Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCurly
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2011 edited

In retrospect, please delete this. It’s not important or interesting.
    Hello.
    Firstly: CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP my computer just shut down and now I have to type the whole frigging thing out again. Bloody hell.
    Okay.
    1) I haven’t read the comics, so don’t go Oh they had to do it that’s in the comic. I don’t care, that’s not the point.
    2) It is irritating typing this out again, I’ll tell you that much.
    3) This isn’t to do with movies, per se, but about the story and writing so it’s sorta relevant (right? RIGHT?)
    4) If it’s not, or I am breaching copyright or whatever, just tear it down, like an echidna.
    5) Yeah, spoilers alert. Congratulations.
    Okay, so I just finished watching the movie Thor. Apart from a slight pause to wolf-whistle at Chris Hemworth’s hot bod, it held my attention throughout.. And don’t get me wrong, it was a damn good film.
    But I am so frustrated at the Typical Villain that is now used in most movies. Yeah, they went halfway to a unique motive, but I wanted the satisfaction of a full surprise and the smugness of being right. Yeah this is brusque, isn’t it? And what am I talking about? READ ON. OWARDS.

So what am I rambling about?

So, basically, Loki is the bad guy in this film. He’s Thor’s bro, and obviously set up to be the bad guy as he’s probably jealous of Thor, who is going to be King. Here’s a reasonably brief lowdown: Thor and Loki are brothers, son of Odin, king of Viking Planet Place. The Ice Planet Guys, on the other hand, are Evil. Why? Just Because. So briefly: At Thor’s coronation, Ice guys attack, Thor goes to Ice Planet (with his friends AND LOKI, which is crucial. He is helping, he is part of their group) And basically he’s a bit of a blonde and starts a war with the Ice People by breaking a Truce thingy. He gets banished to Earth by Odin for being such an idiot, and Loki is sad. Two important points: Loki obviously really likes his brother, and is a Silvertongue. Apparently. We haven’t seen this yet. Now, Odin goes into a Coma and reveals Loki is actually the son of King Ice Guy. Loki is distraught (both because of being Ice Guy and the Coma) and is made king temporarily. Thor’s friends just go “Oh Loki must have let the Ice Guys in at the coronation because he looks funny (not really,but he does. The ysuspect him because he’s a magician and apparently they don’t like him now, even though they were friends five minutes ago.)” Now Loki goes to Ice King and says,” I let you in at the coronation because I don’t like Thor, and I will let you in again to kill Odin and destroy the Kingdom, blah blah”. Here everyone in the audience goes “Oh he’s Evil.” I, however, went “Hold on, he’s a silvertongue, he is doing this to be a Good Guy and lure them in, he didn’t actually let them in last time, he’s lying. Ha I’m smarter than everyone else” Then Loki stops Thor’s return in a variety of ways, to which I thought “Fair enough, Thor is a danger to the Kingdom (as shown earlier, by recklessly starting a war) and this is for everyone’s good.” I am rambling a bit, so basically, in the end. I was half right. Loki did lure them in to gain his dad’s approval, and killed the King Ice Guy , so he’s sort of a good guy. But then he says he’s always been jealous of Thor and battles him.

Sorry about the ramble there. See the movie to know what I’m on about.

Here is my gripe: I wanted Loki to be a good guy. I knew he was slightly jealous of Thor, but throughout the WHOLE MOVIE there is NO SIGN of him not liking Thor until he closes the Portal Thingy to stop him coming back and tries to kill him various times. It just comes completely out of the blue. I was right about the Silvertongue bit, but… Geez, it’s hard to describe. He tries to KILL his brother when Thor is unwilling to fight. He let the Ice Guys in during the coronation because he didn’t like Thor. But he LOVED HIM. There was no sign, not even a slight narrowing of the eyes, ANYTHING, to show he didn’t like Thor before this. He tries to destroy the ice planet. He does a few good things, but he’s all psycho and evil and stuff at the end, when he was normal and calm at the start. Throughout the whole movie I was convinced he was working for the greater good, and would let Thor back in afterwards, and all was well. Most importantly, there was plenty of evidence until about two thirds of the way through to support this. Even when he sent a robot to kill Thor on earth, it was arguably for The Greater Good (hooray, Grindelwald!) to kill Thor because he was a threat to the kingdom. He seemed alright, but everyone said, Oh He Is Evil, and he ended up being that. It was so clichéd, there was EVIDENCE that he was on the right side, but they only used half of it, so eventually he was Misguided And Sorta Good But Evil. It was so irritating! They had the perfect opportunity to utilise all the Red Herrings, all the evidence, and completely turn the movie on its head. But they only did a 180 instead of going all the way.
    . Maybe this was part of the comics, I dunno. But the main point of all of this is that no-one is willing to get out of the Stereotypical Bad Guy mould and actually do something different. That is why I am so disappointed. There was awesome potential here, and I could see it, but apparently no-one else could. In short: I was disappointed because I thought they were going to do something different.

PS Maybe it’s part of mythology; maybe I’m missing the point. The main reason I wrote this is that there was so much potential to break the mould, to have a fresh, new take on things, but on-one does it. Hopefully one day they will.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2011 edited

...I honestly thought this movie didn’t come out until May. ARGH!

I’ll read this after I see it, because I don’t want anything spoiled for me!

EDIT: OK, so it doesn’t come on in the US until May. Really? Something came out in Australia before the US? That’s… well, I know how you guys feel about a lot of stuff now! We even get Doctor Who at the same time as the UK now and everything.