Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorAlyssa
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011

Okay, I just started getting serious about writing when I was 18 years old (I'm currently 19 now) and now that I've looked back on some of the works I wrote on my blog, I'm not exactly proud of some of the things I wrote. I'm not ashamed of them but those works aren't exactly considered my best works. I just want to know what were some of the things that you wrote that you are ashamed of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I’m not proud of the fact that I’ve been “writing a novel” since I was 10, and still don’t have a single finished chapter to show for it.

I’m also extremely not proud of that one class in university where our only assignment was to write a story, but it had to follow the teacher’s storyline exactly. I was forced to write a sex scene. Obviously I no longer have a record of it.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

I can’t say I’ve ever been ‘ashamed’ of any of my writing—even at its worst, it helped me grow, so it would be a shame to be ashamed, I guess. But when I first started getting into writing as a day to dya thing (I think I was twelve or thirteen) I decided to write a dbz suefic (I didn’t know what a fanfic was back then, though) which was half prose half script format. Funnily, the prose bits weren’t that totally awful, and you can definitley see that it’s just a less refined version of my present style—but the characterization and plot were just bad bad bad. Just baaad.

One thing I am thoroughly embarrased by was when I wrote a scene I lifted wholesale off a commercial about a child helpline. I will never live that down.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

There’s some things I’ve written I won’t even admit to you guys, sorry. Suffice to say that in my younger years, I wrote a lot of really terrible, derivative stuff. We’re talking like My Immortal bad, only without the random sex scenes and probably better spelling, plus I never actually showed it to anyone.

Well, maybe not quite My Immortal bad. That would be pretty epically bad. But still very bad.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I used to be such a passive-agressive little brat that when someone was mean to me I would go write a story about them in which they got an epic comeuppance while I ended up living happily ever after with a smoking hot knight in shining armor.

but it had to follow the teacher’s storyline exactly

I can’t believe you had to do this in university. Talk about stifling the students’ natural ability.

^Hey, My Immortal is good!
    The stealthy parodies and insults, the easter eggs, the eerie predictions…. all hidden in a seemingly horrible badfic.
    Troll or not? That is the question.

Also, this is where I remind everyone that I’m sporking something that I’m definitely Not Proud Of at all.
    Have a look – if you dare. ;-)

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011 edited

I dunno. I wrote some pretty awful crap when I was twelve or thirteen and up to my eyeballs in wangst, but I’m so different now from what I was back then that it’s hard to be embarrassed for something someone else did. :P

On the subject of My Immortal, I must agree with Klutor: At first, secure in my immeasurable superiority, I scoffed; as I continued to delve further and deeper I stumbled across too many hints of a scattered, alien kind of intelligence to ignore. It outmaneuvered me. It made me doubt myself. I fled in horror and terror, my mistrust of even myself too great to continue.

You know what’s fun about this? I was on a forum for artists and sculptors a while back and the front page was always full of all this amazing, beautiful stuff. That place had a great community, and they started this thread where they put up pictures of the terrible art they’d done six or seven years ago. It was a huge morale boost to compare their crappy art to your crappy art and realize hey, I could get there someday after all.

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach

When I was very, very young, I totally plagiarized the shit out of someone else’s writing. And posted it online. In my defense, I was quite the naive kid, and had no idea what plagiarism even was.

Afterwards, I went back, felt horribly guilty and spent a great deal of time expunging every mention of that thing from the interwebs.

I still feel guilty about that, actually.

In terms of general writing, there’s a great deal of my writing that I’m not necessarily proud of, because it’s very, very poor writing. On the other hand, it will never be published or see the light of day, so it’s not really a big deal….it was good practice, and it helped me develop skills to write at a higher level.

@Inkblot: lmao.
    You know I’m writing a chapter-by-chapter analysis of MI, right?

When I was twelve, I wrote a ‘sequel’ to LotR about Aragorn and Faramir’s children (spoiler: they fall in love. D’awwww). I decided to involve Silmarils mostly because jewels are pretty. I had not read The Silmarillion at the time, so you can imagine how well it turned out. Unfortunately, that lovely piece of art has been lost to cyberspace.

My second lamentable writing piece was written even before that- I might have been in third or fourth grade. Anyway, I was being passive-aggressive (like Spanman) and wrote a story about being a tragically unloved middle child who got dog biscuits from my grandparents when all my siblings got really kickass Christmas presents (if anyone can guess where the dog biscuits come from, I’ll give you a cybercookie). My parents found the story, which was awkward. (I guess the story had a basis in reality but still, didn’t want to talk about it then, don’t want to talk about it now). Again, it is truly a misfortune to mankind that the epic of Tina and her sorrows has been lost to the sands of time.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011

Dog biscuits- let me guess, Aunt Marge gave them to Harry, whilst Dudley got a robot?

Correct! You have earned a cookie.

Stuff I’m not proud of…

Gather round, children, and hear me tell:

As some of you know, and many of you don’t and will be shocked and surprised to hear, I used to write Twilight fanfiction, right up until about five or six months ago. I was sick of it long before that, but I felt the few people who were still reading the story/series (Yes. I know. SERIES. I get myself into these kinds of things) deserved some kind of closure, and it was also bugging me that I hadn’t finished it, on general principle. It took forever to finish. I still haven’t finished posting it, either. I should really do that, so I can tie up the fanfiction chapter (see what I did there? har har) of my life and move on.

Dare I say it was kind of worth writing, though? For one thing, I’ve discovered that I have this insane talent for starting with a number of far-ranging and ludicrous premises, and tying them together in crazy ways by the end of the story. Discovering that is totally worth writing fanfiction based on a terrible, embarrasing franchise. It means I can write the kind of stories I’ve always wanted to write. I’ve also learnt a lot about my writing style. As such, I’m not exactly ashamed of the stories themselves, because I think in the way they are constructed and in the humour, they have merit. I am ashamed of the fandom I chose to focus on. Oh, so ashamed. And I do regret that about a third of the long-ish stories I have finished are Twilight fanfiction.

I mean… Twilight. Just Twilight.

So, yeah, there is a lot of that sort of drivel floating around the interwebz. Also, the one Twilight fanfic I did post here, where Edward kills Charlie? Anyone remember that? You all liked it (...or said you liked it, anyway), and I absolutely HATE it now. It’s terribly over-written and unbelievable, and I just want to crawl in a hole and die every time somebody reviews it.

• CommentAuthorNo One

The most recent thing that I’ve written that makes me want to die from shame…

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

When I was twelve, I wrote about a girl whose PARENTS DID NOT UNDERSTAND HER so she goes into the woods and meets Aslan a magical Talking Deer who converts her to Christianity and then dies saving her life.

There’s only one copy left, and my best friend has custody of it.

PARENTS DID NOT UNDERSTAND HER

This was a common theme for me. Funnily enough, my parents tend to be very supportive. Apparently, I was an angsty middle schooler too. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2011 edited

angsty middle schooler

Do those terms even need to be put together? It’s like saying “wet water” or something.

^Well said, Apep.

PARENTS DID NOT UNDERSTAND HER

You forgot the BAWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRR.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2011

On the flipside, my cousin and my sister once wrote a collection of stories (parodying Chicken Soup for the Soul; I can’t recall the exact title of it, but I believe it was something along the lines of “Chopped Liver for the Teenage Armpit”... they were young teenagers, as you may have noticed.). Most of them were retellings (or, rather, reimaginings…) of various trips, altercations, and other incidents that occurred between our two families, mostly involving our parents somehow. My sister even wrote a touching poem full of symbolism about her supposed hatred for my aunt. She later submitted it to the high school literary journal as a joke and it actually got in, complete with comments from people about how meaningful and emotional the piece was.

However, the whole thing was done in good fun, and my cousin still has a copy that I make her dig out so I can reread it every time I go to her house. Unlike most angsty teenagers, they actually had a pretty good grasp on comedic writing!

This was a common theme for me. Funnily enough, my parents tend to be very supportive. Apparently, I was an angsty middle schooler too. :P

I too was deep and thoughtful angsty as a middleschooler.

Do those terms even need to be put together? It’s like saying “wet water” or something.

Truth.

You forgot the BAWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRR.

XD

oh my god. When I get my own copy, I should TOTALLY do a dramtic reading.

When I get my own copy, I should TOTALLY do a dramtic reading.

Yay! I love dramatic readings!! Of anything!!!
    Badfics, Eye of Argon, breakup letters, facebook insults, yahoo answers, how babbies are formed…. love it!!!!!!
    injects self with tranquiliser

I dunno what I’m not proud of in terms of writing but I know what I AM proud of! I co-wrote a story with a friend that purposely made absolutely no sense. It began with a big that ate a live grenade and died of food poisoning. The pig holds no relevance to the rest of the story. It was called The Enchanted Sword and it involved things such as killing a talking squirrel only for it to come back to life and piss of the protagonist and bring back everyone else he killed over the course of the story which I think may have included Darth Vader. I think Buddha was in there somewhere. Then he went to hell and had to answer questions by Cerberus to leave or something, one of which was “What does SCUBA stand for?”. Aaaaaaand I think that’s about where the story was cut off and we never did any more on it. I hope he still has the file.

....okay maybe I’m not proud of that.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

I think everyone who’s spent at least a part of their adolescence on the internet has regrets about things they posted when they were younger. I can’t think of major ones for this site in particular, but I’m sure they exist.

On the topic of writing, I didn’t write passive-aggressive angst or bad fanfiction or anything. Mostly because I’ve never been much for putting my writing ideas on paper. I’m sure if I had actually written seriously back then (or ever, really) they’d exist somewhere. I have posted bad writing on other websites, and that feeling that everyone will only remember you for that time you wrote a choppy derivative thriller when you were twelve is all too familiar. Still, I agree with Beldam in that none of it was detrimental and in the end it helped me become better.

When I was 16 or so, I used to roleplay on GaiaOnline.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I used to know someone who did that. Older than I was. She had a somewhat forceful personality, but… suffice it to say I wasn’t quite as overwhelmed from that point on :P

Also, dear WiseWillow, two points for your consideration.

1. You owe me a cookie.
    1a. I really want that cookie.

2. This is about embarrassing writing-related moments. While, I assure you, this is quite fascinating, you shouldn’t feel obligated to spill personal information of that sort. :D

Now then, carry on lads!

GaiaOnline

ಠ益ಠ

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

LOLrite

• CommentTimeOct 14th 2011

@ Inkblot

Roleplay. There was very, very bad writing involved. Epic levels of excessive length, purple prose, and Mary Sue. It counts. And have a cookie. This batch turns your sweat purple.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

RE: Roleplay

Understood. Objection withdrawn.

RE: Cookie

Accepted. Yum.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

There was very, very bad writing involved. Epic levels of excessive length, purple prose, and Mary Sue.

It sounds like you were very dedicated.

I was very bored. And very, very oblivious to how terrible it was. Here’s my intro, I found it after digging through my old posts.

Facepalm

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Is it acceptable behavior for me to lol? I am trying very hard not to lol.

Go ahead, lol. I cringed so badly when I found that.

• CommentAuthorDeborah

In my case it was a story about a reindeer with diamond antlers, a horse made of gold, and a giant falcon going on a quest to rescue a lost prince and princess. Featuring deu ex machina smoke that carries the heroes to where they need to go, and a deu ex machina button to destroy the evil wizard. I was maybe twelve when I wrote that.

I am trying very hard not to lol.

Ditto.

bursts out in racous laughter, causing him to fall off his chair for the second time tonight

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Actually, I rather like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

C’MON REVENGE, LET’S PLAY A GAME TOGETHER! OH WAIT, YOU’RE A TREE! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

snort

Okay, I’m in control of myself again. Sorry.