Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBrink
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010 edited

Caustic criticism.

Personally, I’m a fan of it. It doesn’t need to overlap with being nasty—in fact, it really shouldn’t. I don’t know. I like it when someone pokes at all the flaws in my writing so I can get better. People rarely do this for me, for whatever reason, but I think it really can help.

EDIT: “Caustic” isn’t quite what I mean—just completely honest.

Thoughts?

I don’t think good criticism necessarily has to be caustic so much as unfailingly honest.

I agree… Being nasty is not going to help anyone. Plain ‘ol honesty will do. People must just be able to handle it.

I agree with SWQ. I also think it’s good to have at least something positive to say in addition to criticism to take a little of the sting out. I do think that being really honest is helpful, but people rarely want to give that kind of critique, which is why Impish Writing is helpful because I get actual criticism, which I’ve never really had before.

I just kind of rambled there.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010

Agreed with the last three. Criticism doesn’t need to be caustic as such (“Your music is bad and you should feel bad!”), but honest and involved. Truthfully, the best critiques are constructive more than anything. They poke at a flaw, yes, but they go into detail as to why it is a flaw, and what can be done to fix it.

Taku, I love you sometimes :) For some reason, I can’t stop laughing at that.

ahem anyway. I love honest criticism. I don’t like it when it’s packaged up neatly and people sound like they’re afraid to criticise me. Because then I think they’re holding back on me, and I get all neurotic. But I love it when, after being very very honest, people add a bunch of stuff they did like at the end. Satisfies my writer and my ego :)

I also tend to put a list of questions to the people I ask for critique, some of them in-depth, so they know what I want them to look for—and then they HAVE to answer at least half-way honestly.

^^ I like the idea of questions for the writer.