Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Obviously, at our general level, getting a book deal isn’t what I’m talking about. However, I wanted to ask the more experienced members of our forum whether it’s a good idea or not to submit to online literary ‘magazines’. I’ve found one that’s just gotten started up. (http://hastygrammar.wordpress.com/)

I’m not planning on submitting my life’s greatest treasure, but something I published on Figment.com anyway and another piece that I pulled out of storage. But is it a good idea?

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2011

As long as it is 1) a piece I am proud of and will be happy to be associated with, 2) something I don’t plan on publishing on a large scale, 3) a reputable place that makes copyright issues very clear, I would have no problem submitting it. Having your name out there, even on a small scale, can’t cause any harm as long as you’re careful. And it might even result in bigger opportunities opening up.

I haven’t done it myself, though.

Hey, I’ve tried submitting to stuff online before and failed. I’d say go for it, you won’t get published if you don’t try, and you need to build up a hardened skin if you want to be more widely read in the future. (I have, somewhere, every rejection letter sent to me.)

Only thing, make sure you read the fine print on copyrights and such.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2011

Hey, I found figment.com awhile ago!

If it’s something you have online already, and something, as you say, from storage, and if it’s not something you would want to send to an established literary magazine, then there shouldn’t be an issue. (And you could probably still send them on later, since they do seem to have generous guidelines, but the big name magazines tend to be more territorial, and might count it as a first printing. As you get further along, and choose to submit to them, you’d just have to read their guidelines carefully. And you’d probably want to ‘fess up anyway :)

The only concern I would have about Hasty Grammar is the lack of history and possibly knowledge of the publishing industry/author rights: they don’t seem to have any dates of publication, and not knowing who is in charge means it could just disappear. In theory.

It looks like they’re enthusiastic though, and it’s a nice site. Since they are so new, you’ll get a good response time (which can be very long—even in my college journal the rejection list wait was more than a month). Also, they might give you feedback, even, which is always good to have—the only reason I submitted to said journal. If you do submit, good luck!

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011

It’s a nice thing to put on a resume, also. Being able to point to a story that you’ve published, even if it’s only for an online magazine, will make major publishers more inclined to take you seriously.

Okay, I think I will publish. I really wanted to, but I just wanted to see if there were any outstanding reasons not to. Should I publish under my real name or use a pseudonym?

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011

It probably doesn’t matter, unless your suspect the material will become old shame