Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorAidan
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011

Hey, everyone. First of all, thanks for having such a great site. Your articles and discussions about them have helped me with my own writing. With that in mind, my current project is a dystopian novel. I've been working on it off and on for about a year and a half, and I'm having some trouble. Could I get your opinions on a few things?

1. Do you think it's best to subtly reveal the differences between the real world and the fictional society, or plunge the reader into it within the first few chapters? I've seen both. Fahrenheit 451 seems to take the subtle approach. Brave New World has Mustapha Mond give the children a lecture about the mechanics of society within the first two or three chapters. 1984 seems to me like it moderates between the two; we have an interplay of subtle revelations with things like "the book". Which of these approaches do you think most effective?

2. In the three dystopias I mentioned above, there seems to be a scene or scenes in which the main antagonist cuts to the heart of the fictional worlds' philosophy. In Fahrenheit it was when Captain Beatty visited Montag, in 1984 it was both "the book" and the interrogation scenes with O'Brien, in Brave New World it was when Mustapha Mond gave the Savage and Bernard a choice to go the island, etc. Is this scene necessary? Which of the above examples was most interesting/effective to you, and which was least?

I think that's it for now. Thank you guys for having me and thanks for all of the great answers I know are coming.

Aidan
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy

Depends on what you are aiming for, I guess. It’s important to remember that Dystopian novels were written as a counter-point to Utopian novels, where the “point” of the book was to illustrate how we could live in Utopia. Utopian novels made for fairly lousy reading in my opinion, because they were closer to textbooks on the application of Marxism, or whatever the latest panacea is. Because Utopian novels were so pointedly about the ideas involved, and not the stories, you end up with a lot of dystopian novels that are the same way. Most people consider Brave New World to be a very important fiction, but not an especially well written story, because the characters are 1-dimensional illustrations of what Huxley wanted to symbolize.

1. If the point of your dystopian novel is to illustrate an important idea, then go with the Brave New World approach. If you are trying to create a well-written immersive story, then go for the subtle route.

2. Again, the inclusion of this sort of scene is to illustrate the “point”. This is strictly optional if that isn’t what you are going for.

If you haven’t read The Handmaid’s Tale that’s another masterpiece of the genre.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Slyshy said it very well. There is a difference between a dystopian novel and a novel with a dystopian setting. Blade Runner, for example, is set in a Crapsack World. Or Repo! the Opera or Escape From New York or basically any of those heavy-handed 80’s action movies.

Dystopianism as political theory evolved from a disillusionment with the late 1700s fascination with constructing ideal societies on paper. These were uniformly written by the sort of people who thought that shouting “PROGRESS!” and “SCIENCE!” would actually accomplish something. Unfortunately, this means that dystopian novels were written by the sort of cynical people who really enjoy crushing the dreams of idealists.1984, then, is really not a novel. It’s an anti-Communist political rant. It’s a lot like early science fiction in that the emphasis is on ideas, big bold ideas that readers will think about and toss over. The ideas and imagery of the novel are really big, and really memorable, and that is to Orwell’s credit. As Sly already said. However, I always advise people to read only the first two chapters, where all these ideas are presented, and then skip the rest.

I usually judge fiction, oddly enough, by whether or not I would want to live in the world the author creates. And I would never want to live in the world of either Brave New World or 1984. From the moment you’re born, you’re screwed. Dystopian political novels like these are uniformly bleak, grim, and desperate. I hate reading a novel where the protagonist is crushed under the merciless weight of the Novus Ordo. That’s just me.

451, on the other hand, is not a heavy-handed political allegory at all. It does have a dystopian setting, treated in a sort of wistful, dreamy way, but it is really one long extended in-joke about books, with punchlines directed toward book-lovers. And that book I love to death. In 451 there is hope. The whole point of 1984 and New World is to be monolithically grim and terrible, but that doesn’t mean they are enjoyable stories or even particularly realistic ones. That’s basically the reason I posted, because I want to make clear that Fahrenheit 451 is not really the same kind of novel.

So if you are writing a dystopian novel, then good luck to you sir. If you’re writing a novel set in a dystopia, then good luck with a bit more warmth. :D

• CommentAuthorAidan

"Repo! the Opera" Not Repo...anything but Repo...(shudders as he traces a scar on his cheek)

On a serious note, though, I think you both have good points, and I think that your basic question is the one I have to figure out for myself: is my story a dystopian novel, or a novel set in a dystopia? Thanks for helping me get to the heart of the matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I’m glad I didn’t offend you, to begin with. That I actually helped with anything is double bonus points! :D

Well, the old one was creepy as all hell. And squicky. I’m not gonna say I liked it, but it is a good example. You can put Minority Report in there if you want instead.