Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011

Can’t wait! So excited! Did you use the art?!

Also, Megaupload WTF? Use Mediafire, no timers or ads or any of that crap.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

There are people who don’t use AdBlock?

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

There are, believe it or not. But the timer is what really pisses me off now.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Step 1. Open download link.

Step 2. Browse ImpishIdea for 1 minute.

Step 3. ???

Step 4. Profit.

Mr Winchester transcends these labels and limits you attempt to put on his sexuality.

You have earned +1 favor from me. Remember to use it wisely.

Magic.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Alternate step: use Filedropper in the first place.

Not trying to be critical, and sorry if I came off that way. But Filedropper has no wait times, nor does it seem to have intrusive ads.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

NATE! HI! I’m still not over my initial euphoria that you’re around again.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

Nate: THAT SHOW! I keep ending up watching it, but only last about ten minutes before my brain melts out my ears. ahem anyywaaay…

Yay, the podcast is up! I love reading the wider response, especially since it went so well (or sounded like it did ;D). I also can’t wait for the next one—technical issues, what’s that? XD

THAT WAS SO AWESOME. (including Thea’s lovely transcript)

Okay, when are we doing the next one? (Hahaha, just kidding, Steph.)

Seriously, though I didn’t sound as awful as I thought I would, and the discussion turned out really great. Can I shill this to my AP Lit class? Doubt any of them would take an interest, but still…

If you can’t shill this to people, what has happened to this website?

True, true.

Just curious: is there a way we can tell how many people download/listen to it?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Whoever owns the Megaupload account can log in and see how many times the file has been downloaded.

So it will be up to Steph (or whoever) to tally up all the different sites to get the total.

Okey day. I was just curious if she would be able to provide a report on how popular or hated we all were.

Also, once I submit the feed to iTunes, we’ll be able to tell from there.

Step 1. Open download link.
    Step 2. Browse ImpishIdea for 1 minute.
    Step 3. ???
    Step 4. Profit.

What Puppet said.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011

Finally got around to listening to the podcast while reading. Can I just say, you all sound like awesome people? Sure, I can’t tell the difference between Sly/Rorschach and Steph/Nate and sometimes I can’t hear some of the speakers, but it was just awesome.

Also, a really big thank you to Thea for transcribing the podcast. I now realise that it must’ve taken a long time and a lot of hard work to transcribe all those weirdly-accented voices, but I think it’s worth the effort.

Wow, I thought you were kidding when you said you couldn’t tell us apart. Yes, it’s weird, but I think totally understandable in your case!

I sound like Steph?

I’ll figure out later if I’m flattered or offended.

Rats. I just noticed that that list of links to stuff we were talking about that I posted at the bottom somehow got deleted.

If you give me the links, I can tack them on at the end.

@BlueMask from way back about the mascot.

Our mascot is Jeremy the raven. He likes shiny things and is on the cover art of the podcast.

Now that Ep1 is a smashing success, when is Ep2 going to happen? Does anybody have any cool discussion ideas?

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach

Ep2 has already been recorded.

Oh, cool.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Yay!

• CommentAuthorNo One

I sound like Steph?

I’ll figure out later if I’m flattered or offended.

Well, you two have the same mellow, cheery voice that makes you two sound like kind people.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

So, where do we stand in terms of 1) how many episodes have recorded 2) how many are ready for posting and 3) future podcasts?

1) two including the first episode
    2) currently none. I might have time to work on editing episode two while I’m away.
    3) I’m away for a month so I can’t organise anything new until then.

Straight off the bat I’ll say that I can’t guarantee a regular schedule, but new episodes will happen.

I do know that Kyllorac and hopefully Rocky if he gets his skype sorted out will be on the third episode, though. What I’m planning to do is slowly move away from who was on the first episode, one or two people at a time, so that when recording, most of the people on each episode will know how everything works and it’ll be that much smoother.

Topic suggestion: Female characters.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Ooh, that would be a great topic for discussion.

heh, women-only discussing female characters or men-only discussing female characters? (then flip the cast for male characters)

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

But! Writing awesome characters! I still have all my notes and stuff!

(Though female characters would be an interesting topic, with more focus.)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I’d like to get in on a podcast, eventually. Whenever there’s an opening or anything.

We are definitely doing writing awesome characters, as well as another topic I’m still defining the parameters of.

edit: righty-oh, Puppet. twirls moustache I will see what I can do…

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011

So who do you actually record all the voices? Do you do a mass Skypeing?

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

I also think delving into female characters would be a good topic. For one, a lot of male authors worry about this. But for another, female characters have been done so poorly by existing strictly as a love interest/ The Girl with few other motivations, hopes or dreams simply as a person. Either that, or they exist as a sort of cipher for the author to rant against the faults of men as in some of Robert Jordan’s writings. Anyways, I could go on, but I probably should not discuss the discussion point except to say: Do It!.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Episode 3 is never coming out, guys.

/bad joke

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Too soon, Ink.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011 edited

Awesome. It totally took forever to download on my stupid computer but so worth it. You guys are great—though, maaan, I want to hear the second one. What was the topic of number 2?

Also! Can I volunteer myself as a cover art maker? ‘Cause I decided to do a cover for fun (been trying to improve my gimp skills lately) and really liked how it turned out, so if nothing’s lined up for the next one, I’d love to contribute.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

FEMALE CHARACTERS.

Can we try for a weekend afternoon or early evening, perhaps, when we do it? I really, really want to participate :)

heh, women-only discussing female characters or men-only discussing female characters? (then flip the cast for male characters)

Writing Characters of the Opposite Gender would also be a great discussion.

I kind of disliked the tendency to state “JRR Tolkien is The Best” as a fact rather than an opinion. His purple prose style is probably the worst thing paolini stole from him.

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012

I kind of disliked the tendency to state “JRR Tolkien is The Best” as a fact rather than an opinion.

Essentially everything in the podcast is opinion, by virtue of the fact we said it. We didn’t spend much time discussing verifiable facts, we gave our opinions and thoughts on various subjects.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012 edited

Eh, I don’t think purple prose is the word you’re looking for as it certainly is NOT what Paolini stole from Tolkien. Paolini is very much purple prose and has a habit of using really odd metaphors, describing in insane detail and completely in appropriate times (battles), thesaurus abuse, inappropriate use of words, and in general there is no art to his descriptions.

Tolkien is descriptive. Descriptive in a way that modern sensibility dislikes, but it is not wrong per say. The standards have changed on what constitutes good writing as have people’s patience for slow paced stories (for movies, compare the pace of Lawrence of Arabia to any historical fiction piece today.) What Tolkien does is paint a picture with words and not at in appropriate times like Paolini. It’s one of things that I enjoy about Tolkien, although many do not appreciate, is the ability to visualize in specific detail these different places in his world. But it’s not purple. The physical descriptions of his characters are pretty sparse which is often a tip-off for purple prose/ description at the wrong time. Furthermore, I would argue his word choice is very deliberate and conscious not only to it’s meaning, but its historical roots (no anachronistic words here).

Edit
    As for Tolkien is the best. Maybe not everyone would think he is the best. But you would be hard-pressed to find some-one that had a larger impact on the fantasy genre as a whole. The Revolutionist we might say in place of Best, but I would argue for both. The First Revolution and the Greatest. But that’s just me :)

The Revolutionist we might say in place of Best

Mm, yes, I agree highly with this. I am hesitant to say that anything is ‘the best’.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012

I’ the kind of excitable bookworm/fangirl that loudly enthuses about things and then quite often forgets about them, with a few exceptions [Hp, for example] but I have more of a quiet appreciation for Tolkien. LOTR, the Hobbit and the Silmarillion are the kind of books that I like to savor, and let my mind simmer in, if that makes sense.

I kind of disliked the tendency to state “JRR Tolkien is The Best” as a fact rather than an opinion. His purple prose style is probably the worst thing paolini stole from him.

You’ll have to learn to appreciate our “hyperbole as humor” style, maybe. ;-)

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2012

If that’s meant to be humor, it’s dangerously close to a troll.

If not, it’s an opinion. Not one that I fully agree with, but I can see where its adherents would draw their factual basis from.

Woah, guys. Woah.

After jaunting all around the south east and shopping my little heart out (goodbye, first paycheck. I will always remember you), I’m back. Sort of. I have RL stuff that I didn’t get around to before my holidays to take care of, as well as general podcast stuff.

First order of business: Podcast Episode #2 is entitled Breaking Down. Who is up for transcribing it? Warning—it gets a little NSFW (which I’d like to avoid in future, fyi), and it’s also an hour long, rather than the 35 minutes that was the first episode.

Second order of business: Organising the third episode. I am doing this.

Third order of business:

So who do you actually record all the voices? Do you do a mass Skypeing?

Yes. I don’t have a definite recording program that I like yet, but I’m leaning towards audacity, which is what I’ve used for editing since the dawn of time, and I have recently found out that it can record. I may for the next episode get everyone to record on their own computers using audacity, so that I can get clearer audio quality. ‘Snot hard, so don’t worry :)

Also! Can I volunteer myself as a cover art maker? ‘Cause I decided to do a cover for fun (been trying to improve my gimp skills lately) and really liked how it turned out, so if nothing’s lined up for the next one, I’d love to contribute.

YES. DO.

Also I’m not sure if I credited Inkblot as cover artist in the first podcast notes—have to fix that up. Sorry if I didn’t.

I kind of disliked the tendency to state “JRR Tolkien is The Best” as a fact rather than an opinion.

Notice I didn’t say anything.

Willow and SWQ, your ideas and points have been duly noted. It’ll happen.

Now. After we get, say, three episodes up and running, I’d like to do a reaction episode, where people who had different opinions on what we said, or little bits they want to add, get to share what they think instead of getting lost in the comments. If there are enough people who want to comment on a topic, or if it merits going into a section of its own in a different podcast—say, “The Ethics of Sporking pt 2” which I have a few ideas for…—we’ll do it that way too.

Whether those people come on to the podcast themselves to put their ideas forth ‘in person’ (sort of) or whether we read comments aloud and discuss them (making sure to have people on each side) would be a case-by-case basis. I might make a separate thread for reactions.

I also have this idea of just getting a bunch of imps together and we all talk about whatever actually comes up. Sort of ‘interlude’ podcasts, if you will.

Thoughts?

• CommentTimeJan 15th 2012

Interludes sound hella fun. May I suggest all interested parties add each other on Skype, and then we can have random chatting parties?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012

Off topic… But yeah, I was thinking we should set something up outside of the forums where Imps could just chat casually (as in IRC), but Skype, Gmail, etc. are all fine alternatives as well.

Wanna stick that one in the feedback thread, guys? It’ll get lost here, for sure.

also: the new intro is up if you want to listen to it!

and this is very late, but Jeremy is a crow, not a raven.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012

I’d be happy to do the transcribing again—I think it’d go much better since I think I understand what’s needed now—if no one else wants to do it.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

Yay! Podcast number 2! Also, here are the covers I made. And in regards to the wayward plural, I made three versions of pretty much the same thing, just with different schemes, so pick whichever you like best. :) Also, the second one is in a circle too, but you can’t see it because its basically the same colour as the forum…so sorry about that.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I really like the 3rd one, it has a nice retro look to it. This is going to be a bit nitpicky, but the microphone looks a bit out of place with the overall style/theme.

but the microphone looks a bit out of place with the overall style/theme.

Mmm, I think I agree. But I like how the 3rd one looks like a vinyl record.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

Yeah the third was very cool with the vinyl record look. I think the issue with the mike is the combination of photo-realism with a stylized silhouette. The other two are pretty cool, but records are awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012 edited

This is going to be a bit nitpicky, but the microphone looks a bit out of place with the overall style/theme.

It’s an easy fix, though. Find/make a mic silhouette and use it instead and it will look awesome.

Though I do like the first. But I’ve always been partial to blues and anything with blues.

—-

You might want to antialias the edges of the circles though. A simple feathering (Select > Feather > 1-2 px) should do the trick. Or you could trace the selection as a path and use the Ink tool to make a clean border.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

@Kyllorac Yeah, it’s wierd. For some reason, in the file itself it’s antialiased, but when I saved it it went all wierd. I’ll give the feathering a shot, though.

Also, yeah, making the mic a white silhouette instead won’t be an issue. I could get rid of it altogether and just put a circle in the middle so it looks more like a legit record, if people want.

I could get rid of it altogether and just put a circle in the middle so it looks more like a legit record, if people want.

No! I like the mic (in silhouette form, that is)!

I like all of your covers, actually. I think I agree that the third one is cool because of the record-look, though. I like the first one a lot too. And the second one has a nice color scheme (the II color scheme).

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

The anti-aliasing didn’t work because the image is a .gif; they can’t handle transparency.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

Though I do like the first. But I’ve always been partial to blues and anything with blues.

I think that’s my second favourite. If the third didn’t look like a record, I think I’d pick it as I like the atmosphere of nightsky, moon, and silhouette crows.

Oh, and definitely don’t get rid of the microphone, silhouetted might be better, but I think as is would be better than without the mike altogether.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

The anti-aliasing didn’t work because the image is a .gif; they can’t handle transparency.

.gifs can totally handle transparency. You wouldn’t be able to animate .gifs otherwise.

Save it as a .png! That’s the easiest way to get around anti-aliasing messes.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Sorry, not transparency. I’m actually not sure what the proper term is, but .gifs basically can’t handle non-opaque colors; they either have to be solid or invisible.

(Also, at least on GIMP, animation is done using different layers, so transparency isn’t the issue.)

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

See if you can put a skin on the mic using GIMP’s pre-loaded tools. Like cartoon or oil painting or watercolor or something. I like the texture and color but it needs to be less realistic-looking, like Falling said.

Like cartoon or oil painting or watercolor or something. I like the texture and color but it needs to be less realistic-looking, like Falling said.

I agree. I think a more stylized microphone would look pretty cool (and would look better than just a silhouette).

I like the first, too. And the second as a completely white background ties in nicely with ‘the same but different’ for the cover art used for the first episode.

Not that I don’t like the third, either.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012 edited

Okay, since the general consensus is between these two, here the edits are. Mind, for whatever reason, I couldn’t find a decent looking stylized normal mic, so I went with a different one altogether. I do think the new mic just looks better. Also, as you can see, saving as PNG did the trick on the circle, so thanks to Kyllorac. What’s sad is that I had already saved the white one as png, but you couldn’t even see it…

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012

I don’t know about you guys, but I think that looks really great. Nice work, Beldam. :)

• CommentAuthorSen

This mic is certainly better. And the second one has a really beautiful background. But I guess the mic goes better with the record than with a night sky.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012 edited

I don’t know about you guys, but I think that looks really great. Nice work, Beldam. :)

Thank you! It occurs to me I should actually thank all you guys for suggesting the change to begin with. Good eye, guys!

In other news, I ended up caving and doing the white one too. So it’s all up to you guys now.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

I love both of them. Maybe a slight preference for the first one. But changing the mic made a huge difference.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

I love the second one.
    Just chucking my vote in.

I actually really like the one with the white background, although the black background also looks great. I love the moon, but it doesn’t work with the mic (which I also think looks great).

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

Awesome! I don’t even know anymore, they’re both so great. I abstain. :)

For the third one- did you use the forum background colour originally?

Thank you for creating these.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012

Aw, thanks guys :)

@ Falling, I did indeed, though accidentally. I decided to make it plain white instead, just for the sake of visibility, you know.

I love the white one, though the black one is a close second fave.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

The black and white ones are just perfect. Love the new mic. It just fits so perfectly with the typeface and overall feel.

...any comments on the new intro? Or does everyone hate it and has a general consensus not to talk about it?

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I didn’t listen to it because I figured I’d just wait for the podcast.

Sounds pretty good to me!

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012 edited

Yeah I wasn’t going to bother with megaupload until the actual podcast came out.

I finally listened. I like it. But shouldn’t the intro say something about Impish in it?

Also, I think both of the swears were from me… sheepish

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Man, you guys sound so… young.

Saith the second (?) youngest person here :P

Steph, can has podcast now?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Actually, there are quite a few people who are younger than me here. :P

But anyway, we should publish the second episode and get to work on the third.

bq. Actually, there are quite a few people who are younger than me here.

Dude, you're like, twelve.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012 edited

Edit
    nvm, confusion.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012

I remember someone telling me that Puppet’s, like, seventeen now. Or something.
    Never mind.

Dude, you’re like, twelve.

Bwahahaha

He’s definitely not 17, because that’s how old I am and he’s younger than me by at least a year. My guess is 15.

But anyway, we should publish the second episode and get to work on the third.

Puppet, there is a lot of work that goes into deciding the topics, getting the right people with the most to say (and making sure that I include new people who want to do this and that the group I choose all have a fair amount to say on the two chosen topics), making sure they’re all ready to go, and co-ordinating a time and date to Skype that will work for people spread across 16 time zones and who have varying schedules in the week. And that’s all before we even start talking.

Currently, I’m waiting for the transcript of the second episode and have just settled on the right combination of topics and people for episode 3. We are now working on getting the right time together. I wanted to record it this week, but we have some clashing dates, and since I’m no longer working casual hours, my schedule is not as accomodating as it was last year. It has to be recorded around a weekend, so that pushes recording date back at least another five days. And communication itself is a slow process, as we all have internet access at different times of day, even if some people are in the same time zone.

It’ll happen, but it’s slow going, and with a different cast for every episode the time taken will vary by a lot of factors depending on the people involved, their schedules, and any technical problems (eg malfunctioning microphones, computer or recording problems, etc). Just a fact.

Please trust that I am actually working on this, that I know what I’m doing, and if I don’t I will ask for help and try to correct stuff as quickly as possible. I thinkg about this thing at least five times a day. It’s not languishing on a backburner. This process will get faster because I’m learning as I’m going, am still learning to push through the lack of momentum that sometimes happens due to the above factors, and only have one episode on the go at a time. But even once I get a good flow going and start editing an old one and organising a new one at the same time this process will never be instantaneous. I’ve been doing this kind of thing for over a year, and let me tell you, the amount of work that goes into co-ordinating, shooting and editing a clear and concise five-minute information video every single week is a lot, but if it’s localised it can be done in a week. This by comparison, is nowhere near as small. It has several components and relies on the co-operation of people across the globe, not within a four-to-five kilometre radius. It cannot be done in a week, every week.

Finally, Episode 2 will be published when it is publishable. At the moment it isn’t, because it’s missing a transcript (no pressure on Thea). We need to consider that we have at least two hearing-impaired regular members and it’s not fair to bring out something that isn’t accessible to them and it has the added factor of making everything we’ve said searchable and more easily accessible. I know it has been a while since it was last mentioned here, but consider that it has been delayed nearly a month because I had no internet access and so no way to upload the final edit, which I did on the second and third days of my holiday.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

Steph’s on the ball, guys! I think all of us are really eager to see what’s up on the new cast, but it’s not like that means we’re expecting you to go beyond your limits, especially when you’re putting so much effort into it as it is. I, for one, am content to wait a little longer, because now that the first one’s out, I don’t have any lingering worry that there’ll be a sudden spanner in the works somewhere, so whatever the case may be in terms of timing, I know everyone involved with the cast really knows what they’re doing now and I trust them. We’re rooting for you!

...I’m so sorry, Puppet. I’ve been in a bad mood for no reason at all yesterday, and everything from cars not starting for four times in one day to budgies landing on a cup I was trying to drink from just irritated the heck out of me. Then along comes a random, only slightly cavalier post and I just went off.

That wasn’t fair on you at all. For all you knew I was just sitting on everything because I couldn’t be bothered—which I was doing for a brief time during episode one, so if you thought that you had some precedence there.

I turned into somebody who, amongst other things, rubs their experience in someone else’s face and talks down to them, and I’m really sorry for doing that. That wasn’t nice at all, and you didn’t deserve it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Nah, it’s my fault. I think we’re all excited for the next episode of the podcast, but the way I worded my post put a lot of pressure on you. We all appreciate you taking the initiative and organizing this whole thing, Steph. I should have been more clear and precise in my post and I came off as a bit of an jerk, I apologize. What I meant to say was that I, and many other Imps, all greatly enjoyed the first episode and eagerly await the next episode. That said, don’t overwork yourself. :P

Hugs?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yes. :D hugs

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

Yay!
    For some more somber news… we were using MegaUploader right? Because I think that just got taken out. At least that’s what this discussion is on Team Liquid.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

Clicking the MegaUpload link above would seem to confirm that.

• CommentTimeJan 20th 2012

Dude, just stick the audio file on Movie Maker, add a blank screen, and boom! Youtube upload. Yeah, it’ll take several youtube videos, but it’ll be easier and more permanent than megaupload.