Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

So here we go. Post any writing contests or anthologies and magazines that accept submissions, that you find out about. Links are necessary. General rules, genre, and deadlines would also be handy.

How does this thread not already exist?

L. Ron Hubbard’s Writers of the Future Contest:

Information/Rules
    Genre: Sci-Fi/Fantasy
    Deadline: It’s pretty much throughout the year in ‘quarters’.
    Word Limit: 17,000

EDIT: I stickied this thread so it wouldn’t get lost in the pit, but now it’s above Feedback, Article Alert, and FAQ, which is royally bugging me. Is there any way to switch the order? Also, for anyone who’s interested in the L. Ron Hubbard contest, the new quarter begins July 1 and runs until September 30- plenty of time, I think. I’ve decided that I myself will skip the June deadline and spend more time making my short story as good as possible.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011

I think the order of stickied threads is dependent on what’s posted in last.

Oh well.

Hey Publisher. is a site that seems to service writers and also collects information about contests.

Marion Zimmer Bradley’s Sword and Sorceress annual anthology
    Genre: Fantasy; more specifically, sword and sorcery.
    Reading Period: mid-April to mid-May, so it’s closed for 2011, but there’s always next year…
    Word Limit: up to 9 000 words, preference given to shorter stories.

Oooh, the MZB one sounds interesting for next year! Favorited. (Although I can’t help remembering that horrible book that falconempress sporked…)

Double-post:

Teen Ink Contests

The site itself allows teens to submit to their print magazine, which I’m considering.

Not really a contest but what ever happened to the July writing month thing? Nobody seems to be talking about it or taking part in it right now. It’s kind of pointless for me to do it now but I might try to force myself to write anyway.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2011

Can I be a punk about the MZB anthology? It’s a great anthology, and anybody who is thinking about submitting to it definitely should, but I have a word of warning: the rejection letters are a little uh . . . brusque. I’m pretty used to rejection letters, but this one made me roll my eyes. They held my story for a couple of months for final consideration (no problems there, they need plenty of time to consider), but when they rejected it, my rejection went like this: “I really like this story, and I hoped that I’d be able to include it in the anthology. Unfortunately, I have many stories that are better than this, and I can’t fit this one in. Try it on another market.” It’s certainly not the worst rejection I’ve received, but considering that my story made it to the final step of consideration, I had expected something a bit more along the lines of: “Thank you for letting us consider your story. Unfortunately, we have not selected it for inclusion in this publication.” I had not expected to be reminded that a lot of other people can write better than me. Normally, that’s implied in the rejection, it isn’t something I need spelled out.

I really like this story, and I hoped that I’d be able to include it in the anthology. Unfortunately, I have many stories that are better than this, and I can’t fit this one in. Try it on another market.

That’s rather snotty and unprofessional.

As for JulNoWriMo, I couldn’t this year because of camp.

Dunno if this has been talked about or not but I just discovered this Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Contest. 50,000-150,000 words. Unpublished or self-published. The categories are young adult and general fiction. Ends Feb 5 so there’s no way I could finish a book in time. First 5,000 or something entries get in so Feb 5 isn’t necessarily the ending date. Winner gets the book published by Penguin with a $15,000 advance.

First round they judge your 300 word pitch. The winners of that actually get the actual book judged or maybe first they judge the first 5,000 words then the next round its the actual book. If you want more accurate information then obviously go to the website

There might be a better thread for it but I think it’d be fun and interesting for everyone to write a 300 word pitch for one of their main stories. I did mine for the sake of it but it could use some work.