Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010

Thanksgiving will be here in two. Days.* Tell me I’m not the only one who’s excited!

Thanksgiving is my absolutely favorite holiday of all time, because it is a day where all of my family gets together to eat delicious food until we’re sick, then wait a few hours for our stomachs to recover and eat all over again. Christmas ain’t got nothin’ on Turkey Day! But I’m sure I’m not the only person here who celebrates Thanksgiving every year. So! What do you do for Thanksgiving, do you like it, and what are you thankful for this year?

* unless, of course, you have the terrible misfortune to live in a country that does not celebrate Thanksgiving, in which case you have my pity. ;) Unless you’re Canadian, in which case you already had Thanksgiving.

I quite like Thanksgiving. I prefer Christmas, but Thanksgiving is good too. I love the food, and I usually have several Thanksgivings with various relatives.

I’m thankful for my family, friends, and pets and for almost being done with my first semester of college.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I am both Australian and ambivalent. I like the idea of a holiday to celebrate the things for which you are thankful, but I don’t like the way it’s been portrayed as this excuse for a massive (metaphorical) orgy of football-watching and food. I mean, promoting gluttony and sloth as a good thing… in a national holiday, no less. :\

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Oh, but Taku, calories don’t count if it’s Thanksgiving! It’s like a law or something. :D

(that’s America for you, though, isn’t it? We do love our eating-lots-of-food-and-not-actually-doing-anything-productive-ness, don’t we…)

I like the concept (without the massive binging, just the idea of having a really nice dinner), but my poor mother has enough to do without making a ton of food for all of us and having guests. So I’m just quietly thankful.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

STOP

Thanksgiving is awesome. I view it in the traditional fashion. Family, food, and festivity. Also it is the gateway to the Christmas season, which is basically an extended period of time where a large portion of my extended family camps out in my basement singing carols, crocheting gifts, and drinking wassail. YES.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Yes to Spanman! Family (including relatives I rarely see otherwise), food (only time we have turkey all year. I love turkey. YUM SO EXCITED), and festivity!

And yes, it means that we can now play Christmas carols :D

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Meh. Not much of a Thanksgiving person. Not much of a holiday person in general.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010

It’s the one time in our house where we actually go all out in a home-cooked, multi-course meal. Well, okay, there’s some of that with Christmas, but Thanksgiving is an all-day production. This year, we spent this weekend with family in Washington, which, while not Thanksgiving itself, is enough to be thankful for since living in the middle of nowhere means you are lucky to see relatives more than once in a year.

My family doesn’t really celebrate anything. It’s sad, but true.

. Also it is the gateway to the Christmas season

Yes, this! And the food is delicious; I love turkey. I’m not a football person though.

My pies are almost done- the blueberry is out, and the peach and cherry are in the oven :3

Meh. Not much of a Thanksgiving person. Not much of a holiday person in general.

This, except I love Christmas (even though I don’t celebrate it) because my LotR marathon is always around that time of year. :D

Behold my pies!

Peach!

Cherry!

Blueberry!

And my mother is making an apple pie and a banana cream pie too :D

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010 edited

I will be expecting one of those pies in my mail. Go! Oh but not the cherry one. Yuck.

I’m Australian so I dont celebrate Thanksgiving but since Australia has very few good shows so we get most from the US, I am well aware of what Thanksgiving is about – FOOTBALL! And dysfunctional families and/or friends getting into lots of drama and whacky situations.

This is very lol.

FOOBAW TIEM COMIN Y’ALL

I love the designs on the crusts, Willow. Very nice.

FOOBAW TIEM COMIN Y’ALL

I had no idea you liked football. ;)

Patriots vs. Lions- I foresee the Lions being stomped to death.

Saints vs. Cowboys- Ehh. I vote Saints. I’m in an anti-Texas mood.

Bengals vs. Jets- Jets please. The Bengals annoy me, they’re both dreadful and criminal.

I’m in an anti-Texas mood.

Texas is in an anti-Willow mood.

:P My Texan boyfriend and I broke up, it’s not against Texas in general… just anything Texas related that he’s fond of.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

You make amazing pies, Willow!

I’m not making anything because I fail at womanly skills like baking (I can make brownies from a mix! And scrambled eggs! And stirfry from a bag! And that’s about it.), but my mom made two pumpkin pies and a mincemeat pie (because my dad always wants one, for some reason), and might be making a cherry one in the morning. Also, our kitchen is full of Thanksgiving-ness. There’s a massive bowl of dried bread cubes for stuffing, the turkey thawing in the sink, pies cooling on the counter… :DDDDDDDDD

I’m not making anything because I fail at womanly skills

Same here. If my mom didn’t cook, but Thanksgiving would pretty much suck. I have no domestic skills.

I’m not making anything because I fail at womanly skills like baking

They ain’t womanly skills! My family has a running fight over pie, between my sister, mother, me- and my brother. He makes wonderful pie crust, but the butthead cheats by using lard instead of shortening. Hrmph. Cooking really isn’t that difficult- just get a good cookbook, and once you learn the basics, the only difficulty is your attention span (I always set a timer so I don’t burn things).

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Meh, I guess so. I don’t have much patience with that sort of thing, though, so I guess that’s probably the biggest part of my problem.

No patience? Try stirfry from scratch, it’s pretty quick. And chopping up meat and vegetables is weirdly fun, for me anyway.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010

It really is the holidays, we’re now listening to Christmas music! It’s pretty much an unbreakable law in my house that we are all forbidden from listening to Christmas music/doing Christmassy things before at least Thanksgiving. Then it’s fair game, though.