Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2011

So how much do you describe your characters? Do you toss off a few references here and there, or go into a longer description? Do you ever use poetic terms or not? And how do you handle characters who really are beautiful?
    And sometimes, I think its easier to describe characters who aren’t. I know that my pale, foxish faced prophet with the perpetually grumpy expression comes a lot clearer into my mind than the beautiful heroine. I’m trying to keep her appearance from being Tall Slender Generic Gorgeous Blonde, but its hard.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2011

I find that this article Description Without Describing to be very helpful when it comes to character description. :) Lccorp2 is really good.

Okay, I’ll preface this by saying I have some very specific preferences, and things I say here aren’t intended to be read as The One Right Way(although obviously I think it’s the best way).

So how much do you describe your characters?

Not a whole hell of a lot I don’t think, but I hate writing description anyway and try to avoid it when I can. It depends entirely on the viewpoint character(yes, even in third person I think the narrative content should reflect the character’s PoV and omniscient is a crappy way to do it). So if Female Lead tends to notice things like hair and eye color, facial features, unusual clothing and such, then those are the terms with which I try to limit myself to using. If Male Lead tends to notice things like posture, style of movement, height, weight, age, attitude, then I go with those.

Do you toss off a few references here and there, or go into a longer description?

I think I only have a few descriptive sections that go more than a couple of sentences in my novel, and it generally only happens with meaningful characters with specific symbolic visual designs that I want the reader to know. Other than that, I’ll toss in tidbits from time to time if I think it helps out the sentence or the imagery really requires that you remember that Male Lead’s eyes are, in fact, gray.

I also almost never describe a character in their own PoV. I think there’s maybe one exception to this in 500+ pages, and it’s right at the beginning telling you Female Lead’s hair is red as she brushes some of it out of her face. It just feels tacky otherwise, because people don’t think of their own appearances in the terms we use to describe others, you know?

Do you ever use poetic terms or not?

Very, very rarely, if at all. If I do, it’s for something very specific like telling the reader how the PoV character is feeling without saying it outright, rather than just wowing the reader with my awesome description skillz and painting them a pretty picture. The thing about trying to be poetic is that you have to do it right, or you turn something that would otherwise be mundane and overlookable into something dumb and cringe-inducing.

And how do you handle characters who really are beautiful?

Mostly I try to show it in the behavior of other characters, and I don’t mean shit like having them so OH YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL. I mean really trying to get your people to act like they would really act if they were dealing with a pretty lady, because really, isn’t that the whole point of your character being beautiful or not? How it affects other characters? It’s not like it has any other value as far as storytelling utility goes.

My female lead is a real knockout, but you’d never get that just from reading the descriptions of her. She doesn’t dwell on her own attractiveness, and Male Lead’s PoVs never make mention of it except for a few lines about two thirds of the way through(which are treated as somewhat revelatory), but skeezy men are always leering at her, and non-skeezy men tend to be polite with her even when it’s not super necessary, and Dashing Rogue gets heavily flirtatious with her, so you can figure it out if you’re paying a little attention.

Anyway, I’ll tell you what I do hate.:

Description that attempts to use the explanation of basic physical traits to the reader as a half-assed backdoor to characterization. Idiotic things like “intelligent eyes” and such. There’s no time that doesn’t sound not stupid.

Also, description that’s ostensibly written from omniscient PoV(which I already don’t like) and tries to tell me subjective things about the character as if they were objective fact. Telling me a character is gorgeous is dumb, unless that’s your PoV’s opinion. If it isn’t, just describe the character using fair terms and I’ll be the judge of whether or not they sound hot. This is the same sort of shit I hate when lazy writers tell me a character’s personality traits through exposition and statement, which is terrible writing and insults the reader’s intelligence.

So yeah, that’s how I feel about it.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2011

About the most poetic I’ve ever gotten with physical description was “his eyes had the fanatical gleam of the recently converted”. I tend to leave most of the physical description to the imagination. I’ll describe a few key features such as hair, eyes and posture, but then it’s the reader’s turn to fill in from there. Most of us won’t be able to picture someone described in too much detail or even remember it anyway, judging from police sketches from witness descriptions.

• CommentAuthorDeborah

Thanks! I especially like the idea of showing her beauty by how the other characters react.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I am the perfect storm of “bad at description” and “hates the way it’s done in most books anyway”, so I tend to do very little describing aside from what’s absolutely necessary. Aside from a few basic things like gender, height/build, hair color, and maybe skin color, there really isn’t all that much physical description that the reader needs to visualize the character.

I think Sansa’s right, though, with the idea that what is described depends heavily on who’s looking at them. A practical person might only notice that another character is wearing a red dress, while a more… girly type or fashion-conscious character might notice the style, how it complements their body type, how their hair is done, and whether their purse matches their shoes.

I think that just giving a rather vague image of a character's physical appearance also makes room for the reader's imagination (i.e., for them project themselves onto the character), which I personally find to be a bit of a guilty pleasure ;P
    •  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011

So how much do you describe your characters? Do you toss off a few references here and there, or go into a longer description? Do you ever use poetic terms or not? And how do you handle characters who really are beautiful?

Personally, I usually go all out with it and get very, very detailed to the point of eye-gauging boredom. I usually edit most of it out, but I continually do it. I never seem to learn to stop with it. I rarely, if ever, use poetic terms, just because when I do describe my characters (I do, a lot. It’s terrible) I try to be as blunt about it as possible. Though, I guess, it sometimes works in relation to my main characters because they (mostly) are the sort of people that will sit there and analyze the mole on the person in front of them and wonder what shade of brown it is kind of thing, just because I’m that sort of person.

Anyways, I don’t outright say if my character is beautiful or not unless the main character is describing them and then it’s just the character’s perspective. I don’t usually make beautiful characters, I usually make characters that have a lot of “ugly” to “normal” characters. I like describing characters that don’t fit the conventional form of pretty better than drop dead gorgeous characters.

Though, I’m not really a good writer and my writing is at best dry. So, no one should do what I do. D:

I love character description. I like picturing them in my head (especially if it’s from a series like ASOIAF with crazy numbers of people involved) and I feel like certain names evoke very specific character appearances. Therefore, the name+appearance connection is just important for me to feel grounded in the story for whatever weird reason.

I try not to dump too much and kind of sprinkle it around so it’s not a block of text, and I try not to wax too poetic. But I think I could describe my characters better from another’s point of view. It’s still a trouble spot for me.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2011

I don’t describe many characters, and I can’t think of any example where I described the main/viewpoint character AT ALL. Mostly I don’t think about it, and when I do, I usually try to think about what the viewpoint character would notice. So a shy character is intimidated by a guy smiling at her and notices his teeth.

I would like to say it’s something I’m working on, but mostly the idea of describing my characters intimidates me and so I try to avoid it.

•  
      CommentAuthorSarahSyna

I adore writing out descriptions of my characters and it's a bit hard for me to pull myself back at times. I still try to describe them a lot, but I spread it throughout. If I mention her scars or his eye colour here, I'll mention her calloused hands or his tattoos elsewhere sort of thing.

I actually don't mind characters describing themselves too much, within reason. It's fine to say 'I've got brown hair and green eyes' or 'I look a lot like my mother, with the same sharp, angular features and wide mouth' but a character thinking about how her hair is like a big golden waterfall down her back and her glistening eyes that glimmer like God's own diamonds needs a slap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I came across one of the funniest character descriptions ever not long ago: It was literally, a man hunched in a cage, looking into the reflective glass of the mirror. He described his reflection in the glass in an almost-purple scene that somehow included an accurate assessment of his height while he was cooped up in a little cage, being carried through underground tunnels.

Lol, self-publishing.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

The only thing is, Taku, that now I want to read it. Wow, just wow…;D

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2011 edited

Somebody needs to tell him that, among other things, writing in present tense is rarely a good idea, especially in any kind of longform narrative.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

we did, but he told us his friends said not to write in past tense. That was, thankfully, one of the few things he agreed with, along with getting rid of his “dark elf language” which was an English cipher based on the organisation of the English language.

The present tense thing reminds me if this terrible story I had to read in creative writing. It also had terrible grammar and formatting and was extremely unclear.

He advised this other girl to write her story in present tense instead of past like it was. When it was my turn to talk, I advised her to definitely not do that.

Well, I think if you can use it right(which is really hard to do), it can work in a short story as a way to create a sense of urgency, or a sense of transience, or some other kind of effect. You really need to be competent to do it properly, and you need to be doing it on purpose.

I mean, it can work in a novel too probably if you can handle it just right(but then, pretty much anything can work if you handle it just right), but its effectiveness as a device is going to erode the longer your story gets and the more used to it the reader gets.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Ugh, present tense. I read one well-done story written in first person, but I can’t see it working for any more than a very short story, and only with a very good writer handling it. It’s very tricky to do well; I know I’d never be able to pull it off.

I submitted a short story to my school literary magazine that was partially in present tense, partially in past tense, and partially in future tense. It was my attempt to try something that had interested me for a while- kind of like the rationale for the action, the consequences of the action, and the actual doing of the action scrambled up. I don’t know how well it worked…I guess I’ll know when I find out whether the board liked it or not.

But regardless of what happens to that story it was fun to experiment with something that I didn’t really think about all that much- usually I just go with past as a reflex.

I’ve used present twice, both for stories that were under 4,000 words. I think it worked okay, better in one than in the other, but it’s really hard, and I don’t think I could ever write a novel in present tense.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2011

Second person present is okay for short works, but third person present just seems awkward to me,

I’ve only done first-person present. Third-person present does sound really awkward. That’s what the guy’s story I read was in. I’ve always wanted to write something in second-person, but I don’t think I could pull it off right now.

Maybe I’m a minority, but I’ve never thought that third-person present is that bad.

^^I honestly can’t think of any story I’ve read in third-person present besides that sucky one I mentioned. I’m sure it’s fine if, as sansa said, you do it right. What you did in your story sounds really interesting actually. I don’t know if you used third-person or not.

I don’t know if you used third-person or not.

Yeah, I did. First person tends to turn out sucky for me.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2011

bq. So how much do you describe your characters? Do you toss off a few references here and there, or go into a longer description? Do you ever use poetic terms or not? And how do you handle characters who really are beautiful?

I distill any major character's appearance into a standalone sentence. If I can't work into a single, coherent sentence, things need to be addressed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011

I suppose third-person present is more awkward than first-person. The one I read that was well-done was first-person present. /sorta offtopic

I usually try my utmost best at describing a character from the POV’s perspective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. Also, it just makes more sense.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011

Yes, I think that is a good idea.
    And I’ve just gotten into that a little with my character—she’s visiting a friend in a city of short, dark people, and everyone is staring at her because she’s tall and blonde.

Yes, I think that is a good idea.

Thanks, but I’m not the first to think of that.:-)
    Although, I’ve always found it funny when Harry Potter described Past!Sirius and Past!Voldy as “very handsome”...

And I’ve just gotten into that a little with my character—she’s visiting a friend in a city of short, dark people, and everyone is staring at her because she’s tall and blonde.

Cool. When one of my female MCs first meets the future leader of their team, she describes him as hot. She also picks up his accent. The other male MC sees the same person – medium height, impressive figure, black hair, dark eyes – but he notices the guy’s fancy suit (because the POV guy himself is pretty poor) and calm, fearless demeanor (because the POV guy has anger issues and is used to people being easily scared off by his rough looks).

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2011

I include it every now and then, but mostly leave it up to the reader’s imagination. Generally if I have multiple POV characters I don’t let them describe themselves at all. Obviously there are exceptions, like if the character has insecurities about their appearance, an injury, or something else out of the ordinary.

On tense: I like to use first person present a lot with short stories. Third person present is a little awkward to me, reminds me of MUDs for some reason.

I remembered the other day that Unwind (really, really awesome book) is written in third person present and done really well. I still think I’d have trouble with it.

When one of my female MCs first meets the future leader of their team, she describes him as hot.

Quoting myself because I’m awesome I want to clarify; this isn’t Twilight. My female MC notices the guy’s hotness, but she doesn’t fall head over heels for him just right there. In fact, I don’t plan on hooking her up with that guy ever. Also, it is in fact possible to perceive someone as attractive and still focus on the issue at hand instead of just standing there, drooling like a rabid fangirl/fanboy.

Generally if I have multiple POV characters

I always have multiple POVs. Can’t seem to stay in one MC’s head for too long. Does this make me weird?

like if the character has insecurities about their appearance

Harry Potter is a good example; he always notices the unusual and/or negative features about someone’s appearance, e.g. Hermione’s teeth, Dumbledore’s broken nose, etc. It’s justified, however, because he does the same with himself – he always described himself as short and skinny with very messy hair.

Problem is, now you get your Suethors (especially those who substitute Harry with a Girl Who Lived), and they also use negative adjectives to describe other characters… while insisting on using positive, and sometimes absurdly purple, words to describe their precious little sues. Talk about completely missing the point.

third person present and done really well

Read a Heroes fanfic once – done in third person limited and present tense.
    Gorgeously written.