Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2011

I have come to a conclusion while typing my second draft.
    I made a bunch of changes to the storyline to try to make it more original. But this draft is in many ways worse than the last. I am considering going back to the original, after changing only the things that are obvious rip-offs from other sources.
    So my question is: Would you, as a reader, rather have an original but worse written story, or a clichéd but better written story?

It depends on how cliched it is, but I think I’d rather have the better-written one. If I read a really original story that was horribly written (or even just mediocre), I would be really disappointed by the wasted potential. I can’t think of a book off the top of my head that I thought was extremely original by poorly executed, but I’ve seen a few movies like this, and all I could think was how it would have been so much better “if.” Instead of enjoying the story for what it was, I agonize over how it could have been better. If something is really well-written, then even a not-so-original story could be really good, so long as there is some sort of twist on whatever ideas you are working from.

In your case specifically, I would ask why your more original story is worse written. Could that be fixed? Or is it something to do with the changes you made that have made the story more poorly written? If you can make a better written and more original story, that would obviously be ideal, but I would go with quality over originality unless/until you can write the original story better.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2011

Well, they do say that nothing is original, so it depends. Make sure first that everything ‘original’ is arising from either the characters or the previous situation. Definitely better to have better-written, simply because then I will enjoy it despite whatever is not original (but I’m a fairly demanding audience when it comes to mechanics).

In your case specifically, I would ask why your more original story is worse written.

Seconded. If you strictly went with ‘original’ before ‘makes sense’, that might be the underlying issue. But you also said ‘obvious rip-offs’ which…aren’t good, especially if it’s recognizable to the general reader and not just you as an author. Maybe the problem with the rewritten ‘original’ draft is that there’s a missing step between what happens in the original sense from the situation before that? This is hard to talk about without having a specific example. But say the original draft has Situation A, and what follows is Result A, and in the rewrite you have Situation A with Result B. But because Result B is original, the reader can’t draw from the ‘rip-off’ logic that made Result A logical for the situation. If that’s the case, there might be more significant underlying issues than just originality. So I would investigate the logic of how the characters/plot starts with the Situation and arrives at the Result and if that logic is consistent.

Did that make any sense at all?

So my question is: Would you, as a reader, rather have an original but worse written story, or a clichéd but better written story?

Honestly, both are wall-bangers for me.

I third everyone who wants to know how and why your originalness is worse-written. Is it too preachy? Too nonsensical? Your heart’s not in it, so everything feels like it’s falling flat?

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2011

As far as the original question goes, well-written cliches (see: Eddings) are the preferable of the two by far.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I view ‘quality’ as a balance of good writing and original ideas. A well-written cliche is all well and good, but a well written original work is even better. That being said, a poorly written original work will always be inferior to a well-written cliche, as Leliel said.

I third everyone who wants to know how and why your originalness is worse-written. Is it too preachy? Too nonsensical? Your heart’s not in it, so everything feels like it’s falling flat?

Or maybe you’ve been trying too hard to be original, by sacrificing interesting characters and rational plot developments?

• CommentAuthorDeborah

I just wasn’t as interested in this version. It doesn’t make as much sense. It also stretches things out and is really boring. There’s not as much tension, and my heart’s not really in it. I was trying so hard to be original that everything kind of falls flat.
    And the rip-offs are staying out of it, even if I liked them. The beginning is completely re-written, because that was the worst part as far as stealing ideas from other people went. The protagonist’s motivation for joining the war is also probably going to stay as it is now, because I don’t really want the whole ‘Rebellious Princess’ thing. Though I kind of liked it, as it gave more conflict to the story, instead of everything dragging along like a tired horse.
    I guess the clichéd story was the one I really cared about. And there are some original ideas in it.
    There was a quote somewhere that said something like: You can’t get originality by trying for it. You have to tell the truth in your story, as it comes to you, as best you can, and the originality will come on it’s own. I’m not sure whether I believe that, but I know what story I loved.

As far as I’m concerned, the telling takes precedence over the story. I can’t appreciate a story’s originality if its execution annoys me.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2011 edited

Then tell the story you love.

It’s pretty obvious if a writer doesn’t put their heart into their work. Compare the different books in Inheritance: you can just feel the enthusiasm radiating from Eragon, but it begins dying out in Eldest, and by the time we get to Brisingr…

“Original” ideas can come across as hackneyed and/or half-assed if the writing is poor. It’s far more entertaining to read a story that the author enjoyed writing than one they forced themselves to write to make “more X”.

•  
      CommentAuthorYorkshire
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2011 edited

You have to tell the truth in your story, as it comes to you, as best you can, and the originality will come on it’s own.

That’s exactly what you have to remember. Think about this, maybe: despite the cliches in your novel, do the internal thoughts of the characters, or perhaps even their actions, dig into a deeper truth about that cliche that you’ve never seen illuminated in another book before? It’s easy to start freaking out about if your setting is believable enough (especially if you’re writing fantasy), if people will like your characters, if the plot twists are surprising enough, etc., but at the end, what really matters is the feelings that go along with the story and how truthful you are being about yourself and about your characters. The characters and feelings are what the audience is going to remember. I’m not saying you should disregard everything else, but prioritize the truth about the story you’re trying to tell. Cliches exist for a reason. Sometimes a story won’t work without a particular one. In fact, sometimes a story feels more forced if you go out of your way to extract the cliche. Just do whatever comes naturally and you will have a story that is true to what you aimed for.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

I'd have to go with well-written. I think it was Brandon Sanderson who said ideas are cheap- anyone can come up with ideas, it's the execution of the ideas that's the hard part.

I also think that if you're striving to tell a good, well-written story, originality will result. Because sometimes the cliches won't make sense or sometimes new ideas will spring up and you'll find different directions to push the same ideas. I suppose it also depends on how obvious said rip-offs are. If there's a Dodo Saggins running off with Ram Samgee with the Stone of Power... (but I would argue that that sort of blatant rip-off is impossible to be well-written because it tries too hard to follow the source.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2011

It’s pretty obvious if a writer doesn’t put their heart into their work. Compare the different books in Inheritance: you can just feel the enthusiasm radiating from Eragon, but it begins dying out in Eldest, and by the time we get to Brisingr…

“Original” ideas can come across as hackneyed and/or half-assed if the writing is poor. It’s far more entertaining to read a story that the author enjoyed writing than one they forced themselves to write to make “more X”.

I confess that the story I’ve just outlined and started working on has a rather stereotypical “heroine defends kingdom from foreign invaders” plot. However, those are the kind of stories I enjoy, and I do have more character development planned for my heroine than I would expect from an incompetently told story. Therefore, I’m not going to give up on it.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2011 edited

There was a quote somewhere that said something like: You can’t get originality by trying for it. You have to tell the truth in your story, as it comes to you, as best you can, and the originality will come on it’s own. I’m not sure whether I believe that, but I know what story I loved.

I like that quote. I believe my main story is pretty original (though it’s probably not) and I don’t think I tried really hard to make it so. There may have been times where I thought “well I hate the overuse of the ‘chosen one’ trope so I am going to try to subvert it” but it came naturally into my story and works for it. I’ve also tried to subvert plot coupons. My main characters are an unusual race. I strayed far away from making my main character an orphan. He is royalty but he does know it so I don’t have the trope of the main character discovering he is royalty. I am trying to make it not a coming of age story by making the MC 18-20 but it probably still is kinda a coming of age thing. I made him a very competent fighter to begin with. The ending of the first book is bitter sweet. So yeah I think I’ve done a pretty good job without trying too hard to avoid being unoriginal. Now to actually write the thing more…

•  
      CommentAuthorYorkshire
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2011 edited

I am trying to make it not a coming of age story by making the MC 18-20 but it probably still is kinda a coming of age thing.

Those can be hard to avoid when you’re writing a young character. But would you consider him/her truly coming of age, or is it simply a very long character arc that forces him/her to grow up a lot? Every character grows in a story, whether they’re sixteen, twenty-four, or fifty-six. Hell, some people don’t even come of age until fifty-six, if they do at all.

You’re right. I probably do consider it a coming of age story but often I find it ridiculous when like a 10 year old is fighting giant monsters and travelling the world and stuff so I wanted him to just be in adulthood. The problem is he might still act like a teenager sometimes and what he goes through does force him to grow up so maybe it would make more sense for him to be 15 or something. It is planned to be YA so they might better relate to him if he’s younger.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2011

Originality is just a cliche buzz word. You're looking for creativity and inventiveness.

Always be asking yourself why things are happening in your story, why this decision is made, why this event takes place, why the conflict turns out as such. I think if you can scrutinize your work to that point, you'll be able to break through in terms of both quality and originality. And don't be afraid to soldier through what feels like a bad or inferior draft. Anything that hasn't been written is abstract and cannot be measured, sifted, and corrected. Through a poor draft, you may be led to a moment of genuine, jaw-dropping inspiration that you wouldn't have reached had you kept rearranging summaries and scattergrams.

And yes, as others have stated, make sure you have more than just your composition skills at work. I was working on material for one of my stories not too long ago, a long-gestating project that had evolved numerous times over the past few years. Through all those evolutionary steps to make it "better", I realized I'd developed a distaste for it. I dialed much of it back to recapture the spirit of what I had originally created, and ideas just started _flooding_ my mind.

Wow, I love you guys. We’re all so intelligent and insightful. Let me bask in your awesomeness and preen alongside you. preens

Yeah. Write for the love of it and because your story shows truth. Everything else is secondary, if it’s important at all.

Now I just have to follow this myself.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2011

The thing is, it started off as a rip-off, but now it’s turned into something different, because the characters themselves are different.

^^And that is as it should be.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2011

Sounds a lot like the story that’s always in the back of my mind that I’ve never written down. It started off as a total LotR ripoff (in my defense, I was eleven and had just read the books for the first time) focusing on the elves, but over time it’s evolved into something entirely different, to the point that the only similarities between it and LotR are… well, there’s long-lived people with a connection to nature who have semi-supernatural powers. Other than that, they’re nothing alike.

If you know something’s a ripoff and consciously try to examine it and think about how it could be different and why, I think it’s a safe bet that you’re going to end up with something that isn’t a ripoff when it’s all said and done. Being conscious of ripping somebody off and taking steps to revise that already puts you several yards ahead of a lot of amateur authors…

I think the hard part is changing the ripped-off stuff intentionally without losing the story you wanted to write. I guess the way to go about it is to think as deeply as you can about your worldbuilding and about how everything/one in it influences everything/one else.

If you know something’s a ripoff and consciously try to examine it and think about how it could be different and why, I think it’s a safe bet that you’re going to end up with something that isn’t a ripoff when it’s all said and done. Being conscious of ripping somebody off and taking steps to revise that already puts you several yards ahead of a lot of amateur authors…

Yeah, well said.
    A lot of writers have this problem, and it’s not just those stubborn Suethors, either. When you’re young and you just start writing, you’re pretty much putting together a jigsaw of “cool stuff I saw/read somewhere” – not because you’re a deliberately plagiarising monster who eats babies, but because you haven’t found your own “voice” yet. I ripped off like mad ten years ago (trust me, you’ll see it in my spork). Personally I think it’s a combination of laziness and quite a bit of osmosis – like I said, you throw in other people’s stuff cause you don’t have your own “voice” as an author yet. IMHO, that’s what happened with Paolini, cause he was still a kid back then (right?).

Also, some stuff is just. so. cool. I still find stuff in books and am like ‘oh, I want to write a story with exactly that in it’ and then realise that, hang on a second, if I did that I’d be plagiarising—and also it’s already been written.

^Same here.

I love the Library in Discworld. I love the moving staircases in HP. I love the pool of worlds in Narnia. I love how the Undertaker takes people to “hell”. I love how you can wish back your dead loved ones with all seven Dragonballs.

But I can’t use any of those.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2011

I admit I did a few of those in my first book. Well, not those things in particular, but other things I thought were cool at the time. The over all plot was original—but a few other things weren’t.

Sounds a lot like the story that’s always in the back of my mind that I’ve never written down. It started off as a total LotR ripoff (in my defense, I was eleven and had just read the books for the first time) focusing on the elves, but over time it’s evolved into something entirely different, to the point that the only similarities between it and LotR are… well, there’s long-lived people with a connection to nature who have semi-supernatural powers. Other than that, they’re nothing alike.

Same with me, actually, except I didn’t focus on the elves. I wanted to talk about the Haradhrim and Southrons and how they really weren’t evil, just like Faramir said. My story has nothing in common with that anymore. And somehow, the southern country isn’t the main place anymore. (Mostly because I was missing New England and gave my imaginary world that kind of climate.) Now I’m thinking about it more, and it has a kind of San Diego climate. Interesting, no?

• CommentAuthorDeborah

My problem is with the cool ideas thing.
    To explain:
    Most of those things can be changed. However, the words of power that drive away the villain sound suspiciously like the rune from ‘A Swiftly Tilting Planet’. Probably not enough for anyone else to notice, but I know what inspired them. To quote:
    I call on the sea and the stars and the sky
    To come between Minar and the evil that’s nigh

I call on the thunder, the lightning and rain
    To come between Minar and her Enemy

I call on the Maker of all that’s above
    To come between Vladruth and the city I love

And here’s the original, if I can recall it correctly:
    At Tara in this fateful hour I call on heaven with its power
    And the fire with all the strength it hath
    And the lightning with its rapid wrath
    And the winds with their swiftness along their path
    And the sea with its deepness
    And the rocks with their steepness
    And the earth with its starkness
    All these I place
    By God’s almighty help and grace
    Between myself and the powers of darkness.

The concept—that there is a set of words that can drive off evil—is something that I will definitely keep. But do I need to rewrite the specific words, or not?

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

May I pop in to add something I like to remember:

“Cliche” is itself an overused word. Many things that become cliches are so because they are… true. This is not a hard and fast rule, but it holds up especially well with elements of classical mythology. Why do so many writers use something, to the point where everyone knows about it? Because it’s effective in some way, or was at one point. The point here is merely: don’t be so eager to recoil from cliches that you wreck an otherwise serviceable story.

A reader will be far quicker to forgive you your faults if it’s obvious that you’re enjoying yourself. You come to a pop concert determined to be bored and superior, but end up tapping your feet and cheering if the band is really committed to having fun and not acting “cool”. Who counts cliches anyway? Only the tired and the jaded, and their opinion doesn’t matter.

Deborah, that seems fine to me. The original lines hang on the repetition of the word “And” at the beginning of each line. Your “I call” differentiates it enough, to me anyway, to set it apart.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

So to sum up, Tropes Are Not Bad?

I knew the discussion of the word cliche was going to come up. just knew it.

But yes, I agree with Inkblot. But by the same token, obviously there are some things that are thoughtlessly overused, and those are where the real cliches come in. I mean, as long as you put enough thought into why your Rebellious Princess is rebellious, and give her something new to say or some new angle to be rebellious about, go ahead, make her Rebellious. Otherwise, why bother?

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2011 edited

Well, some of the things have had to be changed because the characters have changed.
    For example, the original draft had most of the heroes trying to take the Big Bad’s fortress, and utterly failing. In this battle, several major characters rushed up stupidly and got killed. Now I realize that they wouldn’t do that. None of them are that reckless. (In fact, one of them is quite the opposite.)
    Of course, now I’m having problems with that battle in its own right. I like the battle before the fortress, but the heroine and her love interest are supposed to meet there, and there is no way the love interest would march across the desert. It just isn’t something he would do.
    Now if I can come up with a plausible reason for that battle to be taking place in the forest, which is on the other side of the country from the Big Bad’s Fortress, I’d be good to go. I’m toying with the idea that he has another fortress, but I don’t think much of that. If they were in the forest, they’d be attacking his allies, not him. Though that could work. It’s not even like the forest is on the route to his castle or anything. And I want the DRAMA potential of an attack on his main fortress, but it would be totally OOC for most of the cast.
    Honestly, I’ve been working on this story for three years, and it still confuses the heck out of me.
    And I don’t want to end up like Paolini, who just put things in for the sake of Rule of Cool when they don’t actually make sense.

Why not just find a reason for the love interest to have gone through the desert? Maybe he was forcibly taken there.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011

Well, I actually kind of like the battle in the forest version, too. The problem is, I can’t decide between it being an attack on the secondary fortress gone wrong, or a smaller battle that turns into the battle of the century. And until I decide that, I can’t write anything, because that’s what comes next.

List your pros and cons here?

• CommentAuthorAlyssa
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011

I think you should read this rant: http://sindragosa.comxa.com/index.php?p=1_45_A-question-of-originality because it's REALLY helpful.

I think people would prefer the well-written story than the 'original' one. What's the point of writing something original but poorly written? I think the main problem with originality is that you have to be EXTREMELY talented to pull it off, and I can tell, that most people aren't that extremely good.

Interesting read. He made some good points. He was a little harsh with what’s original and what’s not because I think Harry Potter is pretty original… I don’t use the term originality too strictly because like the guy says nothing good is original so it’s kind of a pointless word in that sense if you use it too literally. What could this guy possibly consider completely original regardless of if it’s good or bad?

If you want elves and dwarves to be different why not just not have them… my fantasy doesn’t have any of those races. But the guy also said something about people not wanting to read fantasy if it doesn’t have those races. Uh-oh… But seriously what is the deal with having to use dwarves and elves every time?

As far as originality goes I THINK mine is fairly okay but I am well aware of some huge similarities it has with certain things. While my fantasy is medieval and probably in the epic genre it is way more dare I say moderny or something like an anime.

I think people are free to “spork” things for fun, especially if they actually have literacy skills like Mark who did Twilight and Harry Potter and kippurbird who does Inheritance.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011

I absolutely love his point about similar destinations, but different roads. Excellent way of putting it.

• CommentAuthorAlyssa
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011

I think what he's saying is that he'd rather read something filled with cliches but well-written than write something original but badly written. He also said that not ALL of the elements should be original. Sure you need some creativity or have some original aspects in the story but not EVERYTHING has to be original.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011 edited

I know but how would EVERYTHING be original? He said some original things he’s read have been horrible so does that include Twilight because of the vampires and werewolves being “original”? The article was very good and he is right about that stuff but I still don’t like originality being too strict. I bet even the tiny bits of supposed originality in things in an overall unoriginal but brilliantly written book is still probably not original. If you’re gonna be strict about it then I say there’s no such thing as originality.

EDIT: Well I’ve read some of this guy’s other articles and he’s pretty good and he does at least once state that there’s no such thing as originality these days.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011

As a reader, I don’t mind some cliches. If Eragon had been well written, I wouldn’t have even minded the obvious Star Wars rip offs so much. Having both an original story and good writing would be ideal, but honestly I’d rather have a well written cliche than a poorly written original. I think a well written super hero is better than a poorly written “original” character.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Honestly, I feel that if a “cliche” is well written enough/ used by a writer of above average talent, it’s no longer a crutch, but a familiar theme affectionately explored by the author. I can’t name specific examples, but I know I’ve seen a few, where the cliche is presented so well that you feel it’s something you’ve never seen before, and when you realize you do know it it’s like a huge joke the writer is sharing with you. Not common, but the effect is awesome enough to make it worth the effort sometimes.

^Like unicorns in HP being more friendly towards girls than boys?
    The word “virgin” is never used, and the original myth is never named, but you can clearly see what was meant.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Yeah.

Ever read a book, and remember most of the plot and that it was really good, but you can’t remember any key information and know you’ll never find it again?

So the example I was thinking of was this book about a girl who’s in love with this dude, and it’s a pretty typical romance story. I can’t remember how I got ahold of it but I know I must have had a lot of time to kill. So I’m reading this, it’s a fairly basic modern chick romance, the writing is higher quality than average.

Then there’s this scene, about 3/4 of the way through, when the girl loses a shoe. At that point, all these earlier subtle clues come together, and you realize it’s Cinderella, in the original setting no less, from the girl’s point of view. That moment made me go “HOLY CRAP THIS IS AM-AY-ZING”.

a girl who’s in love with this dude

Yeah, that sounded pretty typical. XD

from the girl’s point of view

Wait a minute – AFAIK, the original fairytale also had her as the POV.
    Well, her and the prince, at least.

Semantics aside – I know what you mean.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I think the original was omniscient third. I think. This was first-person, and she thought and spoke in a noncommittal enough way that you didn’t know it wasn’t modern until the big reveal, but once you were past it her tone wasn’t distracting or unbelievable. I wish I knew what the name of that book was because it was one of the sweetest purely technical achievements I’ve ever seen.

Are any of these it, Inkblot? I’m really interested in that book now.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011 edited

Ha ha HAAA! Triumphant laughter Yeah-hah! That’s it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ella_Enchanted

Note that I may be confusing this with a few other things (I was like nine when I read it), but that’s definitely the one. Oh man, you have no idea how good it feels to know that.

WOOOOOOOOO

[EDIT]: Yeah, I got a couple elements wrong, but the central plot twist is the right one.

I loved Ella Enchanted!

Too bad the movie killed it >.<

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Oh, Ella Enchanted! One of my absolute favorites. Such an awesome book.

The movie was… less than the best, I must agree with you there. Some mildly amusing parts in it, but overall not nearly as good as the book, which is brilliant.

I think the original was omniscient third.

Yeah, that makes sense. Most fairytales are like that.

wait… wait a minute: Ella is Cinderella?
    is dazed

Well, that’s completely out of the blue. Funny thing is, I read an essay on fairytales/horror/combination of both once, where they said that Carrie can be taken as a modern retelling of Cinderella, with a slightly less happy ending. Understatement, of course.

Too bad the movie killed it >.<

To be completely honest, I’ve never made any effort to read the book, after seeing the movie (which landed on my personal list of Top 20 Worst Films Ever Seen Ever). I knew it was an adaptation of a book, but I figured that if the movie was such a horrific disaster, the book wouldn’t be worth it. Take Harry Potter, for example: the movies are all “kinda okay” (Except for OotP), whereas the books are pure brilliance (Except for DH, IMO). Then a couple of you guys started gushing about how good the EE book was and I got curious. And now I’m really curious. :-D

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011

The movie did a horrible, horrible injustice to the book.

/me loves the book to DEATH. DEATH, you hear (well, technically read) me?

Well, yeah, I get that now.

But like I said, Top 20 Worst Films Ever Seen Ever, right?
    I saw EE before Twilight burst onto the scene in all its sparkly emoness, so back then I held fast onto the belief that the book is always better than the movie. But because EE sucked so much, I was very hesitant to pick up the original book.

• CommentTimeOct 20th 2011 edited

GET THE BOOK NOW. IT IS AWESOME.

The prince is named Charmont. It took me much longer than it should have to get it.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

Oh my goodness, I loved Ella Enchanted…the book. Go for it. Please do.

@Willow – I don’t know French beyond being able to say “I don’t speak French” in French, but I still got that instantly.

@all of you guys – yeah, yeah, I will try to get my grubby little paws on it.
    But once I’ve seen for myself how good it is, I will curse Hollywood even more than I usually do.
    Be prepared for killing Mufasa for a vicious rant.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Ella Enchanted is amazing, seriously. So allow me to pester you as well about reading it. :D

Have you read anything else by Gail Carson Levine, though? Her stuff is all great. It’s mostly very clever and entertaining parodies of fairy tales. Ella Enchanted is my favorite of her books, but they’re all fantastic.

I haven’t read Ella Enchanted either because, like Klutor, after seeing the movie I wasn’t interested. Even though I knew that the book would almost certainly be better, I wasn’t that interested before seeing the movie, and the movie killed any interest that I had. I will put in on my to-read list straight away.

Have you read anything else by Gail Carson Levine, though?

No, but I’ll check her out.
    If I had, I wouldn’t have had any doubts about Ella, now would I? :-)

very clever and entertaining parodies of fairy tales

I love those.

I LOVE ELLA ENCHANTED.

/belated

OH CHARMONT/CHARMING I GET IT NAO!

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011

Ok, since we’re discussing cliches and originality and all that, a lot of stories use the mentor/apprentice/coming of age cliche. What are some things that could be done with that type of story to keep it fresh or give a different perspective? (this is to the group, not anyone in particular).

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

The mentored is more mature in some regards than the mentor.

The mentor gets fed up and ditches the mentored. The mentor is younger than the mentored. Something.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

The mentor isn’t a paragon of virtue.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

The mentor is only slightly more experienced than the mentee, but certainly not an expert, nor cool in the face of the unknown.

The micro-managing mentor stays alive for the entire story, and eventually the mentee begins struggling under the constant stream of instructions.

My “mentor” doesn’t really teach my guy much. And he’s an absolute asshole. And he doesn’t always accompany him on journeys. And there’s more a group of mentors that each study a different field but don’t all necessarily teach him much or anything either. My guy is already fairly competent with fighting but still has things to learn. Yeah….

I like TakuGifian’s second idea.

I wanted to write a different kind of mentor, so this is what I came up with:

My mentor is female, constantly grumpy, and pretty much hates the mentee (though since the fact that she needs to mentor him is a constant reminder of a really bad thing she did to him when he was born, and she doesn’t want to get attached to him so that she has to think more about it…). She always expects him to be a couple of steps further ahead than he actually is, and she doesn’t wait up for him.

She quickly gets frustrated by him on so many levels that she hands him over to a friend, who is only about ten years older than the mentee. He’s actually pretty good to him—but there’s so much that he doesn’t know, having been outside the system for so long, that he sucks at actually mentoring. He doesn’t like what the mentee is eventually going to have to stand for, but stays with him because he feels sorry for him. And he’s far too permissive—he’d rather act like a big brother or a friend than an authority figure.

I don’t know how different these two are to other stereotypical heroes outside of Obi Wan, but considering the mentee is on a tragic hero’s journey, not a hero’s journey, I guess there’ll be some things that stay the same and some things that are different. Thoughts?

I think they both sound pretty good, especially the idea of a second mentor. You know what would be interesting? A mentor with several mentees, whether s/he teaches them as a class, or individually.

The mentor figure for my female MC is actually a teacher who is paid to educate her, so obviously he does take her learning very seriously. But there are authority clashes- he’s her mentor, but she’s royalty. Also, he kind of struggles to keep his personal and professional lives separated, which can be difficult because they have grown very close.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade

Those sound really interesting, especially Taku’s and Steph’s.
    I’m currently working on one that is a Medieval knight/squire relationship. This has really been done a lot, so I’m trying to come up with something that would be fairly realistic. For instance, the knight does not give exclusive attention to the squire’s training 24/7. There are times when the relationship is more like a lord/servant, with the squire having to take care of the knight’s equipment and horse, etc; and other times where the knight turns some of the squire’s training over to older squires. So there is not the same Luke/Yoda, Eragon/Brom, 1-on-1 training going on.
    Also, the knight takes the boy to be his squire because he reminds him of a former squire who was killed in battle. He expects the new squire to progress and behave in the same way that his former squire did, which ends up frustrating both the knight and the squire. This is compounded by the fact that the knight feels like he failed his former squire in some way, and is trying to fix his mistakes with this new squire.

Also, he kind of struggles to keep his personal and professional lives separated, which can be difficult because they have grown very close.

SWQ, you gotta stop writing sentences like this. My shipping goggles keep seeing stuff there.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011

I have a mentor who is not so much a mentor as an evil manipulative bastard who uses the wise old mentor disguise to trick the prophesied hero into killing himself by charging into various ordeals completely unprepared.

It works.

SWQ, you gotta stop writing sentences like this. My shipping goggles keep seeing stuff there.

Wow, I didn’t even realize that was a shipping gold-mine until you pointed it out. :P

I have a mentor who is not so much a mentor as an evil manipulative bastard who uses the wise old mentor disguise to trick the prophesied hero into killing himself by charging into various ordeals completely unprepared.

That’s diabolical, Kyllorac.

Ok, since we’re discussing cliches and originality and all that, a lot of stories use the mentor/apprentice/coming of age cliche. What are some things that could be done with that type of story to keep it fresh or give a different perspective? (this is to the group, not anyone in particular).

Good topic (subtopic? side-topic?).
    As a matter of fact, my current WiP focuses a lot on the whole mentor thing. With the whole story, I’m basically aiming to blur a lot of lines: MentorxApprentice, HeroXSidekick, LeaderXAdvisor, MasterxMon…

The mentor isn’t a paragon of virtue.

This must be pretty must compulsory for anyone who aims to subvert the cliche.

shipping goggles

The goggles! They do nothing have now been named!
    XD

I’ve got two mentors, and three-and-a-half apprentices (it’s complicated). The two mentors have known each other for a lifetime (but not Biblically, all you shippers!), and they work great together – but they also have no problem pointing out each other’s flaws.
    And one of the apprentices is a real handful. And his relationship with the “main” mentor is… complicated, to say the least. Because of a really weird out of left field revelation in the pilot episode.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

That’s diabolical, Kyllorac.

It’s what I do.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

That’s brilliant is what I call it.

Wow, I didn’t even realize that was a shipping gold-mine until you pointed it out. :P

I told you, the first time I read it. I was all “squee!” and you were all, ‘he’s like fifty, Steph”, and I was “uhhhn. Why did you do this to me?”

Kyllorac, you’re brilliant. Oh, wait, Inkblot already said that. But it’s true.

Klutor, your thing sounds so awesome.

(but not Biblically, all you shippers!),

Rats.

bq And one of the apprentices is a real handful. And his relationship with the “main” mentor is… complicated, to say the least. Because of a really weird out of left field revelation in the pilot episode.

BECAUSE THEY’RE IN LOVE, RIGHT? TELL ME IT IS SO!

Klutor, your thing sounds so awesome

Thanks!

Rats.

No, actually they are now horses.
    But don’t worry – they’ll be rats again by midnight.
    XD

BECAUSE THEY’RE IN LOVE, RIGHT? TELL ME IT IS SO!

NOOOO IT IS NOT SO….
    They’ve got a bit of belligerent hoYay going for them, though.
    It can’t be helped – they’re both very opinionated and stubborn people.

I told you, the first time I read it. I was all “squee!” and you were all, ‘he’s like fifty, Steph”, and I was “uhhhn. Why did you do this to me?”

...Maybe you were still stuck in a Twilight frame of mind. :P

SWQ: oh, you. Don’t go there, hon.