Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

That’s a really interesting quote. I’ve wanted to see Breaking Bad for a while now. It seems like a very intelligent show.

It’d be well worth your time. It’s about the only drama I’ve seen that I’d even mention in conversation with The Wire, although they’re really apples and oranges. You can learn a ton about good storytelling from examining it, plus it’s tremendously entertaining on top of that.

If you do watch it, just make sure your jaw isn’t above something you care about, lest it be crushed.

•  
      CommentAuthorlookingforme
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2011 edited

Around this time of year, the leaves start to change color where I live. Those leaves, the sudden chill in the air, really make me feel alive. There’s something about the promise of death in the fall, and the memory of resurrection in the spring to come, that calls to me. Around this time of year, I start to feel this warm, sweet sense of regret and loss. I remember all these good times I’ve had, I mourn over people I’ve known who’ve left my life for good in one way or another, try to come to grips with my messed-up past. I am forcefully reminded that in time all things, good or bad, must pass away.

I know you posted this a while ago, Inkblot, but this is my awesome thing for today. I feel the exact same way about fall; every time I see a leaf float by, I can’t help smiling, but it’s not all happiness. Part of it is just how beautiful everything is this time of year; but I feel a little ache as well, as I remember that pretty soon, all the trees will be bare.

I also liked what you said about things passing away…this semester is going pretty rough on me. I feel like I’m bombarded by work and I don’t always know how best to deal with it. My grades are also not turning out as nicely as I am used to them being, which has definitely added to my stress levels. But I can’t believe the semester is halfway over already, and before I know it, it’ll be time to head home for winter vacation. And in the meantime, I should try to enjoy the leaves.

So thanks for giving me perspective…I really needed it today.

This comment post, about what a Breaking Bad movie should look like:

Don’t be ridiculous. After the next season, Walt and Jessie would become the undisputed drug lords of North America. Walt would then have to systematically kill all the other world king pins( wearing the hat of course) and at the end of season 6, Walt would become the world’s first King of the Drug.

Now the movie would take place 5 years after the show’s end. Walt found some magical cancer cure in his blue crystal. While Walt is chilling in his mansion (the profits he laundered through his international Mcdonald-esque car wash franchise) Aliens then land on planet Earth. The aliens are completely harmless. They look like purple 8 feet tall asians with tails.

The aliens came to earth to do commerce and get to know the plant Earth. After a while, the aliens start selling these purple pills,SSH, that get you really high. (SUPER SPACE HIGH, as the kids call it) Walter, or should I say Heinsberg, has had enough of this.

Walt,being one of the most influential men in the world, invites the prime minister of the alien race to his house. When the alien leader arrives, Walt tell him to have a seat, and he does, and Walt has a seat in front of him. Walt tells him, kindly as he can, that he and his people should go back to the BLEEP-BLORP galaxy as soon as they can and not look back. The Alien says that he could not do that. Walt then reaches behind his back and puts on his pork pie hat. Walt scowls at the alien, “ Stay out of my territory!” The alien looks shocked and just as the alien was about to come out at Walt. Walter, while still sitting , cross drawls his gun and shoot the alien right in the face.

Because he killed their leader, Walt then becomes king of the alien people, cause that’s just how their system works. The movie ends with Walt staring at one of the alien’s warp ships then looking up at the night sky and just smiling.

Jessie was playing Rage 3 all this time.

The only word that comes to mind is “masterpiece.”

They look like purple 8 feet tall asians with tails.

snigger

Jessie was playing Rage 3 all this time.

Sounds about right. Except they used the girl spelling of his name.

Except they used the girl spelling of his name.

The entire post would’ve fallen apart if his name had been spelled correctly, I think.

At the moment, this is awesome to me.

Aww, young love…

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2011

WTF

I demand an explanation.

Just found this picture. Thought it was cool, and wanted to share it with you guys.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2011

...Hmm. Technically that is an explanation. Although I would like to know who those people are, why their heads have been taken off, and why they appear to be in a glass case.

Life is awesome today :D :D The sun is up, I am almost done with one of my majorly big assignments, I’m having lunch with a friend, and I am going home for the whole weekend :D

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2011

Sansa, that’s not Community, is it?

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

SLYSHY. I was randomly digging through old threads, and found one that had Slyshy’s name in the title so I was like, okay. And then I clicked and then it was an intro and then it said he was 16 and doing a double major in math and computer science. So I checked the date it was posted and it was 2009. WHAT.

Have you ever been so angry that you started swinging a cactus burning curtain?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Man, Pierce is really working those abs.

Home. Just home <3

Sansa, that’s not Community, is it?

Well it’s not The Wire or Breaking Bad…

Merlin tomorrow. That is all.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011

I occasionally get in a mood when I just really want to break something for no particular reason, and listen to the loudest and noisiest “music” I can find until the urge passes. I just found As I Lay Dying again and am trying to remember how to play Through Struggle. So yeah, that song’s pretty awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011

Rewatched This Is Spinal Tap and just about cracked a rib laughing.

This… is Stone ‘enge.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011

Riverdance. Their speed defies logic.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011

You guys should check this out. This guy and I basically came up with the same setting separately.

With animation and music he very skilfully evokes a complete world, which is a pretty cool one to boot.

Brief strong language.

linky

ICE CREAM SANDWICHES!!!!! AND BIRTHDAY CAKE!!!!! AND COOKIES!!!!!!!!

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2011

Frederick the Great – A Most Lementable Comedy Breaching Time and Space.

This comic is awesome. Need proof? The first comic has a piratte fighting a conquistador. While riding dinosaurs.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011

Write or Die is just amazing. I mean, I was a little dubious at first that it would help, but holy cow, it does. I’d fallen just over 4,000 words behind with NaNo by Sunday, and so I just sat down with two 2,000 word sessions with Write or Die, and BAM, caught up in only about an three hours worth of work, total. God, I love that thing.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011

I love Write or Die so much. I set it on the highest settings and just write, and I can get huge amounts done so quickly. It’s not necessarily the best writing, obviously, but who cares, you get it done!

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011

Thanks for mentioning Write or Die, Beldam! I’ve kept going back to it but never actually using it until your comment, and yay I wrote words! XD I’m so behind on NaNo, but this might just get me going.

And, no the quality is terrible, but I’m really stuggling with the story (in some ways I almost hate it) so words down however is even more helpful than usual.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

Words are words! I’ve been thinking, if a writer doesn’t like their plot/characters in the beginning, in order to keep the story rolling maybe everyone should just get accidentally killed in a massive explosion and then the new, awesome guys come in XD Whether everyone survives your story or not, though, just hang in there! You can do it!

Swenson, considering you’re keeping so steady with your NaNo, I can’t even place my emotions in regards to you using write or die. You either use it wildly efficiently, or you just have ironclad work ethic. Either way, I aspire to you!

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Beldam, this is an actual NaNo plot strategy, sadly.

It’s not necessarily the best writing, obviously, but who cares, you get it done!

And thus another Stephenie Meyer was born.

I’m so behind on my NaNo. Only 5000 words. I need to break out Write or Die.

Speaking of Irish people…. ELECTRIC DUELING VIOLINS. o.O

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011 edited

I also have been doing some word sprints (from @NaNoWordSprints on Twitter) this evening. Truth be told, though, it’s because I’m procrastinating from doing my homework. But yeah, they got me to do my entire day’s goal in a few hours, so I’m happy!

EDIT: WHY IS THAT VIDEO OF DUELING VIOLINS NOT LONGER?!

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011

And thus another Stephenie Meyer was born.

D’aww, but I would never publish! XD (couldn’t help it, the very idea)

Oh my gosh I love that link so much I cannot say! It should definitely be longer.

And I’m now following @NaNoWordSprints.

Why yes, that is Adrian Peterson holding a Magic EDH box.

whoever that is, and whatever he’s holding, he’s cute.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011

• CommentAuthorNo One

\

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Google, by the way, informs me that this person is some football-related dude. A running back for the Minnesota Vikings, assuming it’s the same Adrian Peterson.

A running back for the Minnesota Vikings, assuming it’s the same Adrian Peterson.

The very same. He’s arguably the best running back of this generation, and an exemplar of Texas high school football.

Just to make you rage, sansa…

Am I supposed to be raging because you don’t know how he is(or what he’s holding), or that you think he’s cute?

Am I supposed to be raging because you don’t know how he is(or what he’s holding), or that you think he’s cute?

The idea is that you’re meant to be raging because we don’t care who he is or what he’s holding, and we still sort of like him because he’s cute.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011 edited

Oh, well, I didn’t really expect you Aussies to know him, because y’all might as well live on the moon. I don’t mind that you think he’s cute, either. Better a legitimate badass than the various creepyfaced British actors that make up the usual female droolbait hereabouts.

I can pretend-rage if it makes you happy, though.

Better a legitimate badass than the various creepyfaced British actors that make up the usual female droolbait hereabouts.

whistles I have no idea what you’re talking about… Stop calling Robert Pattinson creepy! I mean it! Although in all seriousness, I hope you’re not dissing the Doctor.

I can pretend-rage if it makes you happy, though.

That’s always fun.

This article. Not sure if it’s worthy of its own thread, but I knew that I had to post it here when I saw it.

I read that first cartoon and nearly spit my coffee everywhere. Kind of how I feel sometimes, if my thoughts were even more extreme…

Although in all seriousness, I hope you’re not dissing the Doctor.

I have no idea if I am or not, since I’ve never watched the show. I just know I’ve seen pictures of Brits with creepyfaces that have probably never rushed for more than a hundred yards in their lives, followed by drooling.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

I started a new blog. Yes, I’m shamelessly shilling it. But I’m going to try to write daily, so I’m pleased about that.

Not sure if it’s worthy of its own thread, but I knew that I had to post it here when I saw it.

You did the right thing, Dan.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

Congratulations, Willow! I love the title, and good luck!

Better a legitimate badass than the various creepyfaced British actors that make up the usual female droolbait hereabouts.

Will it be a problem that I have a thing for Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch (not least because of his name)?

• CommentAuthorNo One

Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch

instantly thinks of food

You like eating Sherlock, don’t you?

Will it be a problem that I have a thing for Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch (not least because of his name)?

Only if he’s creepyfaced. I have no idea who he is, otherwise.

Thing that is awesome: My cousin’s almost done with his first rewatch of The Wire, and he told me to go rewatch a specific scene in Season 5, Episode 4 where McNulty and Lester talk to a homeless guy as part of their fake serial killer bullshit. Turns out the homeless guy who directs them to the homeless guy they’re looking for is one of the dockworkers from Season 2.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

Oooh! I have one! Martin Freeman!

And Willow, I’m subscribing!

He didn’t notice that one of the cops is Gordon from Sesame Street?

...SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIT.

LOL

I wish Sesame Street could’ve done a Wire parody when it was on. Just imagine an Omar muppet duking it out with Chris and Snoop muppets about who can get the letter “G”.

My head would explode if they ever did that. Also, Muppet Clay Davis, because the mental image alone made me laugh out loud, even before I imagined him doing things.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011

Willow, can I just say that your name is one of only two that belongs to a real person and I intend to use one day for a character? Right up there was Isabelle Specter.

She has a pretty awesome name doesn’t she?

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Lol, thanks guys. I’m not sure if this makes it better, or worse, but my middle name is Merrill.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Better. Definitely better.

Yeah, that is an awesome name.

Tom Felton doesn’t count as “creepyfaced”, does he?
    I know Alan Rickman and Liam Neeson definitely don’t.

Tom Felton doesn’t count as “creepyfaced”, does he?

Not really, but I also can’t recall anybody posting pictures of him.

I know Alan Rickman and Liam Neeson definitely don’t.

Obviously.

Not really, but I also can’t recall anybody posting pictures of him.

It’s just a matter of time…

You want creepy British faces? You got ‘em.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

looks at above pictures. Clears throat.

In other news, something I deem to be awesome happened today. I went to a friend’s party, and an acquintance of mine was there, a relatively short guy called Sunny. Anyway, I didn’t talk to him for most of the night, but at one point a bunch of people who were standing by the staircase across from the sliding door were like, ‘Sunny are you okay’ and ‘holy cow sunny’ and I was like, ‘what’s this?’ and went to check it out, and lo and behold there’s this huge shattermark in one of the sliding doors and so naturally I demand an explanation. It turns out he was walking towards the sliding doors and tripped on the way, and basically slammed his face into the window. He smashed a window WITH HIS FACE. And all he got was a little BUMP. Besides being completely hilarious, his face has also earned its place as my awesome thing for today.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

Reminds me of a story I read that had a badass character punch the wall, cutting up his knuckles and denting the drywall.

Now, my ‘little’ brother has a thing against walls, and has punched them before. Really, on a fairly regular basis. He can put his fist through drywall on accident (and it’s not like he does weightlifting) and once hit his head against a stud and still dented the wall. I don’t think he even had a bump.

So I rather lost my suspension of disbelief. Remember: whatever it is, if you haven’t done it—make sure you research! ;)

Remember: whatever it is, if you haven’t done it—make sure you research! ;)

Or, you know, just do it, and hang a picture over the mess later.

Steph: Making Nike’s slogan even funnier than it already was, since 2011.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011 edited

Or, you know, just do it, and hang a picture over the mess later.

...Um, that is “research”.

shakes head Oh, you guys… Inkblot’s right, and I’m not even going to touch Klutor’s.

I’m not even going to touch Klutor’s.

Um… okay?

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2011

I’m really confused about what’s going on in this thread right now.

Awesome thing: My mum. I had a blood test done yesterday, and today I have a rather long and spectacular bruise on the inside of my elbow. I showed it to Mum today, and she said, “Been shooting up again, Steph?”

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011

Ohhh. Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. Also, your mom’s a badass. Wish my parents had a sense of humor that could possibly permit a joke like that.

Did anyone know there’s a place in Michigan called Hell? I got a crack out of reading the Wikipedia article, littered with lines like “Hell is situated 3 miles (4.8 km) southwest of Pinckney via Patterson Lake Road.” It felt like i was ready the Uncyclopedia.

I just giggled myself awake.
    Which is no mean feat, what with my broken circadian rhythm and all.

My mum? Would never have said that three years ago. I’ve been doing a lot of time breaking my parents in for my sisters and brother.

Wish my parents had a sense of humor that could possibly permit a joke like that.

Seconded.
    I must concede, however, that they are funnier and more chilled-out than that dumbass girl that my brother tried to chat up on FB the other day.
    Grrr. Still not over that.

breaking my parents in for my sisters and brother

I’m smelling the smell that smells like disaster. Am I right?

....? Ah, no….? Because it’s worked…? Hence the not-so-subtle reference to me shooting up cocaine…?

That makes sense.
    Also, I’m deriving cheap entertainment from your abuse of the ellipses and question mark. ;-)

:D That is how it works, my friend.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I’ve been doing a lot of time breaking my parents in for my sisters and brother.

It’s because of valiant people like you (i.e. my five elder siblings) that I’m the person I am today (or rather, that my parents are the people they are today – about five times as laid back about parenting as they were 20 years ago). Thank you.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I read the …? as the infamous Valley Girl Question Sentence. Which is, like, amusing in its own right, and stuff?

There is a place in Michigan called Hell

I did know this, and yeah, it’s pretty funny. One wonders exactly which disgruntled member(s) of the original town council voted for that name. Probably right after Prohibition, when they were particularly grumpy.

See, when I said “research” I meant when you’re sitting doing something perfectly normal (okay, plus-or-minus a few hundred thousand) and suddenly you think “Is it possible to deflect a hurtling RPG round with a gentle nudge from the flat edge of an ancient, mystical samurai sword? Does the result change if the sword is wielded by a tiny, wizened old man with a funny accent who is really the greatest Xiaolin monk in history?”

Then you hang a picture over the hole blown in the side of your house before your mum gets home.

You’re welcome, Spanman.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

Are they sure Meggido will be the site of armeggedon? I mean, are they really sure? Because Michigan is looking way better in that regard.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Meggido’s probably a trailer park in Michigan anyway.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Waitwaitwait… Armourer, you’re from Michigan too? Awesome!

Anyway, yeah, we’ve got both Hell and Paradise. I’ve been to Paradise (it’s… not overly large, to say the least), but never to Hell yet.

Some guy called Milton wandered into Michigan and you guys let him name all your towns, right?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

You do have to wonder some times.

I think I mentioned some of our awesome town names on here before, but we’ve also got a bunch of unpronounceable French/Indian ones (Sault Ste. Marie tends to trip up outsiders in amusing ways, as does Ypsilanti) and then just some random ones, like Bad Axe. Easily mispronounced for hours of childish fun!

Bad Axe

I WISH I LIVED HERE.

Some guy called Milton wandered into Michigan and you guys let him name all your towns, right?

I love how you worded this.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@Steph – no, you don’t. It’s in the middle of absolutely nowhere. Second-largest city in the Thumb, and it’s only got 3400 people in it. I mean, I grew up in a town of 1400, but at least we had a highway and other cities within a half-hour driving distance…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2011

Bumping for awesome!

So if you’ve never heard about Desert Bus for Hope, you’re going to hear about it now. Desert Bus is the most boring game ever invented. It is literally a real-time simulator of the drive from Tucson to Las Vegas. And back again once you get there. So the guys (and gals) from the Internet sketch comedy group Loading Ready Run play it every November to raise money for the Child’s Play charity. Basically, they keep playing until people stop donating; this year, they’re about 3 hours in so far and enough money has been donated for them to keep going for 106 hours! And along the way they have cool guests (like Shamus Young will be on tomorrow afternoon and Yahtzee will be in on Sunday), auctions (both live auctions and silent ones), challenges for the crew to do while busing (you donate a set amount and they’ll do something, like sing a song for you or, in what is becoming a recurring theme, send one of their members to go see the latest Twillight movie… we’ve already donated enough for that one!), and giveaways if you donate during a certain time period.

Basically, it’s tons of fun, addictive to watch (because they bus 24/7), and it’s for a really good cause, so even if you don’t donate, you should still watch. It’s all here.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

And speaking of weird town names, you haven’t lived until you’ve tried to backpack through central Australia. Areyonga, Boroondara, Coonabarabran, Dumbleyung, Echuca, Grong Grong, Indooroopilly, Jerramungup, Koo Wee Rup, Maribyrnong, Narrandera, Ongerup, Pormpuraaw, Queanbeyan, Ramingining, Toongabbie, Unanderra, Weetangera, and Yackandandah are all real places. I’ve been to a few of them.

Don’t forget the ever-popular Woop Woop.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

True, although I think Yarragon may have the best bakery in the country. We used to pass through for lunch on the way to Cowwarr.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Quad bikes. And awesome, very patient cats being patient with a talented, but rough (in handling) 6-years-old ballet dancer.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011

Yu-gi-oh!! And by extension, Dan Green. And by further extension, the Abridged Series, for causing me to seek out original episodes to watch and to relive my wonderful childhood. Nostalgia is the best—and pharoahs. They’re great.