really been liking the idea of a lean, mean story that very efficiently tells the story while doing many things at once rather than a bloated, rambling story where each scene serves one purpose only.