Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010

Okay, so I had this brilliant idea for a novel. It’s about a hero named Medic (power is healing of himself and others) who ends up getting framed for multiple murders by an as-yet-unnamed illusionist. (I called him Bender at first, since he can bend light and perceptions, but then I found out it’s also the name of a robot from Futurama. I don’t watch Futurama, so I had no idea.) Anyway, Medic finally meets a reporter who doesn’t quite trust the illusionist (who, by this point, has replaced Medic as the city’s defender). She ends up helping him salvage his reputation—putting herself in danger as she does, since the illusionist isn’t too happy about what she’s doing.

However, as with most stories I write, there are a few kinks I want to straighten out, so I’m asking for your guys’s help. Here goes:

1. What should I call the illusionist?
    2. What should I call the city? (It’s in one of the northern states, though I haven’t decided which one. Maybe I’ll never mention it.)
    3. The reporter works freelance, and when she learns the truth about the murders, she submits her work to a publication that will accept her. Should it be an alternative weekly paper, the mainstream daily paper, or a magazine that covers superheroes in cities across the US?
    4. The reporter submits her work under the pen name Prophet, and when she meets the illusionist as his request, she wears a mask. Should the illusionist have telepathic abilities? It would help him make his illusions that much more damaging, and help him discover Medic’s secret identity much sooner, but a good portion of the plot hinges on his not knowing the reporter’s true identity. If he does, I’d have to come up with a reason for why he can’t read the reporter’s mind, which leads me to….
    5. Is having the reporter be a low-level telepath dumb or Twilight-ish? I was thinking I’d make her telepathy just strong enough to block the illusionist, but not strong enough to let her read minds.
    6. Most importantly, how do I make it funny?

Your input would be much appreciated.

1. I don’t know why ‘The Illusionist’ is so bad, unless you don’t want to draw connections with the movie.
    2. I think you can get away with not mentioning it as long as the action doesn’t take place in multiple places.
    3. If this is sensitive, potentially unwelcome info and the Illusionist has become more influential, it makes more sense to me that she is able to publish in the alternative paper.
    4-5. That’s your decision, honestly. It depends on how common powers like this are.
    6. I have no idea, partly because I suck at actively putting funny bits into my writing. That’s something that’s completely up to you.

1. Pox? To help him mirror the Medic’s name?
    2. Either make it up or just pick one at random.
    3. An alternative paper that no one believes.
    4. No telepathy.
    5. Yes, it’d be stupid.
    6. Have the Medic bitch about how his powers are healing.

On the telepathy…to elaborate, it seems a little Deus ex Machina unless it’s a common thing, and if it were a common thing, then the illusionist would not be nearly as influential. So your situation remains tricky. Sorry. :(

The Quibbler

1. I agree with SWQ about using “The Illusionist” since “Medic” is directly related to Medic’s powers, or else something that relates to being an “illusionist.”
    2. You probably don’t have to mention it. When I name things, I just use the first thing that pops into my head.
    3. I also say the alternative paper.
    4. Uh, well how does he do his illusions now? Maybe not actually reading minds but being able to draw on people’s memories to better deceive them. Or else he can make them see what they want to see without actually knowing what that is. Or he could be able to give thoughts and ideas (Inception!) but not actually receive thoughts/read minds.
    5. If the sole purpose of her telepathy is so she won’t be affected by the illusionist, then yes, it’s a little stupid. If there is some other reason or she is also a super hero type, then it might be okay. Also, like SWQ said, it depends on how common these traits are. If you have too many characters with special powers who somehow randomly make contact with one another in a world where it isn’t common, then it gets a little too convenient.
    6. No idea. Maybe try to find some humorous hero stories to read for research.

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010

Thanks, y’all.

I like this.

1. I agree with SWQ about using “The Illusionist” since “Medic” is directly related to Medic’s powers, or else something that relates to being an “illusionist.”

I thought about using that, too; I just worried that it might be too long. Maybe not….I mean, there have been heroes and villains with longer names.

5. If the sole purpose of her telepathy is so she won’t be affected by the illusionist, then yes, it’s a little stupid. If there is some other reason or she is also a super hero type, then it might be okay. Also, like SWQ said, it depends on how common these traits are. If you have two many characters with special powers who somehow randomly make contact with one another in a world where it isn’t common, then it gets a little too convenient.

I was thinking that she’s from a family where everyone but her has strong powers, and they all went into the superhero biz. Her telepathy was weak, so she went for a profession that would keep her close to superheroes, even if she couldn’t be one. The problem I saw with that scenario was it could easily devolve into angst—and even if it didn’t, it could seem like a misuse of pity, if that makes sense. Like I was trying too hard to get the reader to sympathize with her, so I gave her weak powers in a family of strong powers so the reader would go “Awww….poor widdle journalist!” Yeah. Didn’t want that. I also didn’t want it to seem too convenient….or give her and Medic an easy deus ex machina (“Oh, no! The Illusionist is going to kill us AFTER he makes us go insane!” “No worries! I’ll just call my brother Mark! He has super-speed AND he’s a member of the NRA!”)

So yeah. No telepathy, then. For either of them.

6. Have the Medic bitch about how his powers are healing.

Come to think of it, that could be hilarious.

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010

Okay, I’ve ironed out some of the kinks and changed the premise quite a bit. Now I just have to decide—novel, or graphic novel script?

I don’t watch Futurama

I was going to try and help, until I read this.

...Just kidding. But seriously, it’s an excellent show and there’s no reason not to watch it.

Are the questions you asked for input on still valid in relation to your modified premise, or has said premise rendered them irrelevant?

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010

..Just kidding. But seriously, it’s an excellent show and there’s no reason not to watch it.

shrugs It’s not that I have anything against it….since I’ve never seen it….but I’ve just never seen it.

Are the questions you asked for input on still valid in relation to your modified premise, or has said premise rendered them irrelevant?

Ummm…..

The second one is still relevant….and I’m thinking about giving the former illusionist no powers whatsoever. Either that, or something that lets him kill people easily. Not fire, since that is a little overused and I happen to LIKE fire. So if you have any ideas….?

Not in a criminal way….heh heh….:P

Errr…..

Oh! The former reporter will now just go vigilante in an attempt to bring the current hero/murderer down and draw Medic out of hiding. I don’t want to make her too much like the Joker, but I also kind of want to give her her own sort of motif. Any suggestions? (She might work as a reporter for a day job, which would make it easier for her to spread the word of the current hero, but I haven’t decided.)

easier for her to spread the word

...the ability to teleport? or the power to walk through anywhere by shadow?