Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    I think I might have the most boring Chemistry teacher in the world, and I need help!!! He seems like a really nice guy, but he talks softly, is kinda deaf, and has a more montone voice than a news reporter on the radio.

So what shall I do???? (barring switching classes, as the only one I am elligible for is a same-period class, and than it would just seem rude to the teacher.)

I have a few good friends in the class, but there are tons of kids I dont really know to well, and so far the class doesnt seem to be one of those "This class sucks but WE (the kids) will make it cool.

I almost fell asleep today. And I have 9 months left to go.

/sigh.

Bring a bottle of water to class, lower your expectations, and savor every moment of unintentional lulz..

You just kind of have to barrel through it, I guess. I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful.

...I doodle. A lot.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2010 edited

Um… doodle? My best artwork is done in class. But I also recommend that you actually listen to the teacher, because the only thing worse than having a really boring class is failing a really boring class.

EDIT: Willow, great minds think alike.

Sure, but my doodling isn’t artwork… so much as random swirls and zig zags and stuff. And to-do lists. And ideas for stories.

Doodling is fine- but I cant pay attention, and, as boring as this guy is, Chemistry actually looks pretty hard.

Oops- Spanman you got there ahead of me.
    My friend wrote a series of 29 comics last year in our math class, it was just that easy.............

Algebra II looks fairly interesting this year though, and the teacher seems awesome.

Started reading Frankenstein: did Paolini read that book, know that it was famous, and decide that its purple prose was right for him? Mary Shelley starts PPing on the first page.............. just like Paolini.

Not a good sign for a book I will have to write essays on.

Out of curiosity, Mortis, are you in college or high school?

Thirding the doodling.

I’d doodle if I didn’t suck at art. Though I drew an endless amount of pictures of Batman during Psychology.

I like to draw eyes. People looking at my notes often think I’m a weirdo, but I can’t draw the rest of the face, so there you go.

Sophomore in High School- I hope that nobody takes a beginner Chemistry class in college, unless they went to a crappy high school or got home-schooled.
    I cant draw at all, in fact, I cant do art whatsoever. But I am in an art class, so go figure.

My school decided everyone should take at least a year of art and/or music, and since I am even worse at the latter than I am at the former, my decision was made.

I even suck at making pots in my art class- Pottery and Sculpting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2010

unless they went to a crappy high school or got home-schooled.

Don’t be hatin’.

Nothing against home-schoolers, I am just saying that it would be kinda hard to home-school Chemistry since it involves doing labs with dangerous chemicals, and other cool stuff which may not be available to home-schoolers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Eh, we generally find a way to make it happen. I ended up taking college-level chemistry from my grandpa, who’s a renal physiologist.

And I sucked at chemistry. It was a matter of principle that I didn’t doodle in that class at all. I’ve avoided chemistry like the plague ever since. D:

Sophomore in High School

Ah, I see. I took AP Chemistry in my sophomore year so I can sympathize. (On the other hand, my chem teacher was awesome.) Well, chemistry took all the effort I could put in, so I wouldn’t really recommend doodling in that class. Getting a study group together with someone who sits in the front row might be helpful.

Algebra II, on the other hand…

I couldn’t avoid Chemistry, alas… my damn high school said that I had to take at least one math-science, so it was that or Physics… worst grade I ever got. C. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Technically, for some odd reason we were supposed to do one or two years of life-science, and two or three years of math-science. Usually the progression for honors students was Biology X, Chemistry X, Physics X, AP Biology/AP Chemistry/AP Physics. However, I did Biology X, Zoology X, Chemistry X, AP Biology. Dodged Physics, but only by going to the head of the science department and getting permission. I shudder at the thought of physics to this day…

I took AP physics in 8th grade, and got a 3 on the test! It was the awesomest class ever, mainly due to this whacko teacher we got over winter break. We had to come into class over winter to learn about Electricity and Magnetism, and instead of our regular teacher (whose first year it was) , we got this ancient old guy who had started our honors program 40 DAMN YEARS AGO.

His hair stood up on end when we made a mistake, and he covered up what he was writing on the board, then erase it before we could copy it. He could mess up simple math, like 1500-4000= 2500, but could do 9 digit multiplication in his head. It was actually kind of crazy.

This one day, a lawnmower was outside, and he is lecturing. We are all ready to sleep, and he startles us by turning around and saying "shush". We hadnt talked, but he thought we were making the noise of the lawnmower. This continued for several minutes, until even our regular teacher (who was sitting in) started giggling.

Then he turns around, and screams, "SHUT UP". I think some kids in our class may have pissed their pants, and I was pretty damn close myself.

But anyway, all rambling aside, Physics was awesome, and the AP test at the end of the year was BY FAR the hardest test I have ever taken. It was incredibly brutal, and after 5 hours or so, none of us thought we would pass.

AP exams are brutal, I’ll give you that. My high school offered a lot of AP courses, so I sat more exams than any sane person should (twelve). I passed eleven of them.

I just got very excited because I realized I got as many passing APs as Hermione got OWLs.

Lord I’m a dork.

12 AP exams? That’s freakin’ insane. I’m probably taking 9 at maximum, because choir takes space in my schedule.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

I once had a Biology teacher that was the sterotypical ‘boring teacher’. He was old, bald, hard of hearing, and had a voice like a vacuum cleaner. His method of teaching was to take a chapter from the textbook, condense it into notes, then read those notes to us and wait while we copied them down. To make it worse, his class was the first in the morning. There was no way I could stay awake, but I learned the important skill of writing while sleeping. Sometimes entire class periods would go by and I’d walk out with pages full of (barely legible) notes that I didn’t remember writing. I doodled a lot, but after a few months of drawing the same ducks and flowers, I started to fall asleep while doodling.

The times I did manage to stay awake were when I mixed up the daily routine a little. Once, I brought a giant pinecone that I found and put it on my desk and stared at it the whole time. It was strangely amusing. Once in I while I brought a few pieces of candy to class, which kept me awake because I was thinking ‘should I eat the cherry or the lemon one next’? I wrote notes in fountain pen some days, with a really cheap pen that I had to refill every few lines, but after my pen exploded all over my page, I stopped doing that.

I think the best you can do with a teacher like this is attempt to take good notes, and when this fails, take bad notes. Also try to break the monotony yourself; it takes a surprising amount of effort, but it might just work.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

You’re crazy, Willow. I’m only taking 7. Any more would possibly kill me.

12 AP exams? That’s freakin’ insane. I’m probably taking 9 at maximum, because choir takes space in my schedule.\

I took one my freshman year, one my sophomore year, two my junior year, and eight my senior year.

I bombed AP Calculus AB (woooo for scoring a 1! Lowest possible score for the win/fail!)

I got a 3 on AP Art History and 4s/5s on everything else.

I took one my freshman year, one my sophomore year, two my junior year, and eight my senior year.

Hmmm…which number doesn’t belong? Seriously, though, that’s a huge jump, 2 to 8. I don’t even think it’s possible to take 8 AP classes in a year at my high school.

Damn, a 1!!! Two kids in AP Physics got that.

Lets see: I have AP Latin, AP lit, AP language, AP physics C, AP Quantam Physics, AP Calculus BC, AP Euro, AP World, and AP gov ahead of me in my plan for high school.

That is 9 more to add to the one I have already taken. So I will end up with 10- I might drop 1 of the Science and/or one of the English classes.
    History is definitely my main subject.
    • CommentAuthorJinx
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010

If you need help you could go get help from the other teacher, that's worked for a few of my friends. We had a math teacher that hated our class and he was incredibly mean to us.
    Same SWQ- I mean, we only have 8 periods in a day!
    It is not about needing help Jinx, it is about getting through an incredibly boring class taught by a nice teacher. I could go on for rants Paolini-esque style about how boring he is.

I mean, we only have 8 periods in a day!

I have 4 periods in a day, and one of them is taken up by choir. My school has a weird schedule system. But yeah, now I feel under-accomplished. I am considering taking AP Physics C but currently I’m scared shitless of it.

So far, I have taken: AP Calculus AB and AP Chemistry
    This year, I’m taking: AP Calculus BC, AP US History, AP Biology
    And senior year I’m planning on: AP US Government, AP English Language, and an AP Physics of some sort.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010 edited

Hmmm…which number doesn’t belong? Seriously, though, that’s a huge jump, 2 to 8. I don’t even think it’s possible to take 8 AP classes in a year at my high school

We had 7 periods a day, one of which was choir for me. APs were intended as upper level courses, so you couldn’t take them until junior/senior year, for the most part.

The basic subjects my school required everyone take every year were: a math, a science, an english class, a history class, a language class, and two electives. My senior year was the first time that the math, science, and language options were AP (AP Calculus, AP Biology, and AP Spanish Language & Composition).

The way I took 8 AP exams despite having only 7 classes (one of which was choir) is that 4 of my APs were one-semester courses. First semester I had AP Government and AP Psychology, second semester I had AP Art History and AP Macroeconomics.

If anyone is curious, the full list was AP World History (4), AP US History (5), AP English Language & Composition (4), AP European History (5), AP Biology (5), AP Literature & Composition (5), AP Calculus (1), AP Spanish Language & Composition (4), AP US Government (5), AP Macroeconomics (5), AP Art History (3), and AP Psychology (5).

Dont be scared of AP Physics C- it is actually easier than AP Physics B (what I took) because knowing Calculus allows you to take many shortcuts in equations and stuff.

And knowing trig is really helpful to for all of the force stuff- one of the most common Physics questions is pushing a block up a slope, and finding all the forces.

Just for curiosity's sakes, these would be: Force on Block, Gravitational Force, Friction, and possibly Wind Resistance. If there was a pully involved than you would also have to find the tension in the rope as well.

@ Willow: That’s really impressive. Just saying.

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach

I wrote the first 8 chapters of a novel while in a boring geology class. I just pretended I was taking extremely intensive notes. Plus, the novel turned out pretty well.

I even managed to get a C in the class.

•  
      CommentAuthorTANSTAAFL

I deal with it by dropping the course and switching to a more challenging one. Or I force myself to go through it if it’s a requirement.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010 edited

Listen to everything, and try to find ways of relating it back you your writingf or worldbuilding. That’s how I got through the most boriong Ancient Greek Lit. and Philosophy lectures ever. (Don’t get me wrong, ancient greek literature is awesome, but this particular teacher… I never fell asleep in class, except for that one. It was like Prof. Binns had chosen to talk about Vogon literature instead of the goblin wars.

Anyway, yeah. Try to relate it back to something you find more interesting, like your own work. Or, in dire situations, H.P. fanfiction. Like how Transfiguration can be explained as a reassembling of the molecular and subatomic bonds between particles, and therefore the whole “transfiguration into gold is impossible” law is false. Among other things.

I like to draw eyes. People looking at my notes often think I’m a weirdo, but I can’t draw the rest of the face, so there you go.

Late, but I used to do this all the time. ;)

And I have to agree with the general consensus here. Doodling is very handy when you have a boring class.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Eurrrgh, boring teachers are the worst. I have an incredibly active imagination, see, which is quite handy most of the time. I’m sure it drives my family crazy, but yes, when I look like I’m not paying attention to you, it’s because I’m not and I’m really thinking about the political repercussions of supernatural creatures existing in the modern day or something. While this keeps me entertained through most boring things, when it comes to classes it’s a terrible thing… if I get even slightly sidetracked by thinking about something, I completely miss what the teacher’s saying!

So… yeah, daydreaming is OK, but remember to keep an ear open for what the teacher says. I always forget that rule.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

You’ve read Harry Potter, right? Just start comparing everything to Hogwarts. Your boring chemistry teacher is Professor Binns, and you’re just waiting for the moment when he’ll walk through the blackboard.

Or if Harry Potter isn’t your thing, compare it to something else. Professor Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters, maybe. Or Arkham Asylum, even.

In other words, daydream in a way that helps you pay attention.

Your boring chemistry teacher is Professor Binns, and you’re just waiting for the moment when he’ll walk through the blackboard.

Wasn’t Binns famous for being boring beyond reason? You might as well pretend he’s an interesting ghost.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Wasn’t Binns famous for being boring beyond reason? You might as well pretend he’s an interesting ghost.

Hey, it helped me finish my chemistry class wtih a B, so I guess it worked. Even if “Professor Binns” never did explain how to calculate moles or why we needed to learn it.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

@Swenson: I have the exact same problem. It helps when I’m writing stories, but trying to get through lessons when your mind is thinking about much more interesting things isn’t too great.

Anyway, there’s some pretty good advice in here. I can’t draw, so doodling just makes me feel worse, but doing what Taku said and relating things to my characters or plots works.

I can definitely try that out. Today I thought about what the upcoming NBA season would be like, and then doodled for a bit. I didnt miss a thing.

We are still busy memorizing the periodic table. IT IS SO FUN!

not.

We are still busy memorizing the periodic table.

Why are you memorizing the periodic table? That seems pretty useless, as if you’re taking an exam or whatever you’re usually allowed to have it in front of you. And I don’t believe chemists make important discoveries by memorizing the periodic table either. Waste of time in my opinion.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Heh, my sister’s a chemist, and this one time she was looking at my chemistry homework. “You have to memorize all that stuff?? We just look it up if we need to use it!”

• CommentAuthorNo One

Boring class taught by a nice teacher? I have that problem myself.

It’s somewhat easier to bear because being a Special Education student, I’m allowed to skip class for 45 minutes. But that’s just 45 mins out of 5 hours. Other than skipping class, the other way I deal with boring talk is watch everyone else. You have no idea just how interesting it can be to watch body language. You can look at a person and try to guess what’s going on in their mind and sometimes it’s quite funny.

Also, I seem to notice a trend with boring/bad/disliked teachers and hearing problems.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010

Doodling doesn't always work. I was jotting down story stuff once during a boring video and my professor got annoyed.