Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Do you feel that it’s better to be ambitious in your writing and ideas, perhaps beyond your current skill level, or do you think that it’s better to perfect what you can do right now?

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2011

Hmm, can you have in-between? Like, you’re trying to perfect what you can do right now, but at the same time you’re going a little beyond your current skill level, to try and continue to improve in your writing and ideas?

Or you perfect what you can do right now, and then improve on that?

Well, yeah, there’s always a middle ground. But I find I’m always veering to one extreme.

The best suggestion I can come up with is to do your reaching during the initial drafting and such, so you can get a grasp on what you’re in range of and what you aren’t. If something you’re trying doesn’t work yet, but you feel like it’s close, I’d say keep striving for it. If you aren’t close, or you just can’t get it to come together for some reason, it might be time to just scale back to something you know you can do, at least in regards to specific aspects you can’t get to work.

I don’t think you should ever start writing something with the intention to coast on what you know you can already do. If you’re a real writer, you won’t be able to let yourself settle from right out the gate. At least, that’s how I always end up feeling.

Hmm. I’ve over-reached and failed before.

I think you need to find a middle ground—find something that’s a little bit out of your comfort zone, and go for it. I think you can get exponentially more ambitious as you get further along the skill ladder and complete more things.