Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    My nonsensical theory was created in the shower when I was sick with a dizzying fever. Enjoy. It is as follows:

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2011

facepalm Is this honestly sincere? I mean, is this supposed to be a joke, some satirical mockery of the belaboured fatuity of the fandom of the imagined aesthetic of fictional characters?

Please, please tell me it is.

Otherwise, I cannot be held responsible for the unlocking of the chthonic doorway which confines the unknowable lusus naturae whose great and terrible wrath, once unleashed upon the world, beget the abolition of reality and the coronation of unreality such as mortal minds cannot ken.

And that would just be a bummer.

_Otherwise, I cannot be held responsible for the unlocking of the chthonic doorway which confines the unknowable lusus naturae whose great and terrible wrath, once unleashed upon the world, beget the abolition of reality and the coronation of unreality such as mortal minds cannot ken._

*Snerk*

@ Nikola.

Dude.

Yes, we all make 'Gay Vampire' jokes but that was just offensive, especially the part about rape. Rape's a very awful thing and should not be joked about.
    I apologize to you both if you didn't think it was funny. My feelings are not hurt; thanks for letting me know that you believe I went too far. I don't think so, but the deed has already been done. I don't feel the need to edit or change my theory or its contents. Sorry.

@TakuGifian

I apologize in advance if your reply was meant as a joke...

I said nonsensical theory. Of course I don't sincerely believe that, and to be honest I thought I made that very clear. This is Twilight of all things; it's expected that I don't take it seriously. I didn't even get to discussing the multiple paraphilia of the characters and breaking that down.

@Kilgore

Bro.

I apologize in adavance, for this turns into a tangent. Read or don't; it is your choice.

I warned right from the get-go that it was inappropriate and vulgar. And then when people decided to click on it anyway, I warned yet again that it was nonsensical. Of course it's offensive; I didn't try to unnecessarily censor myself, as the warning is in the friggin' title, for people to know it's offensive before even clicking on it. Yes, I do believe that rape is a serious matter. So is racism, obesity, adultery, lying, stealing, murder, embellishment etc. and yet schaudenfroida has occured time after time. If people are just now becoming sensitive and easily offended by the bare minimum of vulgarity, where were they when dark humor had first shown itself?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2011 edited

If it’s offensive, nonsensical and full of emotional triggers, why post it? Go to the chanboards for that sort of thing, we like to steer clear of it. Unless we’re discussing the serious ramifications of something like rape for our writing, most of the time to attempt emotional realism and avoid disrespecfulness to survivors, we don’t tend to discuss it.

And despite my snarkiness, my reply was not in spirit a joke. Even as a “nonsensical” joke theory, it’s really horrible and you should be shamed and shunned for it. Even with satire we can go too far, and this crosses all bounds of decency, including literary decency.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2011

I didn’t read it (and don’t plan to, now that I know it has rape in it), but I do agree that if you knew people would find it offensive and be upset by it, maybe you shouldn’t have posted the theory/story/whatever it is at all…

Am I a terrible person for laughing at this [and the replies that followed]? It IS just schadenfreude, you know. You were warned. braces self for tide of rage D:
    Probably should’ve saved it for a place where it would’ve been better received, though, judging by the replies and the overall nature of this board [I mean, we have silly threads, but the focus of this place IS the constructive criticism of writing/the arts and not so much satire].
    Still, I laugh at everything, so I guess I don’t count. shrugs

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

It IS just schadenfreude, you know.

Did you actually read the theory? Let me quote some:

THIS IS NOT APPROPRIATE, BY ANY STANDARDS OF DECENCY. Kidnapping, imprisonment, enslavement and repeated sexual abuse is NOT something to fantasise about, let alone make jokes from. As I said before, there are lines when it comes to making jokes, and this is far over the line that I can’t even adequately express my rage. Do you think poor Elizabeth Fritzl eventually “returned” her father’s love? Do you think any rape victim anywhere would be okay with the assumption that rape=love? They would not, because it is SICK and WRONG.

This reminds me of a time on another forum when a new member make a “joke” about raping the two-year-old daughter of an older member. Not even remotely appropriate or funny. Completely distasteful, no matter the “humorous” intentions.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

I didn’t trigger quite so strongly to that, though like Taku I didn’t like and it made me uncomfortable; the thing is, I’ve been trying to pay more attention to the way ‘rape’ is used.

Anyway, in part I passed it over, and didn’t comment when I read it at first, because being on this site I read it (or even rationalized it) as more a commentary on how culturally we don’t take the issue of rape seriously enough, which given the context of the original post was giving it too much credit, but I read it that way.

But this is an issue that really needs to be discussed, because it isn’t ever funny. Perhaps something like that could be used ‘effectively’ in juvenalian satire if it were used as an attack on the way contemporary culture does dismiss the topic of rape, and especially when it does so through “humor”. (generally I don’t think of satire as humor, exactly, even if you do laugh at it; it should make people angry).

I haven’t been on this site long, so I don’t want to take a strong stance on what it is or is meant to be, but when it comes to theories about literature, even the bad stuff, it is for real theories. As you said, it was made up in the shower and sick with fever, and that’s going to produce some crazy dreams, but most of what’s here is more thoughtful than that. Even if it starts with a nonsensical theory, if posted, most members try to work out how it would work, or give evidence. Off the cuff topics like this, perhaps, are better saved for another site.

shrugs I don’t know. Maybe Taku said all that needed to be said, especially this^^

Of course I read it. I try not to comment on things without at least skimming through them first. o_o

I don’t think actual cases of rape are funny. It’s just something fictional here and I happened to giggle because it was presented as a joke [and the issue Thea brought up is right – cultural dismissal and all that]. Not really saying that it’s right that I did laugh. Doing anything else than apologizing would probably just make me look like a huge bitch, so I’m sorry. ;~;

Yes, we all make ‘Gay Vampire’ jokes but that was just offensive, especially the part about rape. Rape’s a very awful thing and should not be joked about.

Pretty much this. Well said, Kilgore.

Do you think poor Elizabeth Fritzl eventually “returned” her father’s love?

Very good example, Taku.

Do you think any rape victim anywhere would be okay with the assumption that rape=love? They would not, because it is SICK and WRONG.

Speaking as someone who has actually talked to rape victims (one of them a mere two days after it happened), I have to agree. Rape is extremely traumatic and, IMO, actually far worse than murder – for the simple and obvious reasons that a murder victim doesn’t have to live with it afterward and also rape is a deliberately evil and sadistic action (you can kill someone by accident – car, powertool, etc – but you cannot rape someone by accident).

This reminds me of a time on another forum when a new member make a “joke” about raping the two-year-old daughter of an older member.

Shit, that’s disgusting.

Maybe Taku said all that needed to be said

Yes. Yes, he did.