Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Well, I’ve been lurking for quite while now, haven’t I? Anyway, it just seems to me that there has been a lack of articles to browse lately. Besides the Gold of Ophir sporking.

Not that the spork is a bad thing, but I can only take so much of Tesch at one time.

I agree…but I don’t really have anything to write about. I mean, I finished reading over a draft, and now have no time to write another one. That is pretty much the story of my entire life.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2011 edited

I’m waiting on a friend to finish part 3, then I’m posting a big three-part critique thing.

Also, if you want to see more articles, why don’t you write one? Sitting around complaining about the lack of articles isn’t going to solve anything.

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2011

I’m working on an article called “How To Write A Fantasy Novel”.

It’s full of sarcastic advice that’s very bad, but hey, it’s a change from Tesch!

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel

I have grammar and linguistics on the brain and fully expected this to be related to a lack of definite and indefinite articles somehow.

spoiler: apparently not D:

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

apparently there’s a lack of both, anyway.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Hm-hm. I think I should come out of retirement this summer. My day job is boring enough that I could probably write articles at work.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2011

Haha, Leliel, I kinda thought the same thing at first too!

I’ve been thinking of trying my hand at a sporking, or maybe a serious review, but nothing good has come to mind. I started one of the first Ranger’s Apprentice book, but it’s really not all that bad, and I lost steam after the first couple of chapters… and considering how quickly I can lose steam with these sorts of things, I would have to have at least half of it done before I would even consider submitting it. Otherwise I’d never finish it!

Since I’m going to be reading a buttload of books for AP Lit, I would really like to do reviews commenting on my opinion of the writing of specific books I’m reading at the time. However, that would take up time I’m not sure I have for next year, so it might be an on-off kind of thing. Would anyone be interested in hearing my random opinions?

Would anyone be interested in hearing my random opinions?

Sure. I like random opinions.

There are a couple of articles pending that should go live soon. I’m working on more HP Adapt of Die stuff, and I have ideas for other articles that are not related to that.

I could stop posting my “Writing Talk” articles on my blog and start cross posting them here.

Though I’m working on a big “political how-to” one…

Also, T&P… how eager would you be to do that???

T+P?

T+P?

Twilight and Philosophy.

Ah.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011

Alternately, Terror and Punishment.

I now have an article of Twilight & Philosophy 12 pending.

Falconempress also has a pending one and Asahel has the first two parts of a little project waiting.

So… not sure if it’s a lack of articles you should be complaining about. ;-)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2011

Awesome!

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2011

Fffffail. I really should have been approving articles.

On that note, anyone feel like becoming a managing editor?

On that note, anyone feel like becoming a managing editor?

What do managing editors do?

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011

I was wondering that, too. I’m spend way too much time on here, so I wouldn’t mind if I knew what they’re supposed to do.

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach

This.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011 edited

Basically, there are a variety of articles that might be pending. As managing editor your job would be to read through them, make sure no glaring errors exist (clean up any typos or minor grammatical errors, but you don’t need to act as a full blown copy editor), make sure that the Textile formatting is correct, and then change the article status from Pending to Live.

And if the site has been going through a slow period, then moderate the rate of posting so that an article appears every two to three days. One day having articles daily would be lovely.

Indeed.

For what it's worth I tried submitting an article but it fell through because of formatting issues.

I’m working on chapter 1 of my My Immortal analysis, although that might end up here instead of on the main site…

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach

I’d like to be a managing editor.

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian

I wouldn’t mind being one. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@Klutor – brave man. Considering the subject matter, I think I can understand why it would end up here!

I’d just advise to not release the latest T&P unless we have other articles ready to follow it up just because…

Man I’m willing to take on Klutor (sporking My Immortal) AND Falconempress’ (Assling series sporks) in the badness department.

It’s so bad we’ll need something fluffy and fun to wash the taste from our mouths.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Hoh boy. That does not sound good. It can’t possibly be as bad as Chapter Ten, the Chapter That Cannot Be Sporked, can it?

I would also like to be a managing editor. I check to see what’s pending all the time anyway.

Hoh boy. That does not sound good. It can’t possibly be as bad as Chapter Ten, the Chapter That Cannot Be Sporked, can it?

Actually… yes – one part of me is sad I already “blew the joke” on chapter 10 and wished I had saved it for this one, but since I hadn’t, I soldiered on.

The worst part of ten was actually that it was so mediocre, there was no way to spork it without bringing down a bunch of offense. So I had to invent a third option.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011

It’s so bad we’ll need something fluffy and fun to wash the taste from our mouths.

Something like jokes, funny drawings, etc.? Like what Kitty did?

Something like jokes, funny drawings, etc.? Like what Kitty did?

Something like – ANYTHING else. (other sporks…. asahel’s story… videos of puppies being kicked… anything)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011

Will not click link, will not click link… gahhh, I hate you, Nate! clicks link to TVTropes, knowing full well how foolish she’s being

Will not click link, will not click link… gahhh, I hate you, Nate!

No you don’t. ;-) You hate the fact that you love me. XD

brave man

No. Not brave. Insane.

sporking My Immortal

It’s an analysis, Nate. Like I say in my introduction: “This is not a spork,” Cause MI has been sporked too many times already (not saying those sporks weren’t funny, cause they were, but still).

I’m analysing it in an way that can almost be described as Cracked-esque crossed with Overthinking It-esque. I’m linking it to HP canon, to Twilight, to fairytales, to movies, to classic literature, to fanfic, to writing in general, to real life and to subliminal codes, messages and predictions.
    The one question I’m not answering is “Troll or genuine?” – I have my own beliefs, but they’re continuously challenged as I go through the stuff.

Either way, I’ve already gained some remarkable hidden info in Chapter the First.

Also, re: Actual Sporkings – I’ve been considering sporking the very first story I ever wrote ever. Myself. Good idea or not?

Poor poor Klutor…

Lmao.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011

......Aaaaaand now I’m picturing a Musical Episode of SPN in which Ruby sings to Sam “I’ll be your substitute/whenever you need meeeeeeee…”

Also, do you jokers think it’s a good idea for me to spork my first piece of crap?
    It’s horrible, but it’s still way better than Maradonia – although I realize that that’s not saying much.

I think that would be awesome, personally. It shows self-critique in action.

Also, because I just can’t leave Twilight alone, I’m working on an article detailing where the filmmakers of Eclipse went wrong/were let down by Bella Swan. I just have to provide the finishing touches. And I’m working on a few other Twilight-y things.

It shows self-critique in action.

Cool. :-D
    I’ll get started on it, then. Wrote it at age 13-14.
    Also, it’s horrible, but I’ve said that already.

because I just can’t leave Twilight alone

You and me both. My new WiP is, according to my planning so far, going to have an episode In Which Twilight Is Viciously Deconstructed. Also, I love throwing subtle TakeThats into other episodes as well.
    Because SMeyer can’t outrun me.
    Or fight me off.
    ;-)

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2011

I’ve been looking for an article on II about general info-dumping, but all I got was info-dumping in dialogue and showing versus telling, which is sort of related to info-dumping but not really.

Is there an article on info-dumping? Or can someone create one?

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

I do not see one. I have the urge to write one. We shall see…

What would you like to see addressed in an article on info-dumping?

• CommentAuthorNo One

“How do you solve the problem of info-dumping?” immediately comes to mind. :)

^Agreed.

Also, I’m kinda itching to write an article about – waaaaaaaait for it – avoiding Mary Sues, cause I honestly believe that not everything that can be said on that subject has been said. Actually, it’s more a case of original fiction MS litmus tests bothering me because I think their focus is off.