Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2010

Alright, so. I need help, again, it seems. Well, I have a story going on and I'm still ironing out the problems in it (even though I have written some short stories with some of the characters because I've been eager to start writing it). The thing is, I have this character, for lack of a name I'll just call her Emily, even though I will not use that name later on. So, the plot of the story needs her to be completely innocent. I'm going about this by using the Sailor Moon sort of innocent: the strength of her affection and ambition based on faith in the human race and capacity for joy and spreading it. She always believes the best in people no matter how much she is betrayed, or that she always tries to help people in need, regardless of what might happen to her.

Emily is one of the main characters of the story, and she needs to be innocent, lest I have to think up a whole new plot to go along with the changed character. Do you think that such a character is relate-able? What could I do to make her more so without losing the innocent aspect of her that I need?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThea

I think it could be, as long as you’re careful (which, since you’ve obviously thought of the issues, you already are). I can’t think of any specifics, other than, after you start writing, asking people how she comes across.

My friend had me watch an anime with a character like that…uh, Fruits Basket? I think. And the main female character is that kind of innocent, but remarkably non-grating. It’s been awhile since I watched it though.

So, practical advice? Make sure the innocent comes from an inner strength, as in, she forgives those who betray her knowingly, rather than just be a doormat (the forgive vs. forget difference), and so long as she’s aware of the world, or at least doesn’t seem stupid when faced with bad things, even if she doesn’t let it effect her worldview.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

I’m reading a book with a character like that. Her name is Penny Goodrich, and here’s a list of all the things that have gone wrong in her life so far….

1. Her parents hate her. They call her stupid, scatterbrained, forgetful, and selfish.
    2. She recently found out she’s adopted.
    3. She’s in love with a guy who barely even notices her. He married someone else who died about a year ago.
    4. Penny is currently watching his two children while he’s in the army (it’s set during WWII). His kids have just recently stopped resenting her for being nice to them.

And yet she remains sweet, unselfish, caring and very, very innocent. Although I thought her crush on the kids’ father was kind of pathetic at first (she calls him her boyfriend even though they’re not dating) I still like her. If the author had made her less innocent, I don’t think she’d be so likable. Her unwavering devotion to people who resent her is an integral part of her character.

Make sure the innocent comes from an inner strength, as in, she forgives those who betray her knowingly, rather than just be a doormat (the forgive vs. forget difference), and so long as she’s aware of the world, or at least doesn’t seem stupid when faced with bad things, even if she doesn’t let it effect her worldview.

This I’d say is very good. I’m not really familiar with Sailor Moon, but Thea’s description there reminded me of a female Goku (DBZ), which is awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2011

Make it someone who chooses to be innocent, rather than someone who just is because that’s how the author wrote them. Someone who willingly and clearly chooses to sacrifice their own will in favor of helping others, they’re going to be a whole lot more relatable than someone who we’re just told over and over is a selfless person. (Like, I dunno, BELLA SWAN)

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian

Well, I don't really care for making her selfless, or whatever. I just need her to be innocent. But if she has to be selfless to be innocent, than I guess it's going to be a lot harder than I thought. Thanks for all the advice guys (and girls. >.>) I really appreciate it. I need to go work this character out now. <3

Hrm. Ok, first she either needs actual youth, or behavioral youth (you know those people, the ones who are 30 something but will get psyched when it snows). Second, she needs to not be clueless. It has to be a choice to be innocent, the refusal of pessimism. The “I know that people aren’t all good, but everyone has good in them somewhere, and if I’m lucky, maybe I can reach it” kind of attitude. Just don’t make her obnoxious.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

Seconding Willow. And not making her selfless might make it easier to be innocent, since in ‘true’ innocence there is often an element of selfishness. So while she may deliberately choose to not lose her optimism, it might have an element or blindness, in refusing to recognize evidence that the world is not the way she sees it. In which case, it would be a character flaw. (I have no idea if that’s the way you want to go, without knowing anything about the story, but it just occurred to me when you mentioned she doesn’t need to be ‘selfless).

Oh, and she should probably examine it once- a sort of “why do I do this when it often ends badly” thing.

It has to be a choice to be innocent, the refusal of pessimism. The “I know that people aren’t all good, but everyone has good in them somewhere, and if I’m lucky, maybe I can reach it” kind of attitude.

Goku again! Remember how he insisted on sparing Vegeta’s life, because (paraphrasing here): “This guy might be evil now, but one day he could turn into an ally. Kind of like Piccolo already did…”

since in ‘true’ innocence there is often an element of selfishness

In a way, yes. “Imma follow this little white rabbit cause I wanna know what it’s up to…”