Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I just googled it. You’re right. Some pirated content on Megaupload was hosted on some Virginian servers, so YOUR feds shut it down. It’s YOUR fault the podcast is down, America. Hope you’re happy.

And woah—megaupload is gone. That thing was my lifeblood when rented dvds were too scratched to play and I still wanted to watch them.

Anyway. I really don’t want to use youtube. I want this file to be able to be downloaded in one piece as a podcast. I’ll work something else out.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012

Megaupload is nuked for good. Yeah.

On the plus side there’s my post in the Awesome Thread, which is too cool for words.

Looking now.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Steph, upload it to Mediafire, and share the URL here. Simplest thing ever, whatever Puppet says to the contrary.

Okay, thanks for the suggestion :D

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Or you can use Filedropper; its ads are less intrusive than Mediafire’s.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012 edited

Yeah, I wouldn’t use youtube. If you use any sort of intro music, you’ll probably end up fighting some copyright war anyways. Even if it’s public domain and the filer has no copyright over it. (Youtube has been forced into such a ridiculous guilty until proven innocent corner. And the person filing the complaint doesn’t actually have to prove they hold the copyright. It can literally be anyone making the complaint.)

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Fine, save it as audacity files, and then stick it on iTunes?

You have to upload it somewhere else for that to work. iTunes only stores links to podcasts. I wanted to get a feed going for iTunes once we’d done a couple more episodes.

Ohhh. Where can you upload it? Playlist.com??? Er… okay, I’m out.

I’ll find somewhere. Don’t worry.

What about right here?

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2012

I second the proposed motion.

I don’t know too much about the ins and outs of this stuff, but I think it would mean that Sly would have to deal with finding a home for all this stuff. At present most of II is text-based, or link-retrieval when it comes to pictures, and so I’d say it would be comparatively quite small in size. Podcasts can go over 100 MBs and will add up quickly, and he’d have to pay for that space. I’m also hazarding a guess that it would mean traffic would be too heavy for his servers.

I could, however, be talking a bunch of nonsense. The fact remains, though, that Sly has never offered space on II servers for the audio version of the podcast, and I’m taking that to mean that for whatever technical reason, he can’t or won’t.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012

Ah, the ins and outs of running a website are surprisingly complicated.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012

Yeah, hosting file storage kind of defeats the whole “make-II-smaller” plan.

Don’t worry. Don’t worry.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012

Why can’t you youtube it? There are options to make it ‘private’ as in “shared link only” rather than anyone can access. That setting keeps it off the main page and out of the search engine, so only people you link to it can see it. And if you don’t use any copyrighted content, the most you have to deal with is the comments section, which you have the option of disabling.

Anyway. I really don’t want to use youtube. I want this file to be able to be downloaded in one piece as a podcast.

—Steph

Anyway, I would’ve suggested YouTube too because I don’t know anything about file hosting or file sharing or anything, but I do agree that it’s nicer to download a file and listen to it on my computer than have to mess with YouTube and it maybe decided not to load and having go through several videos to listen to the whole thing. I hope you find something, Steph.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012 edited

I have ~15G of storage on my 4shared account, and I don’t have to worry about bandwidth, so I could host the podcasts if needed. The nice thing is you can listen on the page before/instead of downloading, in addition to having a download link. I also have everything in my account set to private, so none of my files show up in any search engines.

—-

Another nice thing: I can make the folder viewable to folks with the links, as well as embed podcasts in pages that support HTML. I’ve posted up the first podcast here for an example: impishcast.4shared.com

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I like Kyllorac’s idea. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012 edited

And I almost forgot! I can also set it so that you guys can upload the podcast directly to that folder without having to send the file to me for me to upload. :3

I just did right now, so if you folks want to upload some test files, that’s fine/great/mandatory. :P

I may have missed something, but why do we want the podcast to be private?

Kyllorac’s idea sounds great, though.

Uh… SWQ, I think Kyll was saying her OTHER stuff would be private, not the podcast.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Yeah. What Nate said. The podcast should be set to public. Everything else of mine shouldn’t be visible, so if you’re able to see files of mine that aren’t podcast-related, do tell me.

Uh… SWQ, I think Kyll was saying her OTHER stuff would be private, not the podcast.

Right. That makes much more sense.

• CommentAuthorMnemone
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012

You could try Podbean.com. It works really well.

I’ll try Kyll’s. I can’t stop you from listening, and I’d feel mean about asking you not to, but can I ask that people don’t start discussing it or anything until we get the transcript up?

Gah. I’m trying to type this while listening to Willow, Inspector and Bean yap in my ear.

I’m uploading it now, and episode three will be recorded in eight and a half hours.

Uploaded.

Now, Kyllorac, why won’t it show up?

WHY.

WHY DOES EVERY SINGLE EPISODE DO THIS TO ME???

Trying again in twelve hours.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2012

You need to refresh the page after uploading?

It’s showing up fine for logged-out me.

Someone else! Quick! Back me up!

Well, I meant more our failed attempt at podcasting.

Why are you still on-line? You told me you were shopping for cushions!

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

My mother got distracted by new house blueprint planning.

I need to go to bed.
    I don’t want to.
    I want to stay up and make the damn thing work and stop worrying about cockroaches. How big do they get around there, anyway? You and Rocky hung up without telling me.

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach

12 inches.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Huge. Fist-sized. Literally. See, they’re fat roaches. And they like living in this one Bio classroom of mine. Sometimes they scuttle up onto a desk to watch a student writing their notes.

We’ve all learned to just ignore them. Except for the Freshmen. XD

Great. No wonder Rocky didn’t want to tell me. Not after the debacle tonight.

RECORDED.

Now it just has to be edited. Hopefully nothing goes wrong since we all recorded separate tracks.

• CommentTimeJan 29th 2012

Woot!

• CommentAuthorMnemone

Shouldn't recording all separate tracks make the editing easier?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

We were having myriad technical issues throughout, so if something is missing, it’s MISSING.

I can see how you would think that, but it isn’t. Excuse my long-windedness as I explain :)

See, with only two tracks, I have an excuse not to edit everything to perfection, so there’s that. :D Then it involves making sure that everyone can record and is recording properly. It took a LONG time to make this work. Then once it’s saved, it has to be converted into mp3, then everyone has to upload their separate mp3s. Then I have to make sure they’re all synced, which’ll take more time.

Then because it’s there, I’ll be juggling 6 tracks on the edits, so making sure peoples’ blurts and stops and starts are deleted, and still keeping it all in sync. It’s a challenge I’ve taken on because I want to get better, but it’s definitely not going to be easy. Better quality at the end of it all though.

Sorry for the delay, finally uploaded my parts.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2012 edited

Mine are up as well. Let me know if my voice makes anyone's ears bleed.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Let me know if my voice makes anyone’s ears bleed.

Next time don’t do your, “Christian Bale as the Batman” impression.

You were fine, Rocky. :)

Next time don’t do your, “Christian Bale as the Batman” impression.

Haha, you haven’t heard Rorschach’s Joker impression, have you? :D

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach

You should hear my “Christian Bale as Batman” routine.

I need to start doing stand-up comedy so I can actually do it.

You can do “Christian Bale as Batman”? WHY WAS THIS NOT ON THE PODCAST? (On-topicicity be damned!)

• CommentAuthorRocky

Rorschach's Joker is quite good. I was surprised.

At any rate, I prefer imitating Billy Connolly.

Rorschach’s Joker is quite good.

It really is.

I was surprised.

I wasn’t. I could kind of hear from his voice how he could do a Joker impression.

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach

I wasn’t. I could kind of hear from his voice how he could do a Joker impression.

You’re saying my voice is all nasally?

• CommentAuthorRocky

Oh, hey, look. Both Rorschach and I have dark features and white eyes.

You’re saying my voice is all nasally?

Kind of, but not in a bad way.

I’m so annoyed that I missed his Joker impression. I think I cut out a bit at that stage.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012

I enjoyed playing the 'Jeopardy' theme song while the recording software was getting set up. Hopefully that was evil enough.

applause

I’ve never seen Jeopardy. I did however hear that urgent Ben Hur music or whatever it was. That really made my heart start racing.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012

Ah, you mean "this":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFyOHDzyJZ0?

DARN YOU ROCKY.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012

I get the feeling my existence has become an irritation.

I get the feeling my existence has become an irritation.

No, no, just everything about you.

I am officially on skype, and therefore, able to be on the cast. Only on Saturdays though.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2012

bq. The effect’s sort of ruined by the advert, but you get my point.

Image won't display.

:D

Righty-oh, Marquis.

Okay. So I have to say something. Not that the podcast episodes have ever been fast getting out there, but the thing is I never seem to have any time anymore. The way my life is going, it looks like the II Podcast is going to have a limited run. It’s not fair on you guys for me to not let you know that. What I’m thinking is, I can do a couple more to finish off with a round five; then if anyone else wants to take over, let them, and if not, then we’ve had a great experience that unfortunately couldn’t have been longer.

If you want to be in before it goes, cast your vote now. Puppet’s and Marquis’s have already been heard, and I’m sure there are a lot of people who said stuff before and I haven’t registered.

I wouldn’t mind being part of the cast again, if there are spaces left. However, those who haven’t been on should get priority above repeat offenders, especially if the podcast’s going out of business.

But I’m really sorry that your Podcast-helming days are coming to an end, Steph. :(

Me too, dude.

The next one’s topic will probably be female characters, and something else. Anyone who has topic suggestions or wants to talk about female characters, throw it at me now!

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012 edited

I might not have much to contribute regarding female characters, but I’m willing to at least be a sounding board.

As for other topics, how about adaptations? Accuracy to source material vs. telling a good story, is it better to be true to the text or the spirit, that sort of thing.

And hopefully not end up discussing how awesome the Lord of the Rings movies were.

...What. The LotR movies are awesome. (Not perfect, but awesome.)

We could try to dissect certain female characters in fiction and see whether or not they stand out.

• CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012

I WANT TO BE IN ON FEMALE CHARACTERS.

Pretty please? :(

• CommentAuthorNo One

What’s happening with the transcript of ep. 2?

I do not know.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012 edited

Lo, behold the Man of Rock doth appear in the midst of the Impish Podcast Topic; he shall speak but nothing, and yet conjure the ire of Steph. 'Cause that's what always happens.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

So is there a confirmed cast list for the next one? It sounds really interesting and I’d love to participate, but I don’t know if I’d be A. Good enough at talking about stuff and B. Awake when everyone else is. Also, do you actually see each other on Skype?

• CommentAuthorRocky

I'll not request a slot in the next podcast, and likely any beyond that.

I’m obviously willing to do it again, and I’m pretty sure I’d be less terrible the second time, but if it’s gonna be the last one and you’re looking to involve as many new voices as you can, I don’t mind being left out.

Although if it’s about female characters, I can’t talk about The Wire for 90% of it.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012

What a shame…
    Anyway, I look forward to hearing it!

Oh, I can talk about female characters for hours. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012 edited

Anyone who has topic suggestions or wants to talk about female characters, throw it at me now!

Rebellious Princess Syndrome? :P

^ Yes.

• CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012

AGREED. Someone take note!

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2012

All I know is that most female characters I read in the fantasy genre, make me embarrassed of my own gender.

OK, I’m done. Heading out of the thread now.

All I know is that most female characters I read in the fantasy genre, make me embarrassed of my own gender.

I try to work on this in my own writing but with mixed results. :/

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2012

I’d be interested to hear what the group has to say as I’m in the middle of tackling two female characters now. (My theory on countering tokenism is to add more- then neither needs to stand in for the entire gender and are allowed to be flawed.)

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012

Maybe this is a somewhat naive approach, but it’s my opinion that the key to writing a good female character is to remove the “female” bit from your description; come up with a character that’s female, not a female character, the difference being between creating, well, a character, and creating something designed to be a good female character.

...Does that make any sense?

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012

Exactly. That makes complete sense.

I need to let you guys know, my computer has died, which is why I haven't been on lately. I've had access to the internet at work for like ten minutes at a time, enough to send an email or two--but I just have no way to edit the podcast at the moment.

Ugh. I'm so sorry about this. It's been fraught with problems every step of the way.

I need to let you guys know, my computer has died, which is why I haven’t been on lately. I’ve had access to the internet at work for like ten minutes at a time, enough to send an email or two—but I just have no way to edit the podcast at the moment.

Ugh. I’m so sorry about this. It’s been fraught with problems every step of the way.

I was just going to say this, but I hadn’t had time.

But yeah. Steph’s computer sucks.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012

Sucky computer are no good. I have a terrible laptop that I am often extremely close to punching the screen out. I’m not normally a very angry person, but I’ve slammed my hand down on the table multiple times. Feel for you Steph.

Stupid IE. Why do I keep clicking on you when I have Chrome right here???

Short version of what I posted before (and it's still rather long):

I have the internet back and I have a computer again, thankfully with a fully restored hard-drive--but the thing is, I'm not sure I can keep going on with the podcast. It has quite honestly turned out to be more trouble than it's worth and I don't have the time or energy to get over the learning curve to make it not so much trouble anymore. This came about because I have this habit of taking on too much too quickly, especially things as high-intensity as this, and making grand plans without thinking about how much time and energy it's going to take. And this has taken a lot of it.

I'm sorry to bow out of this so quickly; it's a disappointment to you guys or the site. I should have said we'd do a couple as a test run rather than hyping it up so much before I knew what it was going to be like in practice. This is the result of a personal flaw I need to deal with, but in the meantime it leaves a few things in the dust.

I do have an idea though, since a lot of great topics were put forward: what say we take those topic ideas and create some collaborative articles? Using Google Docs or an IRC chat forum (forgive my noob-fu but I believe that's what it's called) is a possibility, perhaps with a slightly-tweaked script format, to turn it into a written version of an episode, with jokes and all (and in-article credit for what you put forward, too). This would help us get some more articles and content going on the site again, as we used to have, and it's a lot more low-key and easier to control. It's also easier to spread over a couple of days instead of turning into a scheduling -ball of flames that wants to eat your soul- nightmare.

If anyone wants to discuss this or any other options here, go ahead. Again, I'm very sorry for how this has turned out. The podcast hasn't worked in an audio format, but I don't like to abandon the idea of Imps collaborating like this altogether.

Flame away. Or, alternatively, put your ideas forward.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2012

I’ll write a collaborative article. I have a phobia of microphones anyway.

And hey, Steph, don’t beat yourself up over this. You had the drive and motivation to get even those couple of episodes done, and it had a good run while it lasted.

I do have an idea though, since a lot of great topics were put forward: what say we take those topic ideas and create some collaborative articles? Using Google Docs or an IRC chat forum (forgive my noob-fu but I believe that’s what it’s called) is a possibility, perhaps with a slightly-tweaked script format, to turn it into a written version of an episode, with jokes and all (and in-article credit for what you put forward, too). This would help us get some more articles and content going on the site again, as we used to have, and it’s a lot more low-key and easier to control. It’s also easier to spread over a couple of days instead of turning into a scheduling ball of flames that wants to eat your soul nightmare.

I like this idea.

• CommentAuthorMegaB
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2012

Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeph! What is this I see?! I’m gone for a few months and things have degenerated to a lump of mass hysteria, flat jokes and condescending people wanting in on another episode? (that was not an insult to anyone except myself people.)

Ah well, where can I get the download links? I was really looking forward to this. I shall have to be content with a latte from my new moka pot.

Also, chill out. Life gets in the way, we all know that.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2012

Is the last podcast lost, then? I'm a bit mixed on the details.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2012

I’m not sure, I haven’t seen Steph around for a while.

I do think it would be a good idea to continue to the podcast, though. It generated a lot of good writing discussion and I found it really interesting as a reader/listener.

That said, what do you guys think of just doing the “podcast” over Google Talk or IRC? It’s a lot of work to set up Skype and get everyone on at the same time, make sure the recording is working properly, editing the audio file, transcribing it, uploading it somewhere, etc. I think it would be simpler if we just arranged a time and place where we could all meet up and discuss topics via text chat. That way there would be minimal editing required and we could upload it to the main site directly, not to mention we could start doing them more often and on a more consistent schedule.

Thoughts?

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2012 edited

My headset mic setup would allow me to record an entire conversation, so I'd be willing to participate purely on that level, or just as a way to capture everyone, if anyone wanted to actually continue podcasts on a more sporadic level. Other than that, I'd be up for text-based conversations.

If we continue the vocal podcasts, it would probably be a good idea to establish more than one host, though not more than three (and that might be pushing it), and then fill out a listed roster based on the topic(s). We could even record more than one podcast for different hosts (which would allow for more topics to be covered, more guests to be involved, and more frequent updates for everyone else). Would probably help to sort of determine who will talk about what, rather than walk in vaguely and have awkward pauses interspersed with chaotic chatter. If the hosts can wrangle all that into an outline, they should be able to delineate immediate topics via questions, and then just let themselves and guests go nuts for a few minutes. The more organized and rigid we are during the recording, the easier the editing process, methinks.
    • CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2012 edited

I’m all for Google Talk because transcribing takes a lot of work, effort and time, and I don’t want to inconvenience the transcriber.

it would probably be a good idea to establish more than one host

I really like this idea because I think it would put less pressure on just one person. There could also be other people (maybe?) who could edit the podcasts together. And then the transcribers.

Also, if nobody is transcribing episode two, I could try to do it, though I can’t promise quick results. :P

EDIT:
    Something else, can someone upload the first episode to wherever the second one is uploaded to because you can’t download the first episode anymore because of the megaupload thing (I just thought to check that).

And I was thinking about going through and linking to things people talked about during the podcast because Steph said she had links, but they got deleted. And would anyone mind if I bolded the names of the people who are talking (ex. SWQ: talk talk talk)? It seems like it would be easier to read the transcript that way because it would separate what’s being said from who is saying it.

*skulks back into the room*

I'm back. Hopefully for good this time. The internet is extremely easy to avoid, and that's what I've been doing--that's all I'll say.

I left a mess behind, and I want to apologise again for that. I'm going to try and clean that up now, like a mature and responsible person.

And I will not try and take on too much next time.

Here's what's going on:

1. Kyllorac's 4-shared folder has the links. I've had a quick gander over this thread and can't find them.

2. Puppet's idea of doing an IRC 'podcast' is brilliant. This would be the easiest, least-stressful way to go.LIke he says, minimal editing, and it will still foster discussion and stimulation of our writerly/readerly minds.

3. The third episode is not 'lost', it's unedited because it is a giant beast of a thing. I'm going to make a concerted effort to edit it. I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, and how much of it is worth saving, as it mostly turned into a 'gushing about shows you love' type of thing. But I'll have another look at it and get it going. You guys should at least get to see how it turned out.

4. "If we continue the vocal podcasts, it would probably be a good idea to establish more than one host, though not more than three (and that might be pushing it), and then fill out a listed roster based on the topic(s). We could even record more than one podcast for different hosts (which would allow for more topics to be covered, more guests to be involved, and more frequent updates for everyone else)."

If we continue them, this is a pretty good idea, too. The vocal podcasts were fun, if a bit chaotic (!) and definitely having more hosts would spread the load a bit.

5. And I was thinking about going through and linking to things people talked about during the podcast because Steph said she had links, but they got deleted.

Jolly good idea, old chap. Email me and I'll go through the transcript of episode 1 again and search everything again.

Anyone interested in resurrection, with a fallible, drunken old Imp at the helm of this mixed metaphor? I say we try something low-key like an IRC episode and see how that turns out.

And my sincere apologies, once again. I will *not* let this happen again.