Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

aka the General Writing Thread.

I’ve decided to start it because at the moment we don’t have a thread like this. Pretty straightforward. Also, otherwise, useful stuff tends to get lost in the forums. This way we can consolidate all the writing how-tos we come across.

I’ll start by reposting Taku’s post from the Absolutely Random Thread. These are all videos, btw.

So, You Want To Be A Novelist

I’m a Screenwriter

I am Writer, Hear Me Roar

So You Want To Write A Romance Novel: Chapters 1-3
    So You Want to Write A Romance Novel: Chapters 4 – 10
    So You Want to Write A Romance Novel: Chapters 11 – 15
    So You Want to Write A Romance Novel: Chapters 16 – 20

I think this is the most appropriate thread for this. I was looking around on SparkNotes because I just wanted to skim meaningless stuff and not really think, and I found this contest for stories inspired by songs, and some of them are really good and/or interesting. Like the winner of the contest. I’ve only read three others, but I’m going to probably browse more.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010 edited

^^ Wow, that story is awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2010 edited

Has anyone heard of 750words.com? I suppose it might have been brought up already, but I just found it. It’s not exactly a writing how-to, but it is a good place to do regular writing—which, if you’re like me, you don’t do often enough. (I tend not to write without an assignment, and have a hard time writing myself assignments). It has a pretty good self-motivator. It counts your “streaks” and while I don’t think you get chided for not making it, you lose all the neat badges you can get if you keep going.

(That is a really good story)

Here’s George Orwell being a complete snob, as usual, but also throwing out a rather large collection of home truths, as usual.

I read this book a few months ago; it wasn’t especially revelatory, but it was concise and it crystallized several ideas that I hadn’t quite pinned down in my head. And everyone knows how awesome this one is, especially Lyttle Lytton fans.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2011

It's been going for awhile, so it might not be the newest revelation, but I only came across it recently:
    http://www.writingexcuses.com/
    Tagline: 15 minutes long because you're in a hurry and we're not that smart.

Basically a series of short podcasts delving into the different aspects of writing and publishing. Brandon Sanderson is probably the most recognizable name of the group. (Howard Taylor and Dan Welles are the other 2 regulars.) Very informative, concise, and funny series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2011 edited

Like I don’t have enough things on my iPod already. [/sarcasm]

Here’s something I found a little while ago. Poul Anderson’s 1978 essay On Thud and Blunder. It’s a bit long, but it basically boils down to “When writing, thinking and doing research are good things to do.” Plus, it has a few useful tidbits for fantasy/historic fiction as well.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2011

I can’t imagine most people don’t know about this here already, but Limyaael’s rants are pretty much a comprehensive list of anything you would ever want to know about fantasy ever, as well as on general things like descriptions and protaganists and plotting, etc. etc.

There’s also Writing Excuses which is a series of podcasts done by two authors (the author of Mistborn and I Am Not A Serial Killer, if you’ve ever heard of them) and a webcomic writer who does a comic called Schlock Mercenary. I’d never heard of any of them before, but they’re quite interesting.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2011 edited

Howard Taylor

...is amazing. :D I always recommend his webcomic. Over 11 years of uninterrupted daily strips.

Anyway, when I think I can’t love Ursula Le Guin any more, she goes and writes more like this:

Would you please fucking stop? – unless it’s not obvious, language is NSFW.

•  
      CommentAuthorYorkshire
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2011

This doesn’t just apply to writing, but to any ambitious endeavor. I’ve been recommending it to a lot of people, whether they’re artists or not. It’s called The War of Art by Steven Pressfield. Any writer can relate and gain some encouragement from this book.

Has anyone found this guy yet?

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011

The Rejecter .This is quite an interesting blog written by a woman who is an agent’s assistant, and therefore is the one who rejects most queries before they get to her agent (hence, the title). There are a number of interesting blog posts to do with the publishing industry and such, so you should give it a whirl.

Klutor I watched a bunch of his videos and he’s reasonably good. It’s funny that I am up to a part in my story where I’ve lost my drive again and am kind of bored, and then I watch a video of his that says how he thinks action sequences are the most boring thing to write, and the part I’m writing is mostly action so that must be it! Eurgh.

^Yeah, I remember that one.
    I think what he mostly meant was that they’re time-consuming and very hard to pull off, which is why whenever you’re writing an action scene, it seems to drag on forever.
    And don’t worry, I’m right there with you. :-)

Well I just managed to actually finish the chapter. When I should be doing homework… I probably purposely cut it a bit shorter. And the writing and action probably isn’t the best. It’s kind of too out there and anime-esque. Probably not believable for a epic fantasy novel. Like the bullshit of Eragon jumping to the ceiling, springing down with his legs and cutting midgets. Or at least I hated that part. Anyway…

After I got past a part that wasn’t actiony in the chapter I enjoyed writing the next action bit because I felt it was a very interesting situation. Then it goes back to no action then I got to the final battle which I’ve had in my head forever and think I wrote once ages ago. I think I did okay describing it and making it thrilling. There’s probably a lot of places in the chapter I could describe things more and build suspense but I felt it was getting too long and slightly repetitive.

I don’t think you have that much to worry about the fight scene being improbable – maybe the setting calls for it? And if doesn’t, then one slightly unreal fight wouldn’t shatter the reader’s disbelief.

I think I did okay describing it and making it thrilling

Then that’s good, right?

Yeah I am going for a kind of anime story in book form. Yaaaaaaaaaay!

Hey, that’s better – as in, safer – than what I’m doing: a TV series in web original form.
    :-O

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2011 edited

But that’s awesome are you actually going to film it? I’ve got a youtube series planned. Written a draft of chapter 1. Could get a complete overhaul. It’s about time travel and would only work in small 5-10 minute episodes on the interwebs so I don’t think it’s a TV series at all. Or does web original mean it’s a comic or in some sort of written form….?

But that’s awesome are you actually going to film it?

No – if I had actors, and camera and sound guys, and bands offering up songs for the soundtrack because exposure is a good thing, and a massive budget for CGI, sets, effects, etc. I would do so in a heartbeat.
    But I don’t. :-(

So now it’s an experiment: a TV series without TV: basically a serial story, in the form of episodes instead of chapters/sections. And I’m trying to “time” every episode so that it will appear to fit into 40-60 minutes, if you filmed every scene just like that. Except that the pilot is a lot longer.

I’ve got a youtube series planned

Awesome – do you have a channel already?

Well that’s still cool. It would be neat to see it picked up by a network and actually made some day.

You don’t wanna see what’s already on any of my channels… If this time travel thing is done and done well enough I will show it here. I have friends who can “act” and some who could possibly write music. I have basic knowledge of special effects with adobe programs and I have an okay camera. Sound might be shit though. And lighting. Locations and other resources is also probably a problem but doable. Yours sounds much harder. Mine’s main difficulty lies in making it believable it’s 20 years ago.

Well that’s still cool. It would be neat to see it picked up by a network and actually made some day.

Thanks!
    I think so, too.

Sound might be shit though.

I’ve found that a lot of youtubers have that problem. You’re not alone.

Mine’s main difficulty lies in making it believable it’s 20 years ago.

Dress up in bright non-matching clothes and make references to this new up and coming band Nirvana and how they’re never gonna be big. ;-)

Yours sounds much harder

So far I’d say it’s all in the pacing.
    Because apart from that, it’s pretty much just a serial story.
    ...I could be proven horribly wrong, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011

Dress up in bright non-matching clothes and make references to this new up and coming band Nirvana and how they’re never gonna be big. ;-)

Haha, this line rules. Third Eye Blind and the K-Car… glorious times.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011

Poofy hair. Like you permed it while touching a Tesla coil.

And don’t forget the boombox. Gotta have one on every shoulder, blasting bass right into your ear.

Poofy hair. Like you permed it while touching a Tesla coil.

Ohhh yesss.
    And ABBA makeup, because kids back then still weren’t over it.

And remember that nothing is “awesome” or “like a boss” yet. Instead, it’s “radical” or “tubular”.

Ahaha we do need to make it really phony and obvious like that.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2011 edited

The hair was real. Seriously.

I’m pretty sure the 80s were single-handedly responsible for eating a hole through the ozone layer with hairspray.

Yeah but what wasn’t real was every single person walking around with a boombox on their shoulder.

Oh noes the 80s has doomed us all!!

The hair was real. Seriously.

I remember it.
    See, basically people in the 90s weren’t ready to let the 80s go, so they still gave themselves giant-ass hair. Especially women. Men dropped the ‘fros and Michael Knight-curls for something “new” and “revolutionary” that still haunts the nightmares of many of us who grew up in the 90s – the mullet.
    And I don’t mean the poofy mullet, like MacGuyver or Gunther. I mean the straight, flat, slick version.
    shudder

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2011

shudder

seconds

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2011

Mullets are terrible, hands down. Not even MacGuyver can make me like them any better.

But Gunther’s mullet just makes him funnier.

Sound might be shit though.

Keep in mind that sound is way more important than video. You can have average video quality and great sound and do well, but if you have bad sound and great video, nobody’s going to watch. This is something you need to pay a lot of attention to.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011 edited

This blog is quite helpful. This guy provides advice on just about everything, from how to stay motivated to keep writing, to perfecting that query letter to land a literary agent.

:) I love Nathan Bransford. Need to read him more regularly though, which I don’t do.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011 edited

Here’s a blog by Gail Carson Levine, the author of Ella Enchanted. She has some good writing ideas:
    Gail Carson Levine Blog

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011

Hot Dog, Katsa! by Kristin Cashore

The more I read of hers, the more I like her.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011 edited

This seemed helpful to me, so I’ll put it up for you guys.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011

A Mermahuataur? Do not think I’ve ever heard of such things.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

And wouldn’t dog + dog just be a dog? :P

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

I haven’t heard of half of those.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

@ Puppet: No, it’s a two-headed dog.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi

I think dog + dog is a two-headed dog, hence Cerberus being dog + dog + dog.

EDIT: Gak, ninjas.

Let’s see… out of fifteen combinations, I know eleven. Cool beans.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

@ Puppet: No, it’s a two-headed dog.

Fair enough, but Narwhale + Human = Mermaid?

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

It’s correctly spelled Narwhal, without the E, by the way.

And a Mermahuatar is a recent invention. The above diagram is a bit silly in nature and should not be taken as an actual reference, if the oddities didn’t already tip you off.

I found this pretty interesting. One day I would like to be working in a writers room. Sounds a little stressful but whatever. No idea how I would get to that point. I suppose if I proved myself a good author by having published books and movie scripts sold that did well. I’ve got an idea that I think would be great for a TV series along the lines of Supernatural so I dunno how I’d go about pitching the idea to a network. I would also fail at being showrunner. I don’t like responsibility and being an authority figure.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2012 edited

The Creative Penn

Some very good, helpful posts over there.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012

I suppose this isn’t strictly a how-to, but I thought it was a rather interesting way of thinking about storytelling. I am Writing Blindly". The author’s a bit…maybe even pretentious, but I rather like his examples.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2013

Holy Thread Necromancy, Batman!

(I’m sure I’ve used that line before, but who cares)

Anyway, I found this little gem in the comments section on a LJ post for an author I follow (Scott Lynch, if you’re curious) – 25 Lies Writers Tell (And Start to Believe).

More about the writing process and stupid excuses to avoid writing than anything else. Kinda NSFW (mostly language), but it amused me and got me thinking about some of my own stuff.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2013 edited

I think a week is long enough between posts.

This time, it’s a bit of motivation from Scott Lynch – Being good can be a shortcut. There is no shortcut to being good.

Here’s a few selections:

Cripes. Once I spot them [people who believe in a “publishing shortcut”] in an audience, I’m pretty sure I can see them actively translating my words to their sub-reality. “I’m not saying networking isn’t useful,” I might say, “but you’ve got to have something worthwhile to sell before you start selling!” In their heads, this transmutes to “ZOMG! THERE REALLY IS A SECRET CLUB!” And don’t even get me started on what happens when I talk about work or discipline; I can see my advice turning into the noise the adults make in a Peanuts cartoon: “MWA MWA MWA MWA MWA, MWA MWA.”

How long does the process of hard work + self-awareness + perseverance take? I don’t know; how long is a string? There is no RIGHT path. There is no IDEAL way. There is no PROPER length of time. There is only your right path, your ideal way, your proper length of time.

If Step 1 is “write something,” Step 2 is “write something new while you shop it around,” not “sit on your ass for the next twenty years and keep petulantly holding out the Only Thing You Ever Wrote.”

*I did receive a firm but gentle e-mail rejection from Steve Jackson many, many years ago, in response to a proposal to write the introduction to a certain GURPS book. A proposal I only belatedly realized could be used as an object lesson in how to NEVER EVER structure a proposal. Still, I was chuffed. Rejected by Steve Jackson himself! I wish I’d printed a copy of that e-mail.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2013

Found an interesting article with six laws of fantasy.

I think I largely agree with it, and I like his definition of fantasy—anything that is impossible, not simply improbable, not necessarily including magic. It’s a very broad definition, but I rather like it. Perhaps my favorite part, however, is the following:

“Watt-Evans’ Sixth Law of Fantasy: If a story can be written without a fantasy element, then don’t bother with the fantasy element.”

It’s something for me to think about.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2013

I like it. I agree with all of them. Broad enough to cover everything, specific enough to be useful.

He should have added, as an addendum to the Sixth Law, the ‘call a rabbit a smeerp’ idea.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2013

You know, this thread should be more active. Oh well.

Anyway, here’s something useful I read – 25 Steps to Being a Traditional Published Author: Lazy Bastard Edition. Funny and informative – I should print it out.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2013

If you’re interested in prompts and whatnot, here’s a couple of Tumblrs:

F Yeah Character Development
    Keyboard Smash Writers

Both can fall into hugbox territory sometimes (as Sansa would say) and I don’t agree with all of their advice, FYCD more so than KSW, but they do have some nice prompts often. Nice way to get yourself to write or develop characters if you, like me, keep making excuses why I shouldn’t/can’t write.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2013

I found this character outline and these were some of the questions.

Coffee or tea?:

Crunchy or smooth peanut butter?:

Like, what? How does this help you flesh out a character.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2013

That is my perpetual question with those stupid character sheet things…

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013

How do character outlines in general help you flesh out a character? That's what I want to know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorResistance
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013

They don’t. I actually did an excersise that’s pretty interesting – fill out a really in-depth character sheet (one that asks you everything) about yourself. Then read it. It will sound nothing like yourself.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2014

http://www.nava.org/flag-design/good-flag-bad-flag/cover

For all those out there who want the five basic principles on what is a good flag and a bad flag design from the vexillological association. Not technically writing related, but if you like designing flags for your places, might be worth a look.

*Image heavy, and it takes some time to load the examples of flags.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2014

On Fairy Stories, by Tolkien.

Every time I think I can’t love Tolkien more, I read something else of him and then I’m all obsessed again. The man truly loved fantasy.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

swenson, have you read the short story Leaf By Niggle, commonly packaged with On Fairy Stories in the same paperback? That one hit real deep.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Heard of it, never read it yet. Not sure why not. I should look it up.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Definitely do, every artist/writer/painter should read it.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I heard about this book on Writing Excuses – 21 Reasons You Think You Don’t Have Time to Write.

And it’s free.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2014

Number 22: too busy reading this book.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014

Just read a blog post from Laurell K. Hamilton on LKH Lashouts – Blogflog – Show, don’t Tell.

Thing is, she gets it all completely backwards. And demonstrates her amazing anti-talent as a writer.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I’m still trying to understand what “that gleaming display of matrimonial treasure” is.

At any rate, I definitely also preferred the first. It was both functional and a quick summation, while the second dragged on and on and used language that made me want to puke. (Although that may be simply a sign that I’m not the intended audience. I don’t do… flowery.) I mean, yeah, it tells us something about the speaker, but mostly just that there is apparently nothing else in her head other than pretty boys. The first revealed the speaker to be a practical person capable of quickly summing up a situation, somebody who can have feelings for somebody else while still being able to think about them objectively. The second revealed the speaker to be a dunce.

The first was hardly perfect (that first sentence makes babies weep, there’s too many commas, and there’s not a lot of spirit to it, if that means anything), but man—anything is better than that second go.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Yeah, Hamilton doesn’t seem to really understand how commas work, if her blog/facebook posts are any indication. And unlike some crappy authors, who leave them out, she actually puts them in places where they don’t belong.

Really, I wouldn’t be surprised if she actually did get kicked out of her college’s English program. (I remember reading that somewhere, don’t recall where)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014

That LJ is great, by the way, never came across it before. LKH really claims to have a typing speed of 200 WPM? Shoot, and here I thought hitting 100 WPM that one time was impressive.

Do you know of any good sporkings of her stuff, by the way? I’d love to read some now, while I’m in the mood.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Oh, yeah.

Here’s the first one I found. It starts with the first Anita Blake book, and goes one chapter at a time. It’s up to the tenth book (Narcissus in Chains), which is where everything really started going down the tubes.

Here’s another one. This one starts with NiC (back in December 2012), and has kinda bounced around a bit. There’s also sporkings of one or two of the Merry Gentry books (i.e. Anita Blake, but with fairies and about sex from the get go), along with some other books of varying quality.

And yeah, until I see actual proof otherwise, I refuse to believe that LKH actually types at 200 WPM.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Apparently the world record is 212… so Imma go with wild exaggeration.