Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Black metal parodies. They’re hilarious.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011

The Founding Fathers.

What could be cooler than tearing through records of ancient history, carefully analyzing Greek and Roman legend, attempting to set up a government never before seen under the sun? It’s one of the purest displays of Enlightenment-style absolute intellect being applied to problems ever, and it is awesome, saith I.

•  
      CommentAuthorClibanarius
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011 edited

bq. Quad bikes.

+ 1

bq. What could be cooler than tearing through records of ancient history, carefully analyzing Greek and Roman legend, attempting to set up a government never before seen under the sun? It’s one of the purest displays of Enlightenment-style absolute intellect being applied to problems ever, and it is awesome, saith I.

+1

This guy:

!http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/image.php?u=13682&dateline=1305348212&type=profile!
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2011

Picture/link not showing, Clib.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011

Because the Small Victories thread just wasn’t AWESOME enough.

I saw the Dark Knight last night. Finally. And there’s enough praise been heaped on it already, so I’m not going to make a speech…

...but DAMN, that was a good movie. shakes head in awe and speechlessness

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011

I GOT MY FIRST PAYCHECK TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND IT IS SLIGHTLY MORE THAN EXPECTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012 edited

Might seem like a small thing, but I love the weather right now. After weeks of scorching heat, it rained these past two days. But not too much. Just enough to get everything smelling all fresh and new (I don’t know why people complain about the scent, it’s lovely) and the sky was all peachy and golden afterwards. And everything was all still. And quiet. And warm. If only my camera could take decent pictures.

And also, the moon is awesome. IT JUST IS.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012

I love that description. And I hate how cameras can’t ever capture that kind of moment. It’s almost like magic is fighting back against technology.

• CommentAuthorSen

It’s almost like magic is fighting back against technology.

Yes, exactly. And guess what? Yet another full moon tonight and no picture I take will ever look like the real thing. You ever seen a bright, full moon on a really cloudy night? So it’s not just this white globe in a dark sky; it’s illuminating everything around it and there’s all these soft, glowing, silver wisps cast all across the black and it is gorgeous and I can see it right from my window and I cannot share it. :(

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I have seen that, and it is gorgeous indeed.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

Nights like that really are wonderful. Such things are probably the sole reason I want to get one of those proper cameras when I make it big as a rockstar and become rich and famous beyond my wildest dreams. I swear, you’re not really even taking pictures if your camera was cheaper than $500.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

Oh yes, and when the moon is just rising at sunset. Here, it’ll come up just over the mountains and look so close and lovely, but you can’t take a picture because it’s just a visual illusion and the camera is not fooled. Poor camera.

• CommentAuthorSen

Our living room windows face west, so every afternoon we get this soft light coming in. Same thing with our old house. Both the living room and the study faced west. Reading books on an afternoon like that, just as the sun is setting, is just wonderful :)

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2012

I watched my first multicrossover AMV mere moments ago.

I need not tell you it is awesome and epitomizes my youth.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012 edited

Team iLuminate is awesome. Wish they won :(
    And I wish I could have seen their performances sooner.

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012

I had to explain how a computer works—and I sounded authoritative! Learning computer architecture was a good thing indeed!

We would expect nothing less from a Code Wizard.

As for my awesome thing, I have followed suit and gone all poetical.

I came home last night. After being steeped in city and grey concrete and grey buildings and people dressed up as giant tooth mascots and 70 zones in suburbia and weird specialty shops and altogether too much green, I stepped off a crowded plane onto an otherwise-deserted stretch of tarmac. It was night-time, and everything was orange-lit. There was no sound other than the plane cooling down and our footsteps and luggage wheels rolling along the bitumen. No screaming planes, no high-speed trucks roaring around the side road, no loudspeakers or constant paging echoing from the building. The air was warm and thick as it always is, and unusually humid. It tasted like dust and rain and heat.

I walked into an airport with one gate and two baggage carousels, where you don’t have to pay for parking. Where you can see clear across from one end to the other even at its fullest. It was still decorated with tinsel, even though Christmas was three weeks ago. Looking at it, you got the impression that the airports of bigger cities wouldn’t even bother with tinsel—it’d be a nightmare to decorate the place and then take it down after only one week.

The person meeting me was late, but I was happy tosimply sit down at one of the four tables in front of the sole, tiny cafe, wait for my luggage, and bask in the glow of just being home.

I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012

I know the feeling, Steph. After a long trip, you don’t care what you’ve got to deal with in the morning or what problems you still have or what’s broken or missing, you’re home, and that’s all that matters.

More awesomeness.

A little bit of swearing though.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012 edited

Cocoa is so amazing! I ought to switch back to tea soon because of the queasiness. Yeah, three cups of that chocolatey goodness in a row isn’t a good idea. But it’s okay! Cause it’s so amazing! :D

And I should get some more of that lovely jasmine tea…

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012 edited

Okay, this totally made my day yesterday, and I’m still a little giddy over it.

So yesterday, the Feds seized and shut down megaupload. Totaled the place, arrested four of the operators, it’s gone.

Here’s the cool part. Anonymous got pissed off about it. They swore revenge, went on this enormous dramatic campaign.

Here’s the great part. They mounted the largest ddos attack in their history (5600 users at last count). They shut down RIAA, MPAA, DoJ and the FBI website. SHUT DOWN. And they’re not done.

I was like cheering and jumping up and down. Sure, the sites are back up, but it’s like a grizzly bear being attacked by squirrels, and the squirrels winning. Whatever you can say against Anonymous, and there’s a lot you could say, those guys have balls.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012

Did Anonymous really do that? Hooolly cow, balls does not even begin to describe what they’re lugging. That’s incredible…I mean…damn…

It doesn’t really accomplish a whole hell of a lot, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I was pumped for hours. Fucking awesome.

Honestly, though, it’s just a gesture. I would love to see Anon’s deeper, darker end start pulling in some favors in Europe and Asia, really flexing their muscles, but odds are their terminally ADD nature is going to kick in again.

Hate to burst your bubble, Inkblot, but…

Edit: just saw you mention that it was a gesture. My mistake.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Nah. I know it’s just flipping the bird, but useless defiance has always appealed to me. Better to go down fighting than be herded.

I agree. BURN THEM. BURN THEM ALL.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

It has some minor value as a propaganda victory. It caused a brief news stir and spread a lot of negative publicity about SOPA and PIPA, and there are senators backing out of it, and it’s a reminder to everyone concerned that the Internet is a much fairer playing field than RL. Anon’s gone quiet again, but last night I really was hoping they had something bigger and more lasting in the works. Oh well.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Gotta admit, I hope Anon is planning something more impressive. But I am deeply appreciative of them flipping off the RIAA and MPAA. Teehee.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012

It is deeply amusing, but on the other side, some people have been pointing out that a day after a peaceful protest, you have Anonymous running amok. Doesn’t exactly give the best image to “internet people”. Anonymous, sweetie, I agree with you in principle, but your methods do leave something to be desired on occasion…

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2012

I have not had coffee in over six months for reasons. But I’m going to break that little rule today. And it will be awesome. It will be.

Free weights. Gains, I have made them.
    • CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012 edited

Getting to make jokes about STDs and transsexual hookers (they can give you things like this if you don’t sleeve your deck) with my manchild friends after a month or so of missing Friday Night Nerdcards.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2012

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012 edited

Hehe, that is a great picture!!!

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2012 edited

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2012

This guy

“The Squirrel”. Lol.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2012

Iron Brew.

Me loves it. <3

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2012 edited

Blue Milk Special. A nicely-drawn parody of the Star Wars Original Trilogy. pretty much scene-by-scene, with some good humour.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2012

Hah, that’s great.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Brace yourself, foo’!

Ahaha, that’s hilarious.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

The Tekdiff podcast. If you’re not listening to it already, you should be.

Here’s a perfect example of why.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

A steampunk vampire novel has the potential to be awesome, although it likely wouldn’t be.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Things I think are awesome today? The Legend of Korra. I am so happy and in love with this show right now.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Isn’t it awesome?!

Hill wrote this entry on her blog and it is awesome!

http://americankate.blogspot.com/2012/03/long-winded-epistle-to-one-and-only.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

That is indeed awesome.

TITIAT: Rain. Dark, cold, driving rain. I luvs it. <3

bq. TITIAT: Rain. Dark, cold, driving rain. I luvs it. <3

You have just scored much points, my good sir.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012

So I’ve only ever heard one song by Flogging Molly and it was a ballad.

I just discovered yes, they are actually a punk band.

<3 <3 <3

•  
      CommentAuthorClibanarius
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012 edited

This is what ITIAT, It's totally vulgar and classless, but I love it:

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

...Is it safe to look under the show button? Or would I be scarred for life or anything?

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Nah. It’s just silly 12-year-old humor.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Oh—

Okay, so I thought it was funny.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I have to admit I did too.

bq. Nah. It’s just silly 12-year-old humor.

Okay, vulgar, classless and immature.

bq. I have to admit I did too.

I think it's the expression on the girl's face that makes it funny
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

It’s not that it wasn’t funny. It was; I just enjoyed it against my inclination rather than with. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Aww, that’s the sweetest thing.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

9gag… Ewww.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012

What kind of car?

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

But what did Charlie mean when he said “cheap?”

Oh wait.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012 edited

I was just wondering if it was an American car.

And hey, don’t get me wrong. That’s not the kind of thing I would buy, given a choice, but I drive a crappy mid-90s beater that currently doesn’t start. I’m in no position to judge.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

A car’s a car. If it’s in decent condition and gets better than ten miles to the gallon, I’m happy for you! Otherwise, it may be more trouble than it’s worth. :P

Maybe I’m just behind the times(how embarrassing), but these Intelligent software assistants look like they are going to be amazing. 0.0 An AI that customizes itself? I want one that sounds like GLaDOS.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012

That is not— That is not me.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012

Just watched the part of Avatar where Iroh is

Freakin’ rock opera is awesome today and all other days.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012

@Inkblot – isn’t he JUST?

In other, incredibly random news, my dad just bought a minibike. It’s a little old thing (probably from the early 70s) and so much fun. We were out jogging and he happened to see it for pretty cheap, so he went back and bought it once we were done.

doing one-armed pullups in jail OH MY GAWD THAT MAN IS SUCH A BADASS

I want Iroh to be my uncle. :(

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2012

One thing I think is awesome is ImpishIdea. I don’t express my appreciation for you guys enough.

Hugs all around!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2012 edited

II is awesome. I don’t know what I’d do without all you guys. :D

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2012

This poem:

Tea with honey! Oh, what a balm it is to my poor throat :)

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012

The fact that this and this were posted around the same time. I’m not sure if it’s serendipity or not, but it’s amusing either way.

I was wearing my Kermit hat and a complete stranger left me this note

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012 edited

WANT

SO MUCH WANT

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012

^ Wow! Where does one acquire such a work of pure awesome?

I assume a lot of money.

The Avengers. I am so obsessing over this movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2012

This is the best song parody EVER.

I dare you to sing it. SING IT!

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I just did. Is that impressive, or depressing? I’m not sure…

And speaking as a former history major, that’s pretty accurate.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

The CS major one is accurate too. About 95% of debugging time will be spent looking for where you typed something wrong—or even more insidious, where you typed something wrong but it still works, just badly.

And for the record, while I knew of the song before I played Mass Effect 2, Mordin singing “I am the Very Model of a Scientist Salarian” will forever be what I think of when I hear about that song.

Sung it! Now I’ll have that in my head all day. Pure awesomeness. Now if only it mentioned Classics…

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Watched all of Eden of the East on Youtube.

If the word “conspiracy” arouses any kind of interest in you at all go watch it right now. It’s fantastic.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Ah, thanks for linking. My bad.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Looks interesting. I’ll have to check it out when I have time.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2012

This is the best song parody EVER.

Yes, yes it is. :) And it’s so freakin’ true, too.

I dare you to sing it. SING IT!

I did. But whenever I try to sing that without the song playing, I always end up going off into Please Hello from Stephen Sondheim’s Pacific Overtures, ‘cause it has a very similar tune (it was a Gilbert and Sullivan Parody in some places), and I’m more familiar with that.

I’ve been listening to the Major General’s Song nonstop since yesterday, though.

I saw the comic and was humming it because of that. Then Inkblot brought up Gilbert and Sullivan and I bought the entire opera on CD and now it’s stuck in my head for good.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2012

Music. It’s already awesome, but it’s especially awesome today. See the Music thread and the Small Victories thread (in that order) for an explanation of why music is especially awesome today, and will forever be awesome. :D

Friends are awesome, especially when they make time for you to cry on their shoulder or to listen to you whine about how stressed you are even when they’re feeling the same :)

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2012

Im done with High School...Awesome!

There's an M14 sitting on my desk at home, nothing gets awesomer than that
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2012

As in the rifle? That is pretty awesome.

M-14 or M1A?