Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2012

Nope.

Yeah. The pu-ryo combination is pretty unpronounceable.

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2012

There’s nothing phonotactically wrong with puryo, perfectly cromulent Japanese :) I’d just expect it to end up as Puraiotora regardless of its (English) pronunciation.

There’s nothing phonotactically wrong with puryo, perfectly cromulent Japanese :)

Isn’t he Ponyo’s little brother?

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012

I haven’t seen that movie in a couple of years, but it is cutesy enough to be Ponyo-related :p

Maybe it’s the Kamen Rider talking, but I keep misreading it as Putotyra.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012

Well, I just had an interesting conversation with my mother about various things, and one of the topics covered wound up being how “Pryotra” would be pronounced.

Pyo-to-ra is the more likely form. Pu-ri-o-to-ra is also possible. Pu-ryo-to-ra is not since the pu-ryo combination is too awkward to say (and doesn’t occur in Japanese, as far as my mother can recall).

My mother’s reaction was really funny when I said “puryo” by the way. She just looked at me like I’d grown a third head and said “What?”

Also, Pyo-to-ra comes out to mean something like “(bird sound) tiger”, so Pryotra, you shall forever be a chirping tiger in my mind.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012

...BWAHAHAHA!

ahem

I’ve so got to have that as the picture of my profile page.