Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2011

Is there anything that today, you just thought was really kind of great, perhaps for no apparent reason? Well, just shuck it in here.

Today I think that Irish names are just awesome. Eavan, Beolagh, Gormlaith, Caoilfhinn: I can’t pronounce you, but you are all so great.

Breaking Bad.

Irish names

They’re overrated.

I have to disagree. Sansa, I think your real name is one of the awesomest I’ve heard. :)

.... what’s his real name?

And the newest Breaking Bad was just wow.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011

This thread is awesome.

This dude whose post on Best of CL I was just reading, who operates friggin’ freight trains for a living, was awesome.

Seether makes music somehow more awesome than I originally thought it was.

My computer’s backlit keyboard is awesome. No more awkward breaks from touch-typing to hunt for a key I missed.

Thing I think is awesome:

I JUST GOT A TEXT. FROM JENI. JENI. WHO LIVES IN ENGLAND. AND SHE SENT A TEXT TO ME. ACROSS THE WORLD.

/capsabuse

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Technology is so awesome! /)^3^(\

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

OKAY THAT IS VERY COOL, STEPH!

I think apple pie is awesome. Also, job interview tomorrow. SQUEE!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Irish names are just awesome.

They’re overrated.

My surname is Irish, but the spelling/pronunciation all has been changed from the original. So yeah.

Anyway, this awesome thing happened today and it came in the form of a care package from my sisters that was stuffed with coloring books (heh…), nice pens, mail from home, candy, and books. It made my week. :D

/)^3^(\

....what is that? A bear cub with angel wings?

OKAY THAT IS VERY COOL, STEPH!

I AGREE WITH LADY WILLOW!!

Awesome thing: pizza.

apple pie

^followed by this.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011

@Klutor –

I think I’ve seen a better ASCII representation of this face, but I couldn’t find it anywhere.

Oh okay.
    Is the new My Little Pony series really as good as its rep seems to claim?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I think it is, and MDC agrees. (at least, I assume so, seeing as that’s how I got into it in the first place!) But your mileage may vary. And, for what it’s worth, I really prefer some of the other episodes to the first two-parter.

^JLA’s starting two-parter wasn’t as good as many later episodes, either.
    So it’s not really indicative.

MDC

Who’s that?

^^Marquis, I think.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

I work as a secretary, but my boss runs the coffee shop. He lets me get coffee as a perk ;) But today, he showed me how to make the espresso and steamed milk…and then set me loose to put it together as I wished! And it’s four shots strong, which should do me nicely. But mostly, I have just always wanted to learn how to make proper fancy coffee drinks XD

I think caffeine is awesome. I was jiggling my foot uncontrollably all day long but on the whole events turned out in my favor.

Is the new My Little Pony series really as good as its rep seems to claim?

It’s worth your time to give it a shot. If you ever watched Powerpuff Girls, you’ll like it.

Oh, and I think The Wire is awesome today.

Okay, every day.

More apple pie. With Northern Spy apples, which are amazing beyond belief. Crisp, tart, perfect. Omnomnom.

Also today I think Eric Decker and Rob Gronkowski are awesome, for making me look like I’m good at fantasy football. The great thing about having your late picks being awesome is that people see those and ignore your early picks underperforming.

Also I played some pickup games with Decker when I was in, I dunno, sixth or seventh grade, and it’s neat to see somebody you’ve encountered do well in the pros… unless it’s Colt McCoy.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011

Gluten-free and diary-free apple and berry crumble. I enjoyed dessicated coconut for the first time in my life, it was so good.

^^Marquis, I think.

Shouldn’t it be MdC, then, instead of MDC?

caffeine is awesome

Yes. Yes, it is.

It’s worth your time to give it a shot. If you ever watched Powerpuff Girls, you’ll like it.

Oh okay. I have in fact watched quite a sizeable number of PPG episodes, but their quality varies: some episodes are genuinely awesome, some are mediocre and some suck horribly.

But mostly, I have just always wanted to learn how to make proper fancy coffee drinks XD

It is one of the best feelings in the world. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011

For some reason I just remembered that the main antagonist of PPG was some kind of monkey. Not too awesome, as it reveals the disturbingly addled and unorganized nature of my memory.

Guitars are awesome. Especially pointy curvy ones built in the ’70s.

some kind of monkey

Mojo Jojo!

And then there was Him, who I found the creepiest:

Just realized how Discord from MLP’s kind of like a fusion of Him and Q from TNG.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2011 edited

Him was definitely creepy. Kind of transvestite-pedophile-psychopath all in one. Those eyes and that voice…

I was always fond of the Gangrene Gang, though.

Him was definitely creepy. Kind of transvestite-pedophile-psychopath all in one.

Don’t judge a book by its coveeeeeeerrrrrrrrr…..
    Sorry – wrong transvestite. ;-)

•  
      CommentAuthorCurly
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2011

Him. He haunts my nightmares. Seriously, I saw that the other day and thought, bloody hell, they’re letting kids watch THIS. Scarred for life? Probably.

Cats. Cats are awesome.

^Creepiness aside, I rather liked the guy.
    He was far more of a real threat than any other villain in the series, and episodes featuring him Him were far darker and more serious than the rest.
    Besides, PPG was originally never intended as a kids’ show anyway.

My awesome thing for today: Sleeping a full eight hours! Yaaaay! Also, new clothes. They are pretty :D

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2011

External hard drives. External hard drives are just amazing. It’s like carrying around my own little video store.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2011

On a similar note, Kindles/Nooks/e-readers. Specifically, the number of free books I can get for mine. I have 18 books on my Kindle, and I only paid for three of them.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011

I find that classic works are free in the kindle store. I have about 27 novels from the 1800-1900 period which were all free.

Awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011 edited

Dubstep and tribal fusion dancing. I love them. *w*
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011

Being homeschooled, Sony headphones and Acer netbooks.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Awesome, man, I’m homeschooled too! Fistbump!

Big Trouble in Little China is just awesome. It just is.

Puppet, you went back to homeschooling?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Being homeschooled

THIS.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Puppet, you went back to homeschooling?

Yeah, went to public school for 3 weeks and decided it was a giant waste of my time.

Well, sorry it didn’t work out, but glad you’re happy and getting a better education!

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Big Trouble in Little China is just awesome. It just is.

Yes. Made more so by the fact that it embraces it’s own cheesiness.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I’ve never seen a sillier or more delightful version of Hollywood Oriental philosophy. In the scene where the bus driver is casting their fortune, you can’t tell whether the whole cast is laughing at Bollywood kung fu movies, if the Asian characters are laughing at Kurt Russell, or if the Asians – in character – are just BSing the truck driver. There’s so many levels of goofiness.

An appropriate symbol of the whole thing’s attitude is the sacrificial altar at the end – which is outlined in garishly cheesy neon lights.

Strawberry banana smoothies, and mothers who are willing to take their daughters out to Panera the day before their midterm, even though they live an hour away <3 <3

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Batgirl #24.

It came out over a month ago, but I’ve been putting off reading it because it’s literally the last thing I had left to read from before DC’s reboot. And it’s the very last issue of Stephanie Brown as Batgirl. And… I think she got a good send-off. So it made me happy.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

@swenson

Sometimes a sad awesome is the best kind.

My neighbour is awesome.
    She had a monstrous hangover when I pulled her out of bed this morning, but she still helped me out with something really important, because she promised she would.

@swenson – I’m a spoiler hound, so I just have to know:

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2011

Some day on Impish, we’ll have a discussion about how we’re all homeschooling our kids, won’t we?

If the kids we homeschool have any chance of turning out like we did, don’t you think it might be an act of mercy to send them off into public education?

Nah, I’m kidding. I never would have said this three years ago, but now that I’ve gotten some real exposure to the school system, I’m seriously considering homeschooling my kids (that is, if I ever end up having any).

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2011

@Klutor

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2011 edited

I tend to think a balanced option sis best. I would send my kids to public school, but then actually sit down with them afterwards and go through what they learned, instead of just trusting the school to do all the work.

I don’t think either option is best in isolation. Basically, in my opinion, the best approach is a bit of both.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2011 edited

I do my schoolwork at home, but I follow the syllabus of an accredited school in another state. I kind of prefer the 60/40 homeschool/public school blend to the 40/60, if only because I have full control over what I learn.

Cave Story was awesome. Holy wow, was it awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2011

I said I was gonna do it and I’m doing it.

BELDAM’S “WHY AREN’T YOU WRITING” ARTICLE IS AWESOME.

AAAAWWWWEEEESSSOOOMMMMEEEE.

The dude himself is like a TOTAL BOSS.

Now I’m logging off to go write feverishly and without pause.

@swenson:

@Inkblot: I think “the dude himself” is actually a girl.
    But I agree with the rest. :-)

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

BELDAM’S “WHY AREN’T YOU WRITING” ARTICLE IS AWESOME.

beambeambeam
    I didn’t think you were really going to do it but you really did! I think that warrants an awesome card for you too, man. But seriously, thank you so much! And though it does not align with my actual gender, there is something strangely flattering about being called ‘the dude himself.’ It sounds genuinley Boss. But again, thank you.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Now, I did check the Gender thread first. But I ultimately had to wing it. It was a 50/50 shot. :P My apologies, madam.

Is there an equally awesome female equivalent? The chick herself …mmm. I dunno. We must research this further. TOTAL BOSS can still apply in its Caps Lock glory.

the dude himself

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I was wondering when the Dude would make his entrance.

The Dude abides.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@Klutor

TOTAL BOSS can still apply in its Caps Lock glory.

Yes. Or possibly Her Royal Awesomeness.

@swenson:

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2011

Her Royal Awesomeness.

Oh shnap, I think we have a winner!

In other news, half days are awesome. Also: getting home before eight o’clock at night. And beds to flop oneself down in when one gets home are also wonderful. ...I love you, home.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Awesome. Now I can finally get some closure.

Her Royal Awesomeness, Beldam, has crafted THE ARTICLE OF ULTIMATE AWESOME MOTIVATIONAL POWER +1, like a TOTAL BOSS, and I encourage anyone who has not done so to read it.

THE ARTICLE OF ULTIMATE AWESOME MOTIVATIONAL POWER +1

Level up, ye scallywags!

...I have no idea where that came from. Honestly.

Also, a random strange yet cute girl gave me an awesome smile an hour ago.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@Klutor

@swenson:

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2011

I’m a pretty melancholy person.

Around this time of year, the leaves start to change color where I live. Those leaves, the sudden chill in the air, really make me feel alive. There’s something about the promise of death in the fall, and the memory of resurrection in the spring to come, that calls to me. Around this time of year, I start to feel this warm, sweet sense of regret and loss. I remember all these good times I’ve had, I mourn over people I’ve known who’ve left my life for good in one way or another, try to come to grips with my messed-up past. I am forcefully reminded that in time all things, good or bad, must pass away.

Like I said, I’m kind of a brooder, and I love that feeling, just being sunk in a rich whirlpool of memories and days I’ve lost forever.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2011

Around this time of year, the leaves start to change color where I live. Those leaves, the sudden chill in the air, really make me feel alive.

THIS.

I always get this fuzzy feeling when I happen upon someone who’s as introspective as I am.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2011

+1

Digital High Five offered

This is awesome today. This, my dear monsieurs and madames.

I’ve seen a better Olde Englishe version (two, actually) when they did it with Joseph Decreux.
    But the limerick-version made my day.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2011 edited

What’s it say about me that the first thing I noteced was that whoever made that confused Old English with Ye Olde Butcherde Englishe ?

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2011 edited

Ha, it was the same with me. When I saw ‘mine’ had been used in front of a consonant, I immediatley raised an eyebrow. Still, ‘verily, tis better than thine’ cracked me up.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2011

Today? This community. You guys rock.

Munching on leftover birthday cake with Def Leppard roaring in the background.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2011 edited

G.K. Chesterton is the greatest author of all time. No one else had the same uncanny insight into the innermost depths of the human soul, the same ability to graze things that no one can really put into words, the same brilliantly dangerous wit.

A relevant quote of his: “A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.”

• CommentAuthorDeborah

• CommentAuthorDeborah

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Christian authors can and should tell stories of Greek and Norse gods, of dragons, giants, goblins, faeries, of witches on broomsticks, of pixies, gnomes, elves and dwarves. These stories are the chains in which defeated Boggarts are paraded in triumph before the Risen Christ.

This is, I think, a remarkably profound observation. Thanks for the link.

[EDIT]: Plus I’ve always thought that Hermoine was very pretty. Bella is mostly pale and apparently suffering from acute physical discomfort.

• CommentAuthorDeborah

Cheesecake is awesome. So are Dexter and Breaking Bad.

Holy shit, Breaking Bad all day long.

“I won.”

GAAAAAAAAAAAAGHLSDHGLOSDGNL:SDNKGSN:DLGKNDSSD

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011 edited

Headline in my news feed:

American who Claimed to be Government of Philippines Ties Up Courts for 50 Years.

... I have no words. Anyone with the stones to pull that off is immediately a Likeable Magnificent Bastard in my book, and I can’t help but cheer for guys like that.

[EDIT]: On reading the article, scratch the Likeable part, but that’s still pretty awesome.

A relevant quote of his: “A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.”

Very true.

Plus I’ve always thought that Hermoine was very pretty. Bella is mostly pale and apparently suffering from acute physical discomfort.

Kristen Stewart is actually very cute IRL.
    She plays Bella exactly as she was written – spazzed-out facial expression and, yes, acute physical discomfort. Because she’s in danger of falling over and breaking in pieces everytime Edward leaves her side for more than thirty seconds.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011

Is she? I honestly wouldn’t know. Maybe I’ll work up the interest to go find out…

I think the actors probably had a lot of fun in those movies. No human being can take those parts seriously. Like The Room sort of thing.

Yeah – she has blue eyes IRL.
    I’ve got nothing against brown-eyed girls, mind you, but when someone is wearing contacts of a different colour than their natural colour, it always ends up looking a little off.

The Room?

True that. Except for Nikki Reed, who plays Rosalie. She said in an interview that the bleach blonde dye didn’t agree with her (she’s a brunette IRL), and it made her hair fall out in clumps.
    Poor girl. I’m more than willing to comfort her. ;-)

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

I think the actors probably had a lot of fun in those movies. No human being can take those parts seriously.

From what I understand, unlike Pattinson, Stewart takes her role VERY seriously. Also, she’s flat in all her roles, not just Bella—I think they just cast her because she already fit the bill, no acting required. Me and a friend of mine watched a horror movie with her in it called ‘the warning’ or something like that. Every scene where she should have been terrified out of her ever-loving mind, her facial expression could be summed up as ‘disgruntled surprise.’ But apparently she’s a very humble person, so at least she doesn’t say she has more than she’s got, which is admirable.

^Um, no.
    She’s far more rounded in Catch That Kid, where she plays a teenaged girl who’s trying to rob a bank to get money for her dad’s operation.

Also, she’s an anti, but you have to look very closely at her interviews to pick that up. She’s not as vocal and snarky as Rpattz. I think this is mainly because she was already kind of famous before Twilight, where he was only known as Cedric Diggory (and now he’s stuck with being Edward forever, which infuriates him to no end). It could also be because she doesn’t want to cause a fuss, since her character is already just pretty much background noise compared to the two male leads – who are the objects of lust for millions of girls and frustrated middle aged women.
    Rpattz just doesn’t give two shits, because he’s that angry about the fact that he’ll always be Edward.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

The Room is a low-budget horror film widely considered to be the worst movie ever made. The plot makes no sense at all, and it slowly becomes obvious that the actors are aware they’ve been dumped in a lousy movie and are just goofing off and overplaying their parts.

Yeah, seriously. Most people are like Bella who? I firmly believe that when people say Team Edward/Team Jacob, it’s not her on the other end of that relationship, if you catch my drift…

I actually really like him. I used to blindly despise the guy since every girl I was interested in went through a swooning-over-Twilight phase, but the actor himself has turned out pretty cool.

Not all hope is lost. Maybe if he got a tan and combed his hair down, he might be reasonably unrecognizable. A dye job may be in order as well.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011 edited

Well, Catch that Kid is pretty old so she’s probably changed a lot since then, but perhaps I’ve just seen all her bad movies, or the ones where her characters happened to be similarly…bored, I guess—possible, since I’ve only seen three or four of her movies where her presence actually bleeped in my brain. After seeing a commercial where she and the woman who plays Victoria (that’s the red-head vampire’s name, right?) basically just said, ‘this movie is awesome, go to it,’ Victoria-actress was quite bright and peppy about it, while Stewart didn’t really seem excited about her own film, which struck me as odd.

But yeah, I feel bad for Pattinson.

EVERYBODY BETRAY ME, I FED UP WITH THIS WARLD

Kristen Stewart is a fine actress in the right roles, but she’s never been accused of having a tremendous range. Check out Adventureland if you’re curious.

actors are aware they’ve been dumped in a lousy movie and are just goofing off and overplaying their parts

Hahaha, reminds me of Eragon. Everyone there chew the scenery to bits… except for Edward Speelers, amusingly, who played the title character. He took it all seriously and (possibly) as result of that (as well as the badness of the movie itself), he’s faded into obscurity where he was supposed to be the Next Big Hot Young Hottie Who Can Totally Act.

if you catch my drift…

Oh ho ho, I do. The subtext in the original novels don’t help at all.

I used to blindly despise the guy

I felt the same way about Daniel Craigg. He and his orange swimshorts and gigantic pecs ruined things for me big time.

Not all hope is lost

Even if he still looks the same, he could knock of the rep by playing a character who is a) not just some romantic lead, b) vastly different from anything he’s ever done before and c) a very complex character.
    Personally I’d like to see him as an absolutely despicable villain – like the late Ledger’s Joker. Or Mr Blonde.
    And no, he can’t get a tan. He’s British, the sun will kill him within minutes. :-P

Victoria-actress was quite bright and peppy about it

Bryce Dallas Howard, right?
    she’s always perky.

while Stewart didn’t really seem excited about her own film

If I were her, I wouldn’t be, either.
    HAHAHA!

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

@ Sansa

Yeah, Adventureland is one of those movies where she seems bored again—watched it the same day as bad horror movie, so there must have been a Stewart marathon or something. However, it seemed appropriate there, so I didn’t notice it—I’ve noticed in movies with that sort of Indy feel (even when they aren’t actually indy) lead ladies have a sort of subdued but effective approach.

I loved Catch That Kid. She had the same sort of mannerisms but was much perkier and had actual facial expressions.

Has anyone seen The Cake Eaters? She completely transforms her movements for that one (kind of had to, since she was playing a girl with a physical disability there). And she did it about six years ago, when she was seventeen. If only she realised that you have to act with your whole body every single time, and that not every character she plays is going to bit her lip and gasp… it’d be better.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011

My drama teacher has this poster taped up in his office that was apparently an ad for an insurance company which he cut out of the newspaper. On it, on one side, is Adolf Hitler, hand extended in the Nazi salute. On the other side is Winston Churchill, with his hand lifted in his customary peace sign. And between them, printed in big, bold letters are the words: Scissors beats paper.

It is the single most epic thing in the world.

I love that sign! I’ve seen it on shirts too :)

Found it:

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I want that shirt SO BAD.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Also, you guys seen the “Historically Hardcore” posters Smithsonian did? When in college I’m gonna chase down the whole set.

http://bostinnovation.com/2011/03/21/fake-smithsonian-ads-historically-hardcore-photos/

EDIT: Seems they’re fake. Shame, that’s good advertising right there.

Vince Gilligan. He’s the showrunner for Breaking Bad, and he’s the subject of the latest 4-part interview on the AV Club with the heads of shows that website likes(I know they’ve done Community and Parks and Rec already) talking through the latest season episode by episode. It’s a great read, though I wouldn’t recommend it for anybody who hasn’t watched the show since it’s bursting with spoilers.

This bit in particular is great, though:

“Mystery is good; confusion is bad. Sometimes, if you squint, they can seem like one and the same, but they’re really not at all. Confusion usually derives from a lack of internal logic. It derives from characters who suddenly stop behaving in recognizable ways. And mystery is just a lack of illumination.”

@ Inkblot: THOSE ARE AWESOME.

“Mystery is good; confusion is bad. Sometimes, if you squint, they can seem like one and the same, but they’re really not at all. Confusion usually derives from a lack of internal logic. It derives from characters who suddenly stop behaving in recognizable ways. And mystery is just a lack of illumination.”

That’s a really interesting quote. I’ve wanted to see Breaking Bad for a while now. It seems like a very intelligent show.