Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRorschach
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010 edited

Hello everyone,

I’m currently doing research for a speech I’m doing for one of my classes, arguing that Twilight is detrimental to society. My main points are going to be that Edward Cullen is a manipulative, emotionally abusive a-hole, and worse, the books display this relationship as one of the most loving and beautiful and amazing relationships in the history of the world. And that this basically sets young, impressionable girls up for thinking that emotional abuse in relationships is ordinary and alright.

Depending on how the speech goes, if I have time I may touch on how Bella is also a manipulative bitch, but that will probably end up being a future project.

(Also, yes, I intend to post the results – probably in an article format – here when it’s finished)

I already have a list of the basic things that Edward does, such as stalking Bella by reading her friend’s minds, sneaking into her bedroom at night, breaking her car so she can’t see Jacob, etc. And I’ll be adding to that list by combing through (God help me) the Twilight books. That being said, I’m worried I’ll miss something rather obvious. Therefore, if there’s anything in the series related to this topic that you should think I should cover, or any resources you’re aware of that might be helpful…..lay them on me. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010

The suicide thing in New Moon. What a great way to ensure your ex will be able to go on and have a normal life, by telling her you’d kill yourself if she died because you can’t live without her.

Acting like everything he does is always in her best interest. He breaks her car because it would be dangerous for her to go to the reservation! He sneaks into her bedroom at night because he just loves her that much! And so on.

Also, did you read Steph’s Skeletons yet? If not, READ IT NOW. It’s basically about Bella realizing how manipulative Edward is. It made me go as far as to feel sympathy for her!

Just popping in here to add that the link is on my profile, and to ask politely, if you read it, would you be so kind as to click the review button at the end of the story? (And then review?)

Also, perhaps this should go in the Twilight category rather than just general.

Anyway, Edward constantly puts Bella down and she just accepts it. He dazzles her into forgetting her fears in book 1, makes all the problems in the relationship about him, and here’s a link with more stuff in it if you scroll about halfway down

“I could kill you quite easily, Bella,”... and then some line about how he has to consciously control his movements when touching her, because he might accidentally slice her skull open when he just wants to caress her face.

If that’s romantic, I’m the love child of Julie Andrews and Freddy Mercury.

Can I have your autograph?

Seriously, I actually would call that part romantic, because he loves her and he’s trying not to hurt her. Putting all the blame for it onto her for being so durned fragile, however, is not.

Can I have your autograph?

No. My uncle Bela Lugosi says people who ask for autographs are evil.;-)

Seriously, I actually would call that part romantic, because he loves her and he’s trying not to hurt her.

I get the idea behind it, but the way he says it creeps the living daylights out of me.
    I’d say something like “If I ever hug you too tightly, it’s not that I want to hurt you – it’s just that I’m not used to touching humans that way. So just warn me in time before I anaconda you without realising it. Okay?” (insert genuinely sweet smile here)

Putting all the blame for it onto her for being so durned fragile, however, is not.

Exactly. He knew what he was getting himself into (no pun intended) before that scene.

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2010

To quote How It Should Have Ended:

“Edward, it’s like you’re a recovering drug addict—that’s dating crack.”

I think you mean… heroin…

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010

I was just quoting HISHE....

Oh, is that a thing?

I know there’s How Twilight Should Have Ended on this site, but that’s a whole different baseball game altogether.

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010

Yeah. Go to www.howitshouldhaveended.com and find the Twilight vid. You will laugh, I promise.

I found it. LET’S GO EAT SOME PEOPLE! WHOO!

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010

Told you. :P

Uh, guys? looks around We might’ve accidentally….lit the building on fire.

So it’s a video then?

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010

Yes. And it is epic.

I youtubed it rather than go to the site. ‘Twas quicker.

I Youtubed it too, and then I realized that I’d seen it before. But it was awesome anyway.