Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009

Because OLD demanded it. DISCUSS.

THE POWER!!! >:D

I love this series.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Me too.

The Silmarillion is epic, too. But very difficult to get through.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I think that replacing Glorfindel with Arwen was a good idea.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Yeah… the whole Arwen/Aragorn thing isn’t really explored in LotR proper, but to include it in the movie, they needed some moments like that. I watched the first two movies before I read the book, so I’m at peace with it.

Although… I read the book before watching RotK, and at the part where Sam leaves, I was like… WHAT?!!! But it was really good- it was perfect for the movie.

Well, only because he wouldn’t get what he deserves in his brief cameo. I can only describe him as the LOTR Chuck Norris.

In the extended version, the skulls burying them in the cave of green people (sorry, forgot the name)... Yeah, that was cheesy. But I absolutely LOVED everything else about it! Heh, including Viggo Mortensen... ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep

I really should get around to re-reading the books, but I have too many books to read/finish already.

LotR rocks.

I placed the TCG and the TMG. 2001-2003 were the happiest years of my life. [sigh]

Overrated.

Hm yeah. I love the movies though. The plot, actors, costumes, sets, score, EVERYTHING was amazing. Of course, it wasn't perfect, but is pretty much my favorite movie(s).

They could have replaced the Paths of the Dead extension with more screen time for the Faramir/Eowyn romance. It was so sweet in the book, and even in the extended edition it was so choppy and random.

What about the Faramir character change in the movies? PJ explains that he needed some character development for Faramir, do you agree with him? Personally, I understand his reasoning. It wouldn't make sense to most people if everyone else couldn't resist the Ring and this one guy just can. On the other hand, that's part of what makes Faramir so exceptional in the first place...but ultimately, he is portrayed very sympathetically, especially in the extended edition.

I didn’t like how he brought them to Osgiliath, and showed all his sympathetic scenes. If he was flashbacking to everything that happened before, and those events shaped him to eventually give up the Ring, then why did he not just let them go? I would have just been happy with the scenes showing how he and Boromir didn’t get along with their dad. And then we would have had time for Shelob :D

Anyone else cheesed that they cut the Saruman and Witch King scenes? They even cut the Gothmog scenes, after building him up so much. (These are all the extended scenes. Should have said that at the start :D)

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009 edited

The Saruman scene is...not great, really. It needed to be cut. The Witch-King scene where he nukes Gandalf's staff was freaking stupid, so that was good to be cut. And what Gothmog scenes got cut?

Gothmog slowly chasing Eoyn Eowin Rohan Chick across the battlefield. You will not know excitement until you see a crippled pink orc slowly chasing a crippled broken exhausted woman across a field of slaughter. And then Aragorn comes out of nowhere and stabs him. >:|
    They should have cut his scenes. He only needed to be there for what, the river scene, defending Osgiliath, and being run down by the Rohan Cavalry.

Saruman got staff-ted. One line? From the tree-puppet? RAAAAAAGE!

The Witch King is built up to be a big threat. “I will break the Wizard” and all that. Here’s a guy near the top of his game, and he gets shanked by a midget and a princess. This is the guy who Razed Andor! He was stronger than Gandalf! And they remove the staff for the rest of the movie! No explination!

I’m just rambling now, so I’ll stop :D

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009

Arnor. ARNOR, not ANDOR. And Eowyn was a pretty hardcore fighter.

Give me a break, not much sleep :D (wait, you call me on that, but you let Eowyn slide? :P)

I don’t know about Eowyn. What did she do? She blocks a mace with her shield, gets her arm broken, and stabs a dude in the face after the halfling ganks him from behind.

Sure you can bring up the fell beast, but they never seemed all that tough to me (I imagined them as bald, leathery parrots on my first read-through, and so they shall remain :D)

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

She survived against the Black Breath and kept fighting. That's pretty hardcore.

Black Breath? Huh, don’t remember that. Wait, wouldn’t then by extension Merry and everyone standing around them be effected by it?

I yeld to your superior knowledge in this subject!

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Yes, he was. That was what the Athelas was there to treat, for the most part, and it's why both Eowyn and Merry were comatose following the fight.

Aha! Thank you! So, its a poison. That only really effected them after the fight. That they held off for about a day. I think I’m missing something D:

Anyway, anyone else mad that not one single Ent died onscreen?

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Not really. It's basically like massive Shell Shock/PTSD.

Ah. Except it has a more mystic name.

I was disapointed that the ghosts cleared everything up. I wanted to see Aragorn fight Suladin the Serpent King atop his chariot, but what I really wanted to see was the good guys win a fight by their own merit. Have the Grey Company stroll out of the Corsair Fleet, have a good old fashioned tumble.

Also, did anyone notice where the Easterlings went? They just kind of walked into Mordor, and that was it. Seems like a waste of costumes :/

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Maybe they appear in the extended scenes?
    I was very confused when they were completely absent from the theatrical release.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

You remember the Haradrim with the Mumakil? That was where they went.

I’m talking about the armored ones in the second movie, who walk into the black gate and never come out. In the books (I think) they went to go fight the dwarves, but they don’t really seem all that neccessary.

Also, the harad look like ninjas. Riding elephants. Win :D

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

I know. I'm guessing they were with the army of Haradrim.
    I'm kind of mad they cut out the Scouring of the Shire, but there wouldn't have been enough space and people thought the ending too long anyway. The screen must have faded to black at least three times.

What about the cutting of Tom Bombadil? I thought it was a good idea- Tom really doesn't have any true relevance to the plot, though I like him. And the movie audience would have thought 'wth is this?!'

Tom I am sooo glad they cut. Though I did once read an article saying that Mr. Bombadil was the alternate persona of a one Mr. W. King… :D

Scourging of the Shire would have been awesome. You could have cut out one of the 12 freaking endings to fit it in.

But I’m not bitter :D

Well, I guess they had to show the coronation of Aragorn and all that. (Though he does look 100x better dirty. XD)
    Totally. ;P
    In the extended version of the second movie, the verse that Treebeard says to make the tree let go of Merry and Pippin is the same one that Bombadil says in the book.
    I thought that was pretty cool.
    Yeah. They figured that Tom wouldn't mind his lines being given to an Ent, of all things. I guess that's true.

Alright, I need to come clean, when I think of the Witch King, This is what I think of.

And these are Orcs!

:D

LOL at the witch king's voice. I'm kind of sad that they cut out some of the exchange between Eowyn and the Witch King in PJ's version, but the ringwraith looks SO much cooler in the newer movies.

Did it not look as good in the books?

I try and think in the Witch King’s voice when at all possible.

This is my hour! You will regret the day you cut me off!

Etc.

Related to LOTR: What did you think of “The Hunt for Gollum”‘s Aragorn and other characters?

@ Dan Locke- I haven't seen any illustrations of the Ringwraiths in the books. But comparing the animated to the live-action, the live-action Ringwraith looks cooler.

@Juniper- Aragorn was pretty good, I think. The only thing I didn't really like was the random insertion of Arwen. That was completely useless and unnecessary.

Can someone post a link for the Hut for Gollum please? I still haven’t watched it.. Thanx! ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009

http://www.thehuntforgollum.com/

Nor have I.

I hated when Haldir and the Elves showed up at Helm’s Deep.

Stupid spotlight stealing elves… D:

:D

Ditto; I hadn’t read the books when I first watched the movies, so I was like “Oh! Wickedly awesome elves!” And then I read the book.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Rawr, I hated the Haldir thing. Although I suppose PJ said he wanted to show that the elves hadn't abandoned the race of men.

Also, look at this. Christopher Lee is a BADASS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84i82QxNk74

Christopher Lee has always been a badass.

The elves were there because they were playing with the idea that Arwen would show up at Helm’s Deep. They even shot a little footage, though thankfully it never reached the end stage.

But the time of elves is over. Now is the time of the Orc!

@Snow White Queen

>But comparing the animated to the live-action, the live-action Ringwraith looks cooler.

Well, duh. EVERYTHING is cooler than Bakshi’s Lord of the Rings.

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard

There are 3 rings in marriage.

The engagement ring.
    The wedding ring.
    Suffering.

Did anyone else find it funny that Elrond sent the elves to Helm’s Deep from Rivendell and Haldir is from Lothlorien?

Nitpicky, I know.

I was more caught up with the fact they were there at all >:|

But then the wall exploded, and I was happy :D

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

SWQ – I noticed that too! And I was most displeased. This was before I’d even read the books, too!

But in the books, they mention stuff about “messages from Rivendell” when they’re in Lothlorien, so I sort of marked it down to that.

The movies were okay, but not incredible.
    I will make a list of things that irritate me.
    Faramir. He is supposed to be like the Numenorians, not a ...... wimp.
    Arwen replaceing Gorfindel. It make sense from a movie makers point of view,(less money) but bugs me. Despite what Paolini says, Elven women don't fight, unless with magic.
    Curved elven swords.
    Plate armor.
    Rohirrem using round shields.
    Edge on edge parrying.
    Aragorn's sword.(before Anduril)
    The........I'm ranting, I'l stop

Elven women don’t fight, unless with magic.

Why? Really I want to know. I don’t know a lot about elf lore and all that.

Well, Tolkien explains that since women are life-givers, they’re too valuable to send into battle. Makes sense.

But how exactly was Faramir a wimp? Because in TTT Peter Jackson made him affected by the Ring as well? (That annoyed me, I’ll admit, but the consistency argument given by the movie makers was a valid one) Because his father hurts his feelings by completely neglecting him in favor of Boromir? (it’s happened to me- it hurts!)

The rest of the stuff you mentioned was weapons-related and went completely over my head. But as the Armourer, I suppose that weapons would be your area of expertise.

@SWQ
    Okay. I thought maybe there was some special reason that specific to elves. I still need to read Lord of the Rings.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009

Things I didn’t like about LotR:
    The elves. Seriously, there must be a better way to make them look elvish besides the long hair (have you noticed, very few men look good with long straight hair?), pointy ears, and stiff-board walking.
    Yeah, they screwed up Faramir bigtime.
    Frodo’s acting in general. Don’t even get me started on the accent.
    Saruman’s anticlimatic skewer-death.
    Legolas. Hah. “A red sun rises. Blood has been spilled this night.”
    And some other stuff…

Otherwise, I really love those films, not least because of the stunning costumes and props and everything (MUSIC). Also there was a lot of good acting to make up for the briefly cringey moments. I don’t mind that they cut things out of the movies, they were long and detailed enough as it is.

I didn’t like how at the end of The Two Towers the metric butt-ton of Rohirim that show up.

Seriously. There’s like, three times more Rohirim than refugees D:

Also, extrememly minor quibble, but did anyone else notice that Gimli started calling them the Uruk-Hai, when there was no way any of them knew what Saruman was calling his pet project?

Can’t an Orc catch a break?

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

I never read the books, but I didn’t like the movies. I had a hard time sitting through them.

Am I the only one who thought Gollum was a tragic character?

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

No, probably not.

The movies had a lot of flaws, admittedly.

One thing about the Elves - yeah, how DO you make Elves look like Elves aside from pointy ears and making all the men bishonen?

“One thing about the Elves – yeah, how DO you make Elves look like Elves aside from pointy ears and making all the men bishonen?”

The people in the costume department can’t do it. It’s up to the actors to make the characters appear elvish, otherwise they are merely humans with pointy ears. They can do this by portraying how someone how has lived for hundreds (for some, thousands) of years.

Hooray for LOTR; my first big obsession. Good times. Although I'm the horrid fan who has never read through the books herself, yet knows enough about them (and the Silmarillion) to carry on a fairly in depth conversation with dedicated Ringers. At least I used to be able to. Now I only have a few random factoids stuck in my head about Ungoliant trapping Morgoth (or was is Sauron) and the Balrogs having to save his scrawny butt.
    • CommentAuthorFenix
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009

So what do you guys think of the newly released post-humous books? I recently read sons of Hurin, by far the collest story from the silmarillion, but it has been to long since I read the silmarillion itself so I couldn’t spot any differences. there was another one by name “the legend of …... & .........” but I can’t remember the names.

The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún? It’s an old Norse legend, I believe.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

@Devin Monahan: It sort of seemed like the costume department did all they could (they could have used fewer robe-dressy things, but whatever, I’m a nitpicker), and the actors sort of just stood around looking solemn and not trying. Sigh. The only elf who struck me as being comfortable as an elf was Legolas, and even he had his iffy moments.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009 edited

I liked the major elves (Elrond, Galadriel, and Legolas). Everyone else was a human dressed up like an elf.

And about Gollum being tragic… yes, of course he is, he’s so terribly tragic! I still hate him, though.

There’s a lot of minor quibbles we can make about the movies, but to be honest, they were pretty decent adaptions, considering how most book-movie adaptions turn out. Tolkien himself always said it was impossible to turn it directly into a movie. So considering the scope of LotR, I think they did about as well as they could. The movies were accessible to people who’d never read LotR, but still included a lot of stuff for Tolkien freaks. And while, yes, they did mess up some things, the overall product wasn’t bad.

Re: Arwen instead of Glorfindel- that was to build up Aragorn and Arwen’s relationship, though. Seeing as they couldn’t really go back through and do the whole Tale of Aragorn and Arwen, they had to put it in wherever they could. So they just took the opportunity there, I think.

EDIT: BEST IDEA EVER. So LotR is just too big to put into a movie, right? So they should make a Lord of the Rings TV show! They could divide it up into seasons (either 6 or 3, depending on which way they split it) and everything! That way they wouldn’t leave anything out!

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

You could do LotR in a lot less than three seasons with ease. Hell, you could do it in one if you tried. 42 minute episode x 20 = 840 minutes, also known as 14 hours, which is already several hours longer than all three movies. If you have a 22 or 24 episode season, that increases it to about 17 hours. More than enough time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

They could make a Silmarillion series, too! gets way too excited

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Now that probably would require an assload of seasons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I KNOW! It would be so awesome!!

Aww, I love Gollum, despite the fact that’s he’s very ugly and kind of creepy.

Yeah, Saruman’s death was not as cool. In the theatrical versions, he just disappeared.

Legolas looked cool, but almost EVERY SINGLE THING he said made me burst out laughing. Irritated my brother, who’s a Legolas fan, but who can’t laugh at the line “I feel a tingling in my hands. The drink…I think it’s affecting me!”

Snickers

Oh yeah. Such crappy lines. But the thing with the oliphaunt- soooo made up for it.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009 edited

And that it was Orlando Bloom. He was much better as Legolas than as Will. He seems to do well as characters that are SRS, not just characters that take themselves too SRSLY.

Yeaaahhh! He took on a whole oliphaunt by hisself, that was awesome!

“That still only counts as one!”

I don’t think Orlando Bloom is a great actor period. But as Legolas, he was mostly eye candy anyway.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

As it should be, with elves.

Legolas' role was massively expanded in the movie, since he didn't say much in the book.

This is very true. I could scrutinize the movies, but they are currently my favorite movies, and it would take me a while to think up of things. About the ‘blood has been spilled this night’ That line was also used in the books. Aragorn had very dramatic lines too, but he managed to deliver them a lot better, so…

I thought Orlando Bloom was better as Will than Legolas, but I’m attracted to pirates, so it probably has something to do with that. ;)

Oh. I thought Orlando Bloom looked better as Legolas, even if his acting sucks. Maybe I like elves.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009

I liked him better as Legolas, too. Something about the pointy ears.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmourer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009 edited

To Snow White Queen: Wimp was a bad choice of word. Faramir was not affected by the ring much in the movie, he wanted to win his father's favor. The weapons and armor issues are simple, the plate is out of place since Tolkien said that it was set in a early medieval period-viking era setting. Circular shields are fine on foot, but on horseback it leaves your left leg undefended. Sword edge parrying has been(amazingly) accurately pointed out by CP, it puts noches in your (increadibly valueable) sword. I'm sick of curved elven swords, and glamdring and sting are straight. Two-handed hero-swords make me sick, also Boromir's sword was simliar length and design to Anduril.
    Also the Battle of Pellenor fields was not well done. I the movie-the Roherrim arrive they are winning with no resistance, the Haradrim come they win with no resistance, Aragorn and his army of undead scrubbing bubbles arrive, and they win. In the books-the Rohirrim arrive make a desprate charge. They get ripped up by the Haradrim and the Easterlings. Aragorn arrives witha normal army and a less insane battle goes on for a while, then they win. For those who have not read the book, the Army of the Dead slaguhters the corsairs and all the people around them.

It’s Boromir.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010

Things I didn’t like about LotR:
    The elves. Seriously, there must be a better way to make them look elvish besides the long hair (have you noticed, very few men look good with long straight hair?), pointy ears, and stiff-board walking.
    Yeah, they screwed up Faramir bigtime.
    Frodo’s acting in general. Don’t even get me started on the accent.
    Saruman’s anticlimatic skewer-death.
    Legolas. Hah. “A red sun rises. Blood has been spilled this night.”
    And some other stuff…

I didn't like that stuff either. So I'm not the only person who thinks Legolas looked like Barbie Elf? Why do elves always have to have long hair? And you wouldn't go into battle with your long hair not fastened out of the way, or it would get in your eyes.
    And does anyone else dislike Frodo's portrayal? Not just the bad acting, but the fact that he seems so wimpy. He's always groaning, or clutching his chest, or rolling his eyes. Personally, I thought he spend most of the movie looking like he was going to throw up, faint, or burst into tears.

They wimpified Frodo, but Sam was so awesome that I thought it balanced out to a neutral. I was always a Sam fangirl anyway. squee

Movie!Faramir was a lot different from the book version. I love him in the book, but I’ve watched the commentary and I do understand why the filmmakers did what they did. Not that I necessarily like it, but they didn’t do it just for laughs and giggles. Also, the extended edition makes him a lot more sympathetic as well.

As for the elves, a lot of the artwork portrayed them that way. The pointy ears, I believe, were described by Tolkien himself and were actually very natural looking in the movie. Long hair- well, I don’t know, I’m just so accustomed to seeing them that way and shorter hair to me just looks jarringly modern when I envision it.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Yeah, I’ve come to an understanding about most of the plot/character changes (Faramir and Shelob… not that I was complaining much about Shelob to begin with. It worked for the story the movies were trying to tell.), because I had to realize that the movies are only an adaptation, not a translation. When you remember that, a lot of changes make more sense, because they really did have to tell a slightly different story than the original book because of the severely limited time of a movie.

On the ears: This is a toughie. Tolkien never said “they have pointy ears”, but he never said “they don’t have pointy ears”. There’s evidence to support the “pointy ears” side of things (especially because they were described as “leaf-shaped”, which many people take to mean pointy), but it’s never explicitly said.

This is a toughie. Tolkien never said “they have pointy ears”, but he never said “they don’t have pointy ears”.

Then I must be misremembering. But I don’t think the ears are really that much a cause for complaint, simply because they were so subtly done. They looked pretty awesome, in fact.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

And, come on, every interpretation of elves ever, even when Tolkien was still alive, has had pointy ears. It’s common enough that I don’t think it’s wrong to give them to Tolkien’s elves, even if this whole thing is a big misunderstanding and Tolkien really didn’t mean for them to be pointed or whatever.

At least they weren’t those really ridiculous long ones that extend up beyond the head.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010 edited

What, this? But they look so realistic and utterly non-ridiculous! Totally!

Imagine all the piercings you could get with ears like that…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010

I’m thinking somewhere in the seventies range?

• CommentAuthorDeborah

Even if they had to have longer hair, couldn't it just be down to their shoulders and no longer? And have you noticed that Legolas never gets dirty, and his long flowing blond hair never gets tangled? Unlike other characters. (his coronation was the first time you ever saw Aragorn looking clean)
    Sam was awesome, though. And Gandalf!
    •  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Even if they had to have longer hair, couldn’t it just be down to their shoulders and no longer? And have you noticed that Legolas never gets dirty, and his long flowing blond hair never gets tangled?

Movie logic, honestly. If you really want to iron everything out, just pretend that Legolas cleans himself vigorously all the time, and every time the camera’s not pointed at him he immediately starts combing his hair. Sure, it’s not exactly the most, uh, accurate—but is it supposed to be? Imagine if you did have Legolas getting dirty and having his hair tangled. You’d either get random shots of him with his hair tangled in one scene and then untangled the next (presumably because at some point he combed his hair off-camera), which would be confusing and odd, or actually show him grooming, which would be boring and rather pointless. In my opinion, it’s one of those nitpicks that, yes, is a valid point until you consider it in context of storytelling through the medium of movies.

it’s one of those nitpicks that, yes, is a valid point until you consider it in context of storytelling through the medium of movies.

It’s the law of conservation of detail.

Namely, that at some point, too many details bog down the story.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

It also makes for hilarious crackfic about Legolas never letting Aragorn borrow his hair straightener, hence why Legolas’s hair is always perfect and Aragorn’s never is.

^ Also, Legolas spends so long in the bath that he’s the only clean one by the time the Fellowship needs to move on.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010 edited

yes, that's funny. I just don't like guys with long hair.

Maybe he’s born with it…
    Maybe it’s Special Elf Shampoo™!

Lol.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010

Hahaha.
    for that extra-clean shine....
    get out of my head!

I just don’t like guys with long hair.

You get used to it when you listen to heavy metal. Then they all have long hair, whether it really looks good on them or not, so when a man looks moderately okay in it, I think much better of it than maybe it actually looks. XP