Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010

I have these problems with dialogue. Most of it sounds flat and boring. And characters say things that are meant to be funny, and then I realize that they aren't funny at all. (Evil butterflies? Giants with sharks' teeth? Really) This is a particular problem for one character, who is supposed to be extremely witty, but I'm not sure how I am going to write him because I'm not so great at dialogue and humor. Most of mine slides into the 'he said...she said...he asked....she replied' territory.
    So does anyone have any tips on writing dialogue?

Sorry, my dialogue kind of sucks as well. There are these two characters in particular- their conversations go off on such random tangents it’s really sad.

I think I’m okay at dialogue. I like writing it at least, but I’m not sure I’m good at humorous comments either. Occasionally, I write unintentionally funny lines, and then other times I write something because I think it’s funny, even though others might not.

The only thing I can think to try is if you think of something they could say that makes you laugh, try it, and maybe others will think it’s funny as well.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010 edited

^This. Also, try reading funny dialogue and figuring out what makes it funny. I can’t give any other advice without seeing a sample of your stuff.

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010 edited

My suggestion? Go to Hulu or a similar site and watch episodes of Psych. It follows Shawn Spencer, a hyper-observant man and his friend, Gus, who passes himself off as a psychic as he solves crimes. It’s hilarious, and the dialogue is most of what makes it so. You have these well-constructed mysteries, combined with banter like this:

Detective Lassiter: We found prints.
    Shawn: Was he in a little red Corvette?
    Gus: Under the cherry moon?

and

Gus: I can’t believe that guy thought I was a masseuse! I am not giving any more massages. From now on, these hands don’t touch anyone but myself. (Pause) Wait….
    Shawn: Too late, Gus. And no more fist bumps for the rest of the day.

and

Gus (staring at a severed foot): I can’t handle this. I’m leaving.
    (Gus walks through a heavy metal door)
    Coroner: Does he know that’s the freezer where we keep the bodies?
    (Gus screams)
    Shawn: He does now.

Watch the show. You’ll laugh, and maybe it’ll inspire you as you write your own witty banter.

•  
      CommentAuthorEbelean
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010

My creative writing teacher had us listen to other people’s conversations and copy them down secretly so we could learn how people naturally talk.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2010

Well, I’ve heard you shouldn’t usually worry about using “said” as a tag, as it tends to be invisible—so long as you mix up where it’s placed in the sentence and, especially during banter, avoid using it too often. For example, when you have just two characters talking, you won’t need nearly as many tags, so long as you keep track of who’s talking. And then you can always use actions instead of tags at all. Just end the quote and say, “She rolled her eyes.” as the next sentence. Of course, that can be overused too.

As for humor advice? Well, my whole family is extremely sarcastic, and it’s so ingrained I’m not sure how it works. Try looking for ways the witty character can answer questions indirectly. An observation related to the sentence, but says something the original speaker did not think he was asking. Double entendres can be the ‘easiest’ if set up correctly, and not too obviously (uh, so try using something for the prompt that people often say, that they don’t think about).

That’s pretty awful. But try watching commercials, or listening to them carefully on the radio, and especially to the enthusiastic ones. Often they’re more than a little careless with what they’re saying, and if you’re listening to the way the sentences are set up and not the content, you’ll probably catch something.

Like the Christmas music today—“Do you hear what I hear” I think—one line ends with “a child, a child, shivers in the cold” and goes to “let us bring him silver and gold.” My first thought, though I’ve heard this song a million times before, was gold isn’t going to warm him up—metals are cold! So, obviously, humor is extremely subjective, and doesn’t bear much examination. And as E.B. White said: “Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.”

Why don’t you try reading some of Mark Twain? Or at least his quotes. If you can get used to him, he’s hilarious (or at least I think so).

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2010 edited

Sorry, my dialogue kind of sucks as well. There are these two characters in particular- their conversations go off on such random tangents it’s really sad.

You show flashes. In the chunk I was working on this past week(that I’m still not done with :/), there’s a point at which I felt compelled to praise you for it, which I don’t really do that often. It was something like the queen referring to the king as her husband instead of the king, and in context it was just a wonderful touch. The reader knows based on previous experiences with the queen that it’s not a sign of affection, and we can then infer it’s actually a subtle undermining, and not even in the intentional sense. She just has such a lack of respect for the king’s authority that it seeps into her words. It was perfect.

I think I’m okay at dialogue.

Ditto the flashes. I told you this way back when I critiqued it, but some of the lines you redid for Margaret were just flat-out fantastic.

I dunno how good my dialogue is, but it’s by far my favorite part of writing(description can go suck a fat one, I hate it). Sometimes I suspect it’s pretty good, when my leads are conversing about something mundane on one level, but are actually discussing heavier stuff that neither is really secure enough to engage outside of stealth metaphors, or my female lead is talking with Wise Old Monk and having what amounts to several conversations at once, with the topics both rotating and overlapping. Sometimes I suspect it’s not so good.

In terms of what I try to do when writing dialogue, well… I usually try to handicap my male lead’s banter level on purpose. He’s supposed to be too deliberate to keep up with rapid repartee in casual conversation, so most of his cleverer lines are either something he thinks of while fighting to gain some kind of strategic edge, or something he’s already come up with. I try not to give the reader too much information about him even during his PoV segments(which is pretty easy, since he compartmentalizes like a muh), so ideally, if the reader picks up on what I’ve been doing(and I can make sure it’s consistent), they’ll be able to look at his lines and say, “Hey, I can tell which of these things he’s put a lot of thought into, since his phrasing is suddenly a lot more elegant and he can articulate it better.”

Well, that, and I think making his sort of lowlife character ‘witty’ is really played out, and most of the ‘clever’ lines are just hollow pithiness, instead of timely, substantive observations. I think there’s a place for characters who do nothing but grab low-hanging fruit and fire off empty wisecracks to make themselves feel smart, but most of the time, writers actually think the things their characters are saying are smart. That shit bugs me.

Anyway… If you want to experience the best dialogue, watch The Wire. Just to make sure nobody misses it:

IF YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE THE BEST DIALOGUE, WATCH THE WIRE.

Seriously, the dialogue is so much better than any other show I’ve watched, it’s almost a joke. I can pull out some examples if anybody wants, but my post is probably long enough as it is.

@ sansafro: I have no memory even writing anything like that, (I tend to spew and move on) so if it turned out perfect it was probably unintentional. That said, your comment made my day. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I’ve been passively studying how jokes / one liners / funny dialog is constructed, and I think the most important aspect is the cadence or the flow, or using the right words for the maximum effect. This generally means short and punchy, but it depends on the style of humor and the character. A great source of excellent comedic writing is The Onion headlines – not the articles, the headlines. I read a behind the scenes into the Onion, and they say they put about half of their work into the headline and the other half into the article.

Sometimes the premise alone is funny and the joke writes itself: NASA Inadvertently Launches Unmanned Space Shuttle

Another: 4 Dead, 12 Injured As Bull Wins Rodeo;
    God Angrily Clarifies ‘Don’t Kill’ Rule;
    Black Guy Asks Nation For Change;
    CIA Realizes It’s Been Using Black Highlighters All These Years;
    Al Gore Places Infant Son In Rocket To Escape Dying Planet;
    Fun Toy Banned Because Of Three Stupid Dead Kids;
    Fire Truck! Fire Truck! Fire Truck!

Many of these blaze into the realm of obscene, but that’s just the Onion.

Always remember the ironclad rule: Brevity is the soul of wit.

Yeah, I ended up gushing about it for a bit in the critique, but hey, that’s what makes for consistent excellence in dialogue, if you ask me. Not every line can, or should, be a home run, but if you can make most of them have those little implications, it severely reduces the burden of exposition, and everybody hates exposition.

As to whether or not it was on purpose, it really doesn’t matter as long as you did it. A lot of the cleverer things I’ve done when writing were things I just did by accident, noticed while rereading, and said, “hey, this some cool ass shit right here.”(This phrase verbatim. It loses its power if you alter it in any way) Then I took it, expanded upon it, and tried to polish it up.

To use a non-dialogue example that you know what I’m talking about:

Anyway, yeah. My point is, you can end up doing lots of cool stuff while writing by accident, the trick is just being able to identify said cool stuff when you do it. I think there’s quite a bit in yours early on, especially some of the poverty stuff.

Yeah, I see what you mean about the barrel. I think we discussed inadvertent cleverness before, but it’s always an interesting topic.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I almost never use any dialogue tags besides “said” and “asked”, though I really try to use any tags as little as possible. But I don’t write much humour, so don’t listen to me anyway.

I’ve always thought my dialogue comes off as unatural whenever I’ve tried. And I especially fail at medieval speech, which is quite the problem since I want to write a big fantasy trilogy I’ve been planning for a long time. I kind of want to actually write the series as if its a fantasy anime/cartoon like One Piece and Avatar: The Last Airbender. Because those are set in old fantasy worlds and yet everyone just speaks modernly. But that would probably not work for a book and would come across as lazy and undignified or something.

As for wit and humor, that’s what I want to try to go for my other story idea I might turn into a comic rather than a book, and I once typed a random list of what I hoped to be funny dialogue from random scenes throughout the story. A friend liked some of it I think. I’ve probably lost the file. Oh well… So I might be ok for wit/humor, but it will probably devolve into the kind of things most people end up saying in real life like “no you’re [whatever they said]!” and “thats what she said” to kind of make it semi-realistic because it is hard for most people to be witty in real life. Or at least thats how I think real life conversations tend to be. Maybe my friends and I are all dumbasses.

So yeah is there some website or book or something that really helps with fantasy talk? Or I could probably just read lotr or something and copy down how they talk.

I dunno how good my dialogue is

Well, my favorite chapter was mostly dialogue, so I’d say your pretty good at it. I also really liked the Wise Old Monk conversation that you mentioned. Plus, you’re good at differentiating the different voices, like all the characters have distinct voices and ways of speaking instead of all sounding like the same person.

A lot of the cleverer things I’ve done when writing were things I just did by accident

I think I’ve done this. I just remember you saying “good worldbuilding” a couple of times when I had no idea that’s what I was doing.

My dialogue is probably distressingly modern as well…but I’m not worrying about it now. I try not to be too blatant, though if you think about it, the time period in my fantasy world only roughly correlates to the 19th century, so who says that they have to talk exactly like they did in the 19th century? Different world, different customs, different language. Just as long as no one says ‘That’s what she said’, it should end up all right. Same reasoning should pretty much apply to you, happycrab.

My dialogue is probably distressingly modern as well…

Really? Mine is too archaic. I have modern day people talking like they were in the 19th century.
    If I set my works in the past though, normally, the dialogue is pretty decent.

The hardest thing is people talking in slang in a work set in the past. I try to just make it sound more casual with grammatical errors here and there, because there’s nothing more annoying than Oliver Twist’s dialogue.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010

^^This.

However, whenever I see this green or red underline, habit forces me into changing them so that the green/red underline disappears.

^^You can “add to dictionary” on words it doesn’t like. I do that sometimes, but usually, I just click “ignore.”

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010 edited

I always have to do that for my characters names.
    Back on topic, here's one bit of dialogue I'm planning on doing that is actually funny (at least I though it was):
    Emrad: I don't see why Saynor is so sad. He and Firron [who had just died not that long ago] were always arguing and had next to no respect for each other--and Saynor was always flouting his brother's orders. It didn't look like they even CARED about each other.
    Elwen: With the way you and Emros [Emrad's brother] argue all the time, everyone would think YOU didn't care about each other.
    [Emros and Emrad look at each other without saying anything. Everyone starts laughing]
    Emros: Well...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsquidget
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2010

I have trouble with writing humor too. It’s very hard to figure out what makes funny things funny. I thought this was kind of interesting. I don’t know if it’s at all helpful though.