Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I am writing a story at the moment and I want to kill of a charactor. I have tried to kill someone before and failed misrabely.

Can anyone help me?

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2011

Kill them messily.

Murder is preferable. Giving them a horrible disease just seems melodramatic and gives them time to mug around for pages, garnering way too much sympathy. Have them get shot by a mugger, bleed out in the streets, and the cops never find the perp.

Note: you may need to tweak the above paragraph if it’s a medieval fantasy.

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011 edited

What exactly do you need help with? Do you want help on how exactly to go about killing them? Is there some sort of emotion you want to go for? What? You should probably add a bit more information about the story in question, and the character who you want to kill.

EDIT: Maybe you need to distance yourself from your characters more. A lot of writers who see the characters as children or whatever find it harder to do what the plot calls for.

How important is he/she to the story? Why do you want to kill a character? And how did you “fail miserabely” before? I mean, I kill people off all the time, but how the scene plays out depends on the emotion. But you shouldn’t just kill someone for the sake of wanting to kill a character. the death should serve some point.

I agree with those asking for more information. Nobody can really give you any worthwhile advice on anything specific unless we actually have specifics. I’ll say this: Don’t just kill a character for shock value or because you feel like you have to. Like pretty much everything in fiction, it needs to serve some kind of purpose. What is your purpose?

The story is a fantasy/modurn/surburbia sort of thing and it is a main charactor that is going to die.
    I have tried to kill of other people and have not been inspired and what I have written has been sucky. I am at school but when I can find it I will post one of my attempts at murders.
    I want to kill him because the story is in a bit of a lull and I need something shocking to spice it up. What I am really going for is the end of the wold sort of thing. I kina dont want a happy ending for this story because there has been a few fortunate turns. I am thinking of writing a sequel though.

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011

I have tried to kill of other people and have not been inspired and what I have written has been sucky. I am at school but when I can find it I will post one of my attempts at murders.

Do you mean that you aren’t good at writing the deaths of your characters? Not that you can’t bring yourself to, but that you just find it difficult to?

Personally, I think that if the plot doesn’t call for this character being killed it’d be sort of unnecessary. Is the death of this character supposed to move another character’s development, does it add greater conflict with the other characters at the loss of this character? Does it move the plot forward or does it halt it?

I am not good at writing the deaths of my characters. The death will move the plot forward because they are having trouble and their is existing conflict in the group and I want it to rise to a boil and a fight scene where they are injured and go their separate ways. It moves the plot and gives me different lines to follow along. I am not sure if I want them to meet up again afterward but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

I want to kill him because the story is in a bit of a lull and I need something shocking to spice it up

Don’t do this. You said he’s your main character, so I wouldn’t kill him off just for shock value. His death (if you do kill him, which I don’t reccomend because honestly killing off THE MAIN CHARACTER is kind of depressing and draining to read), should be more meaningful, since the reader has probably spent the most time with him.

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2011

I am not good at writing the deaths of my characters.

Maybe you could post an excerpt of how you’ve killed other characters previously. Though, I wouldn’t worry about it too much, I’m really bad at dialogue, but it’s easier if you just write and then analyze what you did wrong after you’re already done with it.

On the “to kill or not to kill” it’s really up to you whether you kill this character or not, and if you want a story with a sort of bitter/sad ending then that would definitely contribute to it. It serves some purpose and really, I don’t have a problem with doing things for the shock value so long as it’s more to shock the other characters than the audience.

You said he’s your main character

She said he was a main character, not the main character. I made the same mistake when I skimmed over the comment. If it actually is the main character, then I agree, that she shouldn’t kill him.

I don’t have a problem with doing things for the shock value so long as it’s more to shock the other characters than the audience.

This. I’ve found that killing characters really does help in when there’s a lull in the story because then you get to deal with all the other characters’ reactions to the death, which gives you a lot to work with and should help to move your plot along.

Are you just having trouble writing the killing itself? If so, you could just have them die offpage and have the other characters find out about it after the fact.

Also, [obligatory warning regarding using character death just to spur action, probably using the Jesse Pinkman character in Breaking Bad as an example.]

Jesse Pinkman character in Breaking Bad

Are you talking about Jane or the cliffhanger ending of the last season?

No, just referencing that the original plan was to kill Pinkman off in the first episode, but Aaron Paul did such a good job that they decided to let the character live and see what happened, and in many ways Pinkman’s turned into the beating little heart of the show. Would it have raised the stakes and/or been shocking if they’d killed him right away? Sure, but it probably wouldn’t have been a great long-term choice, seeing the way things turned out with him alive.

Wow, I did not know that…. I’m really glad they didn’t kill him. He’s so good, and the show wouldn’t have been the same without him.

Personally, I’m all for killing off characters, provided they still have influence post-death.
    Killing of minor side-characters isn’t really ‘killing’ per-say as they are usually developed little.

I feel that deaths can redeem certain characters, or in some cases make them more memorable and impact-ful(?).

I feel ‘shock’ deaths are good when they genuinely are a shock. Deaths that can be seen from miles away but occur suddenly rarely carry much shock value.
    Building up to the death of a ‘doomed’ character can be really powerful if done well.
    I feel the ‘shock’ of a main character’s death comes primarily if (a) the character is important to the story in a development perspective (the character is in for a lot of development and learning and is not a old veteran/wise-man/overpowered fellow), (b) the character blatantly fails at his/her goals and dies before accomplishing much, (c) Kill the Cutie.

I think the most important part of a death is its long-term effects and the changes on the surviving cast. A death without any far-reaching effects and consequence is generally pointless and kills the character (no pun intended).

Sorry for any redundancy/bad english/ etc. I’m multi-tasking >_>

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2011

I am coming in on the side of do not kill a main character because there is a lull in the action. Kill a character because that is where his path took him. For myself, I see my characters as people who have lives that existed even before my story – they are all there because a choice they made in their lives brought them into my story. If a character has made a choice that could lead to him being killed, then there is the option of letting that scenario play out. But killing a character in order to reanimate the plot is often times like doing a shot of heroin: it’ll mess with the senses for a short time, but has it fixed anything in the long term?

I really think that even if I don’t kill the character in this particular story it would still be a helpful skill to know.

I was a bit hesitant to kill the character but really I have built him up so much to be this center of awesomeness that there is really no other place for him to go. He originally was a guard when a castle fell down and he ran into the forest and intercepts the princess who was running away at the time but does not tell her that her family has died. He is in a hurry to get to a mysterious place where in reality he wants to go there to be knighted as some ‘hero’ for saving the princess from the collapsing castle but goes through sappy changes on the journey. The princess is falling in love blah blah blah normal horrible story plot line.

At least I think that’s whats happening.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011

I admit it’s difficult to properly kill a character; one wants to have it be meaningful without making it eye-rollingly sentimental. I suppose my first question is: What is the age group of your audience? That answer helps determine how to handle the scene. If the audience is teens or adults, you can use more of the “gory” details about death than if this is for young readers.

Up above you said, “...I want it to rise to a boil and a fight scene where they are injured and go their separate ways.” So my next question: Do you want the character to die from his wounds from that fight, or does he die from something else as a consequence of setting out by himself?

Sorry if I don’t seem to be much help, but I just want to make sure we’re on the same page so I’m not giving you advice for the totally wrong scenario.

Well I have not decided, but I am thinking that he dies as a result of the injuries, but could have been saved if he stayed, the rest of the group stumble on his corpse and blame themselves. I am looking at a 12+ age range.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011

OK. Since the age range is 12+, you probably don’t need to be as vague as for younger readers. Now much of the following will also depend upon your writing style. If you have a story that utilizes alternating view points between characters – whether first person or third person – you can opt to follow the dying character so that the reader sees his last thoughts and experiences the agony of his injuries as he struggles onward. On the plus side, this can give the reader a very powerful final look at the character as he faces suffering and death all alone. On the downside, it can also become melodramatic and wangsty.

You can also go with the suggestion from one of the other members that you handle this off stage – the last living glimpse the other characters have of the dying man is him staggering away into the shadows. The pro to this is you do not have to narrate a death scene. The con is that you are missing a chance for a very powerful display of character. Also, you would have to address why his companions let him go off on his own if he’s mortally hurt. Generally, no matter how pissed people are, they don’t let comrades in arms go staggering away.

I hope this has helped you in some way. For myself, if I am killing a main character, I like to show the death. I would recommend letting the story focus on the dying character (again, depending on the narration view point of the story) as he sets off first in anger and then giving way to fear and/or determination and possibly regret. Be matter-of-fact in the descriptions and word choice; remember, this should reflect a dying man, and people rarely wax poetic as they die alone and in agony.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Thankyou