Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I mean, seriously, will it ever come out? I can’t even find any news on it.

• CommentAuthorDanielle
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010

I think Paolini is getting bored with his own series. Just look at his interviews on Shurtugal—he went from completely enthusiastic, long, almost essay-type responses to short, clipped answers that tell you what you need to know, no more, no less.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Apparently he’s close to the end, which means he’s nearly finished the first draft (which, sadly, will probably also be his only draft).

At any rate, I’m not too excited. There’s enough fail in the first three books to sustain nearly five years of antis without them getting terribly bored.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

At any rate, I’m not too excited.

I, surprisingly, am. No idea why. Reinvigorates the fandom, I guess.

Lol. You know what would be cool? If he’d actually learnt something during the gap between novels and comes out with something completely awesome that kicks butt and gives us more Murtagh.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

<3 I wish that would happen.

Actually, there was a lone chapter in Brisingr that I actually enjoyed. The one where Eragon goes around giving people gold and apologising for being a dick and screwing up their lives.

Oh, and that bit where Sloan calls him out.

Basically, any scene where Eragon is ragged on is good with me.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Hergh? There was a chapter where Eragon goes around giving people gold and apologising?

I don’t remember that. What did he do?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010 edited

I believe he used magic to find trace amounts of gold around him and drew it all together to make… gold… stuff. I don’t remember what form it was in, maybe discs or something? Anyway, he gave some to Roran and Katrina as a wedding present, I recall, but I don’t remember what he did with the rest of it.

Also, on Book Four: yeah, nobody has any clue when that thing’s coming out. Apparently the first draft is about finished. So we’ll see. And no, no one knows what the title will be.

• CommentAuthorNo One

A ring… I think…

And no, no one knows what the title will be.

I’m betting on something that contains a lot of consonants… and precisely one vowel.

Honestly, as much as I despise Inheritance I can barely get through the books. Like in Brisingr, I had no idea what was happening most of the time unless Arya and Eragon were having some sort of interaction (because I’m a romantic and I wanted something to happen). The book was just so incredibly boring. So yeah, not really excited about the last book coming out…

• CommentAuthorDanielle

@ Klutor: Are you kidding? Vowels are for sissies. I’ll bet PaoPao goes the artistic route and has no vowels.

And it’ll probably translate into something stupid, like Hero or Eragon is Awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

I couldn’t get through Brisingr, even though I bought a copy for the sole purpose of scribbling notes in red ink and doodling in the margins. About 1/3 of the way through the book, I got bored and gave up. I’m using it to hold up a shoe rack now. It was fun for a while, though. I drew lots of pictures of Roran as a viking goat, and I’ll never get that image out of my head XD

I’ve read all of all three of them, but that was when I was a fan. It’s ridiculous when I think back on it. I had to read the summaries of the other two in the beginning of Brisingr before I read it because I couldn’t remember hardly anything that had happened. I did kind of like Elva, though. She was creepy and didn’t say, “Oh, Eragon, it’s okay that you cursed me because you are so awesome.” She was not too happy with him.

I only read the first one (or at least most of it before saying “screw it” and skipping to the end), and that was already bland to begin with. So I can’t even imagine how it goes even worse from there.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

So I can’t even imagine how it goes even worse from there.

Ho ho ho.

You’re missing out.

^^This.

I believe he used magic to find trace amounts of gold around him and drew it all together to make… gold… stuff. I don’t remember what form it was in, maybe discs or something? Anyway, he gave some to Roran and Katrina as a wedding present, I recall, but I don’t remember what he did with the rest of it.

And the Varden is broke?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Also gave some to Jeod, and the woman whose husband was killed by the Ra’zac when they invaded the village (if I remember correctly).

The Varden were broke, yes, but Token Black Woman sorted that out by creating a mini lace industry and collapsing Surda’s. But they’re the good guys, so it’s ok.

• CommentAuthorNo One

I think book 4 is called either the Empire or Eldunari. I dunno, I merely looked up “inheritance cycle book 4 cover” on Google Image

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I don’t think the title has been released yet (could be wrong, I don’t keep up with Inheritance news especially quickly).

I just gave up about a third of the way through Brisingr, I don’t know how(or why) I made it through Eldest. That lace thing didn’t bother me as much as it should have, because given all the other ridiculous oversights in previous books, why would I expect Paolini to understand something like the relationship between scarcity and value?

That said, I really don’t care about the fourth book at all anymore, because I don’t care about Paolini anymore. Sure, he’s a lousy writer and his books are bad, but I blame that more on the people around him than he himself. He’s just an earnest, clueless geek doing what he thinks is correct, and the people who should know better enable him instead of saying, hey, Chris, this is bad and you need to fix it. Can’t bring myself to hate a guy like that.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Can’t bring myself to hate a guy like that.

Hate the books, not the person. :3

I think I’m starting to take a more hipster interest in it. I mean, I couldn’t even read Twilight, so the fact that I could easily get through Brisingr twice says something (not sure whether it says something about the book or me).

But now I’m intrigued as to what he’s going to do with the story — I mean, it’s painfully obvious that he’s forced himself to shift it away from the plagiaristic mess it was before. So, yup, genuinely interested in the conclusion.

Did he really? It was my understanding that the Brisingr ending was sort of a mash-up between New Hope and Empire, except Vader offers power to Yoda instead of Luke, and kills him when he declines.

I might take a whack at reading it when it comes out, if I hear that there are genuine surprises.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Oh crap, I can’t even remember the ending now. Uh, uh, uh. OH. Yeah, the whole Oromis death — yes, he wasn’t entirely successful.

But I’m still of the opinion that he’s trying to force the story to stand on its own crippled legs now, and not lean against the Star Wars table too much.

Trying being the operative word, of course.

I might take a whack at reading it when it comes out, if I hear that there are genuine surprises.

I think the only genuine surprises have been when the Good Guys get called out on their actions. And CP can’t counter them well enough. Which is rather embarrassing (I was thoroughly convinced by Galbatorix’s speech at the end of Brisingr — sign me up to the Empire! tally ho!)

I’m also kind of interested in the conclusion, and apparently I power through very well because I read all three pretty easily. But I must bow down to Jeni for reading the same one three times. I also read Twilight, but I decided that I can’t read anymore of that series.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010

Wow, even I haven’t read the full book more than maybe twice! I’m impressed, Jeni. ;)

Sure, he’s a lousy writer and his books are bad, but I blame that more on the people around him than he himself. He’s just an earnest, clueless geek doing what he thinks is correct, and the people who should know better enable him instead of saying, hey, Chris, this is bad and you need to fix it.

In other news, someone said above that Nasuada’s meant to be the token black woman, but are token minorities really token if they’re not there to be tokens? Aren’t they just minorities then?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

But I must bow down to Jeni for reading the same one three times.

OH GOD NO. ONLY TWICE. ONLY TWICE.

I’m so ashamed. ;_;

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010 edited

Some people claim that at least the first book was somewhat good but I couldnt even get through that. Maybe part of it had something to do with me hearing how crap the series is which made me want to hate it, but I’m pretty sure I really did get bored and it had nothing to do with that. So yeah I got up to somewhere in the Dwarf kingdom place.

After that I have read every chapter spork of all the books by Kippurbird on livejournal. Problem is she sporks them so damn slowly. She is SO FREAKING CLOSE to the end of book 3! So the choice is to either wait forever and ever to read her sporkings of book 4, or to borrow it and actually read it completely out of curiosity of what the hell Paolini is going to do next and because I like crap things so that I can feel superior knowing how crap they are. No way in hell am I going to buy it.

Does the world even care about Inheritance enough anymore for book 4 to be significant? When it finally comes out am I going to hear tons of stuff about it and see people reading it everywhere? I remember book 3 being somewhat of a big deal when it came out.

And it’ll probably translate into something stupid, like Hero or Eragon is Awesome.

Yeah, wait… I think I got it…

Rgnsthwsmsthrvr.

Translation:

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Does the world even care about Inheritance enough anymore for book 4 to be significant?

Honestly, my opinion is no. Where I was for Brisingr, they tried to make a big deal out of it, but I think it fell flat on its face.

Anyone ever get the feeling we better find something new to *tear to shreds* before we become remnants of a bygone age?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010 edited

Nope, I’m done with the critiquing/tearing. It’s gone too far. While I like to discuss Inheritance flaws, that does not mean it can be applied to every book out there. Eragon was an important example of marketing.

I’ll continue with Inheritance, but that’s it.

Besides, the age has passed already anyway. I’m only here for the food and company.

OH GOD NO. ONLY TWICE. ONLY TWICE.

Oh, my mistake. Sorry. But still, I’ve only read it once, so you still win.

Nope, I’m done with the critiquing/tearing. It’s gone too far.

I’m with you on this. I used to love sporks and such, but now… I dunno, they just don’t do anything for me. I read the Kippurbird ones when they’re new, but other than that, it just feels like my time would be better spent on my own work, or reading/watching good works of fiction.

Damn, now that I read over my comment it looks like I was hungry for more sporkable materials. I kind of meant the opposite. Unfortunately there is no irony setting on this thing. :)

Anyway, I’m saying that so that it won’t seem so weird and contradictory when I say that I totally agree with Jeni.

Though I wouldn’t mind doing some more critiquing, but I’m definitely done with the tearing.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2010

Oh, my mistake. Sorry. But still, I’ve only read it once, so you still win.

This feels a bitter victory. ;_;

I used to love sporks and such, but now… I dunno, they just don’t do anything for me.

Yeah, same here. I agree with you guys. It used to be really fun, but now it has started to seem mean and kind of pointless. I used to be really into the tearing, but when I think back, I was a little too mean about it too.

Though I wouldn’t mind doing some more critiquing, but I’m definitely done with the tearing.

Yeah, I like the critiquing, and even occasional parody/satire stuff, but all sporks and other just ripping it apart things have gotten kind of old to me. I’m not criticizing people who still do them or still like them because I used to like them too, but it’s just not fun anymore, and I would rather do slightly more productive things.

This feels a bitter victory. ;_;

That smiley looks like a vampire.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Rgnsthwsmsthrvr.

I can’t help but imagine that, should book 4 have a title like that, all the people saying (or trying to say) the title will wake up Cthulhu, and he’ll be pissed about all the people saying nasty things about his mother.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Yeah, same here. I agree with you guys. It used to be really fun, but now it has started to seem mean and kind of pointless. I used to be really into the tearing, but when I think back, I was a little too mean about it too.

Phew, and I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2010 edited

I dont think I was ever too into it. I just read all of Mark Reads Twilight and Kippurbird’s Inheritance sporkings so that I could basically know everything that happens in the books without actually reading them. And sometimes they helped me with how to write better, and sometimes with the case of Mark Reads Twilight it was really interesting when he decided to open up and talk about his effed up history. Mark Reads Harry Potter was pretty fun because he actually enjoyed it (obviously).

Oh maybe I was a bit into ImpishIdea’s Twilight Sporkings mainly for the statue and cream count.

They were really funny at first, but I don’t know, I just got kind of bored with them.

Phew, and I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

Apparently, not by a long shot…

To throw a spanner in the works, our site motto is ‘better writing through the deconstruction of Inheritance and Twilight’.

To throw a spanner in the works, our site motto is ‘better writing through the deconstruction of Inheritance and Twilight’.

Perhaps, we could adapt and focus more on the “better writing” part and less on the “deconstruction of Inheritance and Twilight” part.

In which case, to put it bluntly, our article output would drop to about ten percent of what it is now. Perhaps less.

our site motto

That’s the one on facebook, isn’t it?

I believe so.

Yeah, cause the one you get from google is something like “creative writing site with a flair for humour and a penchant for self-improvement”.

Hee hee. Sounds like us. Which is probably why it is.

I’ve been wanting to write an actual ‘writing’ related article, I’ve just been so lazy incredibly insanely unbelievably busy.

I would write one, but I don’t feel qualified and have no clue what to write one about.

I would write one, but I don’t feel qualified

Same here.

no clue what to write one about.

Actually, I have a few ideas. But see above.:-(

I’m not really qualified either, but I want to contribute something.

I might attempt to write one this weekend…. or maybe next weekend. I want to contribute too, and I got a little inkling of an idea for one today.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010

I feel bad about being here for so long and never actually contributing to the site. I was thinking about writing an article, but I’m nervous because don’t have an area of expertise that I’m really comfortable with >.<

Should we make a thread about this so that this thread can get back on topic? I’d love to discuss this more but maybe we should put it in a thread with a better title…

Wouldn’t there be some thread for that kind of stuff already in existance? Do we even need a thread for it if there isnt one?

As for book 4, it will be somewhat interesting seeing what the hell Paolini is going to do with it. It would be fantastic if he learned the error of his ways but most of the damage is already done. Kippurbird who does the good sporkings of the series met Paolini and had a chat about writing or something but didnt have the heart to tell him she thinks his books are horrible (which they are), though she did give him her card which has her sporking website on it. So it would be wonderful if he actually went on it and read it all, not to offend him but to like I said let him see the error of his ways. If he did go to her site I bet as soon as he got wind of her reviews being negative, he stopped reading.

I’ve read that chapter about the werecat king that was released early and it has solidified my hatred for Paolini’s creation of werecats. Theyre so stupid. Well to me they are. I bet there’s some people who, while knowing the books are bad, think the werecats arent that bad. But I just hated how Solumbum (Serious Ass) gave a list of things that are going to come/have come later in the books.

‘Tis the obligatory prophecy, though. I agree with the ‘not having the heart’ to say it to their faces thing. Sometimes I wonder how much people would say if they had to say it directly to authors’ faces rather than just ranting on the net. So good on Kippurbird.

If he did go to her site I bet as soon as he got wind of her reviews being negative, he stopped reading.

I can’t really blame him. If I were the author, I’d just want to shut down as soon as I saw a negative review. You know, like it’s your baby, you’ve worked on it, put a lot of good intentions into it—if you see it deconstructed or sporked somewhere, you’re not really likely to be able to take it calmly long enough to learn from it, if you can take it at all.

Wouldn’t there be some thread for that kind of stuff already in existence? Do we even need a thread for it if there isnt one?

As far as I know, there is no thread for that. And I practically live here, so unless somebody snuck by me… has sudden paranoia-fuelled desire to check every single thread in the forum

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Should we make a thread about this so that this thread can get back on topic?

The very fact that it’s gone “off-topic” is indicative of the state of Inheritance: that there is nothing to say.

Really, it doesn’t matter. If we were a bigger forum, maybe, but we’re just chatting. There’s no need to sacrifice productive chat for the sake of sticking to “topic”.

Jeni, I salute you. Firstly, you have a point, and secondly, thanks for restoring my sense of scale. It’s a bit weird coming back from forums with too many members to count, to a forum like this.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Jeni, I salute you.

You shouldn’t have said that, my head is growing at an alarming rate now.

;D

Yeah, well my arm’s growing tired from Heil-ing you.

The order to take it down now, if you please. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

When the fourth book comes out. ;D

That’s bad news.

Worst of all is that I just invoked Godwin’s Law.

At least you did it subtly, Steph.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

you should check out the comment-sections on Youtube

There’s your first mistake in Life.

Man, all this talk about sporkings make me wondering if I should continue the T&P series…

Oh, book 4 is going to be… well I’ll let Asahel get it and then tell me what it’s about.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I’ve lost all interest in the Inheritance Cycle and the Twilight Saga. Paolini and Meyer brought this community together, but they aren’t the ones holding it together. I’m here because of all the wonderful people I’ve met through this community.

Aww, Puppet. That’s so true :)

• CommentAuthorNo One

Hear, hear.

D’aww.

So, thinking some more about Puppet’s post (which I mostly just read as “You’re all wonderful” at first) in essence, don’t worry too much about finding something else to hold us together, because we’re already doing it?

I like that idea :)

There’s your first mistake in Life.

No. No, it’s not. One needs to familiarise oneself with the incredible levels of stupidity that are sometimes publicly displayed by one’s fellow man.

Awww. Huggles Puppet

Twilight and Inheritence are both getting kind of dull. The immature part of me wants to find something new to rag on, but the more mature part of me wants to just let it be and let the community move on.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010

I’m just starting to focus more on my own writing, rather than Paolini’s or Meyer’s.